homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dogs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dogs
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats have had their own thread for long enough - now it's time for the dogs!

I have Tatze, a two year old black Lab. Her name means 'paw' in German, she was named by my eldest son who lives in Heidelberg.

Gypsy (12 month old Guide Dog puppy) went to Big School on the 8th June and is doing well. I miss her every day.

We are about to welcome Twiglet - a seven week old Guide Dog puppy (yellow Lab x Golden Retriever). She arrives on Tuesday!

I have never been without a dog. The first dog who was all mine was Boogie (who I name myself after) a heinz 57 boy who lived a happy, healthy 19 years.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogs are the most wonderful creatures in the world. I don't know what I'd do without my sweet companion, and I literally give thanks for her every day. I've been away from home for just over a week now and can't wait to see my little friend tomorrow.
[Axe murder]

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Twiglet!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zac: an elderly (c14yrs) lurcher (collie/whippet cross) of much charm and periodic but comic (because utterly and transparently ineffective) attepts at deviousness. A great favourite with the vicar, he often accompanies me when I'm doing churchwardeny things around the church.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our mutt Gladys (Rhodesian Ridgeback Boxer mix, seventy pounds of pure muscle, tongue, and enthusiasm) has been working with a trainer for a few months now. She was fantastic with other dogs until she turned two, and now she is a bit more standoffish, and we were all getting sick of being jumped on when we came home. We're making strides, but it's slow work. First step: no more food bowl. Every scrap of food has to be earned, or if we have too much to do and can't work on training, worked out of a food distribution toy. We do a lot of impulse control (food on the floor but she can't have it until we say so, etc.) and working on rewarding relaxed behaviors. It's a lot of work, and as I said it is going gradually, but we are seeing small improvements every day. We'll get there, and someday she's going to be that perfect smelly old dog who just lies around all the time.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend is home, God is in His Heaven, and all is right with the world.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a 1 year old terrier, and a very fluffy 12 week old pup. I was never a dog person at all, but Mr B was, so we got our first puppy when Op 1 was 18 months old. He was a beautiful alsatian/collie cross, perfect temperament, and gradually worked his way into my hard cold heart over the years. Sadly, just over a year ago we discovered he was very ill and had to be put to sleep - utterly heartbreaking. Since we'd been planning on getting a second, smaller dog, we got the little terrier just 6 weeks later, and he's a delight! The new monster is still at the very monstrous stage, but I'm sure will blossom in time...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gibson, two year old Bernese Mountain Dog who's basically lovely but obsessed with other dogs, and a wee bit anxious-but-excited with people which can lead to some bad PR but no actual danger.

Being a modern dog he's on Twitter and also has a blog (see sig) although he hasn't had much time for blogging recently.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
My best friend is home, God is in His Heaven, and all is right with the world.

Hurrah!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
...He was a beautiful alsatian/collie cross...

I had one of those - he was gorgeous but almost completely brain dead - I don't think I've ever known a sillier, stupider dog - but he was lovely!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours had a kind of criminal intelligence. He knew exactly what he wasn't allowed to do (like going upstairs), and worked out that he could get away with it if no-one was around. Until the day he'd not realised I was upstairs while everyone else had gone out. The look on his face as I caught him in the act was priceless, and to my knowledge he never tried it again!

But what a dog he was. For all his size, he was a bit of a wuss. Didn't like walking where there were too many nettles, scared of thunder... Unlike the two current ones who will walk anywhere (or at least Terrier-ist will; Fluffs looks set to be the same as soon as she's allowed), and couldn't care less about the sky rumbling.

--------------------

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly has been with us about 3 months now. Mom was a fox terrier and dad was no doubt passing through town. We are guessing he might have been shepherd. Molly is a rescue and the vet thinks she is about 4.

One strange thing she does is that after she has eaten she wants to jump in my lap and lay her head on my arm for a few minutes. Not at all sure what that is all about.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I currently have three dogs - all rescue dogs, and an eccentric mob they are, too, with their own internet aliases. In order of acquisition:
The Doglet, Slayer of Lambies! She is a fox terrier chihuahua cross who was dumped at our school. She was terribly frightened when I got her, but has turned into a very cheeky and quite sweet dog, who is remarkably protective.

The Fluffy Handbag is an extremely elderly Maltese terrier. She is deaf, has dementia (possible anorexia) and incontinent, but is the most beautiful little dog with the most amazing facial expressions. She loves to dance arthritically by the light of the moon, And thinks the front yard is some sort of doggy Shangri La.

Finally, the Wombat Dog is an Australian silky terrier, practically blind and almost deaf, although only about 9 years old. He was starved, so is pathological about food, but is lovely. He likes to pretend he is a cushion or a pillow when it is time to go outside in the cold by hiding under them and pretending he can't hear me.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a dog. I love most dogs who come up to me and demand attention.

But if you had told me 9 years ago that I would adore a white toy poodle (those are generally little yappers), I hadn't yet met Danny, who is the sweetest tempered lovely little lapsitter I've ever met. He has an owner, now in a care home, who pays all fees and costs for him, but he lives with an active ninety year old lady.

Concurrent with Danny, I met Luna, a basset hound, the same day her owners came home with her (Her belly was still marked with details of her kennel). She turned quite opinionated, hated snow, and for the first two years had to be ferried over it to do her duties. I was pleased to be the first to train her to bark. Until then, her owners thought she might be mute. The deep rumbling that came out startled her, but she found it was a useful function. [Biased]

I could go on, and on, and on. Cats are spawn of Satan, but I love dogs of all sorts.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't have a dog but Middle son's partner has always had one and her latest is a mostly Saluki. Just three months and, praise be, bone idle. He spends some time eating, likes a run in the park (though not to excess) but mostly he's into sleeping or at any rate, resting. Almost a canine cat.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Cats are spawn of Satan, but I love dogs of all sorts.

[Overused]

--------------------
~Tortuf

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are down to one dog and one cat. Used to have two of each, and before that two other cats and two other dogs, and before that.... have had both all my life.

I like dogs who respond to a 'verbal lead' (leash), meaning voice commands, foot taps, hand signals are enough to control behaviour and the lead is virtual not real. It pains me to see people with dogs who pull their arms when on walks.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some not-very-close-neighbour-boys have a large and silly dog that Pete and I used to meet on our morning walks - big and friendly and lollopy he used to want to jump up and say hello which I decided was not a desirable trait so trained him out of it quite quickly, he is obviously bright. The other night I went for a walk and met him wandering the lanes on his own and he rushed up wagging his tail and sat by my side! I was ridiculously gratified.

Strangely my collie x shepherd couldn't stand thunder either and bonfire night was nightmare every year until my vet friend suggested valium for him - worked a treat.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by no prophet ... :
quote:
I like dogs who respond to a 'verbal lead'
I like the idea of dogs like that, but around our way I can't conceive of ever having a dog so well trained I would be happy to rely on it for all walks. Far too many distractions in the form of other animals, traffic, people kids, sniffs, bicycles, scooters, bright colours etc. that could distract and lead to a sad end. Plus in our neck of the woods I believe it's technically illegal to walk a dog off-lead in a built-up area.

Gibson gets let off lead when in appropriate places (country walks and the like), although not as much as he could because his recall is still patchy, and non-existent if he sees another dog.

Agree 100% about not having tuggy dogs though, which he is now much, much better about (hard work getting there, with a stubborn breed bred for pulling carts).

Every time I see a little mutt straining away and the owner not caring because the dog's so small I want to say "Try that with ours ..." so they learn the value of loose lead training. Same with jumping up. Some terrier or cockapoo does it and it's "Aw, cute"; Gibson does it and it's "OMFG IT'S GOING TO KILL ME!". Noodle heads.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

I so agree! Old Dog had a halti collar for most of his life, as when he was a puppy I was in no state to do loose lead training (given that every time I walked him I had a toddler in a buggy, and later a baby as well), and Mr B was too busy - not to mention that he walked so much better for Mr B so he didn't understand the problem that I complained about! As he matured, he walked much better, but the halti was habit by then so we stuck with it even though it wasn't really necessary.

I'm determined not to make the same mistake with Terrier-ist and Fluffball. Terrier-ist can now walk pretty nicely as long as there isn't anything too exciting going on. Fluffball will be taught to behave too. And no, jumping up on people is absolutely not allowed, regardless of dog size. I don't like dogs jumping up at me, so will not inflict it on anyone else!

--------------------

toujours gai!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Twiglet is eight weeks old now and LOVES her food. I can call her from anywhere and she comes running.

Tatze is so very gentle with her, I have put a video of them playing on her blog.

Yesterday's toilet training was a nightmare! It rained all day and she hates weeing on the wet ground. So, knowing she needed to go, I'd take her out - wait a few minutes with her in the spending pen while she shivered and looked miserable. Came in - instant wee on the floor! Today we have had success every time - I think we need a gazebo [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you need a blog, Boogie.

I was hoping we could avoid descriptions of dog toilet training. That sort of thing will get this thread closed.

Thanks,

Ariel

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I think you need a blog, Boogie.

I was hoping we could avoid descriptions of dog toilet training. That sort of thing will get this thread closed.

Thanks,

Ariel

Ooops, sorry [Hot and Hormonal] - and there is a link to her blog in my sig.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now have a two year old! Her birthday was yesterday. Bring on the labrador side of her brain, I say. It has been crazy border collie busyness up to now. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

You're expecting young lab to be less mad than collie??? [Ultra confused]

I'm still at the stage of falling in love with my little(!) fluffball every single time I see her. [Axe murder] Keeshond love should be available on the NHS. [Razz]

--------------------

toujours gai!

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, those are the only two choices I have! Most everyone I have talked to says that the labrador side should mellow her a bit. Will keep you posted. She has energy to burn.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a much loved Kelpie aged 17 who is sadly near the end of his days. He used to love to go and help round up sheep, but these days most of his time is spent sleeping and dreaming. I guess his time is running out as he is quite arthritic and is stuggling in the very cold Winter weather we are experiencing. It will break my heart to say goodbye to Toby.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Well, those are the only two choices I have! Most everyone I have talked to says that the labrador side should mellow her a bit. Will keep you posted. She has energy to burn.

Labs are complete nut cases until about four years old - adorable nut cuses 'tho [Smile]

Tatze has just done a wall-of-death bum tuck round the garden and house with puppy trying to keep up!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Snags
# 15351

quote:
Keeshond love should be available on the NHS

Ha! You're lost forever! My folks had Keeshonds all my life, and they are super, if a tad piercing in the bark department.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Keeshond love should be available on the NHS.

I had to look this up to discover that this doesn't translate as Cheesehound. And was formerly known as the Dutch Barge Dog.

The things you learn from the Ship...

Snags
# 15351

Yeah, Dutch Barge Dogs because they'll barge anything out of the way for food, greedy blighters [Biased]

Shameful true confession: being born as "little brother" to a Keeshond, it was a long, long time before I realised that Dutch Barge Dog meant they were used as ratters and guard dogs on the barges, not that teams of them pulled the barges down tow-paths like huskies sledding. I still prefer my childhood misunderstanding, though.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
quote:
Keeshond love should be available on the NHS

Ha! You're lost forever! My folks had Keeshonds all my life, and they are super, if a tad piercing in the bark department.
I am so lost. We fell in love with them a year ago when we first saw them, and the Ops & I have wanted one ever since. I know I shouldn't admit favouritism, and I really do love Terrier-ist, but Fluffball put her paw prints all over my heart the moment we got her and she's definitely my special pup!

--------------------

toujours gai!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Here is Twiglet posing with Tatze, I am so pleased they get on really well. Puppy walking is a much easier occupation with an older dog to take on baby sitting duties! Tatze is two years old now and seems to really enjoy her role in life.

When I first started puppy walking my supervisor let me know the rules and one is 'no balls'. I told her I had never been able to get Tatze interested in playing with a ball. My supervisor said 'she knew her destiny' [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dog that I rescued from the street. She's definitely of mixed race. My vet says there's something of a Dalmatian in her, but he's just pulling my leg.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 4 year old Wheaten Cairn terrier who I take with me to church and leave in the choir vestry when Im serving or churchwarden-ing ( Im usually serving) . I also take him with me to PCC meetings. There is a Vicar in the diocese who takes his dog everywhere with him including to services. The dog has a bed in his stall and processes in with him then settles down on his bed for the duration! I used to take my previousRed Brindle Cairn Terrier ( though not as frequently as I do my current one as he wasn't a "people" dog. He lived to the age of 17 an had gone deaf and blind and senile when I had to make the "decision" which was the hardest thing Ive ever had to do in my life. I owe him a lot as he was with me through the loss of my partner and he kept me going when everything seemed bleak. I don't know what I would have done without him. I also had cats till recently but am now without one for the first time in 30 years. With financial considerations as they are ( Plus the fact my current dog is a chaser) I won't be getting another one in the near future.

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016