homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Teufelchen (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Teufelchen
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
And I've come to the realisation you're a cocksucker, so what?

Oh yes, taste and see that Ad Orientem is good. My what wondrous things you've learned by your conversion.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fuck off you cunt. You don't get to make such accusations. Oh yeah, and I fucked your mum.

This reminds me of the motorist who was so incensed about my failure as a cyclist to stop at a red light that he took off after me and tried to run me down. When he was caught by the police he claimed to be acting in the name of road safety.

So here we have, in defense of the Faith delivered unto the Saints, a rather stereotypical, unpleasant and misogynistic insult. Which is really saying something among these pagans and heathens. And cannot be what God wants from us.

You could learn something about yourself here.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fat chance of that. He's been very consistant.
He is a homophobic, misogynist, at-least–borderline anti-Semite bigot.
If this is after conversion, how bad was he before?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why waste your time trying to reason with the wilfully stupid? Some people have a self determination to remain lost that is nothing short of astonishing and they will even use their faith as cement.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having waded through the original thread, you can clearly see where, on page 3, AD vanished up his own anus.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
No. I couldn't care less. I don't believe their prayers have any value.

Um... just wondering... in your belief, whose prayers do have any value? Do those of (non-Christian) Jews? Muslims? Protestants? Roman Catholics?
God heard the prayers of Cornelius the Centurion while Cornelius was still a pagan. St. Peter initially wasn't too happy with that, either.

Ad Orientem, have you checked your calendar lately? Please do. It is Great Lent. If you missed the Gospel readings for the pre-Lenten Sundays, you might want to go back and do some quick reviews. The Gospel of the Publican and the Pharisee comes particularly to mind.

And after you've done that, please go to your prayer corner and say your prayers.

Oh, I agree about God hearing people's prayers--but I am (and after this post, still) wondering what Ad Orientem believes about them. I have an uncomfortable suspicion--please, Ad Orientem, tell me it's wrong [Frown] -- that you (Ad Orientem) will tell me that you believe God does not listen to the prayers of Protestants or Roman Catholics or anyone but big-O Orthodox, because everyone else is (and is willfully) schismatic, or something. Forgive me, but that's the attitude I perceive in some of your posts. I hope I am wrong.

I find this very well-said, Josephine--and for my part, it does strike me that perhaps the whole matter of the Publican and the Pharisee might apply to some of us who are also patting ourselves on the back for not acting/thinking/posting like Ad Orientem as well, myself included. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 27. February 2015, 19:42: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
He is a homophobic, misogynist, at-least–borderline anti-Semite bigot.

No borderline about it.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
quote:
No. I couldn't care less. I don't believe their prayers have any value.

Um... just wondering... in your belief, whose prayers do have any value? Do those of (non-Christian) Jews? Muslims? Protestants? Roman Catholics?
God heard the prayers of Cornelius the Centurion while Cornelius was still a pagan. St. Peter initially wasn't too happy with that, either.

Ad Orientem, have you checked your calendar lately? Please do. It is Great Lent. If you missed the Gospel readings for the pre-Lenten Sundays, you might want to go back and do some quick reviews. The Gospel of the Publican and the Pharisee comes particularly to mind.

And after you've done that, please go to your prayer corner and say your prayers.

Oh, I agree about God hearing people's prayers--but I am (and after this post, still) wondering what Ad Orientem believes about them. I have an uncomfortable suspicion--please, Ad Orientem, tell me it's wrong [Frown] -- that you (Ad Orientem) will tell me that you believe God does not listen to the prayers of Protestants or Roman Catholics or anyone but big-O Orthodox, because everyone else is (and is willfully) schismatic, or something. Forgive me, but that's the attitude I perceive in some of your posts. I hope I am wrong.

I find this very well-said, Josephine--and for my part, it does strike me that perhaps the whole matter of the Publican and the Pharisee might apply to some of us who are also patting ourselves on the back for not acting/thinking/posting like Ad Orientem as well, myself included. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans. The example that was given was that of scientologists, and I certainly don't believe that God listens to their prayers. They're a weird cult.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your god doesn't seem to understand grace.
My understanding of god, is that God created all, listens to all, desires relationship with all.

To argue 'I am less wrong than you' seems to be splitting hairs.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
To argue 'I am less wrong than you' seems to be splitting hairs.

But that's not what I'm arguing at all. I don't believe that the Apostolic faith is "less wrong" than anyone else. I believe that it is the truth, as our Lord promised.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, we all believe we are right.
What makes you righter than me?

Or to put in another way. I don't believe every tenet you hold as truth too be true. Or anyone's, including myself. Hence I am rather a fan of grace- because I believe we all need it.

[ 28. February 2015, 00:39: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Of course we all need grace. That anything exists at all is proof of God's grace, I would argue. I just don't believe that faith is relative.
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AO, if you've a compassionate bone in your body, get the fuck out of the 'Kristallnacht 2.0' thread. Your posts there are poisoning it.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, some people at my fund. church thought that the first prayer God listens to is when the person prays to become a Christian.

I think that's utter, utter crap. I'm a universalist. But, even with a really strict view of salvation, etc., what about the sheep & goats clause? People who haven't heard? God's going to just plug Her ears?

If God doesn't listen to everyone's prayers, wishes, doubts, etc., how are people ever supposed to make it to the point of that conversion prayer?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Golden Key: When I was a kid, some people at my fund. church thought that the first prayer God listens to is when the person prays to become a Christian.
I've never prayed to become a Christian. I've never converted.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc--

No worries. It's just that fund/evo churches strongly emphasize a conscious, personal decision. (AKA "asking Jesus into your heart".)

This creates a conundrum--and some deep worry--for many people who grow up fund/evo, but never made a specific decision. They wonder if they're really Christians, or if they're deceiving themselves and going to hell.

I made a personal decision when I was very young, all on my own. But many's the time I prayed, "if I'm not already saved..."

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
AO, if you've a compassionate bone in your body, get the fuck out of the 'Kristallnacht 2.0' thread. Your posts there are poisoning it.

He is poisoning it and he's not going to leave, just keep asserting the same lies. However much that preempts the discussion of the thread, it is educational for those who wonder about the origins of anti-Semitism in Europe. I see him as a nasty 17th century Christian of the sort modern Christians like to forget existed.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will never for the life of me understand why people just don't ignore someone who is wrecking a thread like that.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans. The example that was given was that of scientologists, and I certainly don't believe that God listens to their prayers. They're a weird cult.

Okay, what about the rest of them?

quote:

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans.

God heard the prayers of Cornelius the centurion.

I understand that the Orthodox Church in Finland doesn't follow either the Old Calendar or the New Calendar. Is it Lent there yet? When you talk to your priest about your Lenten fast, you might talk with him about the way you talk to people on the Internet. Fasting from certain kinds of words might do your soul as much good as fasting from meat and dairy.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Josephine [Overused]

Queen of Hell, indeed! [Biased]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can God not listen to anything? Does he stick his fingers in his ears?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[qb] I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans.

I thought Christians worshipped an omniscient God. I didn't know he was partially deaf.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
No worries. It's just that fund/evo churches strongly emphasize a conscious, personal decision. (AKA "asking Jesus into your heart".)

This creates a conundrum--and some deep worry--for many people who grow up fund/evo, but never made a specific decision. They wonder if they're really Christians, or if they're deceiving themselves and going to hell. <snip>

As someone who grew up as a fairly traditional Christian I have been told by more than one fundie / evo Christian that I am not a Christian for similar reasons.

Ad Orientem - you are not only representing your particular version of Orthodox Christianity on the Ship but also you are the only active Finnish poster at the moment. Do you think you're giving anyone an impression of Finland and the Finnish people that any of your countrymen or women would acknowledge or be proud to own? Certainly it's not the impression that I have gained from the Finnish friends I have made through the photography boards (I've even met some of them). Or is it just a quirk of the 1%¹ of Finnish people who are Orthodox?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon, are there really so many shipmates stupid enough to draw conclusions about Finland based on one person's posts? Esa-Pekka Salonen is Finnish, but I don't think all Finns are conductors and composers. Värttinä is Finnish, but I don't think all Finnish women are in folk music bands.

And I don't think all Finns are crypto-fascist anti-semitic assholes like AO.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I'm not sure how Putin clambered onto this thread. But, given Finland's many past problems with Russia and the Soviet Union, I'm surprised any Finn wants anything to do with Putin and Russia.

Unless maybe they have Russian ancestry?

I have a Finnish relative with whom I share a Russian ancestry. As she understands it, Finland's attitude to Russia is: 'this is our neighbour, and we just have to live with that.' She agrees that's the only sensible policy and so do I.

FWIW I, too, think Putin is an evil bastard, but that doesn't mean that there aren't two sides to the Ukraine story. Both sides have done things that are pretty hard to justify.

Otherwise, Ad Orientem, what everyone else said.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I certainly don't believe that God listens to their prayers.

And would God have been able to hear your OP?

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I read the OP, all I could think of was Darth Vader saying, "Luke! I am your father!" I doubt that was the effect AO was trying to achieve. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can be sure that the OP was posted by someone conscious of the presence of the Holy Spirit, about Whom the poster has very precise beliefs.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Esa-Pekka Salonen is Finnish, but I don't think all Finns are conductors and composers.

But all the ones anyone's ever heard of are- unless they're racing drivers [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mousethief: How can God not listen to anything? Does he stick his fingers in his ears?
If you pray really loud, He goes "lalalala" too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two Finns walk into a bar and order a couple of Lonkeros. As they get their order, one says "kippis" to the other.

The latter growls back "are we here to talk, or to drink?"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Esa-Pekka Salonen is Finnish, but I don't think all Finns are conductors and composers.

But all the ones anyone's ever heard of are- unless they're racing drivers [Smile]
I know a Finnish author. He's nice. He looks like an elf. I still can't pronounce his surname though.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Clearly the mobile phone designers, champion wife-carriers and air guitarists aren't well known outside Finland.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will never for the life of me understand why people just don't ignore someone who is wrecking a thread like that.

Because the Ship is more than just its active users, and it does the lurkers no good to let actively antisemitic views go unchallenged. But I admit that I was dismayed by just how quickly AO's level of argumentation dropped to describing my input as 'bollocks'. It's the mixture of vileness and incompetence which is so especially aggravating.

Another thought: 'Just ignore it' is fine advice to someone like me who doesn't have to live with the consequences of antisemitism on a daily basis. But many people don't have that privilege. I'm less able to shrug off homo/biphobia, or bigotry against people with disabilities. That shit actively contributes to making my daily life harder. It's not a huge leap of imagination to see that other forms of bigotry have the same effect on the people they target. I prefer not to pass by on the other side.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Clearly the mobile phone designers, champion wife-carriers and air guitarists aren't well known outside Finland.
A folk-metal band and the world's greatest sniper also spring to mind.

t

--------------------
Little devil

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Teufelchen: A folk-metal band and the world's greatest sniper also spring to mind.
A certain Finnish girl I met on the slopes of Mount Snowdon long ago ...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. Just read about Simo Häyhä, the sniper. 500 men shot dead, in just over three (mostly dark) months is unreal.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a moment I read Sami Hyypiä there.

Anyway, Teufelchen is right about standing up to Liturgy Wanker. Anti-semitism won't go away if we ignore it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another thought: 'Just ignore it' is fine advice to someone like me who doesn't have to live with the consequences of antisemitism on a daily basis. But many people don't have that privilege. I'm less able to shrug off homo/biphobia, or bigotry against people with disabilities. That shit actively contributes to making my daily life harder. It's not a huge leap of imagination to see that other forms of bigotry have the same effect on the people they target. I prefer not to pass by on the other side.

"Just ignore it" as advice about hate that can lead to violence against minorities is majority privilege talking. The minority can't just ignore it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I wonder what percentage of the Orthodox population of Finland is actually comprised of people of Russian descent who immigrated or got left behind after the various invasions and occupations, versus people whose ancestry is long-line Finnish. I'm thinking it may not be terribly surprising for an Orthodox Finn to be nonchalant about the Russians invading. It's their comrades.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a grown man.

Well, obviously we'd have to check with Teufelchen's mother about that. Wouldn't we? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

"Just ignore it" as advice about hate that can lead to violence against minorities is majority privilege talking. The minority can't just ignore it.
Depends on the context.

Violence against minorities is helped by rhetoric, but much more so by social support of people in the minority. You can spend your time attempting to soften the cranium of some fatally entrenched blockhead of a anti semite, or you can call a local synagogue, ask if you can join them on their next work day, and help pretty up their garden.

On SOF, the latter would translate into stepping over the inflammatory, antagonistic post and joining voices with the reasonable people. That can be a powerful statement in and of itself.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

I seriously doubt that standing up to AO on the boards is going to make a bit of difference. It's certainly not going to change his mind.

quote:

Ignoring AO's bullshit isn't necessarily passing by on the other side. Refusing to engage with him entirely shuts him out of the conversation. I think once he has posted one anti-semitic thing on a thread, one person should point out that he has done so, and from there on everyone should scroll right past his posts and not give him the time of day or space in their heads. His posts are beneath contempt -- and should be treated as beneath our notice. Engaging with him only gives him an excuse for posting more bullshit.

[ 28. February 2015, 15:24: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

What? Because I think it is a good thing to pray for their conversion? If you think this is a bad thing then I say this is a betrayal of the gospel. This is essentially what it boils down to. I haven't and never will condone violence against anyone but it's not the fault of the prayers. If we as a result a abandon our prayers and believe that they need not convert then we have betrayed our faith.

[ 28. February 2015, 17:26: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Fuck off you cunt. You don't get to make such accusations. Oh yeah, and I fucked your mum.

Whereas you couldn't possibly call this a betrayal of one's faith.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not that often you get people calling themselves 'motherfucker'. It's a self-description which I fancy will hover over AO as long as he remains on these Boards.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wonder what percentage of the Orthodox population of Finland is actually comprised of people of Russian descent who immigrated or got left behind after the various invasions and occupations, versus people whose ancestry is long-line Finnish. I'm thinking it may not be terribly surprising for an Orthodox Finn to be nonchalant about the Russians invading. It's their comrades.

Come on, mt, you know better than that. Just because someone has Russian ancestry it doesn't mean that they support Putin; it doesn't meant that they support Russia's (alleged) territorial ambitions; and it doesn't mean that they would be happy to see their own country invaded. In fact, quite a number of Finns with Russian ancestry would presumably be descendants of people who fled that part of Karelia which was ceded to the USSR.

Wikipedia reckons that Orthodoxen male up about 1% of Finland's population. But that's still nearly 60,000 people. What chance do you think there is of them all sharing AO's opinion, as opposed to him being a dickhead in a minority of one?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's not that often you get people calling themselves 'motherfucker'. It's a self-description which I fancy will hover over AO as long as he remains on these Boards.

Hmmm, Mother Russia, motherfucker. It was he who brought mothers into this discussion, after all. The all-seeing all-knowing, fascist matriarch of his or her fantasies that he or she wants to fuck like it's 1939.

As it is, I can't get over the thought of him or her with a copy of whatever old rite he's into in one hand, and his or her other hand playing merry hell with that that wants fun with his or her mother, hence my name for him: Liturgy Wanker. Wanking not being a bad thing, per se, but with a liturgy book in the other hand...

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

For the record, I don't have any Russian ancestry. My grandmother's family was from Finnish Karelia and her father died in the Winter War fighting the Soviets. I never have said nay or yay regarding Putin. I just have a problem with Western, in particular American, hypocrisy and Anglophone Russophobia. And no one knows the Finnish psyche except Finns. We are a people understood only by ourselves.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016