homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Easter and the media

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Easter and the media
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it is the increasing secularisation of Easter that there are not even any token efforts by the media where I live to acknowledge that it is anything but a long weekend with a chance to indulge in eating chocolate. I seem to remember in years past that there was usually a movie such as King of Kings, a telecast of a church service and the playing of appropriate music on the radio. On looking through my tv guide I find there are no 'religious' element offered, just sport and more sport interspersed with murder films. The radio is on at the moment before I go to church for Good Friday services, but they are playing loud rock music. I don't have time to search all the stations, but I doubt if there would be any other offering apart from the classics station for which I don't get very good radio reception. I get the impression that people are embarrassed to admit to any Christian allegiance and often don't even know the Easter story. After all, Easter to them is a time to eat Good Friday buns which have been consumed since Christmas followed by chocolate eggs chasers.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's better here, even in my relatively unreligious corner of the USA. I just saw a commercial for The Ten Commandments (with Charlton Heston), which is being run on one of the major networks on Easter Sunday.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I get the impression that people are embarrassed to admit to any Christian allegiance and often don't even know the Easter story. After all, Easter to them is a time to eat Good Friday buns which have been consumed since Christmas followed by chocolate eggs chasers.

If that is in fact their spiritual state, let them get on with it. Better that they should honestly do so than that they should hypocritically make a show of a faith they don't possess and aren't interested in.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot easier to evangelize non-Christians than pretend-Christians. [Two face]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit of a distance north from Bib, we had the observance of Good Friday as the lead item on our ABC radio news at 1pm. There was even a sound clip of a portion of the Epistle being read at a Catholic parish in SW Sydney by the prime minister - far from his home parish, so probably hoping for a few votes from his visit as well.

We certainly have lost quite a lot over the years. The TV news sessions 50 or more years ago would always include the Stations of the Cross at a monastery the semi-rural outskirts of Sydney. The property has long since been sold and subdivided for housing, and no substitute has been found. Many shops are now open on Good Friday, even in our local group. You can now buy fuel, as service stations are open whereas it used be one of the days that they were closed. Then again, shopping hours overall have been deregulated. In our local centre, many shops are now open even on Anzac Day - fortunately including a coffee shop to go to after the local service. So the changes are not limited to religious observances.

I don't know that there has been any real change in radio music. Almost all was secular then and still is, only the style changing.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What frosts my cookies is that the media seem to think only the Latins matter. It is as though the Greeks and the Russians and the Serbs and the Antiochians and all are completely invisible.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I as saying the very same thing to Mr Cosmic as we drove home from Good Friday service. A cursory glance at the TV guide showed not a single programme with any relationship to Easter.
Still, we live in very secular country so its hardly surprising.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things are more secular now. However I'm surprised no one has started an internet streaming site for the various services. I would think a church looking for outreach would find it simple enough to broadcast their services.

Perhaps there's a market opportunity here.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a surprisingly positive leader in
The Guardian (not with a usually even neutral position on Christianity) this morning -

For this particular newspaper (left wing, responsible, not rubbish) this is amazing!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link didn't work: try this instead. A good article: Giles Fraser manqué, perhaps?

[ 03. April 2015, 09:51: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
What frosts my cookies is that the media seem to think only the Latins matter. It is as though the Greeks and the Russians and the Serbs and the Antiochians and all are completely invisible.

This is a good point. It's not everybody's Easter this weekend. I've long said that public holidays (and, for that matter, tv schedules) should be decoupled from religious festivals. Let the world go its own sad way.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very good article; value is not about utility - what a good line.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

I suspect it's a numbers game, at least here in the U.S..
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look at these as more evidence of a increasing loss of traditional religions. Here, in a major city, I noted that the Saturday ads for Easter services were only four. Several decades ago there would be an entire page of such ads.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a shame that so few people seem to grasp the significance of Easter, but not surprising. Motorists and shoppers complain if they're inconvenienced by a procession with a cross, while if they paused and pondered they might benefit.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
I look at these as more evidence of a increasing loss of traditional religions. Here, in a major city, I noted that the Saturday ads for Easter services were only four. Several decades ago there would be an entire page of such ads.

Thirty years ago the Phoenix newspaper had two full pages of church ads every Saturday, but then they got greedy. The prices for advertising went up and up and up every year. The church ads have now completely disappeared, even at Christmas and Easter. (This happened before the internet replaced a lot of advertising.)

A similar thing has happened with "yellow pages" advertising in our phone books. As fewer people are using phone books and their circulation is down, their ads have become of less value (to churches, businesses, etc.) -- so they've raised their rates enormously. It makes no sense.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC Radios 3 and 4 usually mark Easter (and other major festivals)- see e.g. R3 schedule here: not just Passions etc but reflections on the Lord's Prayer in the late night essay spot this week

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC is also screening 2 programmes about Peter.
radio 4 has a eucharist celebrated by the first (of C of E)woman bishop

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
... radio 4 has a eucharist celebrated by the first (of C of E)woman bishop

I suspect that may be more because of who the bishop is than from any compunction to mark the Resurrection.

According to this if we wait a few years we'll be a Minority and they'll have to take notice of us.

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
... radio 4 has a eucharist celebrated by the first (of C of E)woman bishop

I suspect that may be more because of who the bishop is than from any compunction to mark the Resurrection.

According to this if we wait a few years we'll be a Minority and they'll have to take notice of us.

[Devil]

But they have a live broadcast of a church service every Sunday at that time.

During Lent, they included a series of sermons based on a book by Desmond Tutu.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016