homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rooftoop Tours Cathedrals

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Rooftoop Tours Cathedrals
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone done one of these? What was it like? So far as I know we do not have them here in the US.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its some years since I was in the Cathedral at Tours, and that was mainly to do with the organ which is a rare example of a 17th century instrument. Not sure about a roof-top tour but I seem to recall going up to the Triforium.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean rooftop tours of various cathedrals, or the rooftop of Tours Cathedral?
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you mean "rooftop tours of various cathedrals", my recollection is that you can do one at St Stefan's Vienna - you can certainly climb the tower.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember climbing up inside the dome of St peter's in Rome and coming out very near the top- the view over the city was spectacular- and it took us about half an hour to walk round and round to get to the top!

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rooftop tours of Winchester and Salisbury Cathedrals are lovely - great views inside from above, plus views over the cities.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it Salisbury that still has the medieval crane in the spire?

The only one I've done is St Magnus in Kirkwall which, I'm sure piglet will confirm, is pretty vertiginous - especially at the crossing, where apparently the maintenance man used to just bung a ladder across and climb out to change lightbulbs!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wells is spectacular.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went up the tower at Ely recently, which was fantastic on a sunny day, with wonderful views, and structurally very interesting.
Went into and then onto the roof of the chapel at Eton years ago. Mostly striking views there too- the College laid out beneath you, Windsor Castle, the Thames, planes coming and going at Heathrow- and then a huge dark grey smudge. That was Slough.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish when I had been in Britain I had had the time to do all this! Clearly cathedral tours are an entirely separate obsession.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Isn't it Salisbury that still has the medieval crane in the spire?

Well for those into such things, the crane from Chesterfield Parish Church* is in the local museum and art gallery.

Jengie

*that of the crooked spire fame.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can remember as a boy going up (certainly) York, Durham and Salisbury. IIRC once you started to go up the spire, Salisbury has a series of ladders leading from one stage to the next. As you go higher, the view from near the top of each ladder is of an increasingly long drop below. Google finds lots of images.

As an adult I clearly remember being led, in Durham cathedral, between the roof and the stone ceiling of the nave to a wall with a low door. The door opened towards me revealing a narrow walkway around the inside of the tower above the crossing, with a below knee-height protective wall [Eek!] Opposite was another similar low door leading into the ceiling void above the choir and sanctuary. You can see it here if you look above the curve of the arch inside the tower.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a cathedral, but I've stood on the ridge-pole of the chapel at King's College, Cambridge; when the Cathedral Organists' Association had a conference there, the wives were taken up to the roof while the chaps had their meeting. Scary, but worth it for the view.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently it was unofficially done at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, if you knew the right person...but that's been stopped for safety and liability reasons. They do have behind-the-scenes tours that IIRC take people (who can climb all the flights of stairs) up to the bell tower and a little bit through the catwalks. Just not out around the roof.

That was over a year ago, so I don't know if they're still doing it. Since you did have to pay for it, I doubt they would've stopped it, though.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done one at Lincoln and a long time ago at Durham when I was a student there.

Both were absolutely amazing. It's quite nerve wracking to walk along the narrow wooden walkway above the nave and know that below you is stone, plaster and a good clear drop.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It certainly gives you huge respect for the builders. Now there were blokes with cast-iron sphincters!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done Chichester Cathedral and I found it fascinating and also strangely moving- the love as well as the craftsmanship were almost tangible.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016