homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What's your cooking style? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What's your cooking style?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's your cooking style?

Intermittent, frequent, non-existent?

Calm, organized, frantic, improvisational, sweary, incapable of following a recipe exactly, always follow them to the letter, or don't bother with recipe books at all?

Have a favourite cooking apron/utensil/ingredient you wouldn't be without?

Have a thing for a particular culinary tradition, e.g. make a lot of curries, cook Italian a lot?

[ 26. July 2015, 12:57: Message edited by: Ariel ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what my cooking style is, but I can tell you that the kitchen is a complete mess afterwards.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian-Indian fusion, I think. Wouldn't live without fresh-ground chilies or fresh whole. Kitchen is always a mess after. But I clear up sharpish. I am still well-trained by my mother.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine is mostly Mediterranean/Middle Eastern, when I can be bothered to cook, which mostly I don't these days. There are times when it all gets a bit salty with some spicy words, but that's part of cooking chez moi.

I usually forget to wear an apron, never follow a recipe exactly, and would be lost without my favourite serrated knife, which does just about everything.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost no prepared foods. I grew up in a family where it all came from tin cans or was just add water. I learned to make bread about 30 years ago, and generally make 3-6 loaves a week, depending on how many of us there are. Pitas too.

For cooking, it depends on what there is and expense. I like the term 'flexatarian' which I may use wrongly, but I take to mean mostly not fussy but in a vegetable direction. Lots of pulses here, meaning lentils of many varieties and other bean like things. They are local.

We are into hot and dry right now, so cooking outside, barbequing everything to avoid heating the house up. In the kitchen I think it could only be described as fused from everything. With a tendancy toward more mixed and picante spices. Tacos with curried barbequed veg was yesterday. Barbequed perogis the day before. Chocolate zuchinni cake.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do follow recipes. I like looking up recipes on vegetarian websites, and trying to get all the ingredients is part of the fun. I never measure quantities though, I just put all the ingredients in 'by eye' until they seem the right amount to me.

I never use industrialised sauces etc.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I wonder what happens if I add this?"

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mainly leave things down to my son, who is an amazing cook, just acting as cleaner after he's finished. When I do cook it is mainly Itaian influenced, but siad son usually comes along and adds more pepper or extra oregano. My signature dish is risotto.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ricardus: "I wonder what happens if I add this?"
Kaboom!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recipes? What are those?

I have been throwing things into saucepans since we used, as teenagers, to try and replicate the one exotic cuisine we had encountered - ending up with a sort of rice/mince fry-up we described as 'Chinese myeh'. Then we discovered curry powder and turned mother's frying pan yellow with late night experiments. Student days were dominated by spag bol and things concocted from lentils, baked beans, breadcrumbs and marmite. My main cookbook - though I didn't appreciate it at the time - was written by the likes of Jane Grigson and Robert Carrier; a repository of classic Anglo-French fine dining.

And do it has gone on: a combination of dishes way beyond my pay grade interspersed with ethnic binges (especially Indian) and wild experimentation.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the last couple of years, ours has been distinctly Madhur Jaffrey oriented (including tonight, when we did exciting things with a piece of huss).

I blame Wodders and, I think, Firenze. Especially for the turmeric stains!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally avidly reading cookbooks and cooking blogs and then failing to cook any recipes from any of them but rather looking at what's in the fridge/cupboard and making something up.

Obviously the 'making up' has been informed by both the reading and the food I've eaten elsewhere in my life, so I'll generally have some kind of idea of the theme I'm heading towards, generally differentiated by the herbs/spices/sauces I choose.

I would like to cook more recipes from the books/blogs but somehow rarely manage to get organised enough to plan and shop.

Mainly cook from scratch, though I confess to being rather fond of baked beans on toast.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to fix what my family likes--which is an eclectic mix of tacos, egg rolls, various Asian soups, pizza, stir fry, BLTs, spaghetti, and pasties. Yeah, we shop at the international market. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bearing in mind that I haven't really been allowed to cook much for the last 17 or 18 years but my staple when I lived in UK was sort of generic Indian which, at the time, was mostly Punjabi style as that was what I was used to. I also cooked a fair amount of Italian influenced stuff. During the week it was variations on a theme of an onion, some garlic paste, a couple of briquettes of frozen chopped spinach and a few mushrooms with added spices and/or herbs then either vermicelli or rice or pitta bread - weekdays were often sort of dash-in-from-work-cook-shower-change-go-out-to-evening-meeting so time was at a premium - weekends could be anything but my weekend breakfast one of the days was often a humungous and very veggie-British fry-up.

Most meals involved mushrooms in one way or another.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Dutch cuisine isn't very special, but I realise that I still cook Dutch food relatively often. Three times last week only.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cooking seems to be all over the place. Just a few days ago, I made a big pot of seafood gumbo. (Oh, yum! Spicy!) Roasted veg is a frequent winter treat, and my version of spag bol. And I do make the very best french onion soup ever! Oh, and yummy mac and cheese.

When I make a new recipe, I will normally follow it to the letter, except for leaving out things that I can't eat. (Bay leaves give me a huge headache.) The next time I make the recipe, I start improvising. Eventually, if it's deemed worthy of a place in the lineup of recipes, it is prepared by my normal 'dump and pour' method of cooking.

The most grabbed utensil is a wooden spoon. I hear those snickers you're making!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where to begin?

D. does most of the cooking chez Piglet, as he's a free agent during the morning when I'm at w*rk; he has a few signature dishes (notably chicken casserole, The Sausage Thing and the best shepherd's pie ever).

I tend to do most of my cooking at weekends (although if the mood's on me, I'll put something together in the evening for next day).

Sweary? Abso-****-lutely! [Devil]

Messy? Not really - I do the clearing-up and load the dishwasher, so I tend to be quite economical in my use of pots and pans.

I do possess a favourite apron (I got it from my m-in-l, and it's got pictures of notable places in Colchester on it) but it only comes out for serving morning coffee at the Cathedral sale.

Styles and signature dishes: I suppose my "signature dish" is Piglet's Pancetta Pasta, but I have a few others: paella, chilli con carne, chicken-and-tomato pasta, macaroni cheese with Things In It and a few varieties of soup (usually chicken-and-veggie, as that's D's favourite).

I like making things that are more usually bought ready-made: chicken stock, jars of red-pepper jelly, home-made pâté and French bread.

Ingredients I couldn't do without: garlic

Implements I couldn't do without: enamel shallow Dutch oven; bread-making machine; food-processor; ceramic knives; and the wooden spatula that I think may have been D's before I was. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cooking is one of my favourite things, I love the whole caboodle; looking for recipes, choosing a theme, buying ingredients, experimenting, presentation, the lot. I'm lucky in that I work flexibly from home so have time to spend on cooking. I cook for the family most days and have a special feast at least once a week, usually on Friday. On this day I will chose a style or country and cook a huge meal with homemade breads, relishes, side dishes and dessert. My favourites are Indian, Asian or Arabic; I like interesting combinations of flavours and spice but not too hot. I like to experiment and look at recipes for inspiration but seldom stick to them and can improvise well. My essentials are garlic and lemon juice.
I am an organised tidy cook, which is why I can't bear cooking with my husband, who is a very disorganised person.
Couldn't live without my Kenwood, but I'm fond of my breadmaker (for mixing dough) and the slow cooker.

[ 27. July 2015, 14:48: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cooking is rather English.

My main (slightly unusual) feature is that I do all the preparations before I start cooking. In other words, anything that will be chopped, deseeded, topped-and-tailed, etc. has to be done before the gas gets turned on. I hate the panic of starting cooking and then starting on part of the prep.

That way, my cooking is ordered and calm, even if it means that overall, it takes a little longer than it might.

I'm frequently frustrated by the number of recipes that look good, but then at the last minute they're ruined because they add such abominations as cheese, nuts or mushrooms. Such things have no place anywhere near food.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... they're ruined because they add such abominations as cheese, nuts or mushrooms ...

While I'm happy to concede that (on this side of the Pond anyway) far too many chefs and cookery writers seem to think that no dish is complete until it's had a mass of flavourless cheese melted over it, we'll have to agree to differ about nuts. Piglet's Pancetta Pasta just wouldn't be the same without a handful of toasted nibbed almonds shaken over the top.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I'm frequently frustrated by the number of recipes that look good, but then at the last minute they're ruined because they add such abominations as cheese, nuts or mushrooms. Such things have no place anywhere near food.

Ah, the pleasure of a Dutch-style bacon, cheese and mushroom pancake (with golden syrup) has passed you by, and many an Eastern dish with added nuts along with it...

Chicken with cashew nuts; lamb with pine nuts; roast almond duck; prawns with coconut sauce; beef satay; pork and peanut curry; closer to home, trout with flaked almonds; date and walnut cake, pecan pie, brazil nut cookies, hazelnut and chocolate cake, roast chestnuts, pistachio ice cream...

Ah well. Back to the thread.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm sorry, but you'll never be able to match the pancakes made by my (Dutch) mother [Big Grin]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Find a recipe which looks good and tweak it. So I make a rather nice cassoulet type sausage casserole which came from the website of a rather expensive supermarket and now gets made using things from a rather cheaper supermarket, altering the amounts of spices - the recipe for Grasmere gingerbread gets made with double the amount of ginger - a certain amount of "about this much" rather than exact weights, although Darllenwr does most of the cooking these days.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy cooking and I am always reading cook books for new ideas. I seem to go in cycles. Southern, Turkish, Sea food, Soups, Salads, Italian and Asian, I would say Mexican shows up on the table at least once a week as does pork a family favorite.

I am home most days so that is a joy as far as cooking goes. Gone are the days when it was hurry home from work and get something on the table in an hour. Now I can spend hours if need be on a dish.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cooking style: lobbit

And I wouldn't be without my slow cooker - works a treat with almost any lobbit you can imagine..... (though the combination of pork with English mustard and green chilli was inedible. I'd forgotten I'd put the one in when I added the other: bad mistake!)

I cook because I have to, not because I especially enjoy it. Baking, on the other hand, is a entirely different thing and I love it. I make a mean lemon drizzle and equally mean coffee & walnut sponge. (Mmmm, nom...)

[ 27. July 2015, 21:29: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a one-pot cook.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum follows recipes to the letter and it drives me mad - we have several cookbooks published by a supermarket chain and she will go as far as sticking to the brands recommended [brick wall]

Unless I'm baking (which I rarely do) or trying to follow a specific recipe for authenticity's sake, I'm very much a one-pot, throw-it-all-in cook. Lots of curries, tagines and casseroles. If I want something quick it tends to be egg-based, or a homemade soup.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care enough about food to cook well, my style is 'slap dash' and it shows!

My husband does all the cooking as he's a raving foody. He likes nothing better than throwing a big dinner party so that his food can be enjoyed and appreciated (I am a poor audience when it comes to all things food). All is cooking is from raw ingredients, no bought sauces of any kind, all are home made.

He was playing in a concert the other day and only had time to do chicken wraps - he wasn't happy! When he's away I live on egg and chips or baked potatoes!

My brother lives with us three days a week and OH spends ages looking out good veggie meals. When he's away it's down to me - erk! Last time I really really tried hard and made a veggie 'chicken' quorn and mushroon pie - it was excellent! (but, even so, the effort was not worth the taste, my enthusiasm for cooking was not awakened!

[ 28. July 2015, 07:55: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our style, if it warrants that description, is based around the Mediterranean Sea - mostly French, some Italian, some Greek but more generally and vaguely the Levant, and then back to North West Africa. But quite a bit of my contribution, especially if I'm cooking mid-week and it's warmer weather than now, will be centred on the barbecue (US outdoor grill). While we do buy in spice mixes and sauces, especially for Indian food, most of the shopping is for fresh food. No meat or vegetables from the supermarket unless absolutely necessary.

Our cookery bibles are Beck, Bertholle and Child (both volumes) and anything by Elizabeth David. These are streets ahead of anything by modern celebrity chefs. Mastering the Art gives fantastic instruction in technique, a solid base of core recipes, and excursions into more unusual territory. Mrs David's works are great recipes and great reading; not anywhere near as precise as Mastering the Art, but to be used as a guide to what can be done. Always remembering that the local ingredients are not those of the originals, even something as basic as a potato is different here to what you buy in a small Provençal town.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... When he's away I live on egg and chips or baked potatoes ...

There's nothing wrong with a baked potato once in a while; we have them for lunch probably about once a month, and no culinary skill is needed at all.

Add an industrial quantity of butter, salt and freshly-ground pepper (or soured cream or grated cheese if you like) and you've got a dish fit for a king.

--------------------

PilgrimVagrant
Shipmate
# 18442

- Posted      Profile for PilgrimVagrant   Email PilgrimVagrant   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as I'm on benefits, my own cooking style might best be described as 'economic'. Staples like rice, potatoes, pasta (and, occasionally, cous-cous) feature heavily. So do onions. After that, it tends to be tins - tins of tomatoes, beans, vegetables, and such stuff. I buy meat once a month, either fresh or frozen, to last the month. So that's minced meat, sausages, cooking bacon, maybe chicken portions, maybe offal like liver, kidneys, hearts. And I buy herbs and spices. And I find out of these, I can cook up some good, healthy nutritious stuff.

Cheers, PV.

--------------------
Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Posts: 210 | From: In Contemplation | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PilgrimVagrant:
Seeing as I'm on benefits, my own cooking style might best be described as 'economic'. Staples like rice, potatoes, pasta (and, occasionally, cous-cous) feature heavily. So do onions. After that, it tends to be tins - tins of tomatoes, beans, vegetables, and such stuff. I buy meat once a month, either fresh or frozen, to last the month. So that's minced meat, sausages, cooking bacon, maybe chicken portions, maybe offal like liver, kidneys, hearts. And I buy herbs and spices. And I find out of these, I can cook up some good, healthy nutritious stuff.

Cheers, PV.

Pork or ox cheeks are cheap and though officially classed as offal, are really just like normal meat.

Do you know of Jack Monroe and her recipes?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cooking style? Perhaps best summed up as 'Oh God, is it dinnertime already? What's in the cupboard?'
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people cook fusion, my style is more confusion [Biased]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Things-on-toast tend to be my standby a lot of times. There are so many delicious cheeses you can have and sliced meats and relishes as a change from beans/mushrooms/pate on toast, hot bacon sandwiches or tinned fish in sauce on toast. One of my favourite things-on-toast is chicken with lemon juice, chopped coriander and garlic mayonnaise if I have any. Ham, cheese and sundried tomatoes are another good thing, just add black olives for that Mediterranean touch.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Things-on-toast tend to be my standby a lot of times.
I quite enjoy cooking if I have time, but usually can't be bothered if it's just me. So if Mrs. C and the kids are away, I will imagine cooking myself something nice (probably something spicier than they would eat), but in practice end up eating bread and cheese when I notice that it's late at night and I haven't eaten yet.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Things-on-toast tend to be my standby a lot of times. There are so many delicious cheeses you can have and sliced meats and relishes as a change from beans/mushrooms/pate on toast, hot bacon sandwiches or tinned fish in sauce on toast. One of my favourite things-on-toast is chicken with lemon juice, chopped coriander and garlic mayonnaise if I have any. Ham, cheese and sundried tomatoes are another good thing, just add black olives for that Mediterranean touch.
Pate on toast was somewhat weirdly one of my favourites as a child. Need to reacquaint myself with it this weekend I think! The toast needs to be hot enough for any jelly to melt.

Aldi/Lidl/Polish shops do very good tinned salmon and other oily fish in sauces. Hmm, I can forsee a lot of things-on-toast in my near future....

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly vegetarian, but often jazzed up with bacon bits, or chorizo. Preferably one-pot meals.
Seasonal - by which I mean using up anything there's a glut of in the garden. Have just started the courgette glut, and it will soon be "green beans with everything" season.
I usually make out a fortnightly menu to avoid serving up the same dish too frequently. There is a certain routine to the week's meals, as I have less time for preparation on some days. They tend to be pasta days, or sausages.
I roast a chicken about once a month, and use the leftovers to make us both at least one more main meal plus a lunchtime salad or sandwich. I'm a bit nervous about cooking fish, so we usually have the ready-prepared kind, tinned sardines or tuna, or smoked mackerel (We love Jack Monroe's smoked mackerel kedgeree). I do poach the occasional piece of salmon, or smoked haddock.
If Mr RoS isn't home for dinner, I am most likely to have toast or a sandwich. I will eat almost anything between a couple of slices of bread.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PilgrimVagrant
Shipmate
# 18442

- Posted      Profile for PilgrimVagrant   Email PilgrimVagrant   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:

Yes. I love her madly, and have her first book, 'A Girl called Jack'. My other favourite is Delia Smith's 'Frugal Food'.

Thanks, PV.

[ 29. July 2015, 07:11: Message edited by: PilgrimVagrant ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly I let my husband cook. He enjoys it more than me. When I do find myself in the kitchen, I have been trawling a lot of recipes recently to come up with new things. My favourite cookbook is Gary Rhodes – you can tell that the recipes were put together by a Michelin-starred chef, but he writes them so that they’re within the reach of the average person. I do rather enjoy making traditional English food, which is seen as exotic here [Big Grin] Things like toad in the hole and beef and ale pie, although they’re rather better for the winter…

OTOH, for a really special meal, my approach is Phone My Dad™. My Dad is an amazing cook, so for example when I found a rib of beef with 50% off (right up to the date), the first thing I did when I got home was pick up the phone. “Dad, I have a rib of beef, what do I do with it?”

For a few days next week, I shall be alone fending for myself. I am totally going to eat beans on toast.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PV, how do you feel about Indian? Back in my dole days, I was heavily into dhals and potato curry and chickpeas. There's a modest initial outlay in getting the basic spices - but cheaper in Asian supermarkets.

All indigenous cuisines are based on making a very little protein go a long way while still tasting good.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
[QUOTE]

I didn't - thanks for the link.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
PilgrimVagrant
Shipmate
# 18442

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
PV, how do you feel about Indian? Back in my dole days, I was heavily into dhals and potato curry and chickpeas. There's a modest initial outlay in getting the basic spices - but cheaper in Asian supermarkets.

All indigenous cuisines are based on making a very little protein go a long way while still tasting good.

Yes indeed. I love curries. Everything I cook tends to have at least some curry spice in, and mostly some chillies as well. My version of kedgeree, with tinned mackerel and some mussels, and a little soured cream and garam marsala stirred in, takes a lot of beating.

Thanks, PV.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
"I wonder what happens if I add this?"

Heh - that sounds like me. I don't follow recipes - I make meals from what I have in my fridge, which is whatever I found reduced in the supermarket. I add odd things together if I think they might make a good combination, and they generally do. I mostly make simple meals from scratch. I don't really have a style - I just put things in the oven or in a pan on the hob and they cook. I tend to eat my veg raw.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
OTOH, for a really special meal, my approach is Phone My Dad™. My Dad is an amazing cook, so for example when I found a rib of beef with 50% off (right up to the date), the first thing I did when I got home was pick up the phone. “Dad, I have a rib of beef, what do I do with it?”

Oh, now this is awesome.
[Big Grin]

I've tried to do that with my mother, but we generally get sidetracked into a discussion of why cut-of-meat X is not called the same thing in my state as in California.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Tinned fruit is good for making lazy tagine/fruity curry type dishes (I know fruity curries are not very authentic but I still like them!). Tinned sliced peaches shouldn't work in a chickpea tagine, but do.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... I am totally going to eat beans on toast.

What, all week????? Have you warned Monsieur en rouge? [Snigger]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cooking style is to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. But as we were all in serious need of some mid winter comfort food over the last few weeks, here was my solution, and, I may add that the recipe is now in some demand!

NANNA’S NO BAKE BOOZE BOMBS

3 cups stale crumbled chocolate or fruit cake.
2-3 tablespoons fortified wine or fruit liquer
(like sherry, port, tokay, cherry brandy, butterscotch schnapps etc)
1 -2 tablespoons raspberry or blackcurrant cordial (neat).
1 packet melted chocolate buttons.

Optional:
chopped raspberry marshmallows
chopped raspberry or strawberry cream lollies

Mix together. Press into balls, cupcake moulds or slice tray.
Refrigerate before serving.

For booze ball version:
Dust with icing sugar and/or sifted cocoa powder.

For spliced slice version: before refrigerating top with
1 cup choc hazelnut spread mixed with one small packet of cream cheese

For hic-cupcake version: serve on a plate with
Whipped cream and fresh red/black berries

[Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I quite possibly use much larger tablespoons than the average cook..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are just following Aussie tradition, BL. Aussie tablespoons are 20 ml, others are 15.

Perhaps it is a bit like my golden syrup measurements in my much loved golden syrup steamed pudding. I vaguely remember the recipe says something like two tablespoons golden syrup. I use at least six.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016