homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hot as hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hot as hell
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the city of lights, everyone. Today it is going to be 39°C in the shade. You are going to take the metro to get to and from work and only some of your fellow passengers will have taken a shower or availed themselves of deodorant. For your added enjoyment, we also have a massive spike in air pollution. Breathing has been made optional for the day.

We’re going to die.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] <-- this is not so much an expression of annoyance as a pictorial representation of how infernally bloody hot it is

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tad warm down your way, is it?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's going to be fractionally cooler here in Central London - 34 degrees with the peak arriving for my journey home!

Last night it was already unbearably hot on the concourse of Victoria Station waiting for my train's platform to be displayed.

Air Con not working properly in our part of the office building. Wondering if the wi-fi works in the 'ladies' as it's much cooler in there.

I HATE these very high temperatures!!!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the sort of temperatures we were getting 5-6 weeks ago before I left Japan, and that was still spring.

Of course, the news is dominated by "Britain swelters in heat wave". Though, it certainly doesn't feel like a heat wave here. Though, as usual, "Britain" means the south of England.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're having a heat wave here - the mercury hit 17C yesterday afternoon, and it might hit 20 later today. I may start to melt.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tropical cyclone has formed around the Solomon Islands - unheard of in July, which is winter down here. So the unseasonably warm weather is not just in Europe.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prague is a mere 26 C. If you stick to the shady side of Vaclavske Namesti, take your iced coffee in the upper room of the little Costa next Mustek - over there, say, by the open window - then it's only 3 stops back to Vysehrad, where you can sit on a tree-shaded rampart and watch the great grey green Vltava far below.

I don't know what you lot are complaining about.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not like we weren't warned.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only a tad over 32C here, quite pleasant - and will be cooler the next few days as we will be up on the plateau. Cold the other night though when it was a mere 26C!!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
We're having a heat wave here - the mercury hit 17C yesterday afternoon, and it might hit 20 later today. I may start to melt.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Only a tad over 32C here, quite pleasant - and will be cooler the next few days as we will be up on the plateau. Cold the other night though when it was a mere 26C!!!

[Big Grin]

I'm kind of curious to hear from Comet now, about what point people in her locale start to call it a hot summer day [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
A tropical cyclone has formed around the Solomon Islands - unheard of in July, which is winter down here. So the unseasonably warm weather is not just in Europe.

It's almost as if some kind of change to the global climate is happening...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Of course, the news is dominated by "Britain swelters in heat wave". Though, it certainly doesn't feel like a heat wave here. Though, as usual, "Britain" means the south of England.

I'll give Paris 39C, but to this Aussie the idea that 34C in London is a heatwave is rather unimpressive. Sure, it's pretty warm, but not anything remarkable.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's supposed to get into the upper 80's today. Not actually that much of a problem—'bout typical for this time of year, if on the warm side—except for the humidity. Which is mostly just annoying as I bike to work through air I could spread on toast and arrive looking both like I could use a shower and just came out of one.

Well, except for that whole "atmospheric energy + atmospheric moisture = Big Storms" part. The Big Furry Barking Thing What Lives Downstairs was not happy, and several routes people use to get into The City have been flooded, covered with river sand, half-cleaned, then promptly reflooded. Or tree roots no longer holding in the soggy ground, leaning to giant oaks falling through peoples' roofs and onto their cars.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glances out of window at grey skies and pissing rain.... Yup, it's summer here in north east Scotland.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Glances out of window at grey skies and pissing rain.... Yup, it's summer here in north east Scotland.

Aye, but the rain's warmer than usual, is it not?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, yes. The warmer rain and slightly muggy quality to the grey probably explains why I'm currently listening to a delightful combination of thunder and pattering rain.

It was our Sunday School picnic on Sunday. We ate it in the church hall, listening to the rain bouncing off the roof.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend in Baltimore says it's a pleasant 71 there.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from Western Canuckistan where it was 42ºC in motherfucking June. In the mountains. Thankfully there is a plentitude of glacier-fed lakes to cool off in - for now, while the glaciers last.

Also heard that we are officially the latest extinction event. Yay us.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend and I went out last night to photograph Jupiter and Venus, as close as they are going to get. Forecast - no cloud. We just managed to shoot two exposures, with the two planets either side of a strip of the stuff which was rapidly advancing to cover the rest of the sky. (I'm going to have to edit the pics to remove irritating aircraft trails). and then, on the way home, we encountered rain with huge drops, splatting on the windscreen. The sort of rain which would have been very much wetter than usual is we'd been out in it. No pattering on offer. Just over about half a mile of the A2, then all was dry again.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been about 94°F here most of the afternoon, which is just on the edge of starting to be difficult for me (I'd already ruled out the Marathon des Sables for other reasons, though). But mostly it's been all right. The bridge across platforms at the station and the lift were pretty definitely in excess of that - they are suntraps at the best of times.

Public transport is currently a freaking nightmare though. Speed restrictions, delays, cancellations, overcrowding, as well as the usual "signalling problems" and everything else make getting around or being anywhere on time almost impossible. There isn't any point in complaining, the staff at Customer Services aren't to blame for this and can't do anything about it.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'll give Paris 39C, but to this Aussie the idea that 34C in London is a heatwave is rather unimpressive. Sure, it's pretty warm, but not anything remarkable.

In London, it is both remarkable and a heatwave. This is supposed to be the temperate zone, temperatures like this in this locality are rare.

For that reason we are also mightily impressed (or depressed) by as much as a whole two inches of snow in the winter.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please could someone return me to my regularly scheduled Scottish summer? I'd be very happy with clear & dry and about 20C.

We've not had the rain, but it's so close and oppressive, I'm eagerly awaiting the thunderstorms we're supposed to be getting... (on the plus side, my flat is nice and cool)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'll try to send our thunderstorms south, kingsfold.
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was 36 C in Sheffield today. Whilst driving to Lincolnshire I saw someone in shorts in Bawtry - I thought they were illegal in South Yorks. Mrs passer is still at work. I'm limbering up for the "do we really have to have a bloody quilt in this weather?" discussion when she gets home.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was so hot today!

How hot was it?

It was so hot I broke a sweat while composing a text message. No kidding.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hot and sticky most of the day but we had a light shower on the way to work, which was very refreshing. Could have used another on the way home!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
It was 36 C in Sheffield today. Whilst driving to Lincolnshire I saw someone in shorts in Bawtry - I thought they were illegal in South Yorks.

Shorts wearer must have been under the impression he was playing Rugby League (it is the RL season).
quote:

Mrs passer is still at work. I'm limbering up for the "do we really have to have a bloody quilt in this weather?" discussion when she gets home.

We have that too, but at our age she can't abide the quilt. Window open, fan on, no quilt.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sissies.

In Oz for many of us it's only warm enough to get the bathing suit out if it's over 35.

BL. Currently minus 1 degree Celsius here. Not expected to get into double figures today. I consider that hellish.
I'll swap ya.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Sissies.

In Oz for many of us it's only warm enough to get the bathing suit out if it's over 35.

BL. Currently minus 1 degree Celsius here. Not expected to get into double figures today. I consider that hellish.
I'll swap ya.

It's a deal. Just put a fucking jumper on and quit your whining. Fucking poikilotherms.

[ 01. July 2015, 21:39: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been distinctly damp and sticky round the Trossachs for the last week.

I guess I should have worn a kilt...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider: [...] Fucking poikilotherms.
What are poikilotherms, and why are you fucking them? Does your wife know?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the 34°C that's the problem, it's 34°C on the tube that's not nice, particularly the Central Line with no air conditioning and too many bodies all pumping out their kW each.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thing is, it's July. It's summer. A few days of (seasonably) hot weather isn't all that unusual. We just like to moan about it when it's not a sunny summer, and complain it's too hot the moment the clouds disappear... [Razz]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It's not the 34°C that's the problem, it's 34°C on the tube that's not nice, particularly the Central Line with no air conditioning and too many bodies all pumping out their kW each.

Note to Banner Lady: sooner or later someone will add this to the arguments against light rail in our town.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Budapest in Hungary can be seriously warm in summer. In 2006 they put into service some new "Combino" trams, fitted with conventional heating and cooling systems. But the temperatures inside them became unbearable, and the trams had to be retrofitted with air-conditioning.

It strikes me that one problem with modern public transportation is that they don't have windows that open, but sealed units. That's fine in winter, and it helps keep down noise, but it's hopeless in summer.

The older tube trains had opening windows above every seat - incredibly rattly and noisy, but cooler. And the RT bus had windows at the front of the top deck which could be wound down to give a great breeze through the bus!

The old Lisbon trams have windows which can be dropped down right into the bodywork - they used to have open end platforms, too. (This was great in the summer but not so good if a playful kid with a water pistol was standing by the side of the road - I speak from experience!)

Air-conditioning is not an answer: it is very difficult to "do" in narrow Tube tunnels (where does the heat go?), and ultimately increases energy use and global warming.

[ 02. July 2015, 10:02: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Phoenix it has been in the 42C range most days for the past month or more.

Here in Ottawa, it is as if summer has not yet arrived. Some days highs are only in the mid-teens. Yesterday, 22C; today 22C. At least the weekend looks a bit warmer.

Guess where I'd rather be?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh bliss! I've been standing in the garden under cool lovely RAIN [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] !

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Mrs passer is still at work. I'm limbering up for the "do we really have to have a bloody quilt in this weather?" discussion when she gets home.

Never mind the quilt. Last night I was seriously contemplating dispensing with the bed. I’m convinced it would have been less hot to sleep on the floor.

I understand why our Australian shippies think we are wimps, but the thing is, in Australia you’re set up for the heat. Even relatively modest homes often have air conditioning and/or swimming pools. Your houses are built to keep the heat out. In a lot of Western Europe we build to keep the heat in.

The public transport is the worst. None of it is air-conditioned. I swear if they transported animals in these conditions it would be illegal. The heat causes technical faults, which makes the trains even more over-crowded than usual, and then added delays kick in as our fellow commuters start keeling over from heat exhaustion*. Fun times.

*Not their fault. I have in the past come this close to passing out on the London Underground. The train pulled into a station just in time for me to stagger out onto the platform. Thirty seconds more and I was a goner. I was feeling fine when I boarded.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I thought last night would be a problem but it wasn’t. Windows open, duvet on, it was fine. I suspect I may be acclimatized to this, though. At least we’ve had a few days of summer – people pay to go abroad and soak up the sun and heat and we’ve just had it for free.

I agree it is worse in cities where the heat bounces back off the pavement at you and is reflected by large expanses of glass windows and the metal of cars, or when it’s amplified by machinery in confined spaces like the Tube.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I understand why our Australian shippies think we are wimps, but the thing is, in Australia you’re set up for the heat. Even relatively modest homes often have air conditioning and/or swimming pools. Your houses are built to keep the heat out. In a lot of Western Europe we build to keep the heat in.

No air con here (and yes, my house does get relatively foul, but that's what the fan is for - alternatively, decamp to somewhere like a cinema). In Canberra a heating system is more important. Most certainly no swimming pool.

In Western Europe you heat your buildings to temperatures that Australians find unpleasantly warm. Australians walking into an European building have to rapidly shed layers. Conversely, Europeans walking into Australian buildings keep as many layers on as possible!

[ 02. July 2015, 11:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
quote:

Thing is, it's July. It's summer. A few days of (seasonably) hot weather isn't all that unusual. We just like to moan about it when it's not a sunny summer
I don't. I like it.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Last night I was seriously contemplating dispensing with the bed. I’m convinced it would have been less hot to sleep on the floor.

When I was a child, on hot nights I not only slept on the floor, but I did it downstairs to the ground floor where it was cooler.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider: [...] Fucking poikilotherms.
What are poikilotherms, and why are you fucking them? Does your wife know?
What do they teach them in the schools today? - point being about people who don't seem to generate any internal heat so whine about the cold when it's anything approaching comfortable and actually sit out in the sun. q.v. lizards, snakes, etc.

[ 02. July 2015, 11:55: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to bring a jacket when I cycled to work this morning. So, given my normal state of luck, we can be very sure that it's going to poor down on England when it's time for me to cycle back again.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
So, given my normal state of luck, we can be very sure that it's going to poor down on England when it's time for me to cycle back again.

The destitute, indigent and unwaged falling out of the skies on top of you? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Baptist Trainfan: The destitute, indigent and unwaged falling out of the skies on top of you? [Devil]
They always do [Smile] I also realise that I probably should have written 'coat' instead of 'jacket' (they're the same word in Dutch).

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in western Canada. There's smoke everywhere. I'm 400 km south and east of the blazes, 135 forest fires, but there's smoke like I haven' t seen it since ~1980. Evacuations everywhere in the north. They are shipping people up to 1200 km. The sun in blood red this morning with haze visible between the neighbours and ourselves. Canada Day fireworks cancelled. Taste of smoke in the air.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
El Nino year here, which means wet and cooler. Haven't had to water the lawn once, which is awesome, although the buildings here in the desert aren't built for this amount of moisture, so my office has been struggling with water damage and a musty smell.

Now for the hellish bit. I'm not a climate change denier, but has anyone else noticed an annoying trend of people blaming perfectly normal yet non-ideal weather on climate change? It snowed on Mother's Day this year, which is actually not that unusual- it's happened many times in my life. But everyone and his brother was talking about how "we better get used to this kind of thing going forward."

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a huge "blob" of warm water sitting off the coast of Oregon - 4C warmer than the surrounding ocean. It is believed to be affecting the weather along the West Coast, but the details are uncertain as it seems to be a relatively recent discovery.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Now for the hellish bit. I'm not a climate change denier, but has anyone else noticed an annoying trend of people blaming perfectly normal yet non-ideal weather on climate change? It snowed on Mother's Day this year, which is actually not that unusual- it's happened many times in my life. But everyone and his brother was talking about how "we better get used to this kind of thing going forward."

Yup. The number of people (deniers and non-deniers alike) who can't tell the difference between climate and weather is huge.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016