homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I Hate Daylight Savings Time (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Hate Daylight Savings Time
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AUGH! It messes up your circadian rhythm, it makes people have road accidents (so I've heard), it means my little angels are going to be all discombobulated on Monday when they take an important standardized test that could determine what math(s) class they're in in their first year of high school.

(I'd have put this in TICTH but there doesn't seem to be one at the mo.)

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!!11!!!!1!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That time again?

Not that it bothers me. a) I've just arrived back in Japan so my internal clock is screwed anyway, and b) Japan rather sensibly doesn't do this mucking around with the clocks thing.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
when they take an important standardized test that could determine what math(s) class they're in in their first year of high school

I hate those fucking standardized tests more and more.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not fond of it, either.

Maybe suggest to the little angels that they get some extra sleep that weekend? And make sure they have breakfast on the morning of the test? (Unless this is a school where there are apt to be kids who don't have access to breakfast.)

Or skip school, and take a make-up test. [Biased]

MT to principal: "Ack, Your Greatness, it seems that some kind of virus has my entire class down for the count. And (cough, cough) I'm not feeling so well, myself. Guess we'll have to postpone the test. How does on the 12th of Never sound?"

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Move to Arizona.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
That time again?

Not that it bothers me. a) I've just arrived back in Japan so my internal clock is screwed anyway, and b) Japan rather sensibly doesn't do this mucking around with the clocks thing.

Have you spent a summer in Fukushima yet? When I lived in Sendai, I found sunrise before 4 AM to be really annoying.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try living in a high latitude. We have a couple of months where sunrise is pretty much as soon as it sets.

Also, comet will be along to mock you shortly.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A strange thing. Some years ago we holidayed in Brittany, France. Being in continental Europe, its time is an hour ahead of British time. But we were actually as far west as Devon or Cornwall.

Result: in August it didn't get light till 7 am, and didn't get dark till 10 pm. We got off the ferry early, and looked to have breakfast in a café in the next large town on the road - but, even at 8 o'clock, nothing was open!

Winter mornings, even that far south, must be dark and gloomy.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupid fucking pointless outdated concept being clung to by morons who think it will somehow make us "relavent" if we are just as pathetically bass-ackward as the rest of the idiot country that is completely out of tune with the motherfucking SUN for god's sake.

Don't get me started.

But sometime I can tell you all about the time I cancelled it on the radio and completely fucked up the whole town. Good times!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do I take it, then, that you are not entirely in favour of it?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Have you spent a summer in Fukushima yet? When I lived in Sendai, I found sunrise before 4 AM to be really annoying.

I was here in July a couple of years back, and again last year. The hotel had good curtains.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give my cat insulin and minced chicken, which activity the dog gets up to supervise, at 6AM and 6PM. We all three spend about a month getting that rescheduled in our little brains at each time change.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate it too [Mad]

It's pointless - you get no more light, so why fiddle about with when you get it?

Stupidly pointless [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss it!
I live on a pretty much equatorial latitude these days (about 3 deg N, I think), so sun up / sun down is pretty consistent all year, and then for years and years before, I lived in Korea where they willfully ignore the opportunity for long summer evenings.
It still affects me though, because I will often tune into my favourite NZ radio shows online only to find they have already finished, or won't be starting for another hour. That's just March and October, though. I'll get used to it in a few weeks.
It's not so much the mornings; I don't care about the mornings (as long as I have my coffee and my peace and quiet), but I really do like the long summer evenings.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it, love it, love it. The arrival of DST in March is the only faint glimmer of hope I have that spring will one day arrive. I realize it's a false hope -- sunset is getting later anyway, by natural means, and shifting the clock ahead only creates the illusion that it's happening faster than it is -- but for someone like me who bitterly hates winter and lives in a place with a long, cold, hard winter, that illusion of hope is the one thing that keeps me going through March and April.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
crunt: I live on a pretty much equatorial latitude these days (about 3 deg N, I think)
Ha! I live 1.5° South. But I think MrsBeaky wins on this one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate DST now that I live at Longitude 80.31 in Virginia. When I lived at Longitude 71.47 in New Hampshire, it wasn't so bad. Even with DST the sun rose at 5 AM in June.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Baptist Trainfan: A strange thing. Some years ago we holidayed in Brittany, France. Being in continental Europe, its time is an hour ahead of British time. But we were actually as far west as Devon or Cornwall.
I think you can blame the nazi's for that?

I live in the North of Brazil, which doesn't have DST because it's close the Equator. The South of Brazil, where the big cities are (Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo ...) does. So, what we notice about DST in the North is that the television programmes shift by one hour.

[ 07. March 2015, 11:34: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really, really, really hated it when the dastardly Murricans decided to start it in March during the last so-called energy crisis. For those of us further north, an end-April start made much more sense. I also enjoyed the last week of October change. But the Canadian government, as usual kowtowing to commercial interests, followed the Murrican lead blindly, This excludes Saskatchewan where they have always understood that contented cows have priority over brainless people.

Trudy, I was in Newfoundland for a few weeks in 1987 when the province experimented with double time and a half daylight saving. I used to come back to my hotel room after a hard day's work and would turn on the TV to get some news from Ontario. Instead I found myself watching the beginning of Question Period in the House of Commons.

I was grateful that this only lasted one year.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love DST -- in the fall, when it gives me an extra hour's sleep by ending.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. Moving the clocks is a pain in the arse and pointless, especially when you live in the north. No doubt it's a waste of a lot of money as well.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Move to Arizona.
[Big Grin]

No daylight savings, except in those parts of the state inside the Navajo Nation.

Try this as an itinerary:

Friday: Fly into Nevada after changing planes in Chicago.
Saturday: Enter Utah.
Monday: Enter Arizona
Tuesday: Enter Navajo Reservation.
Wednesday: Back into non-Navajo Arizona.
Friday: Fly out of Arizona via California.

And you think changing your time zone twice a year is bad...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love daylight saving and am not looking forward to it finishing in a few short weeks. The long sun filled evenings are a real joy particularly when I live so far to the south of the equator.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate it as well. Noon should be at noon.

That is all.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

So, you advocate time zones changing every few km? Because, otherwise noon will be noon at only a very few locations with current time zones.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, you advocate time zones changing every few km? Because, otherwise noon will be noon at only a very few locations with current time zones.

This is hell - logic is not required. I like noon being at noon, because the day has the right shape.

The logic is substantially in favour of BST, in that the hour is much more useful at the end of the day than the beginning, but I still hate it because it feels wrong.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never really understood why they adopted it over here. It really makes no difference: the sun's still up when you wake up and go to bed in the summer. Utterly pointless.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just keep it on GMT all year round. People always used to manage.

I hate it being daylight at 4.30 am and still daylight at 10 pm. It feels completely unnatural and you lose sleep that way. I want day and night to be roughly equal, or failing that, dawn around 5.30-6am and sunset around 7.30-8ish.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So you want to live somewhere there's 13-14 hours daylight and 10-11 hours of night per 24 hours?

That isn't even wrong.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
But sometime I can tell you all about the time I cancelled it on the radio and completely fucked up the whole town. Good times!

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Also, comet will be along to mock you shortly.

Or not.

quote:
Stupid fucking pointless outdated concept being clung to by morons

quote:
So you want to live somewhere there's 13-14 hours daylight and 10-11 hours of night per 24 hours?

That isn't even wrong.

Until the planet becomes a cylinder, that's going to be the way of life for gazillions of people.

--------------------

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The biggest pain in the arse with the clocks changing is having small children. Half-pint's body clock has been very fine tuned since he was about 6 months old, and so the clocks changing inevitably results in a very small child waking up an hour out of sync with everyone else and being impossibly grumpy for about 3 days as you try to get him back to a normal routine. This is only avoidable with a week of prior military-precision pre-planning and routine shifting which is almost as irritating to execute!
Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That isn't even wrong.

It's what I want. Got a problem with that?
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
crunt: I live on a pretty much equatorial latitude these days (about 3 deg N, I think)
Ha! I live 1.5° South. But I think MrsBeaky wins on this one.
Had to check on Google as I can never carry numbers in my head and our town is 0.5167° N so pretty much the same all year round.
When living in the UK I don't actually mind the changing seasons and daylight hours but my poor husband really suffers in the winter darkness so I get why it annoys people especially when animals and/or kids have to adjust....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Move to Arizona.
[Big Grin]

Or Saskatchewan.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have catch an 8:00 am flight tomorrow morning. Now trying to remember which of my alarm clocks automatically convert and which don't.
Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It used to be kinda like that in the US: before the railways came through and enforced 'standard time' to keep themselves organized.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least they don't call it 'summer time' here the way we used to. With over 6 inches of hard frozen crusty snow outside and the thermometer reading -10C, that's just as well. I always refer to it as GW Bush time, as he was the idiot whose administration brought it forward to such a daft date. It's not my favourite time to year, with two different time shifts and two different Mother's Days to deal with. One of them always gets missed.

My thanks to Comet for her heartfelt echo of my own feelings, and for actually doing something about it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

That isn't even wrong.

Since there's nowhere on the planet (or pretty much, the solar system) that gives you more net daylight than night across a year, I'm just going to side with orbital mechanics.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pick a time, any time, and stick to it!

quote:
the frequency of heart attacks, traffic accidents and workplace injuries--which are usually very expensive to treat--goes up dramatically when we change the clocks,
article
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

That isn't even wrong.

Since there's nowhere on the planet (or pretty much, the solar system) that gives you more net daylight than night across a year, I'm just going to side with orbital mechanics.
I don't see "across a year" in your original post.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just keep it on GMT all year round. People always used to manage.

For all people in all places at all times. God's Mean Time will do.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of us at 60, we're currently gaining an hour of daylight a week. So with the time change, we get completely thrown out of whack for one week worth of change and then we've flown past it anyway. It's pointless and stupid. Our idiot leaders think fucking everyone up for no reason twice a year is going to keep our economy happy. Because, I dunno, if we don't arbitrarily fuck with the clocks twice a year, Outside investors will all forget we exist or something.

It's up for discussion in our legislature yet again. The screaming of the coming Doomsday is particularly loud right now. This is what happens when you send al your most intellectually challenged alcoholic rednecks to office.

As for solar noon: when I was a kid, AK had 4 time zones. Then those same "pubic servants" decided we needed to (almost) all be on one timezone. So! Between that and DST, solar noon in Atka during the winter is around dinner time. Helpful, huh?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for solar noon: when I was a kid, AK had 4 time zones. Then those same "pubic servants" decided we needed to (almost) all be on one timezone. So! Between that and DST, solar noon in Atka during the winter is around dinner time. Helpful, huh?

Do you have a solar anything in the winter?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's up for discussion in our legislature yet again. The screaming of the coming Doomsday is particularly loud right now. This is what happens when you send al your most intellectually challenged alcoholic rednecks to office.

Arizona has the southern version of your Legislature.

In January a brand new Legislator decided his claim to fame would be bringing DST to Arizona. The backlash was so bad it was withdrawn before it ever got to Committee.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That isn't even wrong.

I don't see "across a year" in your original post.
Well, considering anyone living north or south of 20 degrees will have roughly two periods either side of the summer solstice which fit the original request, I kind of assumed that Ariel was wanting it all year round. Which is ... impossible. Literally impossible. So I really don't know where you're going with this.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, I want it all year round, yes it is impossible. Ideally I'd like day and night to be equal length, and for the Equator to be moved to the northern hemisphere. I recognize that life isn't ideal, and that probably won't happen, but it doesn't stop me wanting it and it won't stop me complaining about it from time to time.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( puts on Golden Key costume and begins plucking a zither.)

... And the seasons, they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on a carousel of ti-iime...

[ 07. March 2015, 17:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I agree with DST haters on the issue. Bloody bureaucrats who invented it, and now seem unable to change back to a single time all year round. [Mad]

As there's daylight longer into the evenings, people are outside until late, creating constant noise and hassle. Not a problem as such - but the following morning, you'll have to get up nonetheless to go to work, so you'll definitely lose out in the end, I feel.

I still believe I used to have considerably more quiet and more quality rest before they started with these idiotic long evenings!!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Yes, I want it all year round, yes it is impossible. Ideally I'd like day and night to be equal length, and for the Equator to be moved to the northern hemisphere. I recognize that life isn't ideal, and that probably won't happen, but it doesn't stop me wanting it and it won't stop me complaining about it from time to time.

Fair enough. I like that we have seasons.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016