homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Titanic struggle for the soul of the Catholic church (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Titanic struggle for the soul of the Catholic church
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note: "a transgender man" - as in the case being reported on of the Spanish transman who met with the Pope with his fiancee - is someone who is born "biologically female" but who identifies as male. The reporting of this has been pretty consistent in calling the person in question a female-to-male transgender person, as far as I am aware. So if you read about "a transgender man" in the news, as long as it's from a reputable news source in a relatively socially progressive country, you should assume its an FTM transgender individual.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I seem to have gotten that the wrong way around then. It wasn't quite so clear from the Yahoo link given above, though it certainly makes more sense concerning the purported insult by the parish priest. I should have realised that "Diego" and "man" would be after, rather than before, the surgery in secular reporting. Anyway, the analysis above basically holds, just by switching around what s/he really is, since phalloplasty leaves one impotent as such (quite apart from any less "mechanical" considerations). Anything but a sexually continent relationship would not be licit in the eyes of the Church.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I'm pretty sure Diego Neria Lejarraga would be more socially normal (and welcomed) in my circles than Pope Francis', but he still treated him decently.

Pope Francis did not treat him decently, in any simple sense. Rather he singled him out and arranged for an - inevitably public - demonstration of decency, if you so wish. It's a different kind of game that is being played there, a very public one, and I think Pope Francis should stop trading clarity on doctrine for the warm fuzzies from people who are at best neutral to the Church, if not decidedly inimical to her. Because that's effectively what he has been doing, in my opinion, whatever may have been his intentions.
For one thing, I think you are saying the Church should be neutral or inimical to Diego really and not vis versa. Because Diego is clearly not neutral to the Catholic Church despite what his priest apparently said. If he were, he wouldn't want to meet with its leader.

Re decency and ways to interpret it, I think I addressed that in the part of my comment you snipped out.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think you are saying the Church should be neutral or inimical to Diego really and not vis versa.

I wasn't talking about Diego at all with that comment, because I don't think these actions are primarily about Diego or indeed even transgendered people in general. I was talking about people like you or your husband, or indeed the majority of the mass media. I think these actions are aimed at the majority of people in the West who have a different opinion about transgendered people (and homosexuality) than the Church has. Admittedly, that's cynical. And I don't necessarily mean that Pope Francis is calculating his actions for effect. He may well be genuinely moved and rather impulsive, but if so, then I think he has mastered the art of channeling that into a specific public persona. As I guess is to be expected of a Jesuit...

quote:
Because Diego is clearly not neutral to the Catholic Church despite what his priest apparently said. If he were, he wouldn't want to meet with its leader.

That's an unrealistic appraisal of possible motivations that Diego might have. Not that I have any idea about those. For all I know he considers himself totally devout and Catholic to the core. But it would certainly also be possible for Diego to outright hate the church, and aim for her destruction, and still want to meet Pope Francis.

quote:
Re decency and ways to interpret it, I think I addressed that in the part of my comment you snipped out.

Fair enough. I think we are largely in agreement there anyway, we just evaluate the outcome differently. As I've said, we will simply see how much good Pope Francis is doing with all this.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwai. Spot on. Francis is a Christian despite being Roman.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
he singled him out and arranged for an - inevitably public - demonstration of decency, if you so wish. It's a different kind of game that is being played there, a very public one, and I think Pope Francis should stop trading clarity on doctrine for the warm fuzzies

In other words, the Pope should stop giving the appearance of being a decent man, because people might get the wrong idea about the Catholic church...
Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by IngoB:
But it would certainly also be possible for Diego to outright hate the church, and aim for her destruction, and still want to meet Pope Francis.

And why, if this soul is as evil as you say, should the Pope be afraid of Diego? Is he going to brainwash the poor Pope? Give the mistaken idea that it's possible to uphold church doctrine and show people basic courtesy and respect due to the image of God in them? Warm fuzzies, my ass. This is simply being human before humans, just as Jesus did.

In the Old Testament, contact with the Holy obliterated sinners with extreme prejudice. In the Gospels, contact with the Holy heals sinners. Have we gotten so far out that contact with sinners can destroy the holy? Is faith really such frail stuff that one confused soul can destroy an entire institution? If so, where is God in this?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I found some sources with a little more info:

Hoy newspaper (Spain). (In Spanish.) This is the original interview with Diego. It's quoted (in English) or referenced in the next two links.

Washington Post. This has quite a bit from Diego.

HuffPost.

I also checked the Whispers In The Loggia blog, but nothing yet.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Hoy Diego says he is a believing and practicing Catholic with a strong Catholic background.

For Martin60 pope Francis is not Roman.He was born and brought up in Argentina of Italian (but not Roman) parentage.

He speaks Italian easily and well.His (South American)Spanish is clearly noticed in his pronunciation of prayers in Latin.
To emphasize his role as Bishop of Rome he tends to use Italian, and only Italian, almost all the time.

During his recent trip to Sri Lanka and the Philipines he made a great effort to use English.
However on a number of occasions he departed from his prepared text and improvised in his native Spanish.

Yes, Francis is a Christian,he is an adopted Roman but is also Argentinian.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
And why, if this soul is as evil as you say, should the Pope be afraid of Diego? Is he going to brainwash the poor Pope? Give the mistaken idea that it's possible to uphold church doctrine and show people basic courtesy and respect due to the image of God in them? Warm fuzzies, my ass. This is simply being human before humans, just as Jesus did.

And so on, and so forth... Yes, the warm fuzzies - as on display here, with you, and Martin60, and plenty of other people either neutral or inimical to the Church. And the uselessness of it all is also on full display, because none of you people now feels compelled to join RCIA, isn't that so?

Of course, I cannot predict the effect on less prejudiced people. I don't know whether now many Catholics that were drifting away from the Church feel encouraged to stay. I cannot predict whether those more friendly to the Church indeed see this as a motivation to now finally join RCIA. But here's the thing: I don't need to. I can just wait. Let's give it five years or so, then we will see the impact Pope Francis has had on the numbers.

Meanwhile, none of you particularly cares about the pope sending mixed messages - if not outright causing scandal to the faithful - concerning key Catholic teachings on gender, intimate relationships, and marriage. Because you think these teachings are wrong, so who cares? Well, I do. And so do others who think these teachings are right. Jesus did not simply meet and greet with sinners. That is the false accusation of the Pharisees against him! Jesus brought sinners to repentance, he was working as doctor among the sick, healing or at least attempting to heal them. Where is the "go, and sin no more" in all this? If the pope is putting on a public show of WWJD, then where's the "what would a repentant sinner do" bit? Where is Diego crying on the pope's feet and wiping it with his/her hair?

But yes, according to most of you - I know - Diego is not sinning at all. So this is just the pope behaving a bit more like any decent person would, and acting as a good pastor should. So, warm fuzzies for you then. Enjoy, since that's all this will ever change in you.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Enjoy, since that's all this will ever change in you.

IngoB, we don't like personal attacks even when they are attacking "most of us" as perceived by you. Desist.

/hosting

[ 29. January 2015, 09:48: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I don't understand, if these teachings are "right", is why God wants people with gender dysphoria to be miserable, rather than change their gender. Seems rather a mean rule.

If that's "warm fuzzy" then so what? What's the harm in gender reassignment? Fuck all.

[ 29. January 2015, 10:15: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And why precisely should any Catholic, or for that matter traditional Catholic, care that you don't get Catholicism?

Because aren't you supposed to want and pray that I should be persuaded of the errors of my ways and join you?
quote:
The pope is infallible only under very special circumstances, which furthermore need to be invoked by the pope explicitly and do not attach to his office automatically, much less to just every thing he does or says. Otherwise the pope is fallible, which means that he can get things wrong and make mistakes.
That's fine. However, there's still a big difference between saying 'we only have to believe what the Pope says when he says specifically that he's propounding doctrine infallibly' and adopting a carping approach to everything one's spiritual leader says or does because he doesn't represent the sort of Catholicism one likes.

We're not in the C16 when Papal elections were just a matter of the grubbiest power politics. Presumably, as a Catholic, one believes that the Pope is the person God has chosen to lead the Catholic Church. Isn't one therefore supposed to listen to what he says and look at what he does with discernment. Perhaps, yes, he might turn out to be mistaken. Even so, if he isn't doing something I'd do if I were Pope, isn't the first question I should ask of myself, 'might this have something to say to me?', rather than 'if I got the chance, I'd have something to say to him'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
What I don't understand, if these teachings are "right", is why God wants people with gender dysphoria to be miserable, rather than change their gender. Seems rather a mean rule.

To repeat what I said above, how someone with gender identity disorder is to be treated is not - I think (!) - a fully settled issue within RC moral and pastoral practice. I think there is some scope there for seeing bodily surgery as the best available treatment option for this particular mental illness, if it acutely endangers the well-being of that person. This would however not entail accepting the changed gender as real where this affects church law (ordination and matrimony).

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Presumably, as a Catholic, one believes that the Pope is the person God has chosen to lead the Catholic Church. Isn't one therefore supposed to listen to what he says and look at what he does with discernment. Perhaps, yes, he might turn out to be mistaken. Even so, if he isn't doing something I'd do if I were Pope, isn't the first question I should ask of myself, 'might this have something to say to me?', rather than 'if I got the chance, I'd have something to say to him'.

I'm sorry, but I'm missing in all this the part where you show that this attitude and this discernment is missing in those who are uncomfortable with what Pope Francis is doing? Furthermore, I think you do not appreciate enough that being pope is an office. One can indeed apply discernment to the role of the office, it is not necessary to judge every single action of the papacy anew strictly on its own merits. And in practice, that is one reason why critique of what Pope Francis is doing is often so immediate. It is not "knee-jerk" (or at least it doesn't have to be), but a consistent comparison with a considered view of the role of this particular office. In fact, much of the praise for Pope Francis from others is generated near instantly in just the same way, but from a different view of the office.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But yes, according to most of you - I know - Diego is not sinning at all. So this is just the pope behaving a bit more like any decent person would, and acting as a good pastor should. So, warm fuzzies for you then. Enjoy, since that's all this will ever change in you.

It's not difficult.

Sinning is chosen behaviour chosen to hurt others. Our race, gender, eye colour and height (to name a few) are not chosen by us at all they are 'given' - by God if you believe that, or by chance if you don't.

Either way, we can't sin by simply being black, tall, gay, male, female etc.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just thank God that it is s/he who is in overall charge, and not just the Roman Catholic (or any other) Church!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It's not difficult. Sinning is chosen behaviour chosen to hurt others. Our race, gender, eye colour and height (to name a few) are not chosen by us at all they are 'given' - by God if you believe that, or by chance if you don't. Either way, we can't sin by simply being black, tall, gay, male, female etc.

I had a two paragraph response typed out before I realised that this would necessary stray into DH territory. Suffice to say then that you are absolutely correct, but for two things: 1. You overly limit what counts as "sin". 2. You include "tall" and "gay" in one list as if there are no differences between those two. But there are.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm catholic AND Catholic Forthview, just not Roman.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB:
quote:
You include "tall" and "gay" in one list as if there are no differences between those two. But there are.

I'm a bit surprised that, after all the discussion upthread, you didn't consider "male" or "female" as orientational sins, since the possibility for confusion and "improper" assignation exists. Is it sinful to maintain a lie if one perceives that one is the "wrong" physical gender and stays the way one is physically, or is one supposed to make changes to bring one disjointed pieces together, therefore approaching a less inimical state?

Plus I know some tall people who are really upset about that feature. Are they sinning by telling God that they disapprove of His choices?

And "gay": is it sinful to attempt to hide gayness, thereby damaging oneself and the people around one, especially one's married partner, or is it sinful to admit to one's nature, thereby earning disapproval from the Pharisees* while improving one's own mental state?

*See comments from Jesus on this matter

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
I'm a bit surprised that, after all the discussion upthread, you didn't consider "male" or "female" as orientational sins, since the possibility for confusion and "improper" assignation exists. Is it sinful to maintain a lie if one perceives that one is the "wrong" physical gender and stays the way one is physically, or is one supposed to make changes to bring one disjointed pieces together, therefore approaching a less inimical state?

(I don't know whether gender change is also DH? I'm not intending to overstep boundaries here.)

As mentioned, I'm not sure. I think gender is more fundamental to human life than for example weight, and consequently gender reassignment and liposuction are not to be considered at the same level. I do not know if gender reassignment is considered "evil as such", and if so, why precisely. Finally, I have not thought through possible scenarios of applying "double effect" in this case, i.e., to what extent gender reassignment may be an unintended though predictable lesser evil. Thus I can only answer that I reject the "I want X, therefore X is good" logic as obvious tosh, but I personally do not have a worked out and informed opinion on this topic.

quote:
Plus I know some tall people who are really upset about that feature. Are they sinning by telling God that they disapprove of His choices?

At some point, yes, obviously. Every bitching about your situation, whatever that situation may be, can turn into an open conflict with God. At what point is, however, a different question. Clearly there is some scope to complain about one's lot, as the psalms show. And it seems just and right to me that those whose crosses are heavier shall have more freedom to moan about it.

quote:
And "gay": is it sinful to attempt to hide gayness, thereby damaging oneself and the people around one, especially one's married partner, or is it sinful to admit to one's nature, thereby earning disapproval from the Pharisees* while improving one's own mental state? *See comments from Jesus on this matter

Discussions of being gay are DH, I understand, so let's not get into that here.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, I am happy for you to call yourself whatever you wish.I felt sure that you were not Roman,as you would have otherwise surely known that the present pope was not born in Rome.
As far as I know the last Roman pope was Pius XII
(pope between 1939 and 1958).

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Why would I surely not have known?

--------------------
Love wins

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I find it curious that Martin60 considers himself to be "catholic", i.e., universal. I wonder in what way Martin60 could possibly be universal - is he perhaps a general principle of mystifying speech?

I also find curious that Martin60 considers himself to be "Catholic", which of course in common parlance simply means being a member of the Roman Catholic Church - which he is not. Protesting this usage is as useless as complaining that some Eastern churches have called dibs on the label "Orthodox".

Now, that Martin60 is not part of the SPQR, and isn't an Italian hailing from the biggest city there, that I can believe. I wonder though why he considers this worth mentioning. Why not say "I'm not a New Yorker?" or perhaps "I'm not a citizen of the Ming?"

It's all very confusing, really.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Not really. I'm very grateful for my Roman Catholic heritage. Which makes me Catholic. Not just culturally as a Brit, but as an Anglican. I wouldn't claim to be Orthodox, although I'm strictly, rigidly, unyieldingly orthodox.

By the grace of God I'm catholic about it all too.

Placism is confusing isn't it?

--------------------
Love wins

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Sinning is chosen behaviour chosen to hurt others. Our race, gender, eye colour and height (to name a few) are not chosen by us at all they are 'given' - by God if you believe that, or by chance if you don't.

Either way, we can't sin by simply being black, tall, gay, male, female etc.

Seems to me that you're right that the only thing we're culpable - morally responsible - for is our choices. We're only responsible for what we are insofar as our choices have made us what we are. (My sister-in-law, for example, is a stubborn individual who reportedly stunted her growth by turning vegetarian as a teenager - some of her lack of height is a consequence of her choice).

So on that basis, if you believe that Diego has changed gender, then he is one of the very few people in the world whose maleness or femaleness could be (in your usage) sinful.

But in order to establish the wrongness or otherwise of his action, you would have to consider both intent and consequences. Has he hurt anyone thereby ? And was his intent honest, courageous, honourable etc or the opposite ? I'm unimpressed by the knee-jerk conservative reaction that such an act is untraditional and therefore must be bad. And equally the knee-jerk left-wing reaction that it's counter-cultural and therefore must be good.

Beyond our bad choices, there is a category of actions where we hurt other people or dishonour ourselves without choosing to (and without being culpably careless about). We regret the outcome afterwards, even though at the time we lack the knowledge or resources or perception to do otherwise.

It seems to me a matter of no more than linguistic convention, whether we use the word "sin" to include these shortcomings for which we are not to blame, or reserve that word for the failings for which we are culpable.

Which does not rule out the possibility of a dishonest usage which seeks to apply blame or induce guilt where none is due, to load the word with negative energy from the one case and then apply it to the other.

Best wishes,

Russ

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And so on, and so forth... Yes, the warm fuzzies - as on display here, with you, and Martin60, and plenty of other people either neutral or inimical to the Church. And the uselessness of it all is also on full display, because none of you people now feels compelled to join RCIA, isn't that so?

Of course, I cannot predict the effect on less prejudiced people. I don't know whether now many Catholics that were drifting away from the Church feel encouraged to stay. I cannot predict whether those more friendly to the Church indeed see this as a motivation to now finally join RCIA. But here's the thing: I don't need to. I can just wait. Let's give it five years or so, then we will see the impact Pope Francis has had on the numbers.

Meanwhile, none of you particularly cares about the pope sending mixed messages - if not outright causing scandal to the faithful - concerning key Catholic teachings on gender, intimate relationships, and marriage. Because you think these teachings are wrong, so who cares? Well, I do. And so do others who think these teachings are right. Jesus did not simply meet and greet with sinners. That is the false accusation of the Pharisees against him! Jesus brought sinners to repentance, he was working as doctor among the sick, healing or at least attempting to heal them. Where is the "go, and sin no more" in all this? If the pope is putting on a public show of WWJD, then where's the "what would a repentant sinner do" bit? Where is Diego crying on the pope's feet and wiping it with his/her hair?

It's only prejudice if you form your opinion of someone without giving them a fair shake.

What I have is, I do not think, prejudice. I've seen this kind of tale before.

Nice try, but I've heard hellfire and damnation before. I've learned to live with the discomfort of someone else casting existential aspersions in my general direction.

[ 30. January 2015, 01:28: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Now, IngoB, since you didn't respond to the latter part of my post, how do you answer this?
quote:
In the Old Testament, contact with the Holy obliterated sinners with extreme prejudice. In the Gospels, contact with the Holy heals sinners. Have we gotten so far out that contact with sinners can destroy the holy? Is faith really such frail stuff that one confused soul can destroy an entire institution? If so, where is God in this?
Why are you so fearful that a trannie could threaten God's kingdom by meeting with the Pope? You spoke of him as if he were some kind of dastardly villain, steepling his fingers and fancying the destruction of the Roman Catholic Church.

The Gates of Hell shall not prevail. Satan shall be cast down. Do not be concerned with the evil of this age, for it will pass away.

Why is this one individual such a threat? How is that even conceivable?

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has the potential to cause much scandal among the faithful fof start. A bishop should not be the cause of scandal. But then Francis is a pope in the image of JPII. Both talking much meaningless gobbledegook (JPII philosophical mumbo jumbo and Francis "warm fuzzies") and the cause of much scandal among the RC faithful. I'm laying money on on Francis to be the first person to be canonised whilst still alive, btw. I can see it already, because most people are thick.

Benedict XVI on the otherhand was a breath of fresh air. Mild mannered, humble, patristic, a great mind yet intelligable.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm confused.

The claim, earlier in the thread, was that the Pope was demonstrating to the public that we should behave lovingly towards people even if we disagree with them. And now you, IngoB, are calling it "useless" because no-one's feeling compelled to become Catholic as a result?

Surely, even assuming that the RCC is the one true church that we should all join, in a situation where we AREN'T joining it,
a) influencing people outside the RCC to behave more lovingly
is still better than
b) not caring whether people outside the RCC behave lovingly or not

After all, if nothing else, option (a) could cause people to gradually move closer to Christ, could it not?

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ad Orientem--

Actually, I think Francis is more like JP1, who I also liked very much.

B16 seemed to be much less of a people person.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Why are you so fearful that a trannie could threaten God's kingdom by meeting with the Pope? You spoke of him as if he were some kind of dastardly villain, steepling his fingers and fancying the destruction of the Roman Catholic Church. The Gates of Hell shall not prevail. Satan shall be cast down. Do not be concerned with the evil of this age, for it will pass away. Why is this one individual such a threat? How is that even conceivable?

I don't think the whole "gates of hell" thing means that we are to sit on our thumbs waiting for God to clear away any obstacles Satan is throwing our way. I think for the most part it will be us acting as instruments of God who are to ensure that the Gates of Hell indeed do not prevail. To use this verse as a kind of "laissez faire" principle is in my eyes entirely mistaken. I'm nor entirely sure what you are quoting or paraphrasing with the evil that shall pass away, but I'm sure that if you were to give me chapter and verse, then I would not find a simple counsel of passivity there either.

Diego is, I'm afraid, a pawn on a chessboard here. There's nothing anybody can do about that, including Pope Francis. As I've said above already, it is impossible for Pope Francis to act towards Diego simply as pastor, or as "good neighbour". At least not unless he hides his identity. Just like the current POTUS is effectively incapable of visiting the house of a poor family just as Mr Obama. It cannot be done. Wherever people in such positions go, they drag their office with them. The pope then is always scrutinised for "normative behaviour", at least when put in situations that do have relevant content for faith and morals. (Pope Francis probably can eat dinner without everybody around him trying to draw spiritual lessons from it. Probably.) And if the pope then deals with such a situation without in any way affirming the relevant normative teachings of the Church, nor in any way following the normative procedure for dealing with such situations, then people will wonder whether these norms still apply. And if the pope wishes to actually uphold these norms, then that's a problem. And if he doesn't, then that's a different problem...

In a way, the pope is doing here what Diego's "neighbours" should have been doing. Or perhaps his parish priest. At least as an initial step... So maybe Pope Francis wishes to "lead by example". Fine. Problem is that he does not have the reputation to do it. If Pope Francis was known as hammer of the heretics, as ultra-trad slamming the moderns left and right, as the second coming of Pius X, he he could have done this easily. Only Nixon could go to China. As it is though, basically everybody on all sides is seeing this as another brick in the liberal, modernist wall. This may be unfair to Pope Francis, but that's how things are. If he wants to liberally demonstrate being pastoral, then he needs to studiously demonstrate orthodoxy and orthopraxis. Or people will jump to conclusions. Them's the breaks if you are pope. And he is pope, he isn't just the bishop of Rome, much less some parish priest in Rome, and least of all some RC lay person.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, whenever the topic of transgender people comes up it always feels to me as if you don't accept that gender can be anything other than a binary state, based on the presence or absence of a Y chromosome.

This is demonstrably not true, because androgen insensitivity syndrome has conclusively shown that it's possible for a person to end up with a female body while possessing a Y chromosome. Gender is affected by several different things, just as height is affected by several different things.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
I'm confused. The claim, earlier in the thread, was that the Pope was demonstrating to the public that we should behave lovingly towards people even if we disagree with them. And now you, IngoB, are calling it "useless" because no-one's feeling compelled to become Catholic as a result? Surely, even assuming that the RCC is the one true church that we should all join, in a situation where we AREN'T joining it,
a) influencing people outside the RCC to behave more lovingly
is still better than
b) not caring whether people outside the RCC behave lovingly or not
After all, if nothing else, option (a) could cause people to gradually move closer to Christ, could it not?

This simply ignores the actual situation, as actually expressed by several people on this thread. What Pope Francis is doing here is not seen as some special Christian (or Catholic) kindness. It is pretty much seen as the pope (and possibly with him the Church) catching up to basic standards of decent behaviour. It's more a "well, at least he did say sorry and came through in the end" moment in the eyes of the world. But the pope cannot actually come through in the end. So this invariably will disappoint and appear as hollow.

So probably nobody will dare to call Diego "devil's daughter" any more. Good. Is that special Christian kindness? It's more the absence of special Christian unkindness! But what will happen if Diego in face of so much friendliness now presents with his partner at communion? What, tell me, is the poor parish priest to do? I tell you what he probably should do, namely deny Diego communion. (Probably, because it is possible that Diego has repented and is living as sibling and sister with his partner. It's just unlikely.) Then what? Then all this friendliness comes crashing down. It would be sweetly ironic if Diego then appealed to Pope Francis to tell that parish priest to give him communion. What's Pope Francis going to say then? "Well, Diego, you asked me whether you have a place in the Church. And I hugged you. By this I meant that you actually need to repent and end all sexual activity with your partner, if you want to become a Catholic in good standing again. As soon as you do, of course you can take communion." Brilliant.

Of course, perhaps they had that conversation already. What do I know. But that's exactly the point. I do not know. I have no idea whether Pope Francis actually injected some orthopractical realism into his pastoral approach. If he did, it isn't getting any press. And so people everywhere are free to think "Well, finally the RCC seems to be shedding these stupid rules about gays, about time." Is that bringing people closer to Christ? If you believe that these rules are in fact stupid, then it is more bringing the Church closer to Christ. (And thus people, but a different group of people - not the ones commenting.) If you believe that these rules are in fact holy, then clearly not. Then this is rather affirming people in staying away from Christ.

I appreciate that Pope Francis is teaching the world and the Church "don't be mean to transsexuals". No doubt there are many people who still need to hear that, inside and outside of the Church. But here he appears to be simply joining the choir, and not striking a distinctive note. But he really has to. Because he cannot in fact sing along with the entire secular song. And the latter he breaks out of that harmony, the more dissonant it will be.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some straw men here. No-one is saying "it's counter-cultural, therefore it's good", nor is anyone saying "I want X therefore X is good". It's more trying to find any way whatsoever in which this particular X, gender reassignment, can possibly be called not good, since it resolves a problem and harms no-one.

The definition of sin I struggle with is an action that does no-one any harm whatsoever but is decreed as "sin" anyway.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
IngoB, whenever the topic of transgender people comes up it always feels to me as if you don't accept that gender can be anything other than a binary state, based on the presence or absence of a Y chromosome.

This is demonstrably not true, because androgen insensitivity syndrome has conclusively shown that it's possible for a person to end up with a female body while possessing a Y chromosome. Gender is affected by several different things, just as height is affected by several different things.

That for some people it is difficult to determine their gender, and that for some it may even be a matter of human choice imposing one onto an unformed body, is neither here nor there. Just like I can discuss sight in spite of shortsightedness or even blindness, locomotion in spite of quadriplegia and muscular atrophy, etc. Dysfunction does not mean that I cannot discuss function. It simply means that what I discuss concerning function does not apply as straightforwardly to those who have dysfunction, and possibly in them only denotes a lack one has to contend with. And quite generally, hard cases do not make good law. It is foolish to start one's consideration of gender with those few difficult cases where gender is hard, or even impossible, to determine objectively. Whereas once one has figured out how one wants to deal with gender in principle, one can come back to these hard cases. Then one can motivate all sorts of exceptions and adaptations in such cases, because one has established principles as guidance.

In the case at hand, I do not believe that there is any difficulty in determining Diego's biological gender? Then we do not need to worry about the possibility of unclear biological gender here. That does not change anything concerning Diego. Because what we say about gender is based on its natural function, and we judge any dysfunction precisely by the actual deviation. So in the case of Diego, we have to ask what consequences the psychological disagreement with the biological gender may have. Nothing else.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Some straw men here. No-one is saying "it's counter-cultural, therefore it's good", nor is anyone saying "I want X therefore X is good". It's more trying to find any way whatsoever in which this particular X, gender reassignment, can possibly be called not good, since it resolves a problem and harms no-one.

The definition of sin I struggle with is an action that does no-one any harm whatsoever but is decreed as "sin" anyway.

The 'sin' appears to be not living in the body that God gave you.

Which I find raises absolutely enormous problems. I don't know, for example, how such a position can be squared with Jesus healing a man born blind or the Apostles healing a man born a cripple. Nor do I know how it can be squared with allowing modern medicine to be used to deal with a range of other problems that people are born with.

The only way that it can be reconciled is simply to deny that there is any 'problem' to be fixed, or to demand that in a conflict between the mind and the body, it's the physical body that must triumph over the person's mind, that the evidence of OUR eyes is more important than the evidence of the own person's mind, heart and soul.

Personally I can't see how it's possible to treat the body in this way, so that the comfort of the person inside the body isn't relevant, but we do it in the reverse fashion as well - we tell deaf people that they're disabled when they don't feel disabled, and I've just happened to read a fascinating blog post by about a dyslexic person about how wearying it is to deal with all these 'normal' people who can't read letters backwards and think there's a problem when he/she reverses a letter's orientation.

But fundamentally that's what it's about: a position that other people know more about whether a person's body is okay or not than the person themselves know. This is cloaked in a statement that GOD knows more about the correct state of your body than you do, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that God is actually asked about this, nor is there much exploration of why it might be that God allows some people to be born in 'mistaken' bodies, such as blind or crippled, but never allows this mistake.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
In the case at hand, I do not believe that there is any difficulty in determining Diego's biological gender?

As partly outlined in the post immediately below yours, this is begging the question. It's highly problematic to describe 'gender' as stopping at an external examination that checks whether various lumps appear to be in the place you, an external observer, expects.

Is the brain not a biological organ? Is its functioning not a biological process?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
In the case at hand, I do not believe that there is any difficulty in determining Diego's biological gender?

As partly outlined in the post immediately below yours, this is begging the question. It's highly problematic to describe 'gender' as stopping at an external examination that checks whether various lumps appear to be in the place you, an external observer, expects.

Is the brain not a biological organ? Is its functioning not a biological process?

The notion of biological gender is confused in any case. It's sex identity that is biological, (male and female), and there are blurred areas here; but the notion of gender formerly used to denote masculinity and femininity, which are more psychological and sociological areas. Unfortunately, the meaning of 'gender' has started to leak into 'sex', so that quite often you don't really know what someone means by the term.

On top of that, some people start talking about what is 'unnatural' or against 'natural function', so you end up with quite a scrambled set of meanings here!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
As partly outlined in the post immediately below yours, this is begging the question. It's highly problematic to describe 'gender' as stopping at an external examination that checks whether various lumps appear to be in the place you, an external observer, expects. Is the brain not a biological organ? Is its functioning not a biological process?

Nobody is ignoring the brain here, but you are simply ignoring my point. In regular function, the gender of your genes, of your "lumps" and of your mind are one and the same. It is already a dysfunction if they somehow deviate from each other. I simply do not have to deal with gender identity disorder, people with various chromosomal abnormalities and whatnot to make statements about gender. Period. Once I have said something about gender in its regular function, I have to deal with the special cases presented by various dysfunctions. But then I only need to do so precisely in terms of these dysfunctions. I do not have to somehow generalise dysfunction to have the same status as function, and consider it on an equal footing. Dysfunction remains secondary to function, as some kind of privation thereof. And that's exactly how it should be dealt with.

(And before anybody jumps to conclusions: the above says in no way or form that people with gender dysfunction are secondary human beings. That is not the point at all.)

Edit in light of crosspost: Furthermore, I am talking about "sex identity" with "gender" here, primarily, not necessarily about "gender roles" where cultural concerns come into play as well.

[ 30. January 2015, 10:46: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
As partly outlined in the post immediately below yours, this is begging the question. It's highly problematic to describe 'gender' as stopping at an external examination that checks whether various lumps appear to be in the place you, an external observer, expects. Is the brain not a biological organ? Is its functioning not a biological process?

Nobody is ignoring the brain here, but you are simply ignoring my point. In regular function, the gender of your genes, of your "lumps" and of your mind are one and the same. It is already a dysfunction if they somehow deviate from each other. I simply do not have to deal with gender identity disorder, people with various chromosomal abnormalities and whatnot to make statements about gender. Period. Once I have said something about gender in its regular function, I have to deal with the special cases presented by various dysfunctions. But then I only need to do so precisely in terms of these dysfunctions. I do not have to somehow generalise dysfunction to have the same status as function, and consider it on an equal footing. Dysfunction remains secondary to function, as some kind of privation thereof. And that's exactly how it should be dealt with.

(And before anybody jumps to conclusions: the above says in no way or form that people with gender dysfunction are secondary human beings. That is not the point at all.)

Yes.

But then you are saying it is a sin to resolve the dysfunction. Why is it a sin to resolve gender dysphoria, but not a sin to heal blindness or an inability to walk?

[ 30. January 2015, 10:46: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

ADDENDUM: That is the real problem here. A person suffering from gender dysphoria would actually entirely agree with you that there's a problem, but the approach you advocate is to tell them that they must live with it.

Either that, or you tell them that they must 'solve' it in a way that that all the evidence indicates doesn't work.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
But then you are saying it is a sin to resolve the dysfunction. Why is it a sin to resolve gender dysphoria, but not a sin to heal blindness or an inability to walk?

This is the third time on this thread then where I say that I - personally - am not sure about the sinfulness of gender reassignment therapy. Not because I disagree with the RCC, but simply because I have not put in the necessary work to have an informed and coherent opinion. I actually do not even know what the official RC teaching is there, at least not at the nitty-gritty level. And I also repeat once more that I think a key concern has to be just how strongly, and in what way, gender/sex is part of our identity.

This does not change my concerns with Diego and the pope, and from the start I have indicated that I am focusing on his presumably intimate relationship with a woman there.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

This is the third time on this thread then where I say that I - personally - am not sure about the sinfulness of gender reassignment therapy. Not because I disagree with the RCC, but simply because I have not put in the necessary work to have an informed and coherent opinion. I actually do not even know what the official RC teaching is there, at least not at the nitty-gritty level. And I also repeat once more that I think a key concern has to be just how strongly, and in what way, gender/sex is part of our identity.

This does not change my concerns with Diego and the pope, and from the start I have indicated that I am focusing on his presumably intimate relationship with a woman there.

I don't get it. If you don't have a concluded position on gender reassignment, what exactly is there that is wrong about Diego such that there is a problem with Diego meeting the Pope?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On top of that, saying that gender dysphoria is a mental illness presupposes a huge amount. First, it should be properly termed sex and gender dysphoria, but we seem to stuck with the 'gender' word to denote sex.

Second, there may be biological causes for people's dissatisfaction with their sex identity; third, the common medical treatment is to change sex identity, provided the person has shown a long-standing dissatisfaction with their current sex; fourth, gender problems need not be dealt with medically in any case, but possibly psychologically.

But to call it a mental illness reminds me of the psychiatrization of homosexuality, which fortunately, has been largely abandoned.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are beaurocratic considerations which would justify calling sex and gender dysphoria a recognised medical condition. Though classing it as a mental illness seems very extreme.

In most places, someone (eg: a national health service, medical insurance) will only pay for a medical treatment if that treatment addresses a recognised medical condition and is expected to improve the quality of life of the patient. Which is why the beaurocrats need to be able to tick the box next to a list of recognised medical conditions.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't get it. If you don't have a concluded position on gender reassignment, what exactly is there that is wrong about Diego such that there is a problem with Diego meeting the Pope?
I think Ingo's position AIUI is that even if you allow Diego to have gender reassignment, he's still "really" a woman so can't marry one. And even if he is a sort of man, he can't get one up the duff so it's still verboten.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Ah well, if his problem is with homosexuality then my response is going to be the same: I don't think much of the two offered positions, which is to either tell homosexuals to just 'live with it', or to offer a solution that isn't a solution at all in the form of trying to cure the condition.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
There are beaurocratic considerations which would justify calling sex and gender dysphoria a recognised medical condition. Though classing it as a mental illness seems very extreme.

In most places, someone (eg: a national health service, medical insurance) will only pay for a medical treatment if that treatment addresses a recognised medical condition and is expected to improve the quality of life of the patient. Which is why the beaurocrats need to be able to tick the box next to a list of recognised medical conditions.

Yes, the NHS tends to treat it as a medical condition, but definitely not as a mental illness. This now smacks of the same judgmental view which listed homosexuality in the DSM.

I wonder if that is why the word 'gender' is now being used, instead of 'sex', since often we are talking about a dissatisfaction with sex identity. Gender misalignment is also a problem for some people, but does not require surgery.

In terms of talking of it as sinful, well, speaking as a psychotherapist, that is not germane.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Sorry, the above is unclear. I am wondering if 'gender' is being used as a euphemism for 'sex' since people still feel uneasy about somebody's dissatisfaction with their sex identity. The trouble is, we no longer have a word for gender!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016