homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Neigh, Horseman Bree (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Neigh, Horseman Bree
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horseman Bree, I throw down my gauntlet. I know you’re aware that neither my government nor my country is perfect. But guess what? Many of your US Shipmates notice imperfections too. Perhaps your government and country are perfect, though a certain ex-mayor of Toronto makes me wonder.

Here’s my challenge: you seem to board Ship with something to say at the rate of a couple of posts roughly every other day. Can you maintain that posting pattern for two full weeks – through 3/21 – without once trashing the US, its people, history, culture, politics, geography, cuisine, nicotine preferences, TV shows, educational system, fashion sense, business ethics, religious sensibilities, criminal justice activities, sexual antics, public libraries, lawn-mowing habits, hairstyles, shoe sizes, table manners, municipal architecture, highway signs, nuptial customs, pigeons, taste in buttons, maple-syrup-collecting methods, knot-tying skills, voting booth construction, scout training, fishing practices, monetary engraving, embroidery techniques, the manufacture of US nose-hair trimmers (together with anything else you despise about your southern neighbor along with, by implication, all your US Shipmates) during that brief period?

That’s it: just two weeks, with eagle-eyed Shipmates to monitor and devise an appropriate consequence should you (as seems inevitable) fail.

I don’t even ask that you give it up for Lent; Ash Wednesday’s come and gone.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge, as GK obliquely put it, you are one boss bitch. Rock on. lady. [Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless you, Kelly, for such a nuanced translation. [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh fuck yes.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn. It's now inevitable that the rest of this thread is basically going to be people high-fiving Porridge.

Pigeons. I think my favourite on the list is pigeons.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it may be Horseman's well-deserved "come-a-cropper"-lypse.

(Not sure if that crosses the pond - or even deserves to).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one ex-mayor of Toronto? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do have to give Bree some credit, though. His brand of anti-Americanism is the kind of stuff that Canadians usually say among themselves, sitting around the coffee shop congratulating themselves for being oh-so-superior to their southern neighbours.

It's lame at the best of times, but especially so when done, as it usually is, in the complete absence of Americans or anyone else likely to challenge them on it. They're not convincing anyone, because everyone already agrees that America is Very Bad and Canada is Very Special("People love the Maple Leaf around the world!!"), nor are they holding up their own presuppositions to any sort of external criticism.

But, Bree actually does play the schtick on a board with a significant American presence, thus at least allowing for the possibility that people will trash him back. Som props for that.

But yes, it's still a pretty dumb brand of nationalism(not that all nationalism isn't dumb). I had to really roll my eyes a few weeks back when Bree attributed the bad First Nations policies of the current government to the influence of American-style "Republican" values infesting Canada under Harper, when anyone with a cursory knowledge of the history knows that Canadian and British colonial governments have been shitting on aboriginals since time in memorial, with little or no help from the Americans.

[ 08. March 2015, 08:23: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
through 3/21

Can't even get basic formatting and prepositions right. The English version is "until 21/3", just FYI.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do confess, the couple of times I crossed northwards during my North American trip in 2013, I basically went "Oh yay, normal people!". But then it turned out that folks were pretty sane in New England and Seattle as well, so it's not like it's fair to generalise about the whole country.

[Razz]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:
through 3/21

Can't even get basic formatting and prepositions right. The English version is "until 21/3", just FYI.

[Roll Eyes]

Don't get out much, do you?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure about all the specifics with HB. But I will note that Canadians all both hate and envy and watch with astonishment both the USA and Toronto. Frightened, amused and puzzled by it all. We are often guilty of measuring ourselves against both, at the same time pretending we don't.

As for Orfeo's comment, I haven't found that the inhabitants consider it reasonable to conflate Australians with New Zealanders, and the Welsh, Scottish, English altogether. Culture does seem an underestimated force.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I do confess, the couple of times I crossed northwards during my North American trip in 2013, I basically went "Oh yay, normal people!". But then it turned out that folks were pretty sane in New England and Seattle as well, so it's not like it's fair to generalise about the whole country.

[Razz]

Having met a good number of your countrymen, I'm not sure I wish to aspire to your standards of 'normal'.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:
through 3/21

[Roll Eyes]

The US and much of Canada (in particular, newspapers and "long date" displays by MS programs) use MMDD formatting.
That's why WE get Pi day. [Smile]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention the fact that, where I live, "through" means including the date mentioned, whereas "until" ends at midnight on the date previous. Assuming The Horseman might not check his PMs until the 8th of March (see what I did there?), 03/08/15 through 03/21/15 yields 2 full weeks. 03/08/15 until 03/21/15 lets him off in only 13 days.

Meanwhile, as he's not yet put in an appearance, I'm glad of having included a "maintaining normal posting pattern" clause -- although Eutychus in Purg on the Ferguson thread might be about to (if he hasn't already) put a prompt halt to the whole experiment, as is his Hostly prerogative.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only; that's an Admin prerogative and above my pay grade.

Then again, the way this thread is going, the admins may decide that it's punishment enough, eh?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thunderbunk's post is intended as a joke, it's a spoof piece of facile anti Americanism.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I had to really roll my eyes a few weeks back when Bree attributed the bad First Nations policies of the current government to the influence of American-style "Republican" values infesting Canada under Harper, when anyone with a cursory knowledge of the history knows that Canadian and British colonial governments have been shitting on aboriginals since time in memorial, with little or no help from the Americans.

Actually, I (a US citizen) have worried in the past about a scary global right-wing shift I've perceived over the last decade or so, and wondered quite seriously if it was GW Bush's fault somehow. (Or Cheney's, etc.)

It would be so convenient to have one super-villain or Illuminati-like group to blame. [Frown]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The US and much of Canada (in particular, newspapers and "long date" displays by MS programs) use MMDD formatting.

Nope. It is incorrect in Canada to use MMDD. Officially it's YYYY-MM-DD, but with the creeping Americanisation of MMDD, it creates terrible confusion, because we don't know if 04/03 (4/3) is April 03 or March 04. So I don't allow it in my office. Most sensible people do not use it. To completely end ambiguity, 04 Mar 2015 is what I use in writing, and numerically 2015.03.04 is what the computer does. I prefer dots to slashes, and with Linux anything is possible.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Thunderbunk's post is intended as a joke, it's a spoof piece of facile anti Americanism.

What leads you to the conclusion that it's a spoof of facile anti-Americanism, rather than just an example of facile anti-Americanism?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:

Nope. It is incorrect in Canada to use MMDD. Officially it's YYYY-MM-DD, but with the creeping Americanisation of MMDD, it creates terrible confusion, because we don't know if 04/03 (4/3) is April 03 or March 04. So I don't allow it in my office. Most sensible people do not use it. To completely end ambiguity, 04 Mar 2015 is what I use in writing, and numerically 2015.03.04 is what the computer does. I prefer dots to slashes, and with Linux anything is possible.
The Hell hosts might not enjoy this tangent (sorry guys [Hot and Hormonal] ) but here goes: how does the YYYY-MM-DD English speaking world say "04 Mar 2015"? "Four March 2015" or "Fourth of March 2015" or in some other way? Thanks.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chast wrote:

quote:
Actually, I (a US citizen) have worried in the past about a scary global right-wing shift I've perceived over the last decade or so, and wondered quite seriously if it was GW Bush's fault somehow. (Or Cheney's, etc.)

It would be so convenient to have one super-villain or Illuminati-like group to blame.

You might be able to pin the internationalization of neo-liberal economics on the American right, but even there, Margaret Thatcher was at least as much of a precusor as Ronald Reagan.

And the treatment of First Nations(ie. natives, aboriginals etc) in Canada, at least since 1867: no way no how is that the fault of anyone but Canadians.

[ 08. March 2015, 19:08: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Here’s my challenge: you seem to board Ship with something to say at the rate of a couple of posts roughly every other day. Can you maintain that posting pattern for two full weeks – through 3/21 – without once trashing the US, its people, history, culture, politics, geography, cuisine, nicotine preferences, TV shows, educational system, fashion sense, business ethics, religious sensibilities, criminal justice activities, sexual antics, public libraries, lawn-mowing habits, hairstyles, shoe sizes, table manners, municipal architecture, highway signs, nuptial customs, pigeons, taste in buttons, maple-syrup-collecting methods, knot-tying skills, voting booth construction, scout training, fishing practices, monetary engraving, embroidery techniques, the manufacture of US nose-hair trimmers (together with anything else you despise about your southern neighbor along with, by implication, all your US Shipmates) during that brief period?

What about how fat we are? It will ruin my whole stereotype of people who stereotype Americans if he doesn't say anything about how fat we are?
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good, somebody called that self-absorbed windbag to Hell.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The Hell hosts might not enjoy this tangent (sorry guys [Hot and Hormonal] ) but here goes: how does the YYYY-MM-DD English speaking world say "04 Mar 2015"? "Four March 2015" or "Fourth of March 2015" or in some other way? Thanks.

I say "oh-four march twenty fifteen", though it's also common to say 2015 as two fifteen here. If it's just casual conversation, we'd say "on the 4th" or "March 4th". Sort of like saying $4 as four dollars and not needing it written 4$, though that might be said as "two loonies". I've heard Newfoundlanders say "four of March month".

[/end tangent!]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Razz]

You just were using the wrong map
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
What about how fat we are? It will ruin my whole stereotype of people who stereotype Americans if he doesn't say anything about how fat we are?

Dang, Twilight, you got me.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

[Razz]

Assuming that Canada is meant to symbolize liberalism on that map, then, at least according to this real-life map, there is at least one state, Michigan, that should be classified as Jesusland.

Also, one American state, Massachusetts, beat sevan provinces, two territories, and the Canadian federal government in recognizing same-sex marriage.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

What leads you to the conclusion that it's a spoof of facile anti-Americanism, rather than just an example of facile anti-Americanism?
You just don't understand British humour, DAVE.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want details by state this Wikipedia map has the state breakdowns;
Jesusland
Massachusetts is not part of JesusLand by anyone's definition.

Same Sex marriage legality is only a rough guide since a number of religious states have had it imposed by federal or state judges.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...anyone with a cursory knowledge of the history knows that Canadian and British colonial governments have been shitting on aboriginals since time in memorial, with little or no help from the Americans.

Yes, but we British are supposed to be jackbooted imperialist bastards. Unlike you lot*, we didn't mistreat indigenous people while all the time wailing about how fond of liberty we were. Funny, too, how many Indians (as they were then called) and black people crossed the border north in the C19 to get better treatment than was available in the Land of the Free, eh?

*Who IIRC declared UDI specifically, in part, so that you could be free from pesky interference with your God-given right to duff up the people who were in the way of your expansion (cough) Proclamation Line (cough).

[ 08. March 2015, 20:40: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Dave W

I guess I was wrong to say it as though I could be certain, I should have said 'Surely it's meant as a joke'. The reason was just that I think the vast majority of British people know how Americans write the date and I've never heard anyone comment adversely on it. There are quite a few topics on which I've heard British people be bitchy about Americans, but that's not one of them.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by Dave W

I guess I was wrong to say it as though I could be certain, I should have said 'Surely it's meant as a joke'. The reason was just that I think the vast majority of British people know how Americans write the date and I've never heard anyone comment adversely on it. There are quite a few topics on which I've heard British people be bitchy about Americans, but that's not one of them.
moonlitdoor is quite right. The comment was made in a general spirit of sarcasm. But also because we couldn't have total agreement on a Hell thread; the world was in imminent danger of imploding.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

My mistake. I meant to say Massachusetts is part of the United States of Canada, not Jesus Land by anyone's definition. States don't come much bluer.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is incorrect in Canada to use MMDD. Officially it's YYYY-MM-DD,

I wasn't actually aware that anyone used the ISO8601 international standard for representation of dates and times.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

[Razz]

Assuming that Canada is meant to symbolize liberalism on that map, then, at least according to this real-life map, there is at least one state, Michigan, that should be classified as Jesusland.

Also, one American state, Massachusetts, beat sevan provinces, two territories, and the Canadian federal government in recognizing same-sex marriage.

Idiot. The court cases were all based on the same Federal Law, they just didn't reach the Supreme Court before Parliament made the issue moot. Read your own f***ing constitution.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Fuck. Am I going to have to read shit about parliamentarianism vs. federalism? Please tell me I don't have to be subjected to the minutiae of the Canadian legal system from armchair lawyers. Please. Oh Please. We just ran off Byron a week or two ago. I need a break.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

Massachussetts Same Sex Marriage ruling was made in Massachusetts Supreme court as an interpretation of the Massachusetts Constitution, not the Federal Constitution.

I do agree many of the other state rulings were driven by Federal rulings and not the sentiments of the citizens in various states such as Utah. That's why most of the rulings are on appeal to the Supreme Court.

orfeo

# 13878

I'm aware of "Jesusland".

I'm also very aware of the legal history of same-sex marriage and really don't want to read it here just now. Who the blazes thought that same-sex marriage opposition was the sole criterion for Jesusland, anyway.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:I wasn't actually aware that anyone used the ISO8601 international standard for representation of dates and times.
[raises hand]
Actually, I even force the Ship to cough out YYYY-MM-DD.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:I wasn't actually aware that anyone used the ISO8601 international standard for representation of dates and times.
[raises hand]
Actually, I even force the Ship to cough out YYYY-MM-DD.

I use this as a prefix to computer files that are time-sensitive, or of which I make multiple successive copies. Although I usually leave out the second comma, I include it in photographs.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any definition of Jesusland that leaves out Oklahoma but includes Michigan is fucked up. Not saying Michigan is Godforsaken, before churchgeek channels the power of the Holy Spirit of Detroit against me, just that it's not exactly the buckle of the Bible Belt.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
...anyone with a cursory knowledge of the history knows that Canadian and British colonial governments have been shitting on aboriginals since time in memorial, with little or no help from the Americans.

Yes, but we British are supposed to be jackbooted imperialist bastards. Unlike you lot*, we didn't mistreat indigenous people while all the time wailing about how fond of liberty we were. Funny, too, how many Indians (as they were then called) and black people crossed the border north in the C19 to get better treatment than was available in the Land of the Free, eh?

*Who IIRC declared UDI specifically, in part, so that you could be free from pesky interference with your God-given right to duff up the people who were in the way of your expansion (cough) Proclamation Line (cough).

My lot was talking about liberty and declaring UDI? I'm Canadian.

In any case, I never said that Canada was worse than the USA in terms of human-rights, just that the human-rights abuses that we do have are not the fault of Americans.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Albertus wrote:

quote:
Funny, too, how many Indians (as they were then called) and black people crossed the border north in the C19 to get better treatment than was available in the Land of the Free, eh?

Wasn't it in Liverpool a few years back where some do-gooders decided to re-name all the streets that had been originally named after slave-traders, and they ended up having to re-name most of the streets in town?

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
It is incorrect in Canada to use MMDD. Officially it's YYYY-MM-DD,

I wasn't actually aware that anyone used the ISO8601 international standard for representation of dates and times.
I do, almost everywhere. And have been imposing^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hencouraging its use across client sites, with some success.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Albertus wrote:

quote:
Funny, too, how many Indians (as they were then called) and black people crossed the border north in the C19 to get better treatment than was available in the Land of the Free, eh?

Wasn't it in Liverpool a few years back where some do-gooders decided to re-name all the streets that had been originally named after slave-traders, and they ended up having to re-name most of the streets in town?
Most Brits don't really view Liverpool as part of the UK. It's more an enclave of whining front bottoms with acute victimhood syndrome, deeply entrenched inverted snobbery, a perverse sense of entitlement, and an over-inflated understanding of just how funny they are(n't).

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

And the Beatles. Don't forget the Beatles.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
And the Beatles. Don't forget the Beatles.

As I recall, the noble campaign to rechristen all the streets in Liverpool met its match when someone pointed out that Captain Penny was a slave trader. So after a lot of anguished soul-searching they made an exception. 'Cuz like, tourism and all.

[ 09. March 2015, 10:01: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh sure, you can't disentangle the history of most of our western ports from the slave trade. Of course once we did abolish the trade we put a lot of work into repressing it. Bit slow in abolishing slavery in the empire (though we abolished it, or rather ruled that it could not exist, in England in the 1770s) but still, remarkable that the 'sweet land of liberty' below the 49th parallel only got round finally to abolishing it after the despotic and generally boo-hiss Russian Empire had abolished its local equivalent.

[ 09. March 2015, 10:15: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016