homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » First election debate : How would you have answerd Paxman?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: First election debate : How would you have answerd Paxman?
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw most of the Sky/Channel 4 election debate yesterday evening. There were some interesting questions that politicians of every colour would need to be able to answer. Some were more discomforting than others for the two protagonists.

If you were advising Mssrs Cameron and Milliband to help them improve their answers to Mr Paxman's questions, what advice would you give? For example, how could Mr Milliband reply more convincingly to to the question "What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?" and for Mr Cameron "How can you justify zero hour contracts for anyone other than students looking for pin money?"

Rather than a detailed discussion of the issues, perhaps we can focus on what a more credible answer would sound like.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drewthealexander:
For example, how could Mr Milliband reply more convincingly to to the question "What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?"

Much more than we can expect to be living here given any sensible forecast. What we need to do is to sort out the gross distortions of the property market which is run for investors rather than people living here.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Headline: "Milliband anticipates 'much more' immigration!"
Tabloid: "Tidal wave of immmigrants under Labour"
Story: "Labour leader, Ed Miliband, last night dismissed fears about immigration, and said that he thought Britain could cope with 'much more" immigration than any forecasts are predicting…"

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hard to answer hgim because he kept butting in when they tried to answer - he was pulling them in several directions at once.

And as for asking 'Ed. are you alright?' at the end - how manipulative.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool
Apprentice
# 18359

- Posted      Profile for Fool     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought there were some questions last night that were designed to be unanswerable. The q's to Cameron about breaking promises I think he should have admitted that its unwise for politicians to make promises. No plan survives contact with the enemy - all politicians can really say is this is what we want to do. We believe its realistic because.... but if circumstances change or are not as we see them then we may not be able to do what we want.

I notice that he did not seek to blame his coalition partners in anyway even though some of the things they promised to do they couldn't because of them.

The q's to Milliband about his brother and his mother. What the hell was he supposed to say? They were just silly and had no place in a serious current affairs program.

Posts: 16 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even Nigel Farage refuses to specify a figure for the maximum number of immigrants to this country. Although if you pay attention Mr Farage flip-flops on immigration worse than any mainstream politician.

In reality, we shouldn't set targets for immigration for the same reason we don't set targets for tractor production and coal and steel output - viz., we don't live in a planned economy.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. You cannot put a finite figure on total population since it depends on a variety of factors, none of which is fixed. There is no fixed number of people after which we have "maxed out" - no jug with a brim to fill to.

Population is a combination of variables such as immigration, emigration, birth and death rates and longevity. Since these are in a constant state of flux, as are their effects on society and the economy, asking for "a figure" is too simplistic.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?"

Perhaps 500 million, though a case could be made for a billion or two if one really wants to push the envelope, I guess.

Do you mean what size of population could be supported in the UK at current living standards, if we allow for gradual immigration (rather than all of the coming at once) and social and economic adaptation?

I would say that the number of people living in the UK could be doubled or tripled quite readily. Population density in South Korea is 1,303/km^2, in the Netherlands it is 407/km^2, but in the UK only 262/km^2. These are hardly worst case scenarios, i.e., Macau is at 21,190/km^2.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For example, how could Mr Milliband reply more convincingly to to the question "What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?"

"That sounds like a question about maths. I can do the maths if you like. If it's really a question about politics, are you actually asking me to give you an account of our policy on migration?"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

"That sounds like a question about maths. I can do the maths if you like. If it's really a question about politics, are you actually asking me to give you an account of our policy on migration?"
Mr Pxman's question to Mr Milliband was "Are we full?" A mathematical answer around populate density (IngoB) is an interesting way of responding. But it's not just about numbers - quality of life, how safe people feel, how population size affects people's sense of identit all come into play.

Given the politics around immigration, what kind of answer would your offer to a politician that shows they have a grasp of the issues without falling into the trap of suggesting a limit on the number of immigrants?

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
"What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?"

Perhaps 500 million, though a case could be made for a billion or two if one really wants to push the envelope, I guess.

Do you mean what size of population could be supported in the UK at current living standards, if we allow for gradual immigration (rather than all of the coming at once) and social and economic adaptation?

I would say that the number of people living in the UK could be doubled or tripled quite readily. Population density in South Korea is 1,303/km^2, in the Netherlands it is 407/km^2, but in the UK only 262/km^2. These are hardly worst case scenarios, i.e., Macau is at 21,190/km^2.

Not all land is equal.

I mean, you may well be right that the UK can sustain a higher population density, but you can't simply plonk people anywhere and everywhere. In some places plonking people would require an awful lot of effort and consequently great expense.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Given the politics around immigration, what kind of answer would your offer to a politician that shows they have a grasp of the issues without falling into the trap of suggesting a limit on the number of immigrants?

The trouble here is that there are two sets of issues:
a) the actual issues;
b) what the media and generations of politicians, mostly but not entirely right-wing, have established as the issues.
The problem is that the two are quite distinct.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps something like:

"We understand that many ordinary people have concerns around immigration and population growth. There are three aspects to this:
- concern about preserving the British countryside from housing and industrial development
- concern about our economy, and what happens if we import extra workers without corresponding extra jobs
- concern about the character of the local neighbourhood in which we live, and how that character might be lost by too large an influx of people whose English is poor and who lack an appreciation of the traditional culture of the area.

We will address these concerns. Our planning policy will strengthen the protection of the countryside and encourage high-quality high-density development on brownfield land in the cities. Our further education policy will provide opportunities for immigrants to learn English more rapidly and study local and regional culture.

In terms of the economy, I think you'll find that many immigrants are enterprising hard-working people who are more-than-averagely likely to start a business. Job creation starts with small businesses. Our national economy is not so strong that we can afford to turn away budding entrepreneurs.
"

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paxman: "Very interesting, I'm sure. But perhaps now you can answer the question, "What's the maximum number of people who can live in the UK?"

Headline: "Milliband refuses to consider limit on immigrant numbers"/ "Milliband evasive with Paxman on immigration"

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what we're saying here is that the limit on immigrant numbers that matters isn't a single for-all-time limit like the amount of beer that a pint glass will hold. But rather that there are multiple considerations involving culture, economy and environment, and that each of those limits varies over time and from place to place.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016