homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Introducing me. There are no gods or supernatural! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Introducing me. There are no gods or supernatural!
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
What would you say to me if DNA evidence was found which proved that Jesus had no human father? That science cannot speak to religious claims? I don't think so.

Firstly, what would count as DNA evidence that Jesus had no human father? It was found that one of the purported foreskins had only half the usual complement of chromosomes? But that would still require us to think the evidence that the foreskin actually derived from Jesus was reliable. Also, the doctrine of the incarnation requires that Jesus was an actual functioning human being, and it would be questionable whether an entity with only half the usual chromosomes would count as fully human, even were he biologically functional.
With all due respect plus some additional bonus respect that isn't due, you're missing the point. It was a rhetorical question about a hypothetical situation, so your issues are unimportant here. unless you,re sidestepping, of course, in which case I take back the abovementioned respect (both due and undue).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the question very interesting.

What if we found unequivocal, scientific evidence that all that is written in the Gospels was true?

I'm not interested in the mechanics of what such evidence would entail. Heck, if you want to, imagine a time machine that could transport us back to the 1st Century invisibly, and we could see it all with our own eyes. Him walking on water, Him dying, Him ressurecting ... I'll even throw in some invisible scientific measuring equipment if you want, to really establish that He was dead.

It doesn't matter how. What if you had the most solid proof you couldn't deny, that it was all true?

I think that my first reaction would be disappointment. Believing in something that has been proven isn't half the fun ...

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc

Presumably, it would not arouse feelings of transcendence and the numinous? But I'm not sure. I would say that humans yearn to go beyond, well, beyond lots of things, but beyond the ego, beyond this reality, and religion partly satisfies that. Well, so do other things, e.g. music, art.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
What would you say to me if DNA evidence was found which proved that Jesus had no human father? That science cannot speak to religious claims? I don't think so.

Firstly, what would count as DNA evidence that Jesus had no human father? It was found that one of the purported foreskins had only half the usual complement of chromosomes? But that would still require us to think the evidence that the foreskin actually derived from Jesus was reliable. Also, the doctrine of the incarnation requires that Jesus was an actual functioning human being, and it would be questionable whether an entity with only half the usual chromosomes would count as fully human, even were he biologically functional.
With all due respect plus some additional bonus respect that isn't due, you're missing the point. It was a rhetorical question about a hypothetical situation, so your issues are unimportant here. unless you,re sidestepping, of course, in which case I take back the abovementioned respect (both due and undue).
Sure, science speaks to religious claims. Until the early twentieth century it was a religious claim that the universe wasn't eternal and had a finite beginning in the past (contra the prevailing Newtonian scientific view). The current standard cosmological model now speaks in support of that claim. Point is understanding the limits that science brings to our understanding of reality. We don't resolve moral questions using "science" as our final arbiter (for instance).

Don't know how many times we've been round this particular carousel on the Ship.....

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With all due respect plus some additional bonus respect that isn't due

I don't think anything in my post was personal in this way, was it?
A small cynical and perhaps unfair voice suggests to me that you're being deliberately personal and unpleasant in order to evade honest criticism of your 'point'. If the small cynical voice is correct, the place to be deliberately personal and unpleasant is Hell.

quote:
It was a rhetorical question about a hypothetical situation, so your issues are unimportant here.
My issues were equally rhetorical. Your point was that Christians contrary to their professed claims would abandon NOMA if it suited us. My rhetorical issues were there to illustrate the fact that we wouldn't.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
Until the early twentieth century it was a religious claim that the universe wasn't eternal and had a finite beginning in the past (contra the prevailing Newtonian scientific view). The current standard cosmological model now speaks in support of that claim.

In the sense in which a religious claim that the universe has a finite beginning in the past contradicted the Newtonian scientific view(*), it predicted that the finite beginning was roughly six thousand years ago, give or take a couple of thousand years. That claim has been comprehensively rubbished.

The sense in which it was made as a genuinely religious claim, it was just as compatible with a universe that is eternal in time, as pointed out by Aquinas no less (who, having no better information, thought it true in both senses).

(*) Newton himself thought the religious claims were literally true.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Until the early twentieth century it was a religious claim that the universe wasn't eternal and had a finite beginning in the past (contra the prevailing Newtonian scientific view). The current standard cosmological model now speaks in support of that claim.

In the sense in which a religious claim that the universe has a finite beginning in the past contradicted the Newtonian scientific view(*), it predicted that the finite beginning was roughly six thousand years ago, give or take a couple of thousand years. That claim has been comprehensively rubbished.

The sense in which it was made as a genuinely religious claim, it was just as compatible with a universe that is eternal in time, as pointed out by Aquinas no less (who, having no better information, thought it true in both senses).

(*) Newton himself thought the religious claims were literally true.

Bishop Usher reckoned the universe was about 6,000 years old. Paul didn't put a date on it - just said that God existed before the universe, and that everything that was made (all material and non material) came into existence through Christ.

BTW, the idea that the universe is past eternal is as comprehensively rubbished by the same evidence that shows it's older than 6,000 years, as well as the philosophical and mathematical absurdity of the idea of there being an infitite number of past events.

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
as well as the philosophical and mathematical absurdity of the idea of there being an infitite number of past events.

Could you state your sources for the this. Aristotal thought the universe was eternal. Aquinas didn't agree but this was based on revelation rather than philosophy. His view was that philosophy couldn't answer the question either way and was irrelevant anyway as God was beyond time, and was an ontological, not temporal first cause. Even a universe with an infinite number of past events wouldn't answer the question as to why it existed in the first place as (in Thomist language), its essence 'what it is' isn't the same as its existence 'that it is'. It's only God who fits that criteria which is why he's a necessary being.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

BTW, the idea that the universe is past eternal is as comprehensively rubbished by the same evidence that shows it's older than 6,000 years, as well as the philosophical and mathematical absurdity of the idea of there being an infitite number of past events.

Is it? Surely an infinitely long universe with repeated Big Bangs and Big Crunches is far harder to disprove than YEC simply because it is impossible to prove what happened before time.

--------------------
arse

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bishop Usher reckoned the universe was about 6,000 years old.

And Leo Allatius thought Saturn's rings was Jesus's foreskin.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

What if we found unequivocal, scientific evidence that all that is written in the Gospels was true?

I asked somebody a variant of that once. Her response was "I wouldn't believe anyway. I don't want to."

Which I found appalling but refreshingly honest.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I asked somebody a variant of that once. Her response was "I wouldn't believe anyway. I don't want to."

Which I found appalling but refreshingly honest.

I have thought about that case. I would ask why God has not helped us since then? Why has he left us to suffer, to wage war, to go through famines, disease, or what have you.

Why are you a tyrant!!!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

Is it? Surely an infinitely long universe with repeated Big Bangs and Big Crunches is far harder to disprove than YEC simply because it is impossible to prove what happened before time.
Quick word to your good self and Jack O Green. On the absurdity of actual infinities, pay a visit to
Hilbert's Hotel which is always full and where there's always a vacancy.

On the repeated Bangs and Crunches you don't have a "before time" in an absolute sense, just before the formation of each universe. You still have to cope with an initial finite beginning - the first Bang since an actual infinite of bangs is absurd.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Bishop Usher reckoned the universe was about 6,000 years old. Paul didn't put a date on it - just said that God existed before the universe, and that everything that was made (all material and non material) came into existence through Christ.

Bishop Usher reached his figure by doing arithmetic on the ages of patriarchs in the Bible, and trying to correlate that with secular history. He no doubt made some subjective judgements along the way, but he's going along with the rough time span set out by the literal text of the Bible.
The point being that prior to the eighteenth century I think most Christians, whether or not they would have accepted Usher's exact date, believed in a world that began shortly before recorded human history.

quote:
The question isn't whether or not the universe is or is not past eternal; it is whether the question has any bearing on the truth of Christianity.

The idea of an infinite number of past events is intuitively hard to grasp, but mathematically there isn't a problem with it, there being just as many negative numbers as positive. When one tries to turn the intuitive difficulty into an actual counterargument, one can't manage it.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On the repeated Bangs and Crunches you don't have a "before time" in an absolute sense, just before the formation of each universe. You still have to cope with an initial finite beginning - the first Bang since an actual infinite of bangs is absurd.

I Am Not A Mathematician (or a cosmologist) but a circular system of time which keeps crunching and banging is not impossible to comprehend to me.

It might not be true, but I cannot see why it is so obviously easy to disprove. There is no beginning or end, the thing just keeps cycling around and starting again.

--------------------
arse

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
quote:

I Am Not A Mathematician (or a cosmologist) but a circular system of time which keeps crunching and banging is not impossible to comprehend to me.

It might not be true, but I cannot see why it is so obviously easy to disprove. There is no beginning or end, the thing just keeps cycling around and starting again.

Fair do's. We'll agree to differ then.
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

@Dafyd. Bit of a tangent this, but interesting. Question I was coming in on was whether science had anything to say to the claims of Christianity. I'm relaxed that it does. There's a stack of historical discoveries made by Christians - the modern scientific method emerged in the Christian West spearheaded by scientists who believed the universe was ordered by a creative Mind and therefore should be open to investigation. Eastern and Middle Eastern philosophical worldviews took a different tack and were slower to get on board.

The point about the finite beginning of the universe is that Paul believed the universe had one. Misguided attempts to date that from Scripture doesn't change that core belief. Over the years the church has had a few daft ideas based on poor hermeneutics. As one joker put it, cosmologists climbed the mountain of knowledge to discover the origin of the universe and when they got there they found a group of theologians enjoying afternoon tea.

On an actual infinite of past events (as opposed to infinity as a useful tool in pure maths) - nope, still don't get it.

Can you reconcile an infinite universe with the claims of Christianity? Well Aquinas and Mr Cheesy reckon so, so you're in good company, and Newton himself didn't have a problem with it. From my point of view, it's a discussion we don't need to have - I'm not going to get too excited about it, since it's a respectable view with a long history in Christian thought.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that Aquinas wasn't concerned with the beginning of the universe, but saw God as underpinning creation at each moment. In some Eastern religions, there is the interesting idea that each moment is the beginning, but I don't think that is a Thomist idea.

--------------------

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I thought that Aquinas wasn't concerned with the beginning of the universe, but saw God as underpinning creation at each moment. In some Eastern religions, there is the interesting idea that each moment is the beginning, but I don't think that is a Thomist idea.

Pretty much on your first point. Didn't matter to Aquinas whether the universe had a finite beginning or not - more important to him is that its existence, moment by moment, depends on God (as the writer to Hebrews puts it, Christ sustains the world by his word of power). Here's a summary of some cosmological ideas and how Aquinas's views are relevant. Personally not convinced about some of the conclusions, but it shows the continuing relevance and applicability of the thoughts of a brilliant theologian.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
There's a stack of historical discoveries made by Christians - the modern scientific method emerged in the Christian West spearheaded by scientists who believed the universe was ordered by a creative Mind and therefore should be open to investigation.

I believe this is true. But it's a rather different proposition.
The claims made by advocates for the potential of empirical natural philosophy in the seventeenth century depended upon theistic metaphysics. And the thought that empirical natural philosophy ought to work better than axiomatic natural philosophy depended historically upon theistic metaphysics. But that would be true whatever results the empirical natural philosophical enterprise came up with. Just because the theistic metaphysics of the time could be used as a basis to argue that natural philosophy required empirical and experimental techniques, it was irrelevant to that link what the outcome of those techniques was. If theistic metaphysics requires empirical experimental investigation to determine results in natural philosophy, then none of those results can be more compatible with theistic metaphysics than any other.

quote:
The point about the finite beginning of the universe is that Paul believed the universe had one. Misguided attempts to date that from Scripture doesn't change that core belief.
Well, yes, he did. But I'm not sure he would have thought that was a more salient feature than the order of magnitude of the date.
Certainly, the context in which he thought that was not the questions we are considering in this thread.

quote:
On an actual infinite of past events (as opposed to infinity as a useful tool in pure maths) - nope, still don't get it.
It is theoretically no different from an infinite number of future events. Well, possibly there's an asymmetry in that an infinite number of past events but a finite number of future events is difficult to get one's head round. The point I think is to remember that no single event is infinitely far in the past.

--------------------

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aristotle's thoughtful musing remains every bit as good even after more than twenty centuries, i.e., "Why is there anything at all, rather than nothing … ???"

And … No ... "A random fluctuation in the primordial vacuum ..." isn't a sufficient answer ...

Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely. Despite a quantum vacuum often being characterised as nothing - even by some scientists, it is anything but.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's certainly not self-evidently self-contradictory. One can disagree on whether it's true. There is no disagreement on whether it's clearly impossible. It clearly is not.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that trying to figure out where everything came from always hits a "but where did THAT come from?" problem.

If a Creator (of any religious flavor) is the Uncaused Cause of everything else,...well, how can there be something that's uncaused?

In a non-theistic, Big Bang scenario, where did the materials for the bang come from?

In a steady-state, "everything's always been here" scenario, where did the everything come from?

ISTM we're all kind of in the same boat.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

No, we are not. And your very own words show that... You had to modify your question when talking about the "uncaused Cause", and that is no accident. The thrust of the question has been deflected, since the point of being "uncaused" is basically not coming from anywhere at any time. And if we continue our queries, then we indeed ask practically how such an entity can be, i.e., we ask what characteristics the "uncaused Cause" must have in order to be able to exist as an "uncaused Cause". That's exactly the classical path of discussion that you can find in the Summa Theologiae: first show the necessity of an "uncaused Cause", then show what it necessarily must be like.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a reasonable summary.

At any rate, I think it's reasonable.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
ISTM that trying to figure out where everything came from always hits a "but where did THAT come from?" problem.

If a Creator (of any religious flavor) is the Uncaused Cause of everything else,...well, how can there be something that's uncaused?

In a non-theistic, Big Bang scenario, where did the materials for the bang come from?

In a steady-state, "everything's always been here" scenario, where did the everything come from?

I don't understand what IngoB wrote above, but one who believes in an eternal universe is emphatically not in the same boat, because there is no beginning or end, the thing is just constantly cycling. There is no need to explain where the big bang came from - as it was from the debris of the previous universe.

I don't really see why this so difficult to grasp.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where did the first lot of debris come from? Doesn't an infinite series have a first term?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I don't understand what IngoB wrote above, but one who believes in an eternal universe is emphatically not in the same boat, because there is no beginning or end, the thing is just constantly cycling. There is no need to explain where the big bang came from - as it was from the debris of the previous universe.

Let's take an infinite sequence: F0: ..., -3, 2, -1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... (yes, the Fibonacci sequence from n= -4 to n= 6 if I've got it right).

Now let's take another: F1: ... -11, 7, -4, 3, -1, 2, 1, 3, 4, 7, 11... (the same sequence offset by 1 at one at n=3, again if I've got it right.).

And a third: F2: ... 4, -1, 3, 0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 9....
(Which is n= 2n(-1) + n(-2) - n (-3) IIGIR.)

From any point within those sequences it is true that the value is entirely determined by the previous two values. Nevertheless, it still looks as if there are two more questions that need to be asked to fully explain what is going on: namely, why are the values in this sequence set at the value they are - the difference between the Fibonacci sequence and the F1 sequence; and then why are the rules the way they are (the difference between the Fibonacci sequence and the F2 sequence).

Those look like they're valid questions, even though they cannot be answered by the techniques you'd use to determine what n(x) is at any point given sufficient prior values.

[ 22. March 2015, 14:59: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Where did the first lot of debris come from? Doesn't an infinite series have a first term?

The debris (in this hypothesis) came from the previous universe. There was no 'first'. Why does it have to be linear?

I just don't see why or how there could be any mathematical proof to show that an infinite series had a beginning. Start at any point along this series and the numbers stretch out infinitely in both directions - and.. maybe.. join up.

As I said before, no proof it is like this - but no proof it is not either. A loop would solve the problem of where it all came from, if nothing else.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

From any point within those sequences it is true that the value is entirely determined by the previous two values. Nevertheless, it still looks as if there are two more questions that need to be asked to fully explain what is going on: namely, why are the values in this sequence set at the value they are - the difference between the Fibonacci sequence and the F1 sequence; and then why are the rules the way they are (the difference between the Fibonacci sequence and the F2 sequence).

Those look like they're valid questions, even though they cannot be answered by the techniques you'd use to determine what n(x) is at any point given sufficient prior values.

I agree the question of why the universe is like this rather than any other formation is (presumably) valid to a cosmologist, but is not the question I am talking about - which was the question of whether an eternal universe can be as easily disproved as YEC. As far as I can see, an infinite looping universe is unprovable but fits the available information and answers the question of origins by saying there was no origin. YEC does none of those things and requires one to ignore the available evidence.

--------------------
arse

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I agree the question of why the universe is like this rather than any other formation is (presumably) valid to a cosmologist, but is not the question I am talking about - which was the question of whether an eternal universe can be as easily disproved as YEC.

As far as I could tell, nobody was talking about YEC.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Can one not decide that the answer to the question "what is the ultimate purpose of my existence?" be "no purpose at all"? Would such an answer be equally religious in nature as something like "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever"?

One can – and it would be if religion were defined in such a way as to accommodate it.

quote:
@Hugh. You said

Generally, where the state provides a level of protection against the consequences of old age, poor health, unemployment etc. fewer people demonstrate a need for supernatural beliefs

Sorry mate, you're well out of date on this one. The rise if faith in general has coincided with a growth in prosperity. You see it in Africa, Latin America, Africa and the Far East. In Turkey and India, modernisation has helped create an upwardly mobile bourgeoisie who are the most fervent supporters of the religious parties. I gave you the reference to China. The evidence is there if you want to do your homework.

In how many of these countries are the masses (not the bourgeoisie) being provided with real security - decent minimum wage levels, tax credits for poor workers, child benefits, meaningful old age pensions, affordable high quality healthcare? The upwardly mobile may support religion as a tool of their elitism - that doesn't mean they follow its precepts. Religion is still too often one of the opiates of the masses.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
my point is that where personal uncertainty increases so does recourse to the supernatural. That this is commonly accepted is illustrated by the constant, and very silly, repetition of “there are no atheists in foxholes”.

If 'there are no atheists in foxholes' is silly then it does not illustrate your point. If you use silly evidence to illustrate a point, that shows that the point itself is silly.

Really, you're engaging in Just So stories here. The little sociological research that I'm aware of tends to reject such single factor causes

The fact that religious people often claim that there are no atheists in foxholes shows that they agree with my point - that where personal uncertainty increases so does recourse to the supernatural. The actual reference to atheists in foxholes is silly - but that does not mean that the misused concept behind it is invalid. And no - little is caused by a single factor, but I doubt you'd recommend ignoring personal hygiene because disease can be spread in a variety of ways.
quote:
It is also a possible explanation for the alliance of some businessmen and some religious leaders in the US who spend vast amounts of time and money trying to prevent the poorer citizens gaining increased peace of mind regarding their health needs.
quote:
This attributes a degree of self-awareness to the leaders of the religious right that does not appear warranted.

Then why do they spend so much time and effort opposing things that would benefit their flocks?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo--

The different wording for the first question was a) sloppy writing on my part; and b) I remembered the phrase "uncaused cause" from certain Old Dead Greek Dudes. [Biased] No reference to the Summa intended.

Barnabas--

Thanks for the link.

mr. cheesy--

I'm not necessarily against your Constantly Cycling Thing--but where did it come from?

Not when did it begin its cycling. But--thinking of it as a discrete thing--where did it come from?

And no, I wasn't pushing YEC at all. I'm MOTR about how we got here, though I could cope if YEC turned out to be true.

I was just saying that whether you (gen.) go with non-theistic evolution, steady state, a Constantly Cycling Thing, all the technicolor flavors of some sort of theistic creation, etc., you wind up saying "Stop here, and don't go any further back".

Because without that limit, it's "Turtles All The Way Down".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

@Hugh writes

In how many of these countries are the masses (not the bourgeoisie) being provided with real security - decent minimum wage levels, tax credits for poor workers, child benefits, meaningful old age pensions, affordable high quality healthcare? The upwardly mobile may support religion as a tool of their elitism - that doesn't mean they follow its precepts. Religion is still too often one of the opiates of the masses.

So the poor are believers because they don't have the best of modern social protection, and the bourgeoisie are beleivers because it supports their elitism. Who does that leave out?

You'd be a tad more credible if you could recognise when your arguments don't stack up.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Dyfed, see this post top of this page:

quote:

I dispute the idea that an eternal universe has been comprehensively rubbished as has YEC.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

mr. cheesy--

I'm not necessarily against your Constantly Cycling Thing--but where did it come from?

Not when did it begin its cycling. But--thinking of it as a discrete thing--where did it come from?

Nowhere. An eternal universe is exactly what it says - a universe which has always existed. Even before moment of the beginning of time (the Big Bang), the constituents of the universe existed.

Maybe my teenage interest in SciFi makes this idea far easier for me to grasp than others in this thread, I don't know.

quote:
And no, I wasn't pushing YEC at all. I'm MOTR about how we got here, though I could cope if YEC turned out to be true.
I could not cope if YEC turned out to be true for reasons discussed on these boards ad nauseum. One simply has to ignore the evidence to postulate anything approaching a cosmology that is less than 10,000 years old.

But then, I was not accusing anyone of believing in YEC, I was simply trying to assert that the evidence has not, and could not, disprove the idea of an eternal universe and that it is an explanation which fits the available evidence - unlike YEC which ignores it.

quote:
I was just saying that whether you (gen.) go with non-theistic evolution, steady state, a Constantly Cycling Thing, all the technicolor flavors of some sort of theistic creation, etc., you wind up saying "Stop here, and don't go any further back".
Nope, that is totally not what I'm saying. I am saying the universe is cyclical, there is no 'back' to go to.

All the stuff in the universe constantly existed and just periodically bangs and contracts, creating time and setting off the processes we see in the cosmos today. Eventually that all contracts and the process starts again.

In this schemata, there is no 'beginning' of all the stuff, it just always was and always will be.

Again, if one is able to comprehend a deity which always existed and was at no point created, apply the same logic to the existence of everything in the universe. All I'm saying is that the status of matter is constantly in flux whilst the existence of such things is a constant.

quote:
Because without that limit, it's "Turtles All The Way Down".
Not really the same thing at all, although thanks for the memory of Discworld again [Big Grin]

[ 23. March 2015, 07:45: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
The fact that religious people often claim that there are no atheists in foxholes shows that they agree with my point - that where personal uncertainty increases so does recourse to the supernatural. The actual reference to atheists in foxholes is silly - but that does not mean that the misused concept behind it is invalid.

Yes, it does, or would, mean that the concept behind it is invalid. If David Cameron gets up and says that UKIP's worries about immigration are ignorant rabble-rousing, but they show immigration is out of control, we would rightly think he is being insincere somewhere. He can either say UKIP is engaged in ignorant rabble-rousing or say UKIP are right to express concern, but not argue both lines at once.

(I could also ask you to quantify 'often' in your first sentence. How 'often' is 'often'?)

Are you actually drawing on any recent sociological research, covering the range of the literature? Or is this something that came out of some atheist polemicist's head fifty years ago?

quote:
quote:
This attributes a degree of self-awareness to the leaders of the religious right that does not appear warranted.
Then why do they spend so much time and effort opposing things that would benefit their flocks?
As an outsider, it is my understanding that it's the outcome of a historical trajectory that largely boils down to: a) opposition to communism; and b) slavery and racism. Black religious leaders do not generally oppose these measures, as I understand it.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
@Hugh writes

So the poor are believers because they don't have the best of modern social protection, and the bourgeoisie are beleivers because it supports their elitism. Who does that leave out?

You'd be a tad more credible if you could recognise when your arguments don't stack up.

I don't see the contradiction here. This kind of analysis sees religion as sanctifying the social hierarchy - the rich man in his castle, and so on. So each level of society appears to gain something, although the analysis would say an illusory benefit. Other types of analysis are available!

--------------------

Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
Alas, this thread is bound for nowhere. The faithful are very difficult to impeach: they can claim in all honesty and sincerity about accepting scientific facts. However, they always have a special card up their sleeves, which I call The Doctrine of Infinite Exceptions. The fact that there is not only no evidence for God, but no evidence for their miracle claims either (healing, walking on water, etc.) does not bother them. They can merely say "ah, the obscurity and lack of evidence is all part of God's magical plan"—and your questioning the fact that there is no evidence only fulfils what they see as prophetic words from the Bible or Christian thinkers that reason is an enemy of God. Knowing this, they can always play that card.

It makes real dialogue between Humanists (as an example) and the religiously convicted extremely difficult. If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to convince them to value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, then what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?

K.

The claim that "there is no evidence for God" is a claim -- not a fact ...
It could only be adjusted to allow that we do not know of any evidence. I suppose it is possible that there is evidence somewhere that has yet to be discovered. It's surely important to be open to new discovery, I agree.

Let's shuffle off to Dead Horses if you want to discuss whether or not there is a god or gods.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't understand what IngoB wrote above, but one who believes in an eternal universe is emphatically not in the same boat, because there is no beginning or end, the thing is just constantly cycling. There is no need to explain where the big bang came from - as it was from the debris of the previous universe. I don't really see why this so difficult to grasp.

The most famous proponent of the classical cosmological argument, St Thomas Aquinas, is also famous for arguing that one cannot philosophically demonstrate that the world had a beginning. That immediately tells you that the classical cosmological argument does not rely at all on the universe having a beginning, unlike the modern versions of for example William Craig.

An endlessly recycling universe explains every next temporal state in terms of the previous temporal state. And I agree, you can extend that back to the past infinitely in time (and forward to the future infinitely as well) without logical contradiction. But if you now look at the entire infinite recycling series of universes as a whole, then you still have not answered why it all is there rather than not.

If your universe consisted of a single bottle, that got filled, used, smashed, its glass melted and reshaped into a bottle, then this could endlessly repeat. Here we ignore for the sake of argument where the water that fills the bottle comes from, what supports the fire that melts the glass, etc., i.e., we strip these things away from the analogy. Then we can indeed say that the bottle now is caused by an infinite series of prior recycled bottles. But what you have not explained is how come that there is such a bottle and such a recycling process at all! That's a different kind of question, it does not probe the sequence of changes to the bottle and how they connect together. You can say that the bottle is formed out of the molten glass. That does answer one kind of question about what is happening, but it cannot answer another kind of question. Namely, it cannot answer what make the molten glass and the bottle, and the change from one to the other, exist at all. Since they could not be there, we have to explain why they are there. Graphically:
code:
... --> molten glass --> new bottle --> filled bottle --> empty bottle --> ...
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
| | | | | | | | |
being being being being being being being being being

You can not try to address this "support of being" question in terms of more "fundamental" units. So maybe you talk about molecules, and then atoms, and then quarks or whatever to replace the "being" in the above
code:
... --> new bottle --> ...
^
|
molecules
^
|
atoms
^
|
quarks
^
|
:
:
^
|
???

and you could add at every level relevant "physical law" or indeed at some point consider these laws as some kind of supporting reality themselves. The problem is that this sequence of "support of being" is like a pillar that props up the causal series of changes to your bottle, see the previous diagram. And this kind of series one cannot logically extend to infinity. Because it is not a series in time, it is one in "explanation". We explain the bottle in terms of its molecules, the molecules in terms of the atoms, the atoms in terms of the quarks, etc. But we have to stop somewhere, or in the end we explain nothing. Really all this does is to move our gaze from the bottle to the most fundamental supporting thing, and then we can still ask the very same question about that, whatever it may be: why is that there then, rather than nothing. And the only way we can stop this questioning process is by saying that right at the bottom of it all must be something that necessarily exists. Something which is defined precisely by saying that the reason why it is is that its essence is to be. We do not say this because we know what this may be, rather we are using a process of exclusion: since it is impossible that this explanatory series goes on forever, at the bottom of the "pillar of being" must be a necessary being, an "ender-of-the-why-question", an entity that requires no explanation for its being because its very nature is to be.

And that is what we classically mean by the "uncaused Cause". One can then argue that this entity is God, or more accurately, that theistic conceptions of God are compatible with this, so that one can identify this with God, some god, if one so pleases. But the idea of the "uncaused Cause" is basically to define the necessary endpoint to questions of origin, the ultimate support of existence. One can also critique this kind of argument, of course, though I personally don't think that anybody has succeeded against it. But the important point here is that for this kind of argument it is completely irrelevant whether the universe has a beginning, i.e., whether in the first diagram on the left hand side the dots extend back to an infinite past or just a finite one. This kind of argument is about saying that in the second diagram the dots cannot extend infinitely deep down. This classical cosmological argument is "orthogonal" to arguments that invoke the "Big Bang".

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

No, we are not. And your very own words show that... You had to modify your question when talking about the "uncaused Cause", and that is no accident. The thrust of the question has been deflected, since the point of being "uncaused" is basically not coming from anywhere at any time. And if we continue our queries, then we indeed ask practically how such an entity can be, i.e., we ask what characteristics the "uncaused Cause" must have in order to be able to exist as an "uncaused Cause". That's exactly the classical path of discussion that you can find in the Summa Theologiae: first show the necessity of an "uncaused Cause", then show what it necessarily must be like.
I'm not sure whether I'm about to agree or disagree with you here, but I think we are all in the same boat that we all have to account either for an ultimate beginning, or for something which is beginningless.

Since none of us have anything in our direct experience which is beginningless (or otherwise uncaused), we are all in the position of having to believe something (at least provisionally) that we cannot comprehend. The analogy to a mathematical infinite series extending forward and back is of limited conceptual help (to me at least) - I agree that in principle the series itself has no beginning, but to say the universe has no beginning is like trying to imagine some immortal mathematician reading out an infinite series of numbers and never having started with one particular number.

The advantage that a theistic 'uncaused cause' has, it seems to me, is to be by definition some completely different category of 'thing' to anything else in the physical/material/temporal universe. I can't comprehend it, but I can see immediately why I ought not to be able to comprehend it (and, indeed, why no finite intelligence ever could). God eternally existing isn't conceptually the same thing as an infinite series of past events. I can meaningfully ask (or so it seems to me) of an eternal or uncaused universe, "what would that have looked like if an observer like me had been around to witness events 'before'?" and when I do I find that this meaningful question has no meaningful answer. Whereas I don't think I can meaningfully ask what an observer like me would have seen given the opportunity to enquire into the origins of God.

Reading that back, I'm not sure its all that clear. I mean something like - my question about "What happened at the big bang?" is not rendered meaningless just because there were in fact no people about to see it, or because as a matter of causative process there couldn't have been - the event (or series of events) was a physical occurrence and it is conceptually possible for physical occurrences to be witnessed. Whereas God is eternal and incomprehensible by definition - he isn't the sort of thing even susceptible to explanation of the "this is what I would have seen" sort.

So I think we're stuck with incomprehension either way - theistic or non-theistic - but the theistic account at least locates the incomprehension properly in something that we can see must be incomprehensible. The non-theistic "it just is" is harder for me to accept than anything which I have to assume on theistic grounds.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

IngoB, thanks that is an interesting and well-argued explanation.

But again, I think it can simply be answered that it is what it is. Maybe there are practical reasons why the universe operates in this way rather than in any other way - or maybe at each Big Bang in the cycle the universe is created to a set of random standards, I have no idea.

As far as I can understand these things, the existence of the bottle (in your analogue) maybe does not need explaining: it just is, has been and will be for ever. The physical constituents of the bottle are there today because they have always been there.

Again, with the obvious proviso that I am not in any way a cosmologist, I don't really see why we have to explain the "uncaused Cause" if there is an eternal universe. If everything is in fact donut shaped rather than linear, perhaps we are actually living on the debris that our own universe will eventually be recreated from. Then the universe would be the creator/precursor of itself.

--------------------
arse

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am saying the universe is cyclical, there is no 'back' to go to.

What do you mean by "cyclic"? Is each 'Big Bang' the same actual event or not?

If you mean that the universe is cyclic in a sort of life-cycle sense (egg-caterpillar-cocoon-butterfly-egg...) you might be right that there could be an infinitely repeating pattern, but each egg is still a different egg. The fact that, as a matter of detail, the infinite past contains an infinite number of points resembling one another and through which no specific information about prior states can pass does not make any real material difference to the difficulty in conceiving a real infinite series of past events with no beginning.

I suppose you might be saying that time itself is cyclic - that there is exactly one Big Bang event, which it will always be true to say we both came from and are heading towards. That would be a different way of describing a beginningless universe, but not, it seems to me, an explanation of it.

So far it is not clear to me which you mean - what would a hypothetical observer see? The process repeating infinitely many times (with or without observable variation each time), or one process, not 'repeated' but self-contained in one circular causative loop?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Nicely done, IngoB. That's what I was grasping for (and missing) in my "debris" question.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:

Since none of us have anything in our direct experience which is beginningless (or otherwise uncaused), we are all in the position of having to believe something (at least provisionally) that we cannot comprehend. The analogy to a mathematical infinite series extending forward and back is of limited conceptual help (to me at least) - I agree that in principle the series itself has no beginning, but to say the universe has no beginning is like trying to imagine some immortal mathematician reading out an infinite series of numbers and never having started with one particular number.

Interesting, but I don't understand the problem with imagining a mathematician engaging with an infinite series somewhere in the middle. This is the nature of biology (and essentially any observed science), isn't it?

quote:
The advantage that a theistic 'uncaused cause' has, it seems to me, is to be by definition some completely different category of 'thing' to anything else in the physical/material/temporal universe. I can't comprehend it, but I can see immediately why I ought not to be able to comprehend it (and, indeed, why no finite intelligence ever could). God eternally existing isn't conceptually the same thing as an infinite series of past events. I can meaningfully ask (or so it seems to me) of an eternal or uncaused universe, "what would that have looked like if an observer like me had been around to witness events 'before'?" and when I do I find that this meaningful question has no meaningful answer. Whereas I don't think I can meaningfully ask what an observer like me would have seen given the opportunity to enquire into the origins of God.
I don't understand this. What are you saying about the person of the deity that is different to cosmology? Why is it harder to believe that all things (in the universe) are eternal rather than that an individual is eternal? Maybe you'll explain more below..

quote:
Reading that back, I'm not sure its all that clear. I mean something like - my question about "What happened at the big bang?" is not rendered meaningless just because there were in fact no people about to see it, or because as a matter of causative process there couldn't have been - the event (or series of events) was a physical occurrence and it is conceptually possible for physical occurrences to be witnessed.
I don't understand why 'what happened at the Big Bang" is a meaningless question.

quote:
Whereas God is eternal and incomprehensible by definition - he isn't the sort of thing even susceptible to explanation of the "this is what I would have seen" sort.
But isn't that an assertion? If we can conceive of a universe that is created from the ruins of itself, maybe we could understand the general nature of God. I still don't see why it is that the one is infinitely incomprehensible whereas the other is understandable.

quote:
So I think we're stuck with incomprehension either way - theistic or non-theistic - but the theistic account at least locates the incomprehension properly in something that we can see must be incomprehensible. The non-theistic "it just is" is harder for me to accept than anything which I have to assume on theistic grounds.
OK, I appreciate the honesty - basically you are saying (I think) that it is easier to put the creation of the universe onto an incomprehensible deity rather than accept it is all a merry-go-round which functions on its own.

Personally, I don't think it is a whole lot different.
quote:

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
What do you mean by "cyclic"? Is each 'Big Bang' the same actual event or not?

Time was, apparently, started at the Big Bang, so we have all kinds of problems using terms like 'before' the existence of time. Maybe the point before the Big Bang was the crunch of our own universe. Think donut.

quote:
If you mean that the universe is cyclic in a sort of life-cycle sense (egg-caterpillar-cocoon-butterfly-egg...) you might be right that there could be an infinitely repeating pattern, but each egg is still a different egg.
I think it is easier to use IngoB's bottle analogue from above. Each bottle is produced from exactly the same materials.

quote:
The fact that, as a matter of detail, the infinite past contains an infinite number of points resembling one another and through which no specific information about prior states can pass does not make any real material difference to the difficulty in conceiving a real infinite series of past events with no beginning.
Erm. No, sorry, that's beyond me.

quote:
I suppose you might be saying that time itself is cyclic - that there is exactly one Big Bang event, which it will always be true to say we both came from and are heading towards. That would be a different way of describing a beginningless universe, but not, it seems to me, an explanation of it.
Well, isn't it? Why is that not an explanation?

quote:
So far it is not clear to me which you mean - what would a hypothetical observer see? The process repeating infinitely many times (with or without observable variation each time), or one process, not 'repeated' but self-contained in one circular causative loop?
Either or both. Maybe the loop contains many (an infinite number of) chains or maybe it is an elastic band with the end joined to the beginning. I don't really see that either changes the possibility that all things in the universe are eternal.

[ 23. March 2015, 10:37: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
As far as I can understand these things, the existence of the bottle (in your analogue) maybe does not need explaining: it just is, has been and will be for ever. The physical constituents of the bottle are there today because they have always been there.

Once more, that's the wrong direction of argument (horizontal in my diagrams). If you say "it's there because it always has been there (if in other forms)", then you are thinking about the "time" direction. I'm thinking about the "explanation / possibility" direction (vertical in my diagrams). The universe could not have been. Even an endless cyclical universe could not have been. But it is. I'm asking "why?" That's not a "why" that can be answered by "has been, is, will be". I don't care whether this thing lasts for a picosecond, an eon, or indeed forever. However long it may last, this existence itself still could not have been, but is. And that requires an explanation.

Now you can say that the existence of the universe (whether eternally cyclical or not) is just a "brute fact". That there is "no reason" for that. Two things need to be said about that: First, that is exactly why I say that atheism (or at least atheistic materialism) is less rational than theism (or at least Creator-ism). Because the latter can affirm all the reasoning of the former, but claims additionally reason even for the existence of all things. Personally, I'm a theist intellectually because I'm an optimist about human reason, i.e., I think we are right in thinking that the existence of everything has a reason. Second, obviously we cannot simply assign "brute fact" status to just everything we like, or we completely destroy all human knowledge and know how. Why is the sky blue? Brute fact. Why do teeth rot? Brute fact. Why did the car's motor fail? Brute fact. Etc. That doesn't work, that just makes us utterly stupid. Practically speaking, we do not "brute fact" most of the world. Thus the person wishing to apply brute-fact-ness as a kind of exit strategy from in depth questioning must give reason why one can sensibly attribute brute fact status to certain things. And that reason cannot just be "because it conveniently shuts up the questioner". Until such an explanation is forthcoming, this is IMHO simply not a valid intellectual move. It is merely rhetoric, it is merely assuming as given that which one cannot motivate, and then fronting hard about it.

So I will say to this "brute fact" approach to the existence of the universe: First, I personally don't want it. I am too optimistic about human reason to accept it. Second, if you want it, you need to work for it. A simply declaration is not enough to establish it.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Once more, that's the wrong direction of argument (horizontal in my diagrams). If you say "it's there because it always has been there (if in other forms)", then you are thinking about the "time" direction. I'm thinking about the "explanation / possibility" direction (vertical in my diagrams). The universe could not have been. Even an endless cyclical universe could not have been. But it is. I'm asking "why?" That's not a "why" that can be answered by "has been, is, will be". I don't care whether this thing lasts for a picosecond, an eon, or indeed forever. However long it may last, this existence itself still could not have been, but is. And that requires an explanation.

I think you are making an assertion that it could not have been. I am saying it is because it was. I agree with your other points about language, but you are asking for an explanation for something that does not need an explanation (well, not necessarily) IMO.

quote:
Now you can say that the existence of the universe (whether eternally cyclical or not) is just a "brute fact". That there is "no reason" for that. Two things need to be said about that: First, that is exactly why I say that atheism (or at least atheistic materialism) is less rational than theism (or at least Creator-ism). Because the latter can affirm all the reasoning of the former, but claims additionally reason even for the existence of all things. Personally, I'm a theist intellectually because I'm an optimist about human reason, i.e., I think we are right in thinking that the existence of everything has a reason. Second, obviously we cannot simply assign "brute fact" status to just everything we like, or we completely destroy all human knowledge and know how. Why is the sky blue? Brute fact. Why do teeth rot? Brute fact. Why did the car's motor fail? Brute fact. Etc. That doesn't work, that just makes us utterly stupid. Practically speaking, we do not "brute fact" most of the world. Thus the person wishing to apply brute-fact-ness as a kind of exit strategy from in depth questioning must give reason why one can sensibly attribute brute fact status to certain things. And that reason cannot just be "because it conveniently shuts up the questioner". Until such an explanation is forthcoming, this is IMHO simply not a valid intellectual move. It is merely rhetoric, it is merely assuming as given that which one cannot motivate, and then fronting hard about it.
Again, I am not a cosmologist. But I am a scientist and the things you mention here can be explained with science, deduction, observation and logic. That in-and-of itself does not mean that the ultimate reality of the universe is the same kind of thing.

Of course, neither of us can know, but it clearly is not just rhetoric if it is actually true. If the universe is composed of stuff constantly being rearranged from components which always existed, then the question of where the stuff came from is moot: it was always there. Hence the term eternal.

quote:
So I will say to this "brute fact" approach to the existence of the universe: First, I personally don't want it. I am too optimistic about human reason to accept it. Second, if you want it, you need to work for it. A simply declaration is not enough to establish it.
I respect your right not to like it, I also do not like the idea that my life is a speck of sand on the great seashore of the universe.

But I don't accept your continued assertion that work is necessary to explain something that is eternal. You don't have to like or believe it, but an eternal thing is exactly that: eternal. Where it came from or why is answered by the simple repetition that it is eternal.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

code:
... --> new bottle --> ...
^
|
molecules
^
|
atoms
^
|
quarks
^
|
:
:
^
|
???

On this rather beautiful bit of code, wouldn't it be rather marvellous if one could go down and down and down and down and then find that the smallest components of all reality are also the biggest? Maybe if we look hard enough we'll find the universe.

But probably not, that'd be very weird.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016