homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TechGeek Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TechGeek Thread
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
It does some really strange things opening PowerPoint files and Word documents (especially .docx ones).

Yes, we have a laptop we use for presentations in our church. It's fine for ordinary use, but:

- it doesn't like quite a lot of the fonts we use, so substitutes others which might be a different size;
- it doesn't like fancy slides and animations;
- if showing a continuous loop, you get an extra "blank" slide each time round.

I tend to bring in my own laptop most times ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The irony about the car joke is that cars are increasingly computerised and it's due to go to a whole new level with Apple and Google (and others) vying to be the standard "car OS" - and that's before we get to self-driving cars.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps you shouldn't have told me that - I picked up my new car TODAY!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While it is possible to locate the fault with documents with Word as with Open/libre Office, though I might lean towards blaming Word and Microsoft because when thorough inter-operability was being discussed, Microsoft asserted its standard:
quote:
The ISO standardization of [Microsoft] Office Open XML was controversial and embittered, with much discussion both about the specification and about the standardization process.
Further info Is DOCX really an open standard?
quote:
ISO ... adopted the ODF (Open Document Format) back in 2006 to solve the document standardization crisis. This is the format that is used by Libre and Open office, along with most other open office suites. Such a format becoming successful would of course threaten Microsoft's already established monopoly ...[so].. they decided to create their own open standard with [docx]... when you save a document in MS Office 2010 or prior in any of the ‘X’ formats, you are not saving them in the advertised OpenXML format. This document will hence NOT be properly readable by other software such as Libre and Open Office and they will make changes to the document when they are opened and saved within them. The problem hence lies with the former [i.e. Microsoft docx], not the latter.
All of this said, I get that people married to MS Word will complain about documents not in its format. But I'm not willing to pay to fix a 'not my problem'. Saving documents in .doc or proper .odt (Open Document Format Text Document) which is used by every other word processor. Though I generally ship documents to others in .pdf instead.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also amusingly wrong-headed to think that cars are flawless when put into production, or that they haven't changed massively during their evolution. Door locks, requiring keys to start, seatbelts, bumpers, headlights, windshields, windshield wipers, ABS, airbags, crumple zones, side-impact reinforcements - all bloatware that makes cars heavier than before! Waaaah!

The main difference between software and classic physical products is the evolutionary cycle time.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes.

Model T Ford: 540kg.
Fiat Topolino: 550kg.
Morris Minor: 775kg.
VW Up! (a tiny car): 950kg.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
While it is possible to locate the fault with documents with Word as with Open/libre Office, though I might lean towards blaming Word and Microsoft because when thorough inter-operability was being discussed, Microsoft asserted its standard:
quote:
The ISO standardization of [Microsoft] Office Open XML was controversial and embittered, with much discussion both about the specification and about the standardization process.
Further info Is DOCX really an open standard?
quote:
ISO ... adopted the ODF (Open Document Format) back in 2006 to solve the document standardization crisis. This is the format that is used by Libre and Open office, along with most other open office suites. Such a format becoming successful would of course threaten Microsoft's already established monopoly ...[so].. they decided to create their own open standard with [docx]... when you save a document in MS Office 2010 or prior in any of the ‘X’ formats, you are not saving them in the advertised OpenXML format. This document will hence NOT be properly readable by other software such as Libre and Open Office and they will make changes to the document when they are opened and saved within them. The problem hence lies with the former [i.e. Microsoft docx], not the latter.
All of this said, I get that people married to MS Word will complain about documents not in its format. But I'm not willing to pay to fix a 'not my problem'. Saving documents in .doc or proper .odt (Open Document Format Text Document) which is used by every other word processor. Though I generally ship documents to others in .pdf instead.

That's odd. When my roofer sent stuff in docx, my old MS programs wouldn't open it, but StarOffice (also OpenOffice) would. They are the only people who send me stuff in that format.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The TechGeek thread is thataway.

*points randomly away from Hell*

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I beg to differ.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You Bastard.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Was, grandfather, was.

It's time for Grandpa to have another whinge. Well, the same whinge, really. This time, it's the new flat-look trend for UIs. On a phone, that probably makes sense. Your phone has a limited number of pixels, and a limited size.

On a full-size computer screen, it doesn't. 3-D cues add information. Removing them in aid of making everything a phone is unhelpful. (But yes, 3-D can be taken too far *cough* Motif *cough*).

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
This time, it's the new flat-look trend for UIs.

I am personally quite relieved that the irritating anachronism of skeuomorphic design is finally abating. There much more efficient ways to communicate functional transitions without wasting bandwidth by pretending to be a physical object. It is offensive to my aesthetic of form & function to bother with such mincing affectations. Especially when they're something awful, like pretending to be leather-bound.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It is offensive to my aesthetic of form & function to bother with such mincing affectations.

01010001 01110101 01101001 01110100 01100101

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Funny.
orfeo

# 13878

In my mind I'm idly speculating whether the rules about writing in English are equipped to deal with a situation where a Shipmate writes in a transformed version of English, and provides a link to enable the transformation to be reversed...

Kind of reminds me of the time a printer decided it would print out a document in Wingdings font.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to change the subject, but is everybody else who has Chrome finding it is wilting like a Southern Belle in summer lately? I have had to reinstall the damn thing three times within a month.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to know why in the hell every fucking program or website has decided to put their forms etc. into a combination of white on very light almond. Is contrast suddenly Evil™ or what? It makes me feel ancient when I can't even find the fucking box to type crap into, because I can't barely see it on the frigging screen. And if the designers are going to be such assholes about this, why is it always pale pale almond and not randomly pale pale green, or pink, or some other freaking color? You'd swear the almond conglomerate of the world is planning a takeover any minute...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you manage to say all that about almond, and not mention anything about it being nuts?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
01010001 01110101 01101001 01110100 01100101*

Sigh. You don't get a pass on this because it's 'post-ironic' or 'meta' or whatever you young folk say these days.

Posts that are not in English require a translation immediately below. No exceptions.

DT
HH

*Quite

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
How do you manage to say all that about almond, and not mention anything about it being nuts?

Shhh, don't stop her, she's cussing like a sailor! [Eek!]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You taught me everything I know, Kel. [Axe murder] [Snigger]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016