homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is there anything else happening? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is there anything else happening?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Ship's poll, currently located in the Circus would suggest we're a more lefty lot than that.

I knew there was some reason I like most of the people here [Biased]

The survey passer linked to showed that the CofE is further to the right than other denominations. To be surprised that the Ship is further to the left than that would only make sense to someone suffering the delusion that this is an Anglican website.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ITTWAAWS.

The Conservative party on it's knees where as many here would like to bring the Conservative party to its knees.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonder why Anglicans would be necessarily more to the political right than other denominations (or, indeed than non-church people) - especially given the wide range of C of E congregations, from lower than a snake's belly to hovering so high on the candle they've never even seen the wax.

[ 15. April 2015, 18:17: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the evils of Constantinianism.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, the survey makes no mention of how active these people are in the church. I am the most left-wing of three sisters and the only regular churchgoer, but both my sisters would describe themselves as Anglicans too.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this for a start. The bloody awful Richard 'Dirty' Desmond has donated a million pounds to UKIP.

In addition to the Daily and Sunday Express his firm publishes the Star titles, which are in direct competition with the Sun, OK! and Now! Looking at what he used to publish, that represents a move upmarket.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
There's this for a start. The bloody awful Richard 'Dirty' Desmond has donated a million pounds to UKIP.

Apparently, this was a bit of a surprise turn. But for me still not as surprising as the way the Daily Express describes itself as the 'world's best newspaper' on its masthead without a trace of irony.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
[qb] There's this for a start. The bloody awful [URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32340976]But for me still not as surprising as the way the Daily Express describes itself as the 'world's best newspaper' on its masthead without a trace of irony.

I agree, except it's "The world's greatest newspaper."

IIRC it was actually awarded the title in either 1999 or 2000 as greatest newspaper of the millennium or something in the press awards, or a poll of journalists, or something.

More specifically it was referring to the Daily Express of the 1950s and 60s, and people sometimes forget how genuinely, globally, groundbreaking that paper then was. For a good decade it ploughed a cutting edge furrow as neither a broadsheet nor a tabloid (although it was broadsheet format) but a completely socially, intellectually, and coverage-wise alternative to both. Basically it was a right of centre mirror of the then Manchester Guardian.

Of course, it's since been hollowed out and engaged in a fight to the death with the Daily Heil, but it's worth pausing a moment to feel genuine sadness at the destruction of a once-great newspaper IMHO. That banner of "world's greatest newspaper" should be seen as more of an epitaph and censure - personally I'm glad it's there, because it reminds me every time I pass a newsstand of what successive owners have done to it.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Also, the survey makes no mention of how active these people are in the church. I am the most left-wing of three sisters and the only regular churchgoer, but both my sisters would describe themselves as Anglicans too.

And levels of activity do make a difference: this is very illuminating.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
I agree, except it's "The world's greatest newspaper."

Silly, silly. The World's Greatest Newspaper is the Chicago Tribune, as any fule kno.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Surely it's the Daily Planet.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Ship's poll, currently located in the Circus would suggest we're a more lefty lot than that.

I knew there was some reason I like most of the people here [Biased]

The survey passer linked to showed that the CofE is further to the right than other denominations. To be surprised that the Ship is further to the left than that would only make sense to someone suffering the delusion that this is an Anglican website.
That said, maybe the Anglicans are boarding us [Two face] - on the aforementioned Circus-very-scientific-Ship-opinion-poll, the Tories have been noticably catching up on the more to the left parties over the last couple of days (for the sake of brevity/laziness/tradition/whatever I'm including Labour as one of these, even though any fule kno that's not the case - they are a bit more Left than the Tories).

(Pointless but amusing aside; Sky's Election coverage trailer - some of the party leaders singing "And I Swear". It's been really well done.)

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
(Pointless but amusing aside; Sky's Election coverage trailer - some of the party leaders singing "And I Swear". It's been really well done.)

Why is it only the blokes? Don't the lassies get a say?

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I think the original was by "Boys II Men", which I assumed was part of the joke.

- or maybe they're going with the media script that adds UKIP into the category "mainstream party", but leaves out Plaid, SNP, and the Greens, who have more members than UKIP and more than LibDem.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016