homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Cross (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Cross
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It sounds extreme to me, like a kind of spiritual anorexia, dangerous in fact. Fortunately, nobody will manage it.

Christianity is nothing if not extreme.
I just think there are lots of ways of being whole and human; still, each to their own.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
It sounds extreme to me, like a kind of spiritual anorexia, dangerous in fact. Fortunately, nobody will manage it.

I just think there are lots of ways of being whole and human; still, each to their own.
I guess it depends on how you see wholeness. Some people see it as relating only to the individual, which could be therapeutic for that person, but...

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I guess it depends on how you see wholeness. Some people see it as relating only to the individual, which could be therapeutic for that person, but...
Well, I think wholeness involves being connected, but then total self-sacrifice sounds disconnected from oneself. As I said, it's potentially dangerous.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a criticism of you at all, q - just an observation that for a lot of other people it appears to be more a mystical monism. But that would be a long digression.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
It's not a criticism of you at all, q - just an observation that for a lot of other people it appears to be more a mystical monism. But that would be a long digression.

Ah, I get it; what I would call non-dualism. That makes sense, within the history of mysticism, people like de Caussade.

Yes, it's pretty complicated, but I still balk at total self-sacrifice. I think a lot of people need to learn to enjoy life.

--------------------

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering what we have in mind by total self-sacrifice. We could be thinking about martyr syndrome (I don't in any way value myself) which would seem a little odd given that Peter reminds us that we are redeemed by the "precious" blood of Christ. That says something about the value God places on us.

Ignatius talks about coming to a place of "indifference" or, to perhaps use a more modern word, "detachment." If we regard all we have, including life itself, as belonging to God then it is his to direct as he sees fit. We hold everything in this life lightly.

Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I could well be wrong, but I don't think that the Buddha taught that his followers should sit under a tree and wait for enlightenment. Buddhism seems to be a religion built upon the idea that one first needs to recognise one's need for enlightenment and then seek it. Apologies to any Buddhists if that is a misrepresentation.
In contrast, the Christ of the gospels is not primarily a philosopher or even really offering a well-arranged set of behviours to follow to reach the 'good life'. Indeed, he seems to talk in riddles, oxymorons and contradictions.
But - that said, it seems clear to me that there is a moral example one is supposed to read from the gospels; namely that people who claim to follow Jesus Christ are to let go of the things of this life, pick up a cross and follow to the place of crucifixion. That moral example is that one can only be truly whole and truly human in total self-sacrificial giving and service of the other.
I am not sure it is quite the same kind of example as given by other teachers, the example here is one of action not just following directions.

mr cheesy, I agree with your point about Christ not being a teacher of the good life foremost - which is one reason why I’m yet unconvinced of the moral influence theory of atonement.

I do struggle with the idea of the cross as moral example in any sense when everything about it seems to be wrong and immoral and nobody should ever be in that place.

It's is part of my understanding of what “substitution” means (i.e Christ taking our place).

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
Yes, Ron. I think that's where I'm at currently. I think the modern presentation of PSA is rather over egged and having read the Puritan classic The death of death in the death of Christ I think it's possible - and indeed biblical - to hold a more nuanced view of substitutionary atonement which doesn't require some kind of temporary animosity between the Father and the Son.

I like your thinking here, daronmedway.
I'm sorry? "temporary animosity between the Father and the Son..."?

Where do you get that in PSA?

From the mistaken idea - which is very common among a certain brand of evangelical - that the crucifixion of the Son makes it possible for a God who is essentially wrathful to love sinners, rather than the cross being the place where the God who is essentially loving has chosen to be just.

[ 15. April 2015, 20:05: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You see, you use phrases that misrepresent the position. You say that people who hold PSA as a valid theory believe that God as "essentially wrathful" as opposed to those who believe that God is "essentially loving."

I believe in the wrath of God but I also believe that God is loving.
But I also believe that God's greatest attributes is his holiness - and that holiness is expressed in wrath and love. Is it possible to be loving and not wrathful? I don't think so. For God to be loving and not wrathful is for God to be apathetic.

quote:
Face it: to deny God’s wrath is, at bottom, to deny God’s love. When God sees humans being enslaved – and do please go and see the film Amazing Grace as soon as you get the chance – if God doesn’t hate it, he is not a loving God. (It was the sneering, sophisticated set who tried to make out that God didn’t get angry about that kind of thing, and whom Wilberforce opposed with the message that God really does hate slavery.) When God sees innocent people being bombed because of someone’s political agenda, if God doesn’t hate it, he isn’t a loving God.

NT Wright
The Word of the Cross

[ 15. April 2015, 20:37: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog, isn't there a critical distinction to be made between sin and sinful people? It is different, isn't it, to say that sin incurs God's wrath as a consequence of his loving nature from believing that sinful people incur God's wrath and face an eternity in hell? PSA does not address sin but sinful people who must pay a penalty for committing sins.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You see, you use phrases that misrepresent the position. You say that people who hold PSA as a valid theory believe that God as "essentially wrathful" as opposed to those who believe that God is "essentially loving."

No, I didn't say that. I said that many evangelicals who hold to PSA as a valid theory - particularly those who hold to it almost exclusively - have a faulty understanding of it which sees the Father as so angry at sinners that he is unable or unwilling to love them without the satisfaction that the death of his Son gives him.

[ 16. April 2015, 06:53: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is very mainly nothing at all. Out of a church of, rounded, 1000, I'm a former 1, of a current 1% who give 1% of their time to the homeless and vulnerably housed, as I'm always banging on about. What a hero eh?

This lunchtime I'll give 1% (and that's pushing it, but he's had that already this week in texts and a phone call I chose to make) to 1% of those so served. He O/D'd on antidepressants a couple of nights ago and I always ignore his phone calls - except with a text - so he rang some other poor woman in the church, who was unwise once enough to give him her phone number so he could be driven to and from the soup kitchen, with badly managed diabetes who got in a taxi (she's lost her license) at 1 in the morning and picked him up to take him to A&E a 15 minute walk away.

In my 100 order-of-magnitude local church, I - only - give 1% to the 1 man broken with grief (5 1st and 2nd degree bereavements in as many years), unemployment and loneliness.

So where is our total, extreme, sacrificial giving? It's certainly in that poor woman's behaviour. And of course, that's not what's meant or required.

It's required of the 100% of us. 100% of the time.

Not 1% of the 1%.

But Hell ain't even a bit nippy yet.

Which is why when we see Christianity being driven out of the Middle East, we don't.

[ 16. April 2015, 07:16: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
The blood is real, it's how it 'works' that is where the metaphorical elements start.

There is a balance in all of this. It often find, though that some evangelicals are far more superstitious than they accuse RCs of being when it comes to how the blood of Christ cleanses us from sin.

Thinking a little more about blood references in public worship settings, I notice that two of the meditations in the monthly cycle of the Northumbria community refer to the blood. One uses the repeated refrain "praise to the blood of the lamb." The other speaks about faith in the blood.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, but if I recall correctly there are two alternative cycles of meditation passages in the Northumbria prayerbook, so that is 2 out of 62 readings.

They're not really typical evangelicals in that (or typical evangelicals in any real sense).

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You see it seems to me that 1% of us picking up 1% of our cross is not much Cross.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
You see it seems to me that 1% of us picking up 1% of our cross is not much Cross.

But then beating oneself up over it isn't much use, is it? We just end up in another guilt trip; maybe it would be better to abandon the idea of total self-sacrifice as a dangerous illusion?

I was reading the church noticeboard in a village I am staying in, and there was a long litany by somebody (presumably the vicar), saying how he regretted watching crap TV, eating too much nice food, buying nice clothes, and so on. What is this, self-flagellation Inc.?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But then beating oneself up over it isn't much use, is it? We just end up in another guilt trip; maybe it would be better to abandon the idea of total self-sacrifice as a dangerous illusion?

Or maybe we (those who actually say we believe in this stuff) should actually practice what we preach.

quote:
I was reading the church noticeboard in a village I am staying in, and there was a long litany by somebody (presumably the vicar), saying how he regretted watching crap TV, eating too much nice food, buying nice clothes, and so on. What is this, self-flagellation Inc.?
I think there is essentially a spectrum here, and you are taking a very extreme end of it.

I didn't see that noticeboard, but I'm assuming the vicar is not complaining about the existence of this stuff, but the preoccupation with them - as if they actually matter - and the neglect of the things that really matter.

And this is also the point that Martin is making, I think. The call is to costly, sacrificial discipleship. Not that entertainment and self-care is neglected, but that it is put in its proper place.

What I get from Martin's rant is that if the church community actually lived up to what it says, no individual would be lumbered with feeling that they have to do something which is totally inappropriate (getting up in the middle of the night to sort out a minor problem).

The problem we have is that so many do nothing, hence those that do something often take on more than they can or should be doing.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, but if I recall correctly there are two alternative cycles of meditation passages in the Northumbria prayerbook, so that is 2 out of 62 readings.

They're not really typical evangelicals in that (or typical evangelicals in any real sense).

There are only 31 meditations, one for each day of the longest month. There are two sets of daily bible readings, so there is indeed a doubling up there. But not for the meditations.

Day 6 and Day 7 meditations seem to be the ones that Drew is referring to. Neither refers to the nature of the atonement (no wrathful God to be found); both point to Christ's victory, human freedom and destiny.

You are quite right that the Northumbria Community, as a community, is not typically evangelical. The local group to which I belong has members from various parts of the spectrum. The community has an ecumenical outlook, prefers to encourage folks to travel together, rather than draw boundaries which emphasise differences. Given the "heretical imperative" (essentially a willingness to give folks freedom to question and think for themselves), which is a community value, I don't think anyone is in much danger of being lulled into a superstitious interpretation of those meditations.

I'm simultaneously a companion in the NC and a long term member of an evo nonco congo. Go figure.

[ 16. April 2015, 09:55: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
There are only 31 meditations, one for each day of the longest month. There are two sets of daily bible readings, so there is indeed a doubling up there. But not for the meditations.

Thanks for the correction, I do not have the book to hand and it is a while since I used it. Even so, using the evidence offered, it is only 2 readings out of 31 meditations.

quote:
Day 6 and Day 7 meditations seem to be the ones that Drew is referring to. Neither refers to the nature of the atonement (no wrathful God to be found); both point to Christ's victory, human freedom and destiny.
Right. I do not think that the Northumbria Community is into PSA.

quote:
You are quite right that the NC as a community is not typically evangelical. The local group to which I belong has members from various parts of the spectrum. The community has an ecumenical outlook, prefers to encourage folks to travel together, rather than draw boundaries which emphasise differences. Given the "heretical imperative" (esentially a willingness to give folks freedom to question and think for themselves), which is a community value, I don't think anyone is in much danger of being lulled into a superstitious interpretation of those meditations.

I'm simultaneously a companion in the NC and a long term member of an evo nonco congo. Go figure.

Right, maybe we should talk about experiences of the NC another time.

My general point is that Drewthealexander hasn't really shown anything much by offering evidence from the prayer book of the NC. It might well be the case that it is used more widely by evangelicals than I imagined, but I don't think this really proves anything very much.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My general point is that Drewthealexander hasn't really shown anything much by offering evidence from the prayer book of the NC. It might well be the case that it is used more widely by evangelicals than I imagined, but I don't think this really proves anything very much.

I agree re Drew's post. IME, there is quite a lot of use of NC liturgical material in MOTR churches these days, not so much in evo churches (particularly nonco) which are not much into written down liturgical forms.

Feel free to PM re the NC, any time. Or start a thread, if you like. We've had previous discussions about neomonastic movements.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mr cheesy:
[qb] OK, but if I recall correctly there are two alternative cycles of meditation passages in the Northumbria prayerbook, so that is 2 out of 62 readings.

Thank you yes - it was the meditations rather than the readings I had in mind. Attaching the reference to Gamaliel's post was misleading (perhaps I should start my week again….).

In the wider discussion of the cross (rather than PSA specifically) I was musing on how references to "the blood" are used in different liturgical settings. We discussed this briefly up-thread with respect to Pentecostal worship. I was thinking about how the particularly earthy, bloody, very physical aspect of the cross evokes responses in worship settings. (Just looking through again, the reading for day 25 also reminds us of the Christ of calvary, and again reminds us specifically that involved the shedding of his blood).

I'm part of a prayer group that uses the NC Morning Office and have always been struck by the often very earthy nature of the readings (working the land, physical spaces to which God pays attention) as well as the focus on our interior life and God's providence and sovereignty.

I think this emphasis on God revealing himself, and his ways, through the very physical cycles of life and death is a helpful safeguard against unhelpful mysticism or the cross being relegated to a symbol.

Hopefully I am not now straying into Ecclesiantics….

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Mudfrog, isn't there a critical distinction to be made between sin and sinful people? It is different, isn't it, to say that sin incurs God's wrath as a consequence of his loving nature from believing that sinful people incur God's wrath and face an eternity in hell? PSA does not address sin but sinful people who must pay a penalty for committing sins.

Oh yes, we must not, of course, tell people that they are sinners in need of salvation and that it's only their sin that needs forgiving and not they themselves.

[Roll Eyes]

Wesley seemed to have it right:
quote:
Depth of mercy! Can there be
Mercy still reserved for me?
Can my God His wrath forbear,
Me, the chief of sinners, spare?

I have long withstood His grace,
Long provoked Him to His face,
Would not hearken to His calls,
Grieved Him by a thousand falls.

Whence to me this waste of love?
Ask my advocate above!
See the cause in Jesus’ face,
Now before the throne of grace.

There for me the Saviour stands,
Shows His wounds and spreads His hands.
God is love! I know, I feel;
Jesus lives and loves me still.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

No q. What it is, is me not reconciled at all to all our beliefs, all our religion, all our worship, all our praise, all our prayers, all our words of knowledge, all our utter inability to embrace the poor in any meaningful way. For 'our' read 'my'. Sorry to project. I'm sure there are a billion Mother Theresas out there.

And yeah, let's just carpet bomb IS.

--------------------
Love wins

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
No q. What it is, is me not reconciled at all to all our beliefs, all our religion, all our worship, all our praise, all our prayers, all our words of knowledge, all our utter inability to embrace the poor in any meaningful way. For 'our' read 'my'. Sorry to project. I'm sure there are a billion Mother Theresas out there.

And yeah, let's just carpet bomb IS.

Don't worry about projecting, everyone does.

I take your point about not embracing the poor; I suppose I feel I worked with the poor in spirit for most of my life, probably as a way of dealing with my own poverty!

I am just about to have a glass of cold wine, not much guilt around either.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

White I trust. A Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc? Or a dry white Bordeaux?

I shall chug down most of a Côtes du Rhône tomorrow. For mine oft infirmities sake.

As for the poo-err, let them drink Merlot I say!

[ 16. April 2015, 16:50: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog
quote:
quote:

Mudferog: Oh yes, we must not, of course, tell people that they are sinners in need of salvation and that it's only their sin that needs forgiving and not they themselves.

I assume from your mocking tone that you do not accept the distinction. Sin, by the way, does not need to be forgiven- it needs to be defeated.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Mudfrog
quote:
quote:

Mudferog: Oh yes, we must not, of course, tell people that they are sinners in need of salvation and that it's only their sin that needs forgiving and not they themselves.

I assume from your mocking tone that you do not accept the distinction. Sin, by the way, does not need to be forgiven- it needs to be defeated.
That was my point. It is people who need forgiving because it is people who are under the wrath of God.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meike:
But how could his death on the cross or any violent death be a moral example for humanity?

And how would it be different then from, let’s say, the teaching of Buddha who died a natural death and inspires people to live a an ethical life (or other religions or philosophies)?

The focus on his death, the cross and related issues is precisely the wrong focus. That's the problem. If you're going with moral example, you don't let the sacrificing penal view set the terms of the discussion and focus on the death part.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What's the wrath of God?

--------------------
Love wins

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
What's the wrath of God?

Both his passive and his active opposition and animosity to evil and evildoers.
Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The focus on his death, the cross and related issues is precisely the wrong focus. That's the problem. If you're going with moral example, you don't let the sacrificing penal view set the terms of the discussion and focus on the death part.

There is a case for penal substitution, though, and reason to assume that Jesus saw his own death as sacrificial, because he was quoting from Isaiah 53 about the suffering servant bearing the punishment on our behalf. That, and the words of institution at the eucharist, about scripture being fulfilled etc.

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the cross as a symbol of cruelty, suffering, sacrifice (including self-sacrifice).

As to whether Jesus knew what he was letting himself in for, I rather doubt it, though he would have had a much better idea of it than most of us can imagine. We live in an age when violence is partly about guys who get up and walk away, or suffer in silence, or get blown up a thousand miles away - even though it can happen in our own back yards at any time.

I think the cross is generally worn by good-hearted people with no imagination. It was, after all, only part of the process. Jesus would almost certainly have been screaming his head off long before his cosy crucifixion chat to the Beloved Disciple.

[ 16. April 2015, 21:27: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Active? When?

--------------------
Love wins

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Active? When?

Good question. When do you think? I say back then and not yet.

[ 16. April 2015, 22:06: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Never. As with the passive. What's to hate?

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
quote:

That was my point. It is people who need forgiving because it is people who are under the wrath of God.
It seems that you two are talking past each other - however this idea that God cannot be in any form of relationship with mankind because of sin is not borne out by scripture - think of all the characters who God chose to take the initiative with before the atonement and before they did any animal sacrifice.

And the idea that the atonement can work backwards obviously doesn't work otherwise there would be no need to institute the animal sacrifice and everyone would be covered by the blood (so to speak) backwards from the death at Golgotha.

In my view, PSA is a totally unsupportable position. The tragic thing is how often it is portrayed as the only possible explanation when in fact it is totally unfathomable and portrays a deity that nobody would want to believe in.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though, it is a diety that many do believe in.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

And also one which an increasing number are rejecting as cruel and incomprehensible.

--------------------
arse

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And the idea that the atonement can work backwards obviously doesn't work otherwise there would be no need to institute the animal sacrifice and everyone would be covered by the blood (so to speak) backwards from the death at Golgotha.

Good place to ask how Christendom has reconciled that particular problem. On principle, there doesn't seem to be a problem with a temporal act having eternal consequences. Revelation speaks of Christ being "slain before the foundation of the world" so if you're going to get your head round this you need to start with the worldview of the people who came up with this idea in the first place.

Still, raises the question of what the point was of the Old Testament sacrificial system. One of my old lecturers compared it to a flight simulator - it teaches you everything that's supposed to happen, but you only get airborne by being in a plane.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
Good place to ask how Christendom has reconciled that particular problem. On principle, there doesn't seem to be a problem with a temporal act having eternal consequences. Revelation speaks of Christ being "slain before the foundation of the world" so if you're going to get your head round this you need to start with the worldview of the people who came up with this idea in the first place.

Well Mudfrog introduced this earlier in this thread. But the more I thought about it, the less it worked - taken to a logical consequence, it would mean that the atonement event had an effect at all times, which therefore made the Levitical sacrifice pointless.

quote:
Still, raises the question of what the point was of the Old Testament sacrificial system. One of my old lecturers compared it to a flight simulator - it teaches you everything that's supposed to happen, but you only get airborne by being in a plane.
This is one aspect which I find baffling - I don't know your lecturer, but sometimes the argument is put that pre-Leviticus the Patriarchs were covered by the Temple sacrifices (backwards), but then does not seem to apply to the atonement.

And if it does apply to the atonement and if this then suggests that the temple sacrifice did not actually have any saving purpose, then one wonders on what basis PSA is argued.

It seems to me that all of these points are actually in conflict with each other.

--------------------
arse

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yo Mr Cheesy.

Might help to separate out two issues here. The relationship between the cross and the OT sacrificial system is one issue. The interpretation of the saving significance of that relationship is a second one.

So let's have a go at taking these in turn.

What I reckon about the OT sacrificial system was that it was both provisional and instructive. Sin has immediate and temporal consequences (tweak my nose and I won't be happy and there will be consequences) and eternal consequences (it separates you from God forever). The OT sacrificial system dealt with the immediate consequences of keeping you in Jahweh's covenant community. It dealt with the immediate problem of sin polluting the community and muddying your relationship with God. It did that job fine. What the NT writers say is that it couldn't deal with the eternal consequences of sin which is why Christ had to come.

The OT sacrifices were like a patch up job, or applying medicine to deal with symptoms (which is why they had to repeated year on year). Christ's sacrifice deals with the root cause of sin in the human condition by crucifying that condition and renewing it in himself. In that way he deals with the eternal consequences of sin, once and for all. It's not a patch-up repair job, it's a new creation.

So the OT sacrificial system served a purpose and did it fine. Christ's sacrifice does something else, something deeper and more cosmic.

Second issue is how you interpret that. Now our Mr Mudfrog is a keen PSA exponent, a view which has a broad following in the church and one I respect. But it's not the only way of understanding the cross (other views upthread). You can, IME, be an orthodox, faithful and (if i's important to you) Bible Believing Christian without subscribing to PSA. So to take points made up-thread, sacrifice can be an expression of penitence, remove guilt, remove impurity, break a curse - all views you will find in Scripture.

If you can get your head around the OT sacrifices doing a valuable but limited job, you should be OK going from there to Christ's sacrifice achieving a complete, comprehensive, cosmic, and eternal job.

What you have to deal with is the evidence. The sacrificial system and Christ's relationship to it is central to Christian doctrine and important to the New Testament writers so we have to make sense of it. If PSA makes is a road-block, have a look at another angle that keeps you moving towards a conclusion that makes sense.

Chew on that for a bit and see where it gets you.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meike:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

There is a case for penal substitution, though, and reason to assume that Jesus saw his own death as sacrificial, because he was quoting from Isaiah 53 about the suffering servant bearing the punishment on our behalf. That, and the words of institution at the eucharist, about scripture being fulfilled etc.
As a First Century Jew he wouldn't be aware of the way translators have twisted the words of Isaiah into a prophect of the cross.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Twisted": that's a bit loaded language, isn't it leo? Is it not possible that:
a) The first Christians saw in what Jesus had done something of a fulfillment of the words of Isaiah 53; and
b) Reckoned Jesus Himself saw what He was doing as fulfilling that prophecy?
Why is it beyond the realms of possibility that Jesus didn't see the cross as a fulfillment of prophecy, even though the original writer of those words in Isaiah wouldn't have had a clue about Jesus?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Yo Mr Cheesy.

Please don't Yo me.

quote:
Might help to separate out two issues here. The relationship between the cross and the OT sacrificial system is one issue. The interpretation of the saving significance of that relationship is a second one.
Not sure I really agree, the two issues are intertwined together. But anyway, go on on that assumption..

quote:
So let's have a go at taking these in turn.

What I reckon about the OT sacrificial system was that it was both provisional and instructive. Sin has immediate and temporal consequences (tweak my nose and I won't be happy and there will be consequences) and eternal consequences (it separates you from God forever).

It doesn't. See all the OT characters who were in no way 'separated' from God before they sacrificed. See the person of Jesus Christ who reached out to touch people in their sinfulness before the atonement. This argument just doesn't seem to have any biblical support, it is just asserted.

quote:
The OT sacrificial system dealt with the immediate consequences of keeping you in Jahweh's covenant community. It dealt with the immediate problem of sin polluting the community and muddying your relationship with God. It did that job fine. What the NT writers say is that it couldn't deal with the eternal consequences of sin which is why Christ had to come.
Mmm. It seems to me that you are close here to saying that the OT sacrificial system did not actually do 'what it says on the tin'.

quote:
The OT sacrifices were like a patch up job, or applying medicine to deal with symptoms (which is why they had to repeated year on year). Christ's sacrifice deals with the root cause of sin in the human condition by crucifying that condition and renewing it in himself. In that way he deals with the eternal consequences of sin, once and for all. It's not a patch-up repair job, it's a new creation.
Again, that is not the way sacrifice is described in the OT. You are just asserting that the atonement is needed because the OT sacrifice was inadequate. Which is fine - my points are mostly assertions too [Smile]

quote:
So the OT sacrificial system served a purpose and did it fine. Christ's sacrifice does something else, something deeper and more cosmic.
I don't see it like this.

quote:
Second issue is how you interpret that. Now our Mr Mudfrog is a keen PSA exponent, a view which has a broad following in the church and one I respect.
Not really. It has a broad following in certain sections of the Evangelical church, it is held rather lightly - or not at all - by the vast majority of the church outside of that set.

quote:
But it's not the only way of understanding the cross (other views upthread). You can, IME, be an orthodox, faithful and (if i's important to you) Bible Believing Christian without subscribing to PSA. So to take points made up-thread, sacrifice can be an expression of penitence, remove guilt, remove impurity, break a curse - all views you will find in Scripture.
Last time I looked, there were at least 8 theories of the atonement held by sections of the church at some point in history. I'm not sure what the point is that you are making. And I do not self-identify as a "bible-believing Christian".

quote:
If you can get your head around the OT sacrifices doing a valuable but limited job, you should be OK going from there to Christ's sacrifice achieving a complete, comprehensive, cosmic, and eternal job.
I don't, for reasons already explained. In fact, I believe PSA is really a dangerous lie.

quote:
What you have to deal with is the evidence. The sacrificial system and Christ's relationship to it is central to Christian doctrine and important to the New Testament writers so we have to make sense of it. If PSA makes is a road-block, have a look at another angle that keeps you moving towards a conclusion that makes sense.

Chew on that for a bit and see where it gets you.

Thanks for your advice, but I really do not need to be told to 'chew on' something I have been considering for more than 20 years.

--------------------
arse

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

If PSA is only acceptable in certain sections of modern evangelicalism, how does one explain:

Mine, mine was the transgression,
but thine the deadly pain?

Surely the pain in 'O sacred head (now, once, or sore) wounded' is in the context of the transgression.

Sounds pretty PSA to me.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
Is it not possible that:
a) The first Christians saw in what Jesus had done something of a fulfillment of the words of Isaiah 53;

I think it's not only possible, I'd go further. I think it's impossible that the first Christians didn't see a fulfilment of the words of Isaiah 53 in the life and crucifixion of Jesus. It's there in Acts plain as day, Philip meets an Ethiopian reading Isaiah 53, asks who it is about and Philip starts from that very passage and tells him the good news about Jesus.

Of course, whether Isaiah 53 teaches Penal Substitution is another matter entirely.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

Alright Mr Cheesy

So how do you see the OT sacrificial system?

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Alright Mr Cheesy

I have already answered this: the sacrifice was for the person not God. Death is not needed by God to forgive sins.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
If PSA is only acceptable in certain sections of modern evangelicalism, how does one explain:

Mine, mine was the transgression,
but thine the deadly pain?

Surely the pain in 'O sacred head (now, once, or sore) wounded' is in the context of the transgression.

Sounds pretty PSA to me.

If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

--------------------
arse

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
quote:
Alright Mr Cheesy

I have already answered this: the sacrifice was for the person not God. Death is not needed by God to forgive sins.
quote:
quote:
Alright Mr Cheesy

So you did mate,

quote:

The simplest explanation for sacrifice is, in my view, to get over the idea of a free gift. Accepting the forgiveness of God, which is offered freely, is not a free gift, glibly accepted with a life unchanged, but something which requires a costly response.

Sacrifice is a reminder to the individual that the Way of God is costly, and that it demands the best of what we have. It seems to me that the biblical record is in fact a progression away from the idea of placating the deity, away from the idea of killing other humans and towards the idea of sacrificing first things of immense value (animals in a rural economy) and ultimately in sacrificing one's whole life in response to the call.

Forgiveness costs God nothing to give, but is costly to us to respond to (we choose to sacrifice to show we appreciate its value).

What I couldn't find is what you reckon made Jesus think that getting himself crucified was such an important thing to do.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016