homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dilemma (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dilemma
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Which will take a major shift in the attitudes of the UK political parties and their leading members whoo sit in Parliament. That's not going to happen as long as we keep voting for one of the same two or three parties. That is the status quo that needs to be broken.

Long time, maybe. Meanwhile we are condemned to the smaller parties breaking their promises like the LibDems did iin the coalition.

If lots of people voted for the smaller paries, we'd still have a Tory or a Labour government.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
toadstrike
Apprentice
# 18244

- Posted      Profile for toadstrike   Email toadstrike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And, the status quo in UK politics is a term
I think the biggest part of our political status quo is the idea that minority governments can't work, and that coalition governments are just a minor party selling out their principles to prop up an otherwise weak government. It's a pernicious lie.

How right that is. The notion that parties in power have to get everything they want even though their successors will reverse what they did in a few years' time is what makes progress so hard.

I'm sure the LDs will get decimated in May for policies that they had to swallow to maintain a coalition worked out on the back of an envelope. And they didn't get the reform they wanted of AV (not that that goes nearly far enough IMHO) because although they had the referendum, the idea was torpedoed by the Tories.

As for me, the MP we have, who is also Tory Chairman, is a very good constituency MP. I don't really agree with him when he parrots the party line on a number of things, but he's the "devil I know", so because I can't vote separately for MP and party I feel I'll have to fall in behind him albeit not enthusiastically.

The nearest rival is the Labour guy who seems a complete (insert favourite rude word here). But Welwyn Hatfield is a pretty safe Tory seat now so it really won't make much odds what I do (which has to be wrong).

Posts: 24 | From: Welwyn Garden City, UK | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin lives in Thanet. Now there's a dilemma. How can a leftie vote Tory? But if she doesn't it risks letting the Kipper in.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:
And they [the Liberal Democrats] didn't get the reform they wanted of AV (not that that goes nearly far enough IMHO) because although they had the referendum, the idea was torpedoed by the Tories.

Wasn't the idea torpedoed by the 13,000,000 people who voted no?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016