homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The next person I hear... (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The next person I hear...
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Whereas, if gays are not allowed to marry each other, they'll all turn straight, marry people of the opposite sex, and start producing lots of babies.

Exactly.

It's also crucial that we ban same sex couples from raising children via adoption, IVF, or artificial methods, because otherwise we will experience overpopulation, and DIE.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
FWIW, in IngoB's homeland, Germany, the population is facing precipitous decline.

Perhaps a little serious Catholicism there to boost the population wouldn't be such a dreadful thing. In the absence of practising Catholics, though, practising Muslims will probably have to do.

Yes, well, the fact that any particular subset of the human race might be in decline isn't the same as the human race being in decline, unless you start valuing certain members of the human race more than others.

I don't think Ingo's a racist. He might be a religionist, but there are plenty of Latin American Catholics doing their bit for the cause. Heck, they even have their own Pope now.

In terms of Germany as a geographic location, there are plenty of people to import from elsewhere.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
quote:
Whereas, if gays are not allowed to marry each other, they'll all turn straight, marry people of the opposite sex, and start producing lots of babies.

Exactly.

It's also crucial that we ban same sex couples from raising children via adoption, IVF, or artificial methods, because otherwise we will experience overpopulation, and DIE.

I've been to three same sex weddings in the past few months. I am an old lady so they've all been weddings with grandchildren present! Two were formerly straight married people who married in an attempt to "fit in" and had children with heir spouses only to realize they were clearly gay/lesbian and divorced and then raised their children from the marriage with their new partner while co-parenting with an ex. The third involved a bit younger same sex couple who used IVF. These are solid families with successful children and beautiful grandchildren. These are people who have been together for 20-30+ years and are finally able to formalize relationships that are more loving and enduring than many heterosexual relationships I've seen over the years. It is marriage in every sense of the word.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
art dunce, thank you for sharing that heartwarming story.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Now, back to our regularly scheduled sarcasm and Ingo mocking sessions...

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't think Ingo's a racist. He might be a religionist, but there are plenty of Latin American Catholics doing their bit for the cause. Heck, they even have their own Pope now.

Although bear in mind that Ingo strongly favours the previous (German) Pope over the new one. Charitable people might assume that's just because Ingo likes a conservative over a liberal... but this is the hell board... so it's probably because Ingo's a Nazi who favours the purity of the Aryan race.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is completely unfair, inaccurate, and wrong to call IngoB a Nazi, Hell board or no Hell board.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but this is the hell board

Which makes being a complete jerk an option. Not an obligation.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

[Paranoid] I guess not everyone shares my sense of humour.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... Equal Marriage will leave the toilet seat up ...

Only when it's between two blokes ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
]Whereas, if gays are not allowed to marry each other, they'll all turn straight, marry people of the opposite sex, and start producing lots of babies.

Hot Damn! Really? Must move to Australia AT ONCE, become straight and procreate! Why did no one tell me this before??? God Bless you Tony Abbott, God bless you.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The need of the human race to procreate is not the need of any individual human being to procreate. The need of the human race to procreate is not the duty of every human being to procreate.

Really, the argument you're making founders on that confusion. No one suggests that every human being must create food despite the fact that all human beings must eat.

Don't you know that social animals are immoral?

[Biased]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Paranoid] I guess not everyone shares my sense of humour.

Yeah, well, that's one of the disadvantages of racism.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reply to Starlight.

Humour intended or not it did rather come across like you just decided to go for the cheapest and nastiest shot you could think of for no good reason. IngoB is an annoying dogmatic sod but he has never given me any reason to believe he is prejudiced over race.

Many here would say he is prejudiced towards gay people but I actually don't think that's fair - he has religious convictions (that I think are wrong) that tell him he must take a certain view - same unjust and wrong result but different starting point than blanket and ignorant hatred.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

I often think internet forum posts are a bit like inkblot tests, as the ways people choose to resolve ambiguities and infer different emotions often says a lot about the interpreter.
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
Many here would say he is prejudiced towards gay people but I actually don't think that's fair - he has religious convictions (that I think are wrong) that tell him he must take a certain view - same unjust and wrong result but different starting point than blanket and ignorant hatred.

I've encountered a huge number of people who are/were in a similar situation to that. They didn't/don't have active animosity towards gay people, they just hold to certain idealistic principles (usually the bible and/or tradition) and those principles happen to tell them they should oppose gay rights.

The problem I have with such people is that their reasoning tends to completely leave out considering the wellbeing of the people involved. If they'd lived a couple of hundred years earlier, it would be like them discussing the topic of whether slavery is biblical, without at all thinking that it might be relevant to consider whether slavery had negative effects on the slaves.

It's a level of disinterest in the wellbeing of other humans that I find downright scary whenever I encounter it... it seems to evidence such a complete lack of empathy as to border on the psychopathic. But a lot of these sorts of people turn out to be otherwise good people, who if they actually knew and understood the harms they were doing to gay people they would be genuinely horrified. But they simply don't think to even explore that issue... they don't even actively reflect on questions of how gay people might feel about the situation, or what their motivations might be for wanting rights, or what harms might be done to them by denying those rights.

So they're missing knowledge, but they don't realize they're missing it, and their moral code of "the bible has spoken" givens them no incentive whatsoever to stop and actually try to empathize with others. That why religious moral codes can be so dangerous, because they tend to give little or no incentive to stop and think and investigate who is being hurt or harmed by the actions. Killing the infidel, burning the heretic, etc can become thought to be fine if God is believed to be saying so.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The problem I have with such people is that their reasoning tends to completely leave out considering the wellbeing of the people involved. If they'd lived a couple of hundred years earlier, it would be like them discussing the topic of whether slavery is biblical, without at all thinking that it might be relevant to consider whether slavery had negative effects on the slaves.

Exactly.

It boils down to doing as you are told rather than thinking for yourself. Some rules are wrong and should be broken.

I was brought up in the 60s in South Africa. My Dad broke the law all the time - the law was wrong. I learned to decide for myself what is right and what is wrong, not to be led by 'authority'.

In some cases RC 'law' is wrong and it's stance on homosexuality is one of those cases.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, I took Starlight to be mocking people attacking IngoB, not attributing Nazidom to IngoB himself.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Exactly.

I would suggest that the world is already experiencing overpopulation!
Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I often think internet forum posts are a bit like inkblot tests, as the ways people choose to resolve ambiguities and infer different emotions often says a lot about the interpreter.

The reader supplies part of the interpretation. But a post is not written by a random word generator.

Certain words will evoke responses. Using them carries the necessity of extra context if you are concerned about being understood as accurately as possible.

Not siding with any interpretation of what you wrote, BTW, just making a pedantic side-note.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact that any particular subset of the human race might be in decline isn't the same as the human race being in decline, unless you start valuing certain members of the human race more than others.
[...]
In terms of Germany as a geographic location, there are plenty of people to import from elsewhere.

But are you valuing Germans less than others? Is Germany nothing more than a geographic location?

If I remember rightly, you're Canadian. What you need to understand is that the rest of the world hasn't quite been psychologically 'Canadianised'. Governments will have to do a lot more work to convince ordinary Germans, Englishmen, Poles and everyone else that all that matters is making use of geographical space, and that there's no particular cultural value in Germanness, Englishness, or Polishness, etc., as such.

I feel we should also remind ourselves that freedom of religion (for RCs and everyone else) and gay rights are both the products of liberal Western culture. Official RC theology and gay rights may be antagonistic towards each other, but both may be threatened if a good number of the replacement population 'imported from elsewhere' happen to remain indifferent or hostile to western liberal culture.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... If I remember rightly, you're Canadian. What you need to understand is that the rest of the world hasn't quite been psychologically 'Canadianised'. ...

What exactly does 'Canadianised' mean? Back bacon instead of side bacon?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of the sort of country that revels in immigration and apparently manages it very well. Canada appears to be a very good example of such success.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo is Canadian?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't agree with Chesterbelloc on this, but I'd like to thank him for sticking around and contributing on something where he's very much in the minority. I appreciate it even when I don't agree.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo is not Canadian, so Svitlana's rather condescending point is also rather immaterial.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
I don't agree with Chesterbelloc on this, but I'd like to thank him for sticking around and contributing on something where he's very much in the minority. I appreciate it even when I don't agree.

And I very much appreciate your saying so, Louise.

It a real pain in the bahookie when people of obvious goodwill disgree so profoundly about an issue like this, but there it is.

It's the Fall, innit.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:

It's a level of disinterest in the wellbeing of other humans that I find downright scary whenever I encounter it... it seems to evidence such a complete lack of empathy as to border on the psychopathic. But a lot of these sorts of people turn out to be otherwise good people, who if they actually knew and understood the harms they were doing to gay people they would be genuinely horrified. But they simply don't think to even explore that issue... they don't even actively reflect on questions of how gay people might feel about the situation, or what their motivations might be for wanting rights, or what harms might be done to them by denying those rights.

This I entirely agree with. I'm not defending IngoB's position on the rights of LGBT people. I'm just cautioning against attacking the wrong end of the argument by attributing positions to people like him that they don't hold.
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
FWIW, I took Starlight to be mocking people attacking IngoB, not attributing Nazidom to IngoB himself.

You win a prize for correct interpretation. [Overused]

It was intended as satire of people on the internet in forums like this one making unfounded Nazi analogies. But clearly, Poe's law applies.

[ 19. July 2015, 02:04: Message edited by: Starlight ]

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

This would be relevant if you were ambiguous. You weren't - you explicitly referenced Nazism.

You tried to be ironic. Which isn't the same thing. And importantly, your post was sorely lacking in the kind of signals one needs in a text forum to indicate irony. I thought it was possible that's what you were trying to do, but really you did a pretty poor job of it.

And going for the humour defence... well, there are plenty of people who've claimed they were making jokes when they've been met with outrage. Remember the eminent scientist who joked about female scientists only a month or two ago? Saying you were joking doesn't actually save you from the fact that you weren't being funny.

Doesn't mean I think you're a horrible person. I do think, though, that you need to work on your act.

[ 19. July 2015, 03:27: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

quote:
This would be relevant if you were ambiguous. You weren't - you explicitly referenced Nazism.

A parody necessarily has to connect in some way to the thing being parodied.

quote:
And importantly, your post was sorely lacking in the kind of signals one needs in a text forum to indicate irony.
I literally explicitly stated in the post that there was sarcasm happening. All my previous posts in this thread mocking Ingo took the same tone, so I assumed context would also be suggestive. Clearly a few people read it the wrong way, which suggests I could have been clearer, but not everyone did which suggests I didn't fail totally to convey my intent. It is, of course, quite hard in general to do satire in a way that is entirely unambiguous because explaining any joke is the fastest way to make it unfunny.

quote:
I thought it was possible that's what you were trying to do, but really you did a pretty poor job of it.
[Razz]
I posted it at 2am, so it was never going to be my best work.

quote:
Saying you were joking doesn't actually save you from the fact that you weren't being funny.
[Roll Eyes]
You are, of course, the objective judge of humour.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
You are, of course, the objective judge of humour.

You are, of course, just behaving in your typical way.

[ 19. July 2015, 05:54: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
orfeo is not Canadian, so Svitlana's rather condescending point is also rather immaterial.

I thought he lived in Canada but was of English descent. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Nevertheless, I don't understand how my point is condescending. It's pretty clear that some countries do immigration more successfully than others. If they're successful regarding SSM that's also noteworthy.

The assumption on the Left is that the ideal modern nation is both multicultural yet also socially liberal, but creating harmony between these two elements is not always easy. If the liberal element declines because of a low birthrate and immigration increases the more conservative element that's likely to present challenges at some point.

orfeo

# 13878

I am Australian. Which in many ways is the nearest equivalent to Canadian anyway, in the respect you were talking about.

And yes, if that means that I'm not especially fussed whether the people living within the boundaries are tall, fair-skinned and blonde, so be it. Give the new immigrants enough thousands of years and they'll lose their melanin in the same way as the original immigrants to Germany didd.

But the low birth rate in Germany includes all the people already in Germany who aren't tall, fair-skinned and blonde, so that doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Also, if you're going to bring up the birth rate in Germany, it is worth mentioning that Germany doesn't have same-sex marriage and yet apparently has an even lower birth rate than the European countries that have same-sex marriage, thus rather negating the whole premise.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

My focus was on culture and immigration, not melanin, nor any premise about SSM leading to low birthrates.

Thanks for clarifying that you're from Australia, a country which encourages the immigration of skilled people, few of whom are likely to have significant problems with integration. Immigration to Europe includes people of all kinds of ethnic and social backgrounds, but there are far more unskilled people, and more from cultures that are less easy to integrate. I imagine we have more social segregation than Australia as well. The fact that immigrants end up having smaller families than they would have had otherwise doesn't necessarily negate these issues.

All this being the case, it's hard to see how the cause of gay rights - and other liberal rights - in the future is likely to be served by increasing immigration to places like Germany, an option that you suggested was the best way to deal with the low German birthrate.

I'm sure SSM will soon happen in Germany, though. Even those bothersome Catholics won't be able to prevent it for too long!

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SvitlanaV2: All this being the case, it's hard to see how the cause of gay rights - and other liberal rights - in the future is likely to be served by increasing immigration to places like Germany, an option that you suggested was the best way to deal with the low German birthrate.
In spite of a lot of fearmongering about this from the right, I don't see immigrants taking away gay rights in the Netherlands.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

They don't have the power to do so, do they? But one outcome of social segregation, I suppose, is that it prevents one group from easily imposing its cultural values upon another. Conservative ethnic minority groups may maintain religious and cultural boundaries for their own members, but have little influence over others.

At what point this internal power will begin to have a significantly impact on the outside culture is an interesting question.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And yet Australia has a lousy record on gay rights, which suggests that anti-immigrant sentiment is more likely to correspond with homophobia.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I'm sure that connection is true to some extent. However, I've heard that the Australian government wants to send boat people away, but willingly takes skilled immigrants who apply through the official channels, so it's not entirely 'anti-immigrant'.

In the UK I think there is a growing disconnect between being pro-immigration and anti-homophobia. For example, if you go to The Guardian website you can see how atheists and others are becoming concerned about homophobic Muslim communities being unwilling to absorb socially liberal values. Of course, these commentators criticise Christians too, but Christians can be more easily dismissed, because they act and believe on a more individualistic basis and because Christianity is generally withdrawing from the public sphere.

[ 19. July 2015, 13:29: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the rabid secularists on Guardian CIF are much indication of anything.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rabid secularists. Rabid secularists? Such an odd phrase, generally trotted out by those who think their religion is under attack when their privilege is threatened.
What is wrong with the state being separated from religion? It doesn't mean religion goes away, look at the US.
Hmmm, maybe you are correct. US religious nutters manage to incorporate religion into everything, maybe the state can serve to better muzzle the rabid dogs of intolerance.

Just to clarify, I'm not anti-religion. Just anti state religion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... What you need to understand is that the rest of the world hasn't quite been psychologically 'Canadianised'. Governments will have to do a lot more work to convince ordinary Germans, Englishmen, Poles and everyone else that all that matters is making use of geographical space, and that there's no particular cultural value in Germanness, Englishness, or Polishness, etc., as such. ...

Well, that's obviously a misunderstanding of Canada's commitment to multiculturalism. We actually do think there is value in Englishness and Polishness. We just don't think that they are more valuable or need to be protected or separated from e.g. Punjabiness or Beijingness. One hundred years ago, my neighbourhood was a working class area for colonists from the UK who built their own houses from kits. Today it is a complete scramble of Aboriginal, Filipino, Latin American, Middle Eastern, North African, South-East Asian, you name it, plus yuppies and hipsters looking for cheap(er) real estate in the centre of town. Many of those 100-year-old kit houses are still here, now homes to immigrant families or groups of university students. The Anglican church bills itself as "a multi-ethnic community of richness and diversity ... determined to be free of racism and we are a community that provides meals for the poor." The best pizzeria in the area is operated by a family from Afghanistan, and the best sushi is made by a chef from Korea.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Rabid secularists. Rabid secularists? Such an odd phrase, generally trotted out by those who think their religion is under attack when their privilege is threatened.
What is wrong with the state being separated from religion? It doesn't mean religion goes away, look at the US.
Hmmm, maybe you are correct. US religious nutters manage to incorporate religion into everything, maybe the state can serve to better muzzle the rabid dogs of intolerance.

Just to clarify, I'm not anti-religion. Just anti state religion.

I'm not talking about proponents of disestablishment, I'm talking about the screeching horde that descends on any mention of Christianity in public life in the Guardian. Whether it's faith schools, or the Pope expressing political opinions, they're there wittering about sky fairies or claiming religion should be entirely private and never mentioned in public and children shouldn't be exposed to religion until they're 18.
orfeo

# 13878

The clusterfuck that is Australia's shifting immigration history is far too large a topic for this thread.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't understand how my point is condescending.

What you need to understand is that "what you need to understand" is a condescending way to begin a sentence.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a thing of beauty, Leaf.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:

It's the Fall, innit.

As Doc Tor reminds us up-thread, by reference to St Paul, marriage itself is a patch over one of the cracks in our fallen nature. There will be no marriage in the Kingdom.

Is it impossible to be a faithful Catholic and yet to believe that it might be kind and loving for a community to share its "fixes" as widely as possible?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul was an insufferable jerk among othere things. His stupid ideas about marraige and sex have more to do with his personality than any general Fall. Sex is not dirty except when enjoyed.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nevertheless, I don't understand how my point is condescending. ...
The assumption on the Left is that the ideal modern nation is both multicultural yet also socially liberal, but creating harmony between these two elements is not always easy. If the liberal element declines because of a low birthrate and immigration increases the more conservative element that's likely to present challenges at some point.

I didn't have time to respond over the weekend, but Leaf made the point about condescension far better than I could have.

I think I would argue with your characterization of the Left's assumptions. I'm not a perfect Left cartoon character, but it seems to me that in the increasingly global economy, nations are going to be increasingly multicultural whether they like it or not. Since neither liberals nor conservatives generally* seem willing to give up the benefits of global trade, the question of multiculturalism isn't "Is this ideal?" It's "How are we going to handle something which is inevitable in a just manner that increases stability instead of decreasing it?"

In the US, the liberal response (and even the response of some "Establishment Republicans") is that an increasing degree of social liberalism is probably helpful and doesn't really cost very much (important to Republicans who are fiscally conservative, as opposed to those who just think they are).

When things reach the point that there is blood in the streets, whether because the peasants are revolting or because the populace is being brutally suppressed, it is both the "conservative" and the "liberal" who have failed.

*One might expect that the "back to the farm, locally grown and sourced, simplified life" group would be conservative, since it hearkens back to a time when life was more rurally based and sustainable. In the US, though, this is usually supported by liberals at least as much as by conservatives, who are more likely to be thinking in apocalyptic terms when they embrace the lifestyle.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
I don't understand how my point is condescending.

What you need to understand is that "what you need to understand" is a condescending way to begin a sentence.
I see. Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone here (Hell notwithstanding), so I'd better say sorry.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
... What you need to understand is that the rest of the world hasn't quite been psychologically 'Canadianised'. Governments will have to do a lot more work to convince ordinary Germans, Englishmen, Poles and everyone else that all that matters is making use of geographical space, and that there's no particular cultural value in Germanness, Englishness, or Polishness, etc., as such. ...

Well, that's obviously a misunderstanding of Canada's commitment to multiculturalism. We actually do think there is value in Englishness and Polishness. We just don't think that they are more valuable or need to be protected or separated from e.g. Punjabiness or Beijingness. One hundred years ago, my neighbourhood was a working class area for colonists from the UK who built their own houses from kits. Today it is a complete scramble of Aboriginal, Filipino, Latin American, Middle Eastern, North African, South-East Asian, you name it, plus yuppies and hipsters looking for cheap(er) real estate in the centre of town. Many of those 100-year-old kit houses are still here, now homes to immigrant families or groups of university students. The Anglican church bills itself as "a multi-ethnic community of richness and diversity ... determined to be free of racism and we are a community that provides meals for the poor." The best pizzeria in the area is operated by a family from Afghanistan, and the best sushi is made by a chef from Korea.
This is great. I live in a multicultural area of a multicultural city too. My ethnic and cultural inheritance is also mixed.

Nevertheless, I'm still not convinced that our societies (especially outside the most multicultural areas) are prepared for the kinds of challenges that lie ahead. Our governments tend not to enunciate the ideological implications of mass immigration, nor sing the praises of globalisation. I doubt they ever will.

The people of the world will do as they see best, as is their right, with regards to SSM, immigration or anything else. I simply wanted to point out that replacing one culture with another (as someone proposed in an earlier post) may not necessarily serve the interests of all groups in society. This is not just about immigration either; all cultures change regardless of immigration, and there are always winners and losers.

But in the long run it's all in God's hands and we're all dead, so I'm not complaining as such. I do find it interesting, though.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nevertheless, I'm still not convinced that our societies (especially outside the most multicultural areas) are prepared for the kinds of challenges that lie ahead.

Same as it ever was....

quote:

The people of the world will do as they see best, as is their right, with regards to SSM, immigration or anything else. I simply wanted to point out that replacing one culture with another (as someone proposed in an earlier post) may not necessarily serve the interests of all groups in society. This is not just about immigration either; all cultures change regardless of immigration, and there are always winners and losers.

But in the long run it's all in God's hands and we're all dead, so I'm not complaining as such. I do find it interesting, though.

No one knows what will happen, things may not work out well, but there's nothing to be done about it. Thanks for that lengthy analysis which you seem to find interesting.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016