homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What's your cooking style? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What's your cooking style?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
My cooking style is to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. But as we were all in serious need of some mid winter comfort food over the last few weeks, here was my solution, and, I may add that the recipe is now in some demand!

Would you like to post that on the Recipe Thread, Banner Lady? It will then be preserved for posterity.

(Same for any other recipes people might want to contribute: this thread will probably drop out of sight after a while and go the way of all flesh, but the Recipe Thread endureth forever.)

[ 30. July 2015, 07:09: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a recipe thread? Good Lord - now there's a place I have obviously never been....I rest may case about spending as little time in the kitchen as possible. Recipe threads are for people who intend to follow recipes. That's me out, then...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't always need to follow them, BL - just use them as a starting point.

D. had some interesting results by starting to follow a recipe then discovering halfway through that we didn't have any [insert ingredient of choice] and used something else instead.

Sometimes the results were delicious, sometimes a bit less so ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PilgrimVagrant
Shipmate
# 18442

- Posted      Profile for PilgrimVagrant   Email PilgrimVagrant   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, just done a nice combination of cous-cous, cooking bacon, (you could use any pork, ideally smoked), whole green lentils, onions and spices. I won't post the recipe, since that would spoil your fun reinventing the dish. And, to be honest, I can't quite remember what I did in what order with how much of each. So, experiment. It works both hot and cold, as a side or a main.

Best wishes, PV.

--------------------
Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Posts: 210 | From: In Contemplation | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pretty much cook what I fancy based on what we have in the house. OK so I am a trained chef, but with a little knowledge it is not too difficult

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
"I wonder what happens if I add this?"

Today's interesting discovery: carbonara made with creamed coconut instead of cream tastes surprisingly nice.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This evening's dispiriting discovery: even when drenched in ginger, soy, mirin, honey and chili, turkey steaks still taste of nothing much.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
My mum follows recipes to the letter and it drives me mad - we have several cookbooks published by a supermarket chain and she will go as far as sticking to the brands recommended [brick wall]

Such a lovely lady, you're mum. I do the same but my recipes have lots of scratch outs where I've changed from 3/4 teaspoon baking powder to 1/2 in my search for perfection.

I cook almost every night, usually vegetarian or some sort of fish meal. My son is Veg and hubs and I eat enough massive burgers for lunch to want lighter dinners.

Practice has made most of my meals pretty good but you'll never be blown away with surprised delight over anything I cook.

I was living in England when I quit smoking and went from skinny to fat almost overnight. One of the first differences I noticed about living in the fat body was that people would look at me and say, "I'll bet you're a great cook!" I would say, "No, not really, but if you'd like to know where to find the Dime Bars in Tesco I can help you right out."

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DIL's mother is another who follows the recipe to the letter. She even went out one very hot day to walk to supermarket. Recipe said, "Serve with beans, " so beans it had to be, even though we had several green vegetables in fridge and lots of salad stuff. For a long time her daughter did the same, although we said a recipe was only someone's idea of what would work.

DIL has now been able to chop and change ingredients to suit what she had. She still has not reached what my son does. He puts things together knowing how they will suit. She admires this, but is a long way from it. I guess he gets it from me as his two brothers also cook this way. Something may be made from recipe the first time, but will never be done exactly like that again.

[ 04. August 2015, 23:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I start my cooking by buying what I see that is good value, in season and/or on the marked-down-to-be-sold-that-day counter. I don't usually get to the market any more and stopped having an organic box when it couldn't be delivered conveniently* which has removed some of the entertainment. Depending on the ingredients, cooking is either from the remembered collection of recipe adaptations or I start reading the cookery books for ideas for the mystery ingredient.

I had to change my normal cooking techniques to deal with reduced ingredients around my daughter's allergies; that limited my repertoire for ages and made cooking less interesting. I always used to go back to the recipe books to inspire me or discover different ideas, but these days it's only me most of the time.

Cooking for one and long hours commuting is another challenge. I find it easiest to cook over the weekend or the rare evenings I am home early enough, following recipes as normal for four, save one portion in the fridge for another evening during the week and to freeze two portions.

* I used to subscribe to the local organic farm box scheme, but as they got busy with the farm shop and other schemes such as school and hospital deliveries, they had a series of other people run the box scheme for them. The penultimate one decamped without paying the organic farm and with additional funds lifted from most of our accounts. He passed on the box scheme, and our bank account details, to another group without warning or permission and they changed the delivery times to seriously inconvenient and I believe the whole thing folded for a while. I and everyone I knew opted out and others went elsewhere.

Checking, it looks as if the organic farm have taken this back in house with options of lots of meat packs but only one vegetable, one salad and one fruit box aimed at four and without seasonality.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the follow the recipe or not topic: I always get a kick out of reading the online recipe reviews. They often go something like this:

***** Wonderful chicken casserole recipe! I didn't have any nutmeg so substituted cinnamon and added a cup of heavy cream to the sauce. I mixed in a can of peas, and made a top crust with breadcrumbs and butter, using pork instead of chicken. My family loved this!

The only time I get creative is during my annual, use-everything-up-and-clean the pantry thing. I've found that when you get down to three or four random items you can google them and find very interesting recipes.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before I went to uni I got some recipes from my mum. After giving them to me she would then say "well instead of x I use y, and for m I find n works better", until not one of the original ingredients remained. ..

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Before I went to uni I got some recipes from my mum. After giving them to me she would then say "well instead of x I use y, and for m I find n works better", until not one of the original ingredients remained. ..

I like her style. Some recipe writers really do not know their ingredients, nor how to write a recipe! And and I don't believe they have all been tried and tested before publication.

I am a "what can we make out of what's in the house and garden cook".
I'm also a know your physics, chemistry and properties of ingredients cook and a bit of an experimentalist. E.g If you're substituting macadamia oil for butter in a cake recipe (olive oil has too strong a taste) then use 70ml to replace 100gm of butter. What flavours are water soluble, oil soluble, alchohol soluble. Colloidal suspensions and protein denaturing are in my thoughts when cooking. (Souffle last night)

Started as a lad when my mother said that if I wanted biscuits for afternoon tea then I should cook them. Learning to cook the Sunday dinner was probably my start into project planning.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't do the utensil bit when I posted earlier - anyway I think it is the clay pots we use for certain dishes - dishes cooked in a terracotta pot have a distinctive flavour, sort of a rounder flavour, if that makes any sense.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I know what you mean, WW - although we don't use our chicken brick all that often, it does make a very nice job of it when we do. D. has done excellent roast lamb in it, and it was just the ticket for doing chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. [Big Grin]

[ 07. August 2015, 15:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016