homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shut up and wait for it!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Shut up and wait for it!
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever so gently I reach out to a friend who has been damaged by the hellfire and damnation brigade at a vulnerable age. Very slowly the barriers are coming down, so that I can at least talk about my own faith at times without him changing the subject.

Then the friend sees a man push a leaflet into a woman's hands. When she tries to pull away and tells him she's not interested, he shouts 'Jesus loves you anyway!'

'Religious nut' thinks my friend. I'm back to square one.

There's a time and a place to tell people about our faith. I'm not convinced that it's ever to try to force people to listen.

All I'm saying is, if it isn't the right time and place, you're doing the opposite to what you intend to do, so for God's sake

SHUT UP!

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And one of the places which in my book is a big NO NO is my doorstep.

A friend once pointed out that in the Gospels, Jesus is never seen in a private house unless he has been invited first. Basic courtesy IMHO.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent alert

Raptor Eye, It's possible that by being a friend you are doing all that's necessary. Faith works best by demonstration. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the first words on the subject should probably come from your friend rather than from you.

End tangent

In the meantime, my temper goes from 0 to 90 in a nanosecond when anyone tries to preach to me personally, or enquire about my soul, my relationship with Jesus or whether I would like to avoid Hell. [Mad]

[ 21. May 2015, 12:03: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"If you're so interested in people avoiding Hell, why are you here putting people through Hell with your hectoring?"

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
A friend once pointed out that in the Gospels, Jesus is never seen in a private house unless he has been invited first. Basic courtesy IMHO.

Though he has been known to invite himself in the first place. Okay, Zacchaeus could have said "no".
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I invited the last lot of JWs who called, inside for a bible study. It was mutually respectful, once they realised I was asking them about being 'Arian' as opposed to 'Aryan'...

[Smile]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And one of the places which in my book is a big NO NO is my doorstep.

Speaking as a non-believer, the only real problem I have with door-to-door preaching is that I tend to sleep more during the day than at night, so it disrupts my sleep to have people ringing my bell in the mid-morning to early afternoon. Other than that, it doesn't really bother me.

Years ago, I had JWs waking me up on what seemed like a weekly basis, so I finally got a sign made up that said, in Korean, "I do not want to talk to Jehovah's Witnesses!" It pretty much solved the problem, except for a few recalcitrants. For example...

-A pair of JWs who didn't read the sign.

-Some Buddhists from the temple down the road who apparently thought that I was cool with being woken up by other religions.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I invited the last lot of JWs who called, inside for a bible study. It was mutually respectful, once they realised I was asking them about being 'Arian' as opposed to 'Aryan'...

[Smile]

Years ago in Canada, I invited some JWs in to chat, inspired by a friend who had previously been able to get some of them to admit that, were it not for the supposedly evil Constantine, the gospel would not likely have survived as public knowledge.

I had less luck, and within a few minutes, had lost an argument about whether the Bible teaches a literal Hell. Of course, being JWs, they were on the negative side of the debate. Kind of the anti-Fire And Brimstone preachers.

[ 21. May 2015, 15:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't get a generic sign in Korea that says "No solicitations please"? You can buy one at any home improvement store out here.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
You can't get a generic sign in Korea that says "No solicitations please"? You can buy one at any home improvement store out here.

For reasons that are vague to me now, at the time, I wanted to indicate JWs specifically. Maybe I had heard stories of them ignoring "No solicitation" signs, I dunno.

As I recall, I didn't have a lot of other non-authorized solicitations in those days.

[ 21. May 2015, 15:33: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Responses I've entertained to the intrusive evangelizers include, yes, I know Jesus, he's Cuban isn't he?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about this one-size-fits-all classic?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
How about this one-size-fits-all classic?

Then you'll have some group that doesn't recognize the cross as a Christian symbol(eg. the JWs) claiming that they thought the sign wasn't directed at them.

And that plea would be only a slight exaggeration from the real-world "But I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about Jesus!"

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a scene in "South Park" when a hellfire and brimstone missionary knocked on the door of a space alien and gave forth. The alien said, "That's nice--now please leave".
[Snigger]

Some people trade their own tracts with the person at the door. Of course, these could be about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Bible-based recipes (they exist!), or how to become a couch potato...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Some people trade their own tracts with the person at the door. Of course, these could be about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Bible-based recipes (they exist!), or how to become a couch potato...

I heard of an Episcopal priest who used to clean out his church's tract rack and take the old, out-of-date tracts with him when going to the airport. The Moonies or Hare Krishnas would approach him with their literature, and he'd give them a leaflet on, for example, How to Make an Advent Wreath.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winner of the All-time Biscuit for Social Fail was the chap (with hovering acolytes) who rang my doorbell. I was in the bath, and only went down because I thought bf - who'd nipped out - had forgotten his keys.

I think it was the level of self-absorption - how could someone dripping wet, standing barefoot in only a towel and dressing gown in the open air not want to listen to him talking theology?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JWs are not allowed to take other people's tracts. I tried with a couple who approached me outside the Friends' Meeting House. (Kingdom Hall is just across the road.) I also explained that their literature* was wrong about what Quakers believed and taught, and they assured me that their HQ would not make mistakes.

I became very angry with the locals when a couple came calling the morning after a neighbour had committed suicide, and I advised them very strongly not to go and knock where the young woman's parents were dealing with the situation. And they did.

* previously read - school caretaker had given me a stack of Watchtowers

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tangent alert

Raptor Eye, It's possible that by being a friend you are doing all that's necessary. Faith works best by demonstration. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the first words on the subject should probably come from your friend rather than from you.

End tangent

In the meantime, my temper goes from 0 to 90 in a nanosecond when anyone tries to preach to me personally, or enquire about my soul, my relationship with Jesus or whether I would like to avoid Hell. [Mad]

I would really like to be able to talk about my faith to my friends without them changing the subject as if I'm going to try to convert them. It's an important aspect of my life. I should be able to freely talk about it, without waiting for them to bring it up first. Within reason.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I heard of an Episcopal priest who used to clean out his church's tract rack and take the old, out-of-date tracts with him when going to the airport. The Moonies or Hare Krishnas would approach him with their literature, and he'd give them a leaflet on, for example, How to Make an Advent Wreath.
I often turn the tables on JWs and ask them if they'd like to join the Church of England.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Well, RE, maybe their needs trump yours, if hearing about your faith makes them so uncomfortable. Why try to force a conversation on them? Don't you have anyone in your life who is happy to hear about your faith?

My own take on religion is that it's something you do, rather than talk about. Maybe my own faith is on the vague side, which is one reason why I'm comfortable with not trying to define it. Maybe I rather go with St.Paul, who wrote that when doing a good deed, your right hand should not know what your left is up to.(Rare agreement with St.Paul, here.) I know too many people who seem to be all talk. It's no advertisement for faith.

Probably I could listen to a friend talk about their faith, provided I didn't feel bombarded by it, but I'm not up for a faith talk-fest.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

I know where you're coming from, and I do find it frustrating when people can't stop themselves from opening their mouths, hence the thread to vent off my irritation.

I'm not trying to share my faith with this friend as much as feel as if I can freely tell him where I've been and what I've been doing without having to leave out so much.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a right ole Ranting Preacher whose pitch is outside a major clothing store and right opposite a city centre tram stop.

How to respond to this nonsense?

I tend to ignore bad behaviour and give it no audience, but people are held captive waiting for the tram.
Do we heap burning coals and buy the guy endless cake in the hope that his mouth is busy elsewhere?
Should other Christians try and engage him in conversation?
Officially complain?

Hope to goodness that he's not on here and recognises himself.......?

I my wildest dreams i drag a soap box next to him and for five minutes go head to head.......then i wake up.

[ 27. May 2015, 11:33: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I'm not trying to share my faith with this friend as much as feel as if I can freely tell him where I've been and what I've been doing without having to leave out so much.

This IS a pain--I hate having to leave out most of what I've been doing or cast around for more socially acceptable terms because someone's delicate ears will be offended by the mere mention of Christianity. I used to have to do with my father when I was a teenager--now I just won't do it because I'm tired of it, and they can grow up. Or avoid me, I suppose. But anyone who asks me on Monday what I did yesterday is going to hear the word "church" (horrors!) and can just suck it up. I'm not going to refer to it as a social action group or something.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe I rather go with St.Paul, who wrote that when doing a good deed, your right hand should not know what your left is up to.(Rare agreement with St.Paul, here.)

I hate to rob you of a special moment with the Holy Apostle of the Gentiles, but it was some other guy who said that (about almsgiving). [Razz]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
Maybe I rather go with St.Paul, who wrote that when doing a good deed, your right hand should not know what your left is up to.(Rare agreement with St.Paul, here.)

I hate to rob you of a special moment with the Holy Apostle of the Gentiles, but it was some other guy who said that (about almsgiving). [Razz]
Sometimes you have to pretend it was Paul because some evangelicals won't accept anything if only Jesus said it. Has to come from Paul.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Well blow me down. Back to near total dislike of St. Paul.

It is worth considering, however, that many people, possibly because of negative experiences in their youth, shut down when religion is mentioned.

[ 28. May 2015, 12:17: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016