homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Punching Up and Punching Down

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Punching Up and Punching Down
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't have a TICTH thread but, just for the record, I'd like to call to Hell all those who have used these terms, principally on the Hate Speech thread in Purgatory. I believe it started with Bibliophile, which wouldn't surprise me as s/he is very and deliberately annoying too.

I get the idea what it is shorthand for, but it's imprecise and I've yet to see a use that hasn't been derogatory.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second that. I've been letting loose a little rant in my head every time I read those terms.
Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to Google it - and came across this, not sure who by.

"The concept is used so that it's completely acceptable for certain groups of people to be as vile and disgusting as they want with their "humor" since they are "punching up" while still giving them the ability to "call out" people who make a joke they don't like. Through their logic, they can now establish the types of humor are acceptable and the types that aren't."

Makes sense.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I have no idea what TICTH stands for, I looked for it with Google. What I found was a link to a previous Ship of Fools thread on the subject, which likewise did not define it.

I take it TICTH is some kind of inside joke.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

"The concept is used so that it's completely acceptable for certain groups of people to be as vile and disgusting as they want with their "humor" since they are "punching up" while still giving them the ability to "call out" people who make a joke they don't like. Through their logic, they can now establish the types of humor are acceptable and the types that aren't."

Makes sense.

My point exactly

Thanks for finding that.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH = Today I consign to hell.

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

Makes sense.

My point exactly

Thanks for finding that.

BA, you do as much of it as anyone. Put the false humility aside, it doesn't suit you.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Makes sense.

First, that is a bullshit definition. No, it really is.
Punch up, not down means don't bully. This is the essence of the thing.
The definition above is loaded as hell and that is generally a clue.
Agree or disagree, but get the concept right first.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Killing me]

Best you've got?
I suppose if you don't have the ability to form a coherent reply, it is best to resort to smilies.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

The definition posted by Boogie is exactly what the punching up/punching down thing is all about. Your claim that it's about not bullying is simply laughable. If you were concerned about bullying, you would have a problem with punching period which you obviously don't.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Makes sense.

First, that is a bullshit definition. No, it really is.

You think bosses can't be bullied by workers?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Here is the answer to my own question. But, just because it is rare doesn't mean it never happens.

"Hierarchical Bullying, Peer Bullying, Upward Bullying

The majority of cases of workplace bullying reported to Tim Field's UK National Workplace Bullying Advice Line involved an individual being bullied by their manager, accounting for around 75% of cases. Around a quarter of cases involved bullying and harassment by peers (often with the collusion of a manager either by proactive involvement or by the manager refusing to take action). Only 2% of cases involved the bullying of a manager by a subordinate."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
The definition posted by Boogie is exactly what the punching up/punching down thing is all about. Your claim that it's about not bullying is simply laughable. If you were concerned about bullying, you would have a problem with punching period which you obviously don't.

As if making a declarative statement is all that is necessary to prove a point. How about some examples of your definition in use?
Here is one demonstrating mine.

quote:
You think bosses can't be bullied by workers?

Where did I say anything resembling this?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boogie:
[qb]
The definition above is loaded as hell and that is generally a clue.
Agree or disagree, but get the concept right first.

Well no, having seen this in action by its practitioners, I have to disagree. It's a boiling down of the idea common in certain strands of identity politics which interprets intersectionality to mean that there is a hierarchy of oppressed groups - so where you fall on the hierarchy dictates who you are allowed to criticise/satirise/argue with. ( 'punching up' or 'punching down')

The hierarchy is a kind of inversion of who is thought to have 'privilege' in society, so instead of being at the top, white straight cis men are at the bottom etc. The problem with this is that it starts to assume a kind of infallibility for people further down the hierarchy, so no matter how malicious, personality-disordered, religiously-fanatic, nasty or downright thick such a person is, if they argue with the white cis, het guy, then even if he is a cross between Pope Francis and Albert Einstein with a side of being pro-women's rights and LGBT friendly, they are right and he is wrong and must shut up. The same is the case if a WCHG or WCHWoman or White Cis Gay person dares to mock a non-white person of any sort who wants to cut their heads off for having same sex intercourse, make their testimony worth half that of the opposite sex, force them into purdah, jail them for being raped, or shoot them for drawing a cartoon...

Ship of Fools isn't my only bulletin board where I post and the other one (no names - we don't do that here) has caught a bad, bad case of this. The dogpiling bullies over there who hang out in the equivalent of the Styx waving their pixellated pitchforks contain large numbers of what you might term 'lottery winners' in the Intersectionality Olympics. Surprise surprise, they don't behave any better than anyone else accorded a species of infallibility - even if they are getting a bit of revenge for normally getting the shitty end of the stick in society at large.

So imagine my joy to see this concept used to excuse all kinds of religious fascism and bullying getting imported over here. No thanks. You can tear up my card-carrying liberal card before I'll lie down for that. If you want to argue against the powerful oppressing the powerless, it can be done without assuming that any relative lack of privilege somehow confers infallibility and immunity from criticism on people, regardless of the merits of the case or not.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Louise,

Not at all doubting your experience. But it is not universal. The use I've encountered has been more like the link I posted in response to BA.

The idea that someone should be wrong because of what they are is wrong. Whilst I have seen your example happening,* what I see much more of is people using derogatory terms and whinging when others protest.

Here a problem: If things were anywhere near balance, we would likely not be having this conversation.

*My nephew, at ~5 or 6 IIRC, said white people were responsible for all bad things. His mother and I set him straight, but it is a difficult conversation with someone of that age.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Well no, having seen this in action by its practitioners, I have to disagree ... regardless of the merits of the case or not.

Phwarrr

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Punch down is what you do to bread dough after the first rising. The rest of it is just stupid.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Louise,

Not at all doubting your experience. But it is not universal. The use I've encountered has been more like the link I posted in response to BA.

The idea that someone should be wrong because of what they are is wrong. Whilst I have seen your example happening,* what I see much more of is people using derogatory terms and whinging when others protest.

Here a problem: If things were anywhere near balance, we would likely not be having this conversation.

*My nephew, at ~5 or 6 IIRC, said white people were responsible for all bad things. His mother and I set him straight, but it is a difficult conversation with someone of that age.

Honestly, and this is maybe a bit unhellish, I see quite a lot of where you're coming from - because when I first met this I was very interested in it and yes, saw it being used to call out things like trivialising rape - but the thing is - you can call someone out for trivialising rape without this underpinning.

The point where I went 'whoa!' was when I saw it being used to shut up people talking about the other kinds of misogyny that kill women and stunt their lives - to wit any form of misogynist religious fanaticism where the rapists, murders or sexists are not white, and I saw how this left the women in minority communities who were campaigning against honour killings, sharia, their rights being rolled back by male 'community leaders' isolated and the people who should have been their allies, retreating because we were afraid of being accused of racism if we spoke up. Then I saw it being used to excuse murder and to destroy the reputations of the murdered because they were deemed to have 'punched down' by satirising and speaking out against fundamentalism.

And it really made me think about it. And the conclusion I came to was that yes, it does end up propagating the idea 'that someone should be wrong because of what they are'. Indeed recently I came across a commenting community which made that explicit in its commenting rules and I thought about why I was so uncomfortable with something which in many cases was kicking against the same things I thought ought to be kicked against. I came to the conclusion that though well-intentioned, it was becoming a new form of infallibility/immunity.

Meet the new elite - same as the old elite: as in whatever gives you privileges for what you were born as or born into, produces the same arrogant entitled behaviour, even if it's seen as a kind of 'evening up' for people who are normally underprivileged. It becomes not your argument and your evidence but what groups you belong to that matters. The most abominable atrocities get downplayed because it's 'punching down' to critique their perpetrators - even when rape or the killing of LGBT people, the murder of innocent people for their religion, or the murder of journalists/ curtailing of freedom of speech are involved.

And if you think I'm just saying that because I'm a privileged white woman, I can't put it better than Southall Black Sisters. I think this is something which looks on the surface like a good idea but ends up being a danger to universal human rights. Sorry.

[ 13. July 2015, 21:56: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can tear up my card-carrying liberal card before I'll lie down for that. If you want to argue against the powerful oppressing the powerless, it can be done without assuming that any relative lack of privilege somehow confers infallibility and immunity from criticism on people, regardless of the merits of the case or not.

[Overused]

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise be smart.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What it comes down to is just because someone is an oppressed minority doesn't mean they are a nice person. A member of an oppressed minority can be just as much a hate-filled bullying jerk as a member of an unoppressed group, and it's just as wrong when they are. I never heard the "punch up, punch down" terminology before this, but this is still what it comes down to. Hateful behavior is hateful no matter who is doing it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

I came to the conclusion that though well-intentioned, it was becoming a new form of infallibility/immunity.

And this is wrong for it to be used so.
Since your link to SBS brings up Charlie Hebdo, let me make a couple of comments.
One, never did I ever say or think that they deserved, or brought down, an attack on themselves. And anyone justifying this in any way is wrong.
I did say they were arseholes. I am re-evaluating that, but the original thought never meant that I thought the attack was any less horrendous or at all justified.

Back to meanings.
Black Pride. Black pride originated as a counter to being made to feel ashamed of the colour of your skin. To your entire identity being the colour of your skin. It was taken, by some, a bit further to mean black superiority. This does not change the original meaning, nor does it change that it still retains the original meaning.
Here is a problem I have with the punching up, not down being assigned the meaning you express: Every time a phrase or concept is generated which might be a short-hand way to address an issue, someone fucks it up. Either by taking it too far or denying its validity. And we let them.

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
What it comes down to is just because someone is an oppressed minority doesn't mean they are a nice person.

This is most true.
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Hateful behavior is hateful no matter who is doing it.

This is also true. I would qualify this by saying not all hateful behaviour has the same effect.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would qualify this by saying not all hateful behaviour has the same effect.
You imply (though I'm not sure if you meant to) that from a utilitarian point of view, the hateful behaviour of the relatively powerless is a lesser evil; their lack of influence necessarily limiting the impact of their hate.

This seems to have a certain internal logic; to me it suggests a (nother) reason not to be a utilitarian.

And Louise - great posts, increasingly pertinent to my really plural environment.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I look at this is that it's the difference between pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes and pointing out the same for the homeless woman huddled in a doorway.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Not really, that's the feel-good over-simplified version. In actual fact, it's also used to say if the emperor is leading a witch-hunt, we may say boo, but if the homeless woman in the doorway is leading a lynch mob about to beat to death a fellow homeless person, because she thinks she's bewitched her with a wax poppet- we must not criticise or mock, because her poverty means however fanatical and dangerous her religious belief, we are metaphorically 'punching down' if we say anything -  meanwhile someone innocent who we should have protected actually gets punched to death.

Will come back to LB's points later.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not really, that's the feel-good over-simplified version.

And yours is the feel-bad slippery-slope version.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Context is everything, as always.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Not really, that's the feel-good over-simplified version.

And yours is the feel-bad slippery-slope version.
People who suffer economic hardship and prejudice don't only empower themselves or react to suffering in ways which respect others, especially not where religion is concerned. Religions held by relatively underprivileged people can, for example, codify a subordinate status for women, other religious groups, people of different castes or sexual orientations, or allow vigilanteism/physical punishment against people who transgress purity codes/commit heresy/apostasy/blasphemy/idolatry, or can allow for people to be murdered on the grounds of false beliefs about witchcraft. Once critiques of such practices are delegitimised on grounds of 'privilege' their victims can get deprived of the help, shelter and protection of those powerful enough to stop their persecutors.

Sometimes religious revivals come about as a way of underprivileged people feeling more empowered and comforted in their lives - but if the religion encodes oppressive practices of its own, then even if it is practised by a relatively underprivileged group, it may need to be resisted or critiqued. And if there is a revival going on, more and more people may be victimised as a more hard-core form of religious practice spreads to people who were previously non-practising or practised a more moderate form of religion. Exempting such ideas from criticism in the name of not 'punching down' can mean looking the other way and finding excuses while the practitioners punch others, sometimes literally.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

No-one is talking about exempting ideas from criticism. I'll leave answering your arguments to the strawman you're clearly addressing.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the thread where the phrase was first used was about criticising ideas. The way the phrase was being used looked like saying it's OK for a relatively powerless group to criticise the ideas of more powerful, but it's not OK to do that in reverse.

The whole point of the original discussion was whether it's OK for the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo to criticise the ideas of Islamic State or not. It's all been about criticism of ideas. With a dash of whether Charlie Hebdo represents a more powerful group than IS or not.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

Nobody I could see was claiming that criticising IS was a problem. The objection was to the broad stroke mockery of Muslims and gratuitous violation of the taboo on depicting the prophet Mohammed. It's like attacking Israeli actions by making fun of side locks and yamulkas and flying a helicopter over temple mount so you go through the holy of holies.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I nearly joined in the debate on this thread but Louise has nailed it so why should I bother? I'm off to buy some crap on Ebay.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I nearly joined in the debate on this thread but Louise has nailed it so why should I bother?

I'm glad I didn't say anything. Boogie's puppies distracted me from making a fool of myself.
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
No-one is talking about exempting ideas from criticism. I'll leave answering your arguments to the strawman you're clearly addressing.

...It's like attacking Israeli actions by making fun of side locks and yamulkas and flying a helicopter over temple mount so you go through the holy of holies.

The entire point of spreading the concept is to get people to stop and then to self-censor criticism when those holding the ideas/beliefs criticised are deemed to be lower down the punching hierarchy. And if you weren't playing at this, you wouldn't have felt the need to pinpoint where they were on the 'punching' hierarchy as 'white middle class secularists' to show how wrong they were to criticise as they did (funny how sub-editor Mustapha Ourrad who was killed and journalist Zineb El Rhazoui who missed the meeting get missed out - but then they muck up the lovely punching hierarchy a bit.)

And here we go with slandering murdered anti-racist campaigners as racists equivalent to anti-semites... It’s laying it on thick to accuse a magazine which satirised people who called for the murder of Danish cartoonists of "blanket-attacking Islam" as you did in Purgatory. If people don't believe that others should be killed for drawing cartoons of religious figures - then it's far from gratuitous to draw a cartoon to make the point that killing in the name of a taboo about a religious depiction is wrong and that they think that’s ridiculous. I looked at a lot of their covers and far from seeing 'blanket attacks' on Islam no better than racist antisemitism (which is what you're implying with your comparisons) I saw things like their cover of a gay kiss between one of the cartoonists and a muslim man with the caption '“Love is stronger than hate.” Cheeky, yes. Neo-Nazi/Anti-semite level racism, no.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I thought the thread where the phrase was first used was about criticising ideas. The way the phrase was being used looked like saying it's OK for a relatively powerless group to criticise the ideas of more powerful, but it's not OK to do that in reverse.

The whole point of the original discussion was whether it's OK for the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo to criticise the ideas of Islamic State or not. It's all been about criticism of ideas. With a dash of whether Charlie Hebdo represents a more powerful group than IS or not.

I went back and the first use was talking about the definition I give with the use Louise gives.
The discussion that followed began as to which direction CH were punching and why. The discussion turned south when BA accused me of determining the direction of the punch based upon what I liked, not the criteria of the definition I accept. And then his saying the basic meaning of the definition was the use Louise has encountered.

Louise: I do not disagree with your last post.
quote:
but if the religion encodes* oppressive practices of its own, then even if it is practised by a relatively underprivileged group, it may need to be resisted or critiqued.
But this bit makes me nervous. It is not the encoding, but strictly the practice, IMO. But the bit I made bold appears to lean towards condemning of a religion entire. Not accusing you of this, but this is how it appears.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Lil Buddha, I don't think there's anything I disagree with you on so much in that last post as I'd feel inclined to argue in Hell.
cheers,
L

{ahhh and I cross posted with you! - going to read what is now your last post!]

[ 15. July 2015, 00:38: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
But this bit makes me nervous. It is not the encoding, but strictly the practice, IMO. But the bit I made bold appears to lean towards condemning of a religion entire. Not accusing you of this, but this is how it appears.
I dunno - there were religions like Mormonism which at one time held explicitly racist beliefs against black people. they changed that in relatively recent historical times. I would probably argue with that as a concept were it still in force. And I wouldn't be sure how it was not being practiced or having an effect, if it was regularly preached - but this is probably a quibble.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
I dunno - there were religions like Mormonism which at one time held explicitly racist beliefs against black people. they changed that in relatively recent historical times. I would probably argue with that as a concept were it still in force. And I wouldn't be sure how it was not being practiced or having an effect, if it was regularly preached - but this is probably a quibble.
Joseph Smith doesn't appear to have been racist. There were black priests. Brigham Young changed this and they stayed organisationally racist until the 1970's. But they are a very, erm, practical religion. Most of the 5% of Mormons who are black live in Africa, Brazil and the Caribbean.
In my admittedly limited experience, I would say that Mormons tend to be ~ as racist as their surroundings.
And it just might be fair to say I am a bit sensitive to racism.

I tend to the philosophy that it is not religion, but the nature of humans, which fucks up our world. And I think I have ample evidence to back this claim.

[ 15. July 2015, 01:06: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I tend to the philosophy that it is not religion, but the nature of humans, which fucks up our world. And I think I have ample evidence to back this claim.

Well indeed, if the atheist state of the USSR and their atrocities were anything to go by.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:

Well indeed, if the atheist state of the USSR and their atrocities were anything to go by.
That and every religion or philosophy which has had power. Nothing is proof against it so far.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:

That and every religion or philosophy which has had power. Nothing is proof against it so far.
I agree with you so you might want to go and change your mind.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No need, Mere Nick. I only disagree with you when you are wrong.
That is why agreeing with me feels so unfamiliar to you.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Religions held by relatively underprivileged people can, for example, codify a subordinate status for women, other religious groups, people of different castes or sexual orientations, or allow vigilanteism/physical punishment against people who transgress purity codes/commit heresy/apostasy/blasphemy/idolatry, or can allow for people to be murdered on the grounds of false beliefs about witchcraft. Once critiques of such practices are delegitimised on grounds of 'privilege' their victims can get deprived of the help, shelter and protection of those powerful enough to stop their persecutors.

It's true. Yet at the same time, it's astonishing how many people who have previously denied that sexism is a problem, that there is systematic violence against women, etc, suddenly become loud and vocal converts to the cause once religious and racial minorities are the perpetrators (although not to the point of wanting the government to provide help, shelter or protection beyond police harassment and immigration control).

The reality of the matter is that in a society in which it is widely believed that most religious minorities are violent bigots it takes care and consideration to target only the violent bigots and not catch the socially integrated members as well.

(No comment on the rights and wrongs of specific cases intended.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No need, Mere Nick. I only disagree with you when you are wrong.
That is why agreeing with me feels so unfamiliar to you.

No, you only disagree when you're wrong, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016