homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I Hate Daylight Savings Time (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Hate Daylight Savings Time
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, what is food for thought is that if you're an inhabitant of Xinjiang, you run your clocks on Beijing time. That's about 3 1/2 hours off local time. It's like having DST three times over, not just for 7 months a year, but pretty much all your life. Try that on for size.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... go to bed an hour earlier, have the same amount of sleep as usual, wake up an hour earlier than usual ...

I think you and I must just be lucky, Marvin - that's more-or-less the way I see it. I'll admit to finding myself feeling a bit sleepy coming up to the winter change, and thinking, "I'm really looking forward to that extra hour in bed", but I tend to treat the spring change in the way you suggest.

At least that's the theory - I'm a terrible night-owl, and the intention of going to bed an hour earlier doesn't always get translated into an actual occurrence ... [Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... go to bed an hour earlier, have the same amount of sleep as usual, wake up an hour earlier than usual ...

I think you and I must just be lucky, Marvin - that's more-or-less the way I see it. I'll admit to finding myself feeling a bit sleepy coming up to the winter change, and thinking, "I'm really looking forward to that extra hour in bed", but I tend to treat the spring change in the way you suggest.

At least that's the theory - I'm a terrible night-owl, and the intention of going to bed an hour earlier doesn't always get translated into an actual occurrence ... [Help]

Piglet, you have the advantage of having lived in Orkney, where you have to go to sleep through a fair amount of daylight (and work through a good deal of darkness) as a matter of course.

My understanding is that the circadian rhythm is a shade more than 24 hours and this offset enables us to shift our body clock. Maybe not immediately, but it enables us to overcome jetlag which is far more disruptive.

I'm just lucky though: I'm a night owl so a longer day is OK and I sleep pretty much at any time of day.

[ 15. March 2015, 10:52: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
My understanding is that the circadian rhythm is a shade more than 24 hours and this offset enables us to shift our body clock. Maybe not immediately, but it enables us to overcome jetlag which is far more disruptive.

It depends on the person. "morning" people have shorter body clocks, which tell them to go to bed sooner, and "night" people have longer body clocks which don't tell them to go to bed.

Sunlight helps set our clock. I've seen advice that people with shorter clocks should maximise their exposure to sunlight in the late afternoon if they want to keep going longer, but people with longer clocks need to reduce their exposure to sunlight in the latter part of the day so that their body gets the message to wind down sooner.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My internal clock is tied to the sun. I wake at sunrise pretty naturally. Sunrise is now after 7 am, but I have be at work by 8. I won't be adjusted to the time change until sometime in April.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just glad to be out of the December/ January misery of "arrive at work as the sun is rising, leave after it has already set". By the time the clocks go forward, I don't really notice as the sun is up early enough before I leave the house anyway (October is always miserable though even with the extra holiday we get in Ireland around that time)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
(October is always miserable though even with the extra holiday we get in Ireland around that time)

My first full October in England is what revealed that I probably have seasonal disorder. DST ending then just made it worse.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Piglet, you have the advantage of having lived in Orkney, where you have to go to sleep through a fair amount of daylight (and work through a good deal of darkness) as a matter of course ...

Absolutely - and that may well be why the seasonal changes don't really bother me.

I remember as a child (when one was expected to go to bed at, say 8:30 at night) not really wanting to, as it was still light (and would be for some time), but I just had to get used to it.

I wonder if there's a nature/nurture dichotomy in the circadian rhythms of people who grew up in Northerly Latitudes - are we less likely to be adversely affected by the time changes, or to suffer from SAD?

Might make an interesting subject for a thesis ... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
It depends on the person. "morning" people have shorter body clocks, which tell them to go to bed sooner, and "night" people have longer body clocks which don't tell them to go to bed.

Sunlight helps set our clock. I've seen advice that people with shorter clocks should maximise their exposure to sunlight in the late afternoon if they want to keep going longer, but people with longer clocks need to reduce their exposure to sunlight in the latter part of the day so that their body gets the message to wind down sooner.

I'm more of a morning person than a night person. When I was pregnant with my son, I wouldn't feel the first kicks till 10am, and when I was trying to get to sleep at night, he'd be bouncing around partying away till 1am.

After he was born he had exactly the same sleeping / waking pattern. My midwife said he'd probably have that sleep pattern for life. He's now in his twenties and still the same.

The sun, or lack thereof, seems to have no impact on him.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder if there's a nature/nurture dichotomy in the circadian rhythms of people who grew up in Northerly Latitudes - are we less likely to be adversely affected by the time changes, or to suffer from SAD?

Might make an interesting subject for a thesis ... [Smile]

I think there is some research on this already. Several things help. One is staying active, particularly with outdoor activity. Too much sedentary and inactivity harms coping. Regardless of the weather, amount of light, temperature, get your sorry self outside and exert a little. A little exertion means you're in the present because you're straining, and if you're not in the present, exert harder.

A second is not to complain and not to fight the seasonal changes. The world is ours to live in, not our's to control. Despite what everyone seems to think.

Third, talk to a doctor or someone who knows about whether you should take vitamin D (and calcium while you're at it).

Fourth, see about getting lights if your trouble is significant with seasonal change. Again talk to some health care person about it.

Fifth, blow up your TV, throw away your cell phone, get out into the country, build you a life.

Personally I like all seasons. Except the season of melt-freeze-melt-snow-melt etc, which is fully underway.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, people who've lived in northern climes all their lives get SAD, too.

Researchers used to think it was just displaced southerners. They did try talking to Scandinavians, because of the winter short days and long nights. Initially, the researchers thought Scandinavians weren't affected.

Then they changed their technique and asked questions differently. They found that lots of Scandinavians have SAD; and just about everyone there has some relative who basically holes up for the winter. Culturally, though, they just didn't think of it as a problem.

I found that out when I was looking into my own possible SAD. I think it was in The Hibernation Response. I'm of Scandinavian heritage, among other N. Euro groups, and I have severe SAD, requiring medication.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in New Hampshire I had a mild case of SAD. Then someone advised me to spend a half-hour or forty-five minutes outdoors when the sun was at its highest. Even when it was overcast, the sun shining through the clouds was enough.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working tomorrow, and am resenting the fact that someone is going to run off cackling into the darkness with an hour of my sleep bundled into their swag-bag tonight.

I won't even remember about it in a week, but the thought of it tonight is making me grumpy, and slightly worried that my phone and/or my radio won't automatically change and that I'll end up being late. I hate being late.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this hilarious spoof on Facebook

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
I saw this hilarious spoof on Facebook

I was ready to hate you.

But actually, it's well done, so kudos.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
remembered to change the time on my alarm clock last night. Did not remember to set the alarm!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I'm working tomorrow, and am resenting the fact that someone is going to run off cackling into the darkness with an hour of my sleep bundled into their swag-bag tonight.

Thanks for the hour luvanddaises, though I won't be using it until next Saturday night when I will have a whole hour's more sleep so I can wake up refreshed for Easter Day [Yipee]

I am already feeding my cat a bit later to gradually get her used to it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No changing of clocks in India - and I haven't had to worry about the clock change three weeks before the end of winter for over a decade. By the time I return home I am so jetlagged that I hardly notice the clocks. That being said, it is easier travelling west, and I quite enjoy the stopover in the UK.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

Thanks for the hour luvanddaises, though I won't be using it until next Saturday night when I will have a whole hour's more sleep so I can wake up refreshed for Easter Day [Yipee]

I am already feeding my cat a bit later to gradually get her used to it.

Huia

Bloody hell, if you're willing to fly all the way from the antipodes just to stuff an hour of my sleep in a sack and fly back again, you've earned it.
Even so, [Mad]

[ 31. March 2015, 19:39: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... I will have a whole hour's more sleep so I can wake up refreshed for Easter Day ...

[grits teeth] I hope you enjoy it. [Two face]

We have a sung Eucharist with New Fire at 6 o'clock in the bloody morning on Easter Day, so I'll be up at silly o'clock to go and sing at it.

The one good thing about our daylight-saving time starting on the second Sunday in March is that there's no danger of it clashing with Easter (which it could when the clocks went forward later in the month).

[Snore]

[ 01. April 2015, 01:03: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The one good thing about our daylight-saving time starting on the second Sunday in March is that there's no danger of it clashing with Easter (which it could when the clocks went forward later in the month).

Yes, I remember one Easter when that happened.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Yes, I remember one Easter when that happened.

Moo

So do I because we started our Easter Vigiol at 5am so it felt like 4 am.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember it too. There was a planned sunrise service and no-one was sure when sunrise was.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daylight savings ends here Sunday night. Easter Sunday. As Huia says, an extra hour for us.

About time too. I quite like daylight savings in general, but it has been as black in morning lately as at midnight..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Travelling 36 hours, complete with delays and sitting next to rowdy children, has shown up the trivial whining on this thread for what it is.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't knock trivial whining. Where would Hell be without it?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016