homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Introducing me. There are no gods or supernatural! (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Introducing me. There are no gods or supernatural!
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or has the OP silently slipped away?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Is it just me, or has the OP silently slipped away?

"absconditus" …
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the snark was a boojum, you see.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So hard to find good atheists with the courage of their convictions.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five posts and out. Such a pity; he really didn't give himself a proper chance.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if our resident atheists have a thought about whether this guy might have made a useful addition to the ship, or if he was just an embarrassment to their ranks?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he was dismayed that Christians didn't throw the Atheist to the lions? I think he came expecting a fight.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Poor lamb.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Five posts and out. Such a pity; he really didn't give himself a proper chance.

"I don't want to go in the cart … I'm feeling better … I think I'll go for a walk … I feel happyyyy … !!!"
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he was raptured! [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fool:
I am interested in what makes sensible grown adults believe in the supernatural despite the fact that there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that the supernatural exists and plenty of proof that if it does it has never manifested its self in any way at all beyond the imagination of its adherents .

To return to Fool's original question, during my 46 year Christian journey, which began at the age of 15, I've come to appreciate the words of the anonymous writer of the medieval English mystical tract "The Cloud of Unknowing" when he said of God "By love may He be gotten and holden, but by thought never." From a thinking aspect I'm quite agnostic, in that I think God's existence or not, is both unknown and completely unknowable in our present condition. But I feel Him in my heart as a living and guiding presence, who leads me further into a life of devotion.

It's only now, in the autumn of my years, that I'm able to reconcile and harmonise the tension of living in that state. I am at one with the psalmist whi writes of a longing for God, which, in my case gets stronger all the time. I disagree with Fools's assertion that the supernatural has never manifested itself beyond our imagination. Whether or not one believes in miracles, the collective life of the Jewish people from the slavery of Egypt to the freedom as God's children in the promised land, and even more importantly Christ's submission to the world, in odedience to Our Father, are all the Theophany I need to help me on my journey.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Ahem. This thread is not for speculation as to Fool's whereabouts, state of mind, and so forth, especially not when such speculation descends into the territory of personal attack.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:

I'm not sure the 2nd Law of thermodynamics applies to the spiritual world.

Unless you're capable of weighing and Angel and determining its calorific requirement to fly from the third level of Heaven to Grimsby and back... Then the calculation just requires that some unit of distance is defined. I forsee a lot of difficulties.

Do angels make that journey often? Good angel food cake and Starbuck's coffee in Grimsby? Or does a barista slip them some devil's food cake in a brown paper bag?

As to thermodynamics and the spiritual world, I just had to look that up! [Smile] So I searched on "metaphysics law of thermodynamics", sometimes adding "spiritual". Some odd and interesting stuff out there! Samples:

Biblical evidence for Catholicism: Current Models in Cosmological Physics Concerning the Origin of the Universe (Dark Energy & Matter, Etc.), & Their Interaction With Metaphysics.

And this one is "passing strange"!
Metabolic Metaphysics--Entropy: Nature's Preferred Direction?

Nice links - thankyou - Entropy doesn't work for nature because we are dissipative structures - we cream off a small amount of the energy flowing from the sun. Prigogine & Stengers. I think that is a correct analogy metaphysically as well - there is a continuous flow of Love from God and we exist because we are both created and sustained by it, just like a small eddy in a stream is sustained by the flow of the stream.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
quote:
Originally posted by Fool:
I am interested in what makes sensible grown adults believe in the supernatural despite the fact that there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that the supernatural exists and plenty of proof that if it does it has never manifested its self in any way at all beyond the imagination of its adherents .

To return to Fool's original question, during my 46 year Christian journey, which began at the age of 15, I've come to appreciate the words of the anonymous writer of the medieval English mystical tract "The Cloud of Unknowing" when he said of God "By love may He be gotten and holden, but by thought never." From a thinking aspect I'm quite agnostic, in that I think God's existence or not, is both unknown and completely unknowable in our present condition. But I feel Him in my heart as a living and guiding presence, who leads me further into a life of devotion.

It's only now, in the autumn of my years, that I'm able to reconcile and harmonise the tension of living in that state. I am at one with the psalmist whi writes of a longing for God, which, in my case gets stronger all the time. I disagree with Fools's assertion that the supernatural has never manifested itself beyond our imagination. Whether or not one believes in miracles, the collective life of the Jewish people from the slavery of Egypt to the freedom as God's children in the promised land, and even more importantly Christ's submission to the world, in odedience to Our Father, are all the Theophany I need to help me on my journey.

[Overused]

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Teilhard: But, yes, there are some scoffer-skeptical materialist atheists who float the claim that at least in principle, all of life, the universe and everything -- including the vagaries of history -- can eventually be reduced to an equation or set of equations …
Then they still would need to explain where these equations come from.
No they wouldn't. The equations are descriptive, not prescriptive. They describe what things do. The things themselves do not need to have any equations in order to do the "right" thing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what supernatural means really; isn't it possible to conceive of the transcendent without invoking the supernatural? But maybe I am straying into paganism!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I'm not sure what supernatural means really; isn't it possible to conceive of the transcendent without invoking the supernatural? But maybe I am straying into paganism!

The word 'supernatural' is philosophically problematic. Originally it means something is performing a task that is more complex than its inherent nature allows. Balaam's donkey is supernatural when it speaks, not because it is a miracle but because donkeys cannot speak. Arguably a guide dog is supernatural, because it has been trained to assist its guide in a way in which dogs do not normally know how to assist pack members. God is not supernatural since there is no taks that is more complex than God's inherent nature allows.
That meaning is now almost defunct.

These days it means entities outside the competence of science as presently understood. Rigourously defined, anything supernatural doesn't exist by definition: if ghosts do exist somebody could set up a branch of science to study them and therefore they wouldn't be supernatural. (The exception being God who is outside the remit of any possible body of organised knowledge.)
C.S.Lewis in his history of the meaning of words, says that the word 'supernatural' means something about which you would feel the moods you'd feel in reading a ghost story.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: No they wouldn't. The equations are descriptive, not prescriptive. They describe what things do. The things themselves do not need to have any equations in order to do the "right" thing.
Alright, let me formulate it in another way. They (the materialists) would still need to explain why things behave in the way that is described by these equations. They would need to say why things do the 'right' thing.

Suppose for a moment that we'd live in a simple Newtonian universe, described by the equation F=m⋅a. The conversation could go like this.

A: Why does this particle behave in this way?
B: F=m⋅a
A: But where does this equation come from?
B: Equations are descriptive, not prescriptive.
A: But why does the particle behave in such a way that its movements are described by F=m⋅a?

That's a valid question. And Science cannot claim that it can fully explain the Universe without answering it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two things:

First, I'm not sure anyone is claiming to be able to totally explain the origins of the universe.

Second, it is possible to suggest that those equations only work because we happen to be in the universe where they work.

Maybe that is just an eternal constant. There is no need for further explanation, it just is.

Or maybe each Big Bang randomly produces new sets of constants in a different type of space-time.

We might think there is something special about the constants we have, when in reality we have just obtained them by something random, or as a result of the fact that they're eternal.

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

The word 'supernatural' is philosophically problematic. Originally it means something is performing a task that is more complex than its inherent nature allows. Balaam's donkey is supernatural when it speaks, not because it is a miracle but because donkeys cannot speak. Arguably a guide dog is supernatural, because it has been trained to assist its guide in a way in which dogs do not normally know how to assist pack members. God is not supernatural since there is no taks that is more complex than God's inherent nature allows.
That meaning is now almost defunct.

These days it means entities outside the competence of science as presently understood. Rigourously defined, anything supernatural doesn't exist by definition: if ghosts do exist somebody could set up a branch of science to study them and therefore they wouldn't be supernatural. (The exception being God who is outside the remit of any possible body of organised knowledge.)
C.S.Lewis in his history of the meaning of words, says that the word 'supernatural' means something about which you would feel the moods you'd feel in reading a ghost story.

But surely science is ontology-free; it does not concern itself with reality or truth.

But I was also thinking of the 'new mysterians', who seem to argue that science may never describe consciousness, but that does not translate as supernatural, does it?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The word 'supernatural' is philosophically problematic. Originally it means something is performing a task that is more complex than its inherent nature allows. Balaam's donkey is supernatural when it speaks, not because it is a miracle but because donkeys cannot speak.

This is not quite the traditional meaning of "supernatural" as used by the Roman Catholic Church. Rather:
quote:
"Grace: Commentary on the Summa Theologica of St. Thomas" by Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.
The supernatural, according to the Catholic Church, is that which is above all created nature; which, although it exceeds the powers and requirements of any nature created or capable of being created, does not exceed the passive capacity of perfectibility and aptitude of our nature. (Cf. Denz, nos. 1790, 1795, 1808, 1816; Garrigou-Lagrange, De revelatione, I, 193, 197, 202.)

Moreover, according to the Church, supernaturalness is at least twofold, namely:
  1. The supernaturalness of miracles, which surpasses the efficient powers and requirements of any created nature, but not, however, the cognitive powers of human nature. (Denz, nos. 1790, 1818.)
  2. The supernaturalness of mysteries strictly speaking and of the life of grace and glory is that which surpasses not only the efficient powers and requirements of any created nature, but also the cognitive and appetitive powers (or natural merit) of any intellectual nature created or capable of being created.
This division of supernaturalness may be otherwise expressed according to the terminology rather generally accepted among theologians, thus:
  • The absolute supernatural exceeding the powers and requirements of any created nature
    • with respect to substance or the formal cause
      • uncreated, substantial of itself
        • God in the most intimate sense of His Divinity and Trinity.
        • The uncreated person of the Word subsisting in the human nature of Christ.
      • created (accidental)
        • Habitual and actual grace, the infused virtues, the gifts of the Holy Ghost (supernatural by virtue of their formal object).
    • with respect to the manner or to the extrinsic causes, that is, in the manner both of its extrinsic disposition and of its production
      • in regard to the end
        • Natural act, such as acquired temperance, as supernaturally ordered by charity to a supernatural end.
      • in regard to the efficient cause (Ia, q. 105, a. 8)
        • The miraculous substantially (the glorification of the body or prophecy).
        • The miraculous subjectively (nonglorified resurrection, the knowledge of the secrets of heart).
        • The miraculous modally (sudden cure of a fever, the gift of tongues).

Thus Balaam's donkey speaking is a supernatural miracle, just as common sense would dictate: it is supernatural subjectively ("the donkey ...") in regard to the end ("... speaks ...") and the efficient cause ("... by the power of God"). No created being (whether existent now or imaginable) could have made that donkey talk, only God could, hence it is supernatural. But not in the sense that it surpasses our natural cognitive powers (we hear the donkey talk).

So if we ask once more in a common sense "what is supernatural?", then there are two different answers, depending on what exactly one means by that. If we mean all occurrences inexplicable in terms the natural (created) entities and powers, then there are many supernatural things: all the miracles, the sacraments, etc. If we mean who can be a supernatural actor, then by definition there is only one: God. Any and all of the many supernatural manifestations are due to God alone, since God alone is supernatural (uncreated).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mr cheesy: There is no need for further explanation, it just is.
No, "it just is" isn't an answer, it's an evasion of the question. (Going to a multiple universes doesn't help you either, it just moves the question to a different level.)

If you say that Science cannot explain everything, then we can shake hands, and we need to discuss no further. (I'm not claiming that religion can explain everything either.)

But if materialists claim that Science can explain everything, then they need to set the same standards for the question "why is there something instead of nothing?" (which is what this ultimately boils down to) as for all the other questions about the Universe.

If Science itself deems a certain kind of answer unacceptable for all other questions, it cannot suddenly find it acceptable for this question.

For example:
  • To the question "why does an apple fall to the ground", Science finds the answer "it just does" unacceptable.
  • To the question "why are there all these glimmering points in the night sky?", Science finds the answer "they just are" unacceptable.
  • To the question "why is there life on Earth?", Science finds the answer "it just is" unacceptable.
It isn't just me who finds these answers unacceptable, it is Science itself. Science can do much better than this, and in fact Science has been developped (gravity, evolution, astronomy ...) exactly by finding much better answers to these questions.

So, if Science itself finds "it just is" an unacceptable (insufficient) answer to all other questions, it cannot claim to have explained the Universe if it has answered an important question with "it just is".

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

It seems preferable to say, we don't know, and possibly, we may never know.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
This is not quite the traditional meaning of "supernatural" as used by the Roman Catholic Church. Rather:
quote:
"Grace: Commentary on the Summa Theologica of St. Thomas" by Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.
The supernatural, according to the Catholic Church, is that which is above all created nature; which, although it exceeds the powers and requirements of any nature created or capable of being created, does not exceed the passive capacity of perfectibility and aptitude of our nature. (Cf. Denz, nos. 1790, 1795, 1808, 1816; Garrigou-Lagrange, De revelatione, I, 193, 197, 202.)

This.

What does this suggest?

Does the universe operate according to a single set of fairly intractable & predictable mechanics?

Does it have two distinct systems, one operating as above, and the other to be called upon when its creator doesn't care for the way current events are trending, and wishes to obviate some particular outcome?

Does it have no real system at all, but a human capacity / sense for tidiness and order suggests one to us?

Does it have several competing systems?

Where does nature begin and end (and how do we determine this) when all we've got to go on are 5 senses plus mechanical extensions of same and laughably short life spans and limited imaginations? Criminy, we've only had writing for 5-6,000 years.

[code]

[ 25. March 2015, 12:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, "it just is" isn't an answer, it's an evasion of the question. (Going to a multiple universes doesn't help you either, it just moves the question to a different level.)

If you say that Science cannot explain everything, then we can shake hands, and we need to discuss no further. (I'm not claiming that religion can explain everything either.)

But if materialists claim that Science can explain everything, then they need to set the same standards for the question "why is there something instead of nothing?" (which is what this ultimately boils down to) as for all the other questions about the Universe.

I'm sorry, clearly you don't believe it and/or you don't understand the point, but it is still an answer: there is something because there was always something.

quote:
If Science itself deems a certain kind of answer unacceptable for all other questions, it cannot suddenly find it acceptable for this question.

For example:
  • To the question "why does an apple fall to the ground", Science finds the answer "it just does" unacceptable.
  • To the question "why are there all these glimmering points in the night sky?", Science finds the answer "they just are" unacceptable.
  • To the question "why is there life on Earth?", Science finds the answer "it just is" unacceptable.
It isn't just me who finds these answers unacceptable, it is Science itself. Science can do much better than this, and in fact Science has been developped (gravity, evolution, astronomy ...) exactly by finding much better answers to these questions.
The point is that as we are talking about something happening which is not capable of being interrogated by science (it happened before time began), it is purely in the realms of speculation, religion and philosophy. There is nothing which could be observed to prove or disprove the phenomena.

quote:
So, if Science itself finds "it just is" an unacceptable (insufficient) answer to all other questions, it cannot claim to have explained the Universe if it has answered an important question with "it just is".
Yeah, so you keep saying, but this is a (perhaps uniquely) different question given that we're talking about something which can only be speculated upon given the position we where we are - within a specific universe where time exists and without any experience of other universes or any ability to measure or observe anything outside of the thing we are within.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mr cheesy: I'm sorry, clearly you don't believe it and/or you don't understand the point, but it is still an answer: there is something because there was always something.
This just leads to another question: why was there always something?

quote:
mr cheesy: The point is that as we are talking about something happening which is not capable of being interrogated by science (it happened before time began), it is purely in the realms of speculation, religion and philosophy.
Okay, I have no problem if you admit that it's outside of the realm of Science.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
This just leads to another question: why was there always something?

Because.

Imagine you are talking about a deity that has pre-existed for eternity and apply the same logic to the universe instead. You can't answer questions about the origin of the deity, because there was no origin.

quote:
Okay, I have no problem if you admit that it's outside of the realm of Science.
I have said this all along.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mr cheesy: Because.
The same answer I would give as a child when my mother arrived home and asked me "Why is there chocolate around your mouth?"

quote:
mr cheesy: Imagine you are talking about a deity that has pre-existed for eternity and apply the same logic to the universe instead. You can't answer questions about the origin of the deity, because there was no origin.
I don't apply logic to a deity. I can't answer questions about the origin of the deity, because the deity is outside the realm described by logic.

--------------------

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
mr cheesy: Because.
The same answer I would give as a child when my mother arrived home and asked me "Why is there chocolate around your mouth?"

quote:
mr cheesy: Imagine you are talking about a deity that has pre-existed for eternity and apply the same logic to the universe instead. You can't answer questions about the origin of the deity, because there was no origin.
I don't apply logic to a deity. I can't answer questions about the origin of the deity, because the deity is outside the realm described by logic.

I would add to this that the logic around the explanation of God, and the logic around the explanation of the universe isn't the same logic. Any regression of causes needs a logical stopping point. If God exists, then by definition there can be no greater cause than himself. As IngoB pointed out above, God exists necessarily. If God exists at all, he exists because he has to, or he wouldn't be God.

You can't apply that logic to the universe. The universe doesn't have to exist (even if it is eternal) since its possible to conceive a state of affairs when nothing exists. Of if God exists, we can conceive of a state when the only existence in the universe is God himself.

The other problem with saying that the universe just is is this. Why just the universe? Why is it not the case that anything else that exists, also just is? As Le Roc says, we don't take that view with anything else in the universe, so by what logic should we make that assumption about the universe?

I think, Mr Cheesy, these are the conundrums you have to solve. The logic for God's existence won't work for the universe - you need something else. And you also need to account for the fact that it's only the universe itself that needs no explanation, and not any other observable thing we can think of.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Drewthealexander:
I would add to this that the logic around the explanation of God, and the logic around the explanation of the universe isn't the same logic. Any regression of causes needs a logical stopping point. If God exists, then by definition there can be no greater cause than himself. As IngoB pointed out above, God exists necessarily. If God exists at all, he exists because he has to, or he wouldn't be God.

How do you know a) that God has to exist and b) the universe does not?

quote:
You can't apply that logic to the universe. The universe doesn't have to exist (even if it is eternal) since its possible to conceive a state of affairs when nothing exists. Of if God exists, we can conceive of a state when the only existence in the universe is God himself.
There is no way that you can prove that assertion.

quote:

I think, Mr Cheesy, these are the conundrums you have to solve. The logic for God's existence won't work for the universe - you need something else. And you also need to account for the fact that it's only the universe itself that needs no explanation, and not any other observable thing we can think of.

No, you are just insisting on those for your own mental satisfaction. There is nothing else that is needed to explain an infinite anything by their very nature.

--------------------
arse

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be wrong to point out that the wisest teacher said "everything is meaningless"?

You can say the universe exists because you can see/ touch/ taste/ smell it or measure it in someway and repeat experiments for certain parts of the mechanics. You just can't say the reason whyexists (if it does have a reason other than it just happened this way).

Even if you can argue that a deity exists you cannot be certain from such an argument that the god so deduced is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Zeus or a flying spaghetti monster. Actually knowing God is dependant on something else entirely. So what is the point such a reasoning exercise?

Everything is meaningless.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:
Teilhard: But, yes, there are some scoffer-skeptical materialist atheists who float the claim that at least in principle, all of life, the universe and everything -- including the vagaries of history -- can eventually be reduced to an equation or set of equations …
Then they still would need to explain where these equations come from.
No they wouldn't. The equations are descriptive, not prescriptive. They describe what things do. The things themselves do not need to have any equations in order to do the "right" thing.
And to the dismay of the skeptic-scoffer atheists, the proposed equations would indeed be merely ONLY "descriptive," and not in any respect "explanatory," i.e., they would not begin to address Aristotle's question, "Why is there anything at all, rather than nothing … ???"

We might think of the proposed set of equations as giving loads of information about the engineering parameters and aerodynamic physics of a modern jet plane … but without the cockpit voice recorder, which gets to the really interesting stuff …

Life, the universe and everything (IMHO) is less about "numbers" and more about "words," and especially, THE Word ...

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
Would it be wrong to point out that the wisest teacher said "everything is meaningless"?

You can say the universe exists because you can see/ touch/ taste/ smell it or measure it in someway and repeat experiments for certain parts of the mechanics. You just can't say the reason whyexists (if it does have a reason other than it just happened this way).

Even if you can argue that a deity exists you cannot be certain from such an argument that the god so deduced is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Zeus or a flying spaghetti monster. Actually knowing God is dependant on something else entirely. So what is the point such a reasoning exercise?

Except … The Wise Teacher concluding her/his musings and advice thusly:

"Fear God and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of everyone. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
-- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Mr Cheesy. Last hurrah from me ol' son and I'll leave you in peace. You reckon the universe doesn't need an explanation of its existence because it's eternal. Doesn't work mate. You need more than that. You see, we're not talking about just any universe here, or universes in general, we're talking about this universe. This universe is made up in a particular way. The atoms are arranged in a certain order, the constants that hold it all together have closely defined strengths and ratios that keep it from all falling apart di dah di dah.

That's the point. This universe could have been arranged differently. With less energy to play with it could have been smaller, it could now be collapsing instead of expanding etc.

You can get away with an eternal universe that's contingent on God who's also eternal.

You need more than eternity on its own to explain our universe assume it's eternal. And you do need an explanation because it doesn't have to be the way it is.

Right - I'm off to put a wet towel around my head. Have fun with this.

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
quote:

"Fear God and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of everyone. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."

1 – there are reasonable grounds for doubting that either David or Solomon existed, and if either/both did it was probably only as the patriarch of an extended family occupying a small, politically insignificant territory. (Scholars advise that its construction suggests that Ecclesiastes was not written prior to 450BCE – Solomon is assumed to have reigned some 500 years earlier.

2 – the Teacher believes the earth to be eternal (1:4) - it isn't; views the sun as moving around the earth (1:5) - it doesn't; and would suffer cognitive dissonance if faced with a car, a computer, a CT scanner or a chocolate cup-cake (1:9/10). Since accuracy is hardly his strong point perhaps he's not the best source to rely upon for valid conclusions?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:
quote:

1 – there are reasonable grounds for doubting that either David or Solomon existed, and if either/both did it was probably only as the patriarch of an extended family occupying a small, politically insignificant territory. (Scholars advise that its construction suggests that Ecclesiastes was not written prior to 450BCE – Solomon is assumed to have reigned some 500 years earlier.

2 – the Teacher believes the earth to be eternal (1:4) - it isn't; views the sun as moving around the earth (1:5) - it doesn't; and would suffer cognitive dissonance if faced with a car, a computer, a CT scanner or a chocolate cup-cake (1:9/10). Since accuracy is hardly his strong point perhaps he's not the best source to rely upon for valid conclusions?

First of all, there is no reason to DOUBT that David and Solomon were historical figures …

Second, "Ecclesiastes" is obviously not a scientific treatise … so expecting it to be one and then dismissing it for not being such is hardly reasonable ...

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
@Mr Cheesy. Last hurrah from me ol' son and I'll leave you in peace. You reckon the universe doesn't need an explanation of its existence because it's eternal. Doesn't work mate. You need more than that. You see, we're not talking about just any universe here, or universes in general, we're talking about this universe. This universe is made up in a particular way. The atoms are arranged in a certain order, the constants that hold it all together have closely defined strengths and ratios that keep it from all falling apart di dah di dah.

Yes, but we are in this universe and we have no idea whether other universes are possible, hence we have no idea whether there is anything special about this universe compared to all the other possibilities. We are trying to observe the thing we are within and which we have nothing to compare to.

quote:
That's the point. This universe could have been arranged differently. With less energy to play with it could have been smaller, it could now be collapsing instead of expanding etc.
Maybe some universes are doing just that. Maybe we just happen to be in the universe which is doing this, and the collection of constants we see are just random.

Or maybe, as I keep saying, all these things are infinite. Maybe it is this way because it is this way and always has been.

quote:
You can get away with an eternal universe that's contingent on God who's also eternal.

You need more than eternity on its own to explain our universe assume it's eternal. And you do need an explanation because it doesn't have to be the way it is.

That's just an assertion.

See the thing is this: if one postulates a creator God who is eternal and made all things, then by definition he had to exist. That is part of the definition of the deity we are talking about.

But there is no particular reason to suppose that that is the only deity which is possible to imagine. One might be able to imagine a deity who was not eternally pre-existent. One might be able to imagine a deity which did not create all things. And so on.

The constant claims that a deity is a better explanation are itself dependent on acceptance of the claims about the deity.

Well, say for the sake of argument, I don't accept those claims. Then for me the hand-waving and passing off of the questions of the origins of the deity are not good enough. The acceptance that a deity can create something from nothing are not acceptable.

The one who believes in this kind of deity does not have to explain these origin questions because they are contingent on the type of deity you (the general you) say you believe in - all-powerful, eternal, pre-existing, etc and so on.

So now instead of saying those things about a deity, say them about the stuff that the universe is made from - that it is eternal (never had a beginning, never had an end), that it is pre-existing, that it can never be destroyed or created, and so on.

Constantly asking one who believes in this scenario about the origins or shape of the stuff (IngoB's bottle shape) is exactly like asking the one who believes in (this kind of) deity the same kind of questions.

They are null questions. They are questions that cannot be answered, they are questions that have no answer - because they are entirely dependent on the thing upon which one believes.

The one who believes in an infinite universe accepts that stuff exists because it has always existed.

I totally accept that this is a wild idea to someone who believes in an eternal all-powerful deity, but constantly asking the same questions in different ways does not change the simple fact - namely that you've rejected the idea because it is mentally uncomfortable for those who stake a claim on the type of deity they say they believe in.

There is nothing more logical in believing in this kind of deity than believing in the infinite eternal status of stuff. Neither can be proven in and of themselves.

Of course, the deists point to other evidence - that isn't the point I am making here, which is with regard to the question that there is something different in believing in an all-powerful eternal creating deity compared to pre-existing eternal stuff in the universe.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

Second, "Ecclesiastes" is obviously not a scientific treatise … so expecting it to be one and then dismissing it for not being such is hardly reasonable ...

Yes, but if this is claimed to be written by the wisest person who ever lived, you'd think it might be a bit less obviously stupid.

A plain reading of Ecclesiastes suggests to me that it is written by more than one person, because it is extremely difficult to square the one half with the other.

--------------------
arse

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

Yes, but if this is claimed to be written by the wisest person who ever lived, you'd think it might be a bit less obviously stupid.

A plain reading of Ecclesiastes suggests to me that it is written by more than one person, because it is extremely difficult to square the one half with the other.

I think you're being a little unfair there Mr Cheesy. The assessment of the author's wisdom is made at a particular point in time. To say two and half millennia ago that someone is the wisest person who has lived, is not the same as saying they are the wisest person who ever will live.

It also begs the question as to how much of what we consider to be wisdom today, will be regarded as foolishness twenty centuries hence.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is nothing more logical in believing in this kind of deity than believing in the infinite eternal status of stuff. Neither can be proven in and of themselves.

To the contrary, it is precisely the logical analysis of the observations of nature which leads one to propose that there must be an "uncaused cause". This outcome of the analysis get appropriated by theists as "God", and that's fair enough if they play by the rules of that analysis (which many modern theists do not!). But it does not change that the core claims arise from a logical analysis of observed change.

The problem you have is that the universe undeniably changes all the time. That's why your speculations about "eternity" contain these unobserved cycles of universes. But the sort of temporal change you allow only gets you the existence of a universe now from the existence of the universe back then. It does not get you why any of this endless cycle has arisen in the first place. The universe is contingent, you have already admitted this by allowing temporal change even at the universe level (cycles of universes). But if the universe is contingent, then all the cycles throughout endless time are still contingent, for a series of contingencies does not become necessary. So we can still meaningfully ask: "How come any of this?"

The one and only answer possible here is obviously something that is not contingent, something that does not change, something that is necessarily existing always in the same way. The only way to escape contingency is necessity. And here we are talking necessity in the most fundamental sense, not based on some circumstances.

Your cycle of universe is not some kind of alternative to this. A necessary being follows as much from a finite universe as from your endless cycle of universes. Any kind of thinkable contingency must be grounded in necessity, or forfeit reason. Your one and only alternative move is the declaration of "brute fact". It is not your endless cycle of universes that is an alternative to God. It is your claim that the endless cycle of universes (or a finite universe, or egg on toast, ...) is a "brute fact" that is your actual alternative to God. Because the only alternative to the analytic reason that proposes a necessary being is non-reason. You can refuse to think about things, you can declare matters to be beyond human reason. The materialist position is precisely to do this for things like the universe. Theists think that materialists give up reason too early, they say one can still reason out the existence of God, and our reason only starts to falter when we try to analyse God.

quote:

I'm not sure that the author of Ecclesiastes was "the wisest person who ever lived," but what he has written is certainly not "obviously stupid." Rather it is pretty damn stupid to read Eccles 1 as some kind of physics treatise, rather than as a poetic assessment of the meaning of life and the scope of human action.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
To the contrary, it is precisely the logical analysis of the observations of nature which leads one to propose that there must be an "uncaused cause". This outcome of the analysis get appropriated by theists as "God", and that's fair enough if they play by the rules of that analysis (which many modern theists do not!). But it does not change that the core claims arise from a logical analysis of observed change.

Rubbish, because if that was universal logic, we'd all agree. Clearly we do not.

As I said earlier, these things are in the realms of philosophy not pure logic, science and observation. By necessity.

quote:
The problem you have is that the universe undeniably changes all the time. That's why your speculations about "eternity" contain these unobserved cycles of universes. But the sort of temporal change you allow only gets you the existence of a universe now from the existence of the universe back then. It does not get you why any of this endless cycle has arisen in the first place. The universe is contingent, you have already admitted this by allowing temporal change even at the universe level (cycles of universes). But if the universe is contingent, then all the cycles throughout endless time are still contingent, for a series of contingencies does not become necessary. So we can still meaningfully ask: "How come any of this?"
There is no reason why. It just is. Why is entirely the wrong question.

quote:
The one and only answer possible here is obviously something that is not contingent, something that does not change, something that is necessarily existing always in the same way. The only way to escape contingency is necessity. And here we are talking necessity in the most fundamental sense, not based on some circumstances.
Again, what you consider to change and to not change is totally irrelevant. You might have persuaded yourself that an eternal God is different to eternal stuff, but internal consistency is not the same as truth. I don't accept your truth claims nor the logic you use to get to them.

quote:
Your cycle of universe is not some kind of alternative to this. A necessary being follows as much from a finite universe as from your endless cycle of universes. Any kind of thinkable contingency must be grounded in necessity, or forfeit reason. Your one and only alternative move is the declaration of "brute fact". It is not your endless cycle of universes that is an alternative to God. It is your claim that the endless cycle of universes (or a finite universe, or egg on toast, ...) is a "brute fact" that is your actual alternative to God. Because the only alternative to the analytic reason that proposes a necessary being is non-reason. You can refuse to think about things, you can declare matters to be beyond human reason. The materialist position is precisely to do this for things like the universe. Theists think that materialists give up reason too early, they say one can still reason out the existence of God, and our reason only starts to falter when we try to analyse God.
Again, that is because you are insisting that others work within the parameters you have set by repeatedly insisting that this is the only way to think. It isn't.

quote:
I'm not sure that the author of Ecclesiastes was "the wisest person who ever lived," but what he has written is certainly not "obviously stupid." Rather it is pretty damn stupid to read Eccles 1 as some kind of physics treatise, rather than as a poetic assessment of the meaning of life and the scope of human action.
I agree. Wisdom is clearly a subjsective, cultural and temporal thing. Hence this is not something which can be used to argue anything.

[ 26. March 2015, 10:28: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even if you can argue that a deity exists you cannot be certain from such an argument that the god so deduced is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Zeus or a flying spaghetti monster. Actually knowing God is dependant on something else entirely.

The arguments for the existence of a deity are more precisely for the existence of an unmoved mover, or a supreme good, who is then argued to have to possess such and such features by virtue of the argument, which features warrant the name God.

Zeus and the flying spaghetti monster don't possess the relevant features or else possess features that the argument rules out.

For example, if the unmoved mover is necessarily the way it is - it has to be to satisfy the argument - and the universe is contingent, the universe cannot be necessarily derived from the unmoved mover. Therefore the unmoved mover must be free to create the universe one way or another.
That means that the unmoved mover must have features analagous to knowledge and will.

The argument doesn't go: we need an explanation for the universe, therefore God. It is we need an explanation for the universe; any explanation has to have certain features; an entity with those features may be reasonably called God.

It's true that you can't deduce that the unmoved mover revealed themselves to the Israeli people, or that they became incarnate as Jesus. For that you need faith. But you can show that there's no incompatibility there.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
The arguments for the existence of a deity are more precisely for the existence of an unmoved mover, or a supreme good, who is then argued to have to possess such and such features by virtue of the argument, which features warrant the name God.

Zeus and the flying spaghetti monster don't possess the relevant features or else possess features that the argument rules out.

For example, if the unmoved mover is necessarily the way it is - it has to be to satisfy the argument - and the universe is contingent, the universe cannot be necessarily derived from the unmoved mover. Therefore the unmoved mover must be free to create the universe one way or another.
That means that the unmoved mover must have features analagous to knowledge and will.

I think I agree with this - except that within a framework of a pre-existing eternal universe it is possible to imagine gods which are not the "unmoved mover" but are still sufficiently larger and more powerful than humans/humanity to appear to be such. Any named god could exist, but actually turn out to be something less than the unmoved mover. Even an eternal deity does not necessarily imply that they are the originator and creator of all things.

quote:
The argument doesn't go: we need an explanation for the universe, therefore God. It is we need an explanation for the universe; any explanation has to have certain features; an entity with those features may be reasonably called God.
Well, no, not really because lots of things could be called God from the perspective of humans living on a small planet in the unfashionable end of an undeveloped galaxy.

quote:
It's true that you can't deduce that the unmoved mover revealed themselves to the Israeli people, or that they became incarnate as Jesus. For that you need faith. But you can show that there's no incompatibility there.
OK, but there is also no incompatibility in such a deity existing but not being the creator of all things (or in fact being a bunch of other things) either. It isn't as simple as 'God-creator-of-the-universe' vs nothing.

--------------------
arse

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

@IngoB. I was particularly attracted to your conclusion that the only way to avoid contingency is through necessity. Whilst self-evident when I think about it, it's elegantly put.

I also liked your point that you can't avoid contingency with respect to a cyclic universe theory since one universe is contingent on a previous one. How then, does one get from contingency to necessity?

And the point that materialists stop thinking though an issue before theists is well made. Materialism, by definition, hits a boundary of knowledge which theism comfortable traverses.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
@IngoB. I was particularly attracted to your conclusion that the only way to avoid contingency is through necessity. Whilst self-evident when I think about it, it's elegantly put.

I also liked your point that you can't avoid contingency with respect to a cyclic universe theory since one universe is contingent on a previous one. How then, does one get from contingency to necessity?

And the point that materialists stop thinking though an issue before theists is well made. Materialism, by definition, hits a boundary of knowledge which theism comfortable traverses.

It's an interesting argument, but I'm not sure why it's a boundary of knowledge. It's guesswork, isn't it, not that there's anything wrong with that.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
OK, but there is also no incompatibility in such a deity existing but not being the creator of all things (or in fact being a bunch of other things) either. It isn't as simple as 'God-creator-of-the-universe' vs nothing.

It's true. But I think that the philosophical traditions in the Abrahamic faiths would argue that no such being ought to be worshipped. The prohibition upon worshipping other deities is not contingent upon God having commanded it, but is a prohibition of natural reason like don't murder. Many atheists would say it was mere power worship also.
Anything that ought not to be worshipped is by definition not a deity.

[ 26. March 2015, 12:06: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

@Mr Cheesy. Can I just say I'm enjoying reading your posts and the discussion they are precipitating?

You said

lots of things could be called God from the perspective of humans living on a small planet in the unfashionable end of an undeveloped galaxy.

You might be missing the point of Dafyd's argument here. Let's leave aside for a moment the possibility of an eternal universe and explore the logic of Dafyd's unmoved mover.

Imagine you are the first person ever to ask the question "why does the universe exist?" As you embark on this ground-breaking venture you follow through a line of argument which leads you to a cause with certain characteristics. Everything that exists is contingent on this cause. So it has characteristics such as being omnipotent, eternal, and having the power to choose. Now I suppose that cause could be the combined effect of the combination of a number of other causes, but why complicate the issue? As William of Ockham is supposed to have suggested, the simplest explanation is usually the right one. We might add to this that we shouldn't posit plurality without necessity.

The point here is that we are not beginning by looking at powerful beings and saying they must be our creators. Rather we start with the observable universe and ask what created it. With the logical option of a single un-moved mover (Dafyd's logic is quite clear to follow) there is no need to posit a more complex combination of entities to achieve the same end.

Whilst we can still consider other alternatives to a necessary creator (as we are doing) if the options are between a single unmoved mover and one or more other beings, the un-moved mover wins by simplicity.

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

quote:
quote:

It's an interesting argument, but I'm not sure why it's a boundary of knowledge. It's guesswork, isn't it, not that there's anything wrong with that.
I think it's more a case of how far you allow yourself to take a logical argument. If you rule out metaphysics and philosophy as a way of understanding the universe (as some materialists do stridently, and others decide to do because they can find no practical use for these perspectives) then you are creating a boundary to knowledge. "Guesswork" feels a little pejorative.

Feel free to come up with an alternative if I'm missing your point.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
It's true. But I think that the philosophical traditions in the Abrahamic faiths would argue that no such being ought to be worshipped. The prohibition upon worshipping other deities is not contingent upon God having commanded it, but is a prohibition of natural reason like don't murder. Many atheists would say it was mere power worship also.
Anything that ought not to be worshipped is by definition not a deity.

So.. a being which is bigger than the galaxy, has an intelligence far outwith of the total of all humanity etc and so on should not be worshipped because he/she has not created it all.

The thing is that I can't see how one could possibly tell the difference. Why should such a being not be worshipped?

And anyway, even if one accepts these definitions of what is and what is not a god, this has zero bearing on the question at hand, namely whether the made-up assertion of a pre-existing eternal deity can or cannot be compared to the made up assertion of a pre-existing universe.

Both things are exactly parallel - in the sense that they are both made up!

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it's more a case of how far you allow yourself to take a logical argument. If you rule out metaphysics and philosophy as a way of understanding the universe (as some materialists do stridently, and others decide to do because they can find no practical use for these perspectives) then you are creating a boundary to knowledge. "Guesswork" feels a little pejorative.

Feel free to come up with an alternative if I'm missing your point.

I don't think the idea of guessing is a negative one; surely science uses it quite a lot - there is a famous film by Feynman, in which he explains the use of guesses, although they are usually tested.

I am reminded of Hume's idea that causation is a human intellectual preference, rather than a direct perception. This connects for me with the idea found in some Eastern religions, that this moment cannot be anything else, (not the same as necessity maybe). Does this lead to God? Well, hmmm.

No time to pursue this right now, unfortunately.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016