homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I Hate Daylight Savings Time (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Hate Daylight Savings Time
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like DST, and I like it in that we bring it in with the weekend right after equinox in Europe.
I like it because it's a ritual, even a festivity, like those loonies celebrating summer solstice. You reset every clock in the house (except the fancy modern electronic equipment) and so do all your neighbours. It's communal. And then, for 7 months forth, you delight in long evenings.
The sun does not rise at 4 in the morning, but at 5, when it becomes useful, and it does not set at 20h, but and 21h, when it is still useful.
Then, come October, you enter a state of mourning as winter approaches, but are duly consoled by a hot chocolate and an extra hour of sleep - in my case were it not for the molopatas jr. who are yet to learn the deeper meaning of it all and simply haul you out of bed an hour earlier.

Thus I am shocked at the irreverence and profanity uttered on this thread and the unbridled inability of some posters to grasp the life-affirming significance of this simple seasonal joy which gives so much structure and meaning to the existence of some of us in the latitudes of 30° - 55°.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An analogy:

You decide you don't like where your living room table is. It needs to be against the north wall of the room, not the south wall. So you demolish your entire house, leaving the table in situ, and rebuild it just under a room's width further south, so that the table is now in the right place.

And then you do it again, six months later, in reverse.

And if you ask people why we do this to our clocks, you'll hear them say things like 'Oh, it's because of the farmers'. Because obviously the cows and the chickens know the clocks have changed, and will oblige Farmer Smith with an extra hour in bed. Or we're told it's for the schoolchildren, who obviously love it when their school arbitrarily finishes an hour later just as the nights are drawing in at their fastest.

DST is superstition and waste on a global scale. Its existence is testament to the gullibility of governments. It makes no more sense than the legendary Indiana Pi Bill of 1897, but it's been passed by governments the world over.

Want thing to happen earlier, relative to local mean solar noon? Here's the secret: do them earlier.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or to quote (supposedly) an old Native American chief, "Who the hell thinks that cutting the end off of a blanket and sewing it onto the other end yields a longer blanket?"

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I hate it too [Mad]

It's pointless - you get no more light, so why fiddle about with when you get it?

Stupidly pointless [Mad]

Yeah, let's just flip the clock by 12 hours and work from what is currently 9pm until what is currently 5am. Makes no difference whatsoever!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
Or to quote (supposedly) an old Native American chief, "Who the hell thinks that cutting the end off of a blanket and sewing it onto the other end yields a longer blanket?"

To quote me: Who the hell thinks that's actually a sensible analogy, with its complete lack of analysis about what is movable and what isn't?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

To quote me: Who the hell thinks that's actually a sensible analogy, with its complete lack of analysis about what is movable and what isn't?
Mmm, it's kind of like my analogy, but with a racist-looking vague attribution and a complete lack of actual analogy to the matter in hand.

t

--------------------
Little devil

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:
quote:

Mmm, it's kind of like my analogy, but with a racist-looking vague attribution and a complete lack of actual analogy to the matter in hand.

t

Yours is considerably better, yes.

We could get into an interesting debate as to the practicality of actually shifting everyone's work hours, school hours, after-hours events etc etc by one hour at various times of year, and how there'd end up being a lack of consensus and a whole bunch of complaints in both directions (why didn't you shift X when Y was shifted, why did you shift Y when X wasn't shifted, and so on and so forth), and then we could discuss whether maybe imposing a universal rule for the whole of society is actually more efficient than a whole bunch of independent decisions to put the extra hours of daylight later in the day when they're more useful to more people (contrary to Boogie's claim that it makes absolutely no difference WHEN the hours of sunlight are available, apparently believing that light is equally useful at any time on the clock), and then we could reflect on how modern lives are controlled more by the figures on the timepiece than by the natural solar cycle and consider whether it's legitimate to adjust the solar cycle to fit in with the more dominant system.

Or as this is Hell, we could just skip all that and yell at each other.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
I like it because it's a ritual, even a festivity, like those loonies celebrating summer solstice. You reset every clock in the house (except the fancy modern electronic equipment) and so do all your neighbours. It's communal.

Huh? It would be communal if we threw parties and everyone brought all their clocks and set them forward in a little ceremony and then got hilariously tipsy. Going around the apartment to each clock in turn by myself and swearing at the microwave because I can never remember how to set it is not communal.

quote:
And then, for 7 months forth, you delight in long evenings.
No, and then, for at least a month, you get up in the dark when you could have been getting up in the light if it weren't for the goddamned fucking time change, and you drag your ass into work and pray to God that no one will talk to you till you've had two cups of coffee and the time has reached the time you'd have come in if it weren't for the goddamned fucking time change.

quote:
The sun does not rise at 4 in the morning, but at 5, when it becomes useful, and it does not set at 20h, but and 21h, when it is still useful.
The sun never rises at 4 where I live. Here on the longest day of the year, without DST the sun would rise at 4:45 am and set at 7 pm, which would be fine. It's not like we need more sunshine here on the southern coast of California -- it was 80F degrees out today.

quote:
Then, come October, you enter a state of mourning as winter approaches, but are duly consoled by a hot chocolate and an extra hour of sleep - in my case were it not for the molopatas jr. who are yet to learn the deeper meaning of it all and simply haul you out of bed an hour earlier.
In October here we suffer the way we suffer in March because we don't set our clocks to the real time until the first weekend of November. So don't fucking talk to me in October until I've had those two cups of coffee.

quote:
Thus I am shocked at the irreverence and profanity uttered on this thread and the unbridled inability of some posters to grasp the life-affirming significance of this simple seasonal joy which gives so much structure and meaning to the existence of some of us in the latitudes of 30° - 55°.
Here at 33.77, I fucking hate goddamned goat-fellating DST.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
We could get into an interesting debate as to the practicality of actually shifting everyone's work hours, school hours, after-hours events etc etc by one hour at various times of year, and how there'd end up being a lack of consensus and a whole bunch of complaints in both directions (why didn't you shift X when Y was shifted, why did you shift Y when X wasn't shifted, and so on and so forth), and then we could discuss whether maybe imposing a universal rule for the whole of society is actually more efficient than a whole bunch of independent decisions to put the extra hours of daylight later in the day when they're more useful to more people (contrary to Boogie's claim that it makes absolutely no difference WHEN the hours of sunlight are available, apparently believing that light is equally useful at any time on the clock), and then we could reflect on how modern lives are controlled more by the figures on the timepiece than by the natural solar cycle and consider whether it's legitimate to adjust the solar cycle to fit in with the more dominant system.

That would be an interesting debate, yes. My biased opinion - currently especially biased by the demands of child-rearing - is that official, institutional shit should stay put relative to mean solar time, and that we should try to adapt the somewhat more flexible parts of our lives to make the best use of the surrounding time.

I'm actually quite bad at doing that myself, but the clock change just makes it even more difficult twice a year.

t

--------------------
Little devil

crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
crunt: I live on a pretty much equatorial latitude these days (about 3 deg N, I think)
Ha! I live 1.5° South. But I think MrsBeaky wins on this one.
Had to check on Google as I can never carry numbers in my head and our town is 0.5167° N so pretty much the same all year round.

I went and checked (similar problem RE: numbers / head). We're 3.9333 degrees north, so we're basically a four!

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Here at 33.77, I fucking hate goddamned goat-fellating DST.

Here at 47.21, I salute your well and humorously argued post.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without DST, the sun will wake me up too early.

That would annoy me even more than the whiners moaning about DST.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DST has been linked to a rise in heart attacks and accidents.
So, yeah...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And with all the new electronic gadgetry in the modern home it isn't just the microwave: I get to figure out how to change the setting in our new rice cooker.

But at least we've gotten rid of the VCR so I don't have to reprogram it to flash 1:00 1:00 1:00 ...

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
( puts on Golden Key costume and begins plucking a zither.)

... And the seasons, they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on a carousel of ti-iime...

No, honey, you've got to get the walk right. And you *do* realize that's an unlicensed costume?

And that song always makes me dizzy.

{Sighs. Surrounds Kelly with lava lamps; gently purloins the axe, calls lawyer, and slips away for a tall mug of dark Guittard cocoa.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Pick a time, any time, and stick to it!
quote:
the frequency of heart attacks, traffic accidents and workplace injuries--which are usually very expensive to treat--goes up dramatically when we change the clocks,
article

According to the rather more balanced National Geographic article daylight saving reduces heart attacks at the autumn change by the same 10%. The accident rises are apparently insignificant statistically.

In countries with air conditioning daylight saving does not save energy as the reduction in lighting costs is more than offset by the additional air conditioning costs. And additional costs arise when people get involved in more activities in the longer evenings in countries with a more car based economy as they also increase petrol consumption as people drive to their activities.

But daylight saving does increase the activity of children and works towards reducing obesity in children, particularly in Australia and the UK, not so much in the US, Brazil or Madeira.

From the National Geographic article it seems that the US problems are compounded by the early implementation - which has been moved earlier and earlier over several years. The UK clocks go back on the last Sunday in March and forward on the last Sunday in October.

I think the clincher for me was that the main opposition in the States is from the TV stations who lose viewers when the clocks change. If they don't like it, maybe it's not such a bad thing?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and I absolutely do not want to shift to Double Summer Time all year round.

Luckily so far it hasn't happened.

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Ruth

Gee - you really do hate DST! [Smile]

On may part I love it so much, I would keep it all year, but because I like more light in the evenings rather than fiddling with clocks. Keeping it all year would get rid of the time switching.

Meanwhile, it IS communal. You should delight in exchanging gripes about microwave oven clocks with your neighbours (I personally hate the one in the car which I normally don't even bother with). It can give you the satisfaction of temporarily creating a common horizon of understanding with the kind of folks you would otherwise cross the street to avoid.

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
Want thing to happen earlier, relative to local mean solar noon? Here's the secret: do them earlier.

Unfortunately, we don't all operate out of a shack in the woods. If I suddenly decide I want to go shopping an hour earlier, or catch one train earlier or later than the going schedule permits - or show up for work an hour later, I'm going to have a long wait or a serious shake-down.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daylight saving will end here at the end of the month, and I shan't be all that sorry. By now, it's dark at 6.15 when I walk up to the station in the morning, and getting dark as I come home around 7.30. A real problem is that in the morning, the temps often around the mid-teens, but in the evening is around mid-twenties to come home. When daylight saving ends, the temps will be much closer.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when the UK experimented with Dst all year round in the early seventies. We ended up going to school before it was properly light and armbands were issued to children to make them more visible going to school. This wasn't in the north, it was in Norfolk.

I for one was glad when they started returning to GMT in the winter. My preference would be for GMT all year round

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merton assists the change in time in the Autumn. Perhaps someone should petition them to do likewise in the Spring.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
According to the rather more balanced National Geographic article daylight saving reduces heart attacks at the autumn change by the same 10%.

Ah well that's okay then. I'm sure the people who get the heart attacks in the Spring are happy to take the fall for people who would have gotten them in the Fall but don't.

quote:
I think the clincher for me was that the main opposition in the States is from the TV stations who lose viewers when the clocks change. If they don't like it, maybe it's not such a bad thing?
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
On my part I love it so much, I would keep it all year

Then it's not DST, it's changing to a different time zone. Which is something completely different. What I and most people who hate it hate about DST is the semiannual shift.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
I remember when the UK experimented with Dst all year round in the early seventies. We ended up going to school before it was properly light and armbands were issued to children to make them more visible going to school. This wasn't in the north, it was in Norfolk.

I for one was glad when they started returning to GMT in the winter. My preference would be for GMT all year round

I remember that. The effect was to catch the bus to school in the dark rather than get home from school in the dark. IIRC the schools preferred us to get home in the dark as we be more likely to stay inside and get straight down to homew*rk. My Mum reckoned we used more coal and electricity with dark evenings.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want DST year round, move to Saskatchewan. It's in the Mountain timezone, but never switches out of Central Standard Time (CST), except for Lloydminster on the Alberta border.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. My kids had about 3 months of going to school in the dark and coming back in the dark, and that's every year, without failed experiments to wring extra daylight out of the celestial spheres.

Which is why the annual loony-tune attempt by some southern (almost always Tory) MP to change the time zones again is greeted with howls of derisive laughter up here.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're well to the north of the Tors. The main disadvantage of more dark mornings is that the roads / pavements are at their iciest, which isn't ideal for the school run / school walk / school bus. Whereas coming home in dark tends to happen after any ice has thawed and before it refreezes overnight.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
My Mum reckoned we used more coal and electricity with dark evenings.

In southern California during DST everyone gets home from work an hour earlier and promptly revs up the AC, which uses a lot more power than lighting or even heating our homes.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you've got AC--I grew up there without it...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
My Mum reckoned we used more coal and electricity with dark evenings.

In southern California during DST everyone gets home from work an hour earlier and promptly revs up the AC, which uses a lot more power than lighting or even heating our homes.
Whether people get home an hour earlier is surely something the depends on whether you think time is some social construct indicated by what the clock says (in which case, people get home at the same time regardless of whether or not it's DST), or something linked to the diurnal cycle and so when someone gets home will be a variable dependent upon their geographical location and the time of year (noon will be fixed, but "half way through the afternoon" or "an hour before I can get away without the AC" will be variable).

What is time?

[I got to watch Theory of Everything on the plane over, well worth it BTW).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Whether people get home an hour earlier is surely something the depends on whether you think time is some social construct indicated by what the clock says

Generally speaking, the time that people get home depends on what their employer thinks the clock says.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Whether people get home an hour earlier is surely something the depends on whether you think time is some social construct indicated by what the clock says

Generally speaking, the time that people get home depends on what their employer thinks the clock says.
Ayup. I have no idea what Alan was trying to do there. It was clear enough what Ruth said and meant.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I't quite simple. If the time people get home is determined by what their employers clock says, then they will get home at the same time everyday (with a little variation due to traffic conditions, whether they stop to get groceries on the way). Whether or not that time is DST. If you want to say people get home an hour earlier during DST then you need a boss that would normally look at the clock and say "that's it, 5pm, off you go" but during DST sends you home at 4pm.

If, on the other hand, you are saying "get home an hour earlier" to mean "get an extra hour of the hot afternoon using my own AC rather than the office AC" then you are using a measure of time that is different to the clock on the office wall.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

...aaaaaand you're just proving my point earlier, which is that the reason we have daylight savings time is to adjust the sun to the clock, because no-one adjusts the clock.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
So you want to live somewhere there's 13-14 hours daylight and 10-11 hours of night per 24 hours?

That isn't even wrong.

It's what I want. Got a problem with that?
Since there's nowhere on the planet (or pretty much, the solar system) that gives you more net daylight than night across a year, I'm just going to side with orbital mechanics.
[displacement activity as my jet lagged brain refuses to concentrate on work]

Here's what you need to do to have a constant 14h daylight+10h night. You need to be in motion. Maybe one of those floating apartment blocks called cruiseliners will do.

You celebrate New Year at about 30deg south (somewhere like Perth, Australia), then spend the next three month moving south until you approach the south pole for the March equinox. Now comes the tricky bit. You hightail it north, because the next stage of your year has to start at the north pole, if you're wanting those hours of daylight you don't want to stay with the penguins for the next six months.

So, if you've got to the other end of the globe you now keep working your way south for the next three months, for the June equinox somewhere 30deg north (you'll get to see the entire California coastline) before returning north towards the Arctic. Then just that tricky leap between the poles in September and work your way back north as the southern days lengthen.

Not very convenient for the daily commute to work. And, that move from one pole to the other twice a year is a right doozie. But, nothing in orbital mechanics to prevent it.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... go to sleep, Alan.

(and yes, perfectly feasible apart from the teleport bit)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not going anywhere near the Arctic, thank you, it's quite cold enough on an average day in Britain.

The answer might be to get a cruise ship going slowly round the Mediterranean for a few months, thereby ensuring a more even split between daylight and night, and moving down to the equator during the winter months, taking in the Canaries and Azores, or going down through the Suez Canal into the Red Sea. Provided it could avoid all the pirates, known trouble spots, noroviruses, and all the rest of it, it could be a quite attractive solution to the problem of too much daylight at the wrong time of day.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate, loathe, detest and despise the outdated practice of changing clock time. For some reason, it affects me far worse than any jet lag I've ever had. In spring and autumn I'm a saggy-eyed blundering wreck for at least a week after it happens.

We should pick whatever time is calculated to annoy the French most and stick to it. I suggest GMT + 40 minutes.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Not going anywhere near the Arctic, thank you, it's quite cold enough on an average day in Britain.

The answer might be to get a cruise ship going slowly round the Mediterranean for a few months, thereby ensuring a more even split between daylight and night, and moving down to the equator during the winter months, taking in the Canaries and Azores, or going down through the Suez Canal into the Red Sea. Provided it could avoid all the pirates, known trouble spots, noroviruses, and all the rest of it, it could be a quite attractive solution to the problem of too much daylight at the wrong time of day.

See this is why we're in dire need of the Magratheans' specialist services. Might be a millenia or two til they think it's worth it mind.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
In spring and autumn I'm a saggy-eyed blundering wreck for at least a week after it happens.

And then you come to the Ship and inflict your dysfunction on all of us. Nice.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We hates it, we hates it forever. For me one of the hardest things about living in Paris is how dark the mornings are in the winter. It doesn’t get anywhere near light until 9 a.m. in December. Then it’s just started getting light at a sensible time in the morning when we push it back for another hour. I say it’s a giant conspiracy to make it harder for me to get out of bed. I am *very* light-sensitive. In summer I have no trouble getting up at 6:30 (which now I think about it is really 5:30 because of aforementioned buggering about with the clocks) to run ten miles. In winter nothing much is going to get me out of my pit short of the bed being on fire.

As for double summer-time: over my dead body. It’s bad enough when it gets light at 9 in the morning. If it goes to 10, I think I may actually never get out of bed again.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
In spring and autumn I'm a saggy-eyed blundering wreck for at least a week after it happens.

And then you come to the Ship and inflict your dysfunction on all of us. Nice.
No, this is just regular curmudgeonliness. Clocks don't change here till the last weekend in March. Although my current opinion that you're a fucking waste of space is probably down to my not having enough caffeine in my bloodstream yet. Get back to me after 11a.m. GMT, of course.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Oh good. Maybe after 11am you'll stop hyperventilating in Purgatory and denying parents the right to make decisions. Which is what you're doing even though you don't realise it.

Either that, or being sexist by complaining that something is against the mother's (current) wishes while ignoring the father's wishes and the mother's past wishes.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Oh good. Maybe after 11am you'll stop hyperventilating in Purgatory and denying parents the right to make decisions. Which is what you're doing even though you don't realise it.

Either that, or being sexist by complaining that something is against the mother's (current) wishes while ignoring the father's wishes and the mother's past wishes.

If you don't like what I'm saying in Purgatory, call me to Hell. Don't derail someone else's thread to score a cheap, ill-informed and incoherent point.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

[Paranoid]

Interesting tactic, this. Instructing a Hellhost*, in Hell, to call you to Hell. It's sufficiently novel that I may have to sleep on it.

*Although not, I should add, engaged in hostly activities.

[ 09. March 2015, 11:11: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
I love DST -- in the fall, when it gives me an extra hour's sleep by ending.

I'll go along with that. [Biased]

I probably grew up about as far north (59°N) as anyone who's been posting here (apart from Comet), and I never had a problem with it. For part of the winter we were going to and from school or work in the dark anyway, but that was just the way life was in winter. It was more than compensated for by the almost 24-hour daylight for a few weeks in the summer.

Now that I'm living a good deal further south (47°N) I suppose it doesn't matter so much (many Newfoundlanders would contend that we don't really need it), but I always appreciate the extra hour when the clocks go back.

As for it happening as early as it does here (yesterday), that suits me fine as there's no possibility of it clashing with Easter Sunday, when we have a service at 6 in the morning, and losing an hour's sleep on top of that would be just too much. [Snore]

Just my 2p - I appreciate that lots of people think summer time is a silly idea.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Paranoid]

Interesting tactic, this. Instructing a Hellhost*, in Hell, to call you to Hell. It's sufficiently novel that I may have to sleep on it.

Hardly novel. I can remember at least three told me to call them, but I found it the idea deeply boring.

Then again, it could have been personal.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:

Damn right you should add that. Because you know as well as I do that if you're not "engaged in hostly activities" you're just another Shipmate.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hate, loathe, detest and despise the outdated practice of changing clock time. For some reason, it affects me far worse than any jet lag I've ever had. In spring and autumn I'm a saggy-eyed blundering wreck for at least a week after it happens.

We should pick whatever time is calculated to annoy the French most and stick to it. I suggest GMT + 40 minutes.

Oh yes, I like that. They've still never really accepted the meridian being at Greenwich rather than Paris.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think we should just bite the bullet and have local time.

I discovered recently that sunrise is actually two whole minutes earlier in the place where I work than it is at home. Over the course of a year that amounts to quite a bit, though I suppose it's counterbalanced by the return journey home regaining those two extra minutes in the evening.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Same here - I find it akin to jet-lag, but worse.

[Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016