homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » whither Scotland (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: whither Scotland
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wondering if any intelligent commentators on here, hopefully Alan Cresswell maybe, can tell us where we're going.

We've got a Tory UK government with unassailable majority (the DUP will vote with the Tories on austerity matters, they say, so the Tories can pursue austerity, privatisation of NHS etc unhindered.

TheSNP fought on the basis of a Scottish presence at Westminster to fight austerity. They have their presence but no numerical basis (and questionable democratic basis) to challenge austerity.

Will Cameron grant full fiscal autonomy to hold back the inevitable demands for a further independence referendum which will come after the SNP landslide at 2016 elections to Holyrood? Would he be able to resist demands for a second referendum if the SNP win 2016 on a manifesto to demand a referendum? Cameron knows that the outcome of a second referendum might well end the Union.
Does the SNP want FFA just now? There is talk from them to working towards it over several years, meantime the Barnett formula to continue. Funny, they were ready to lead us to complete indepence in 18 months if they'd won the referendum.

Cameron will want to keep Trident (and its replacement) on the Clyde for ever. Will this be a sticking point? Presumably FFA will mean that Scotland will not have control over defence matters and SNP will have to concede Trident to remain. Will this be a problem?

These are just a few of many questions.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's a lot of dust to settle before things become clearer. We've an interesting few months ahead to see how things pan out.

But, given a certain amount of clouded vision, here are some initial thoughts (no particular order).

1. I don't expect 2016 will be the massive SNP landslide that would be expected from a repeat of last weeks vote. I think a lot of the desertion of Labour was a reaction against Westminster and the UK Labour Party, and I expect a return to Labour of quite a few of those who voted SNP on Thursday. I also expect the LibDems to do better than they did on Thursday - they've blown their reputation as a Westminster party, but they have a good track record in Holyrood.

I don't think the people of Scotland actually want a massive majority for any party in Holyrood. But, if Nicola isn't FM with a very comfortable majority after the 2016 election I'll be very surprised.

2. What can the SNP do in Westminster to moderate the effects of Tory austerity, dismantlement of health and welfare services etc? It's going to be a tight rope walk. Any changes in national services is going to affect Scottish constituencies (that would be true even if we had independence, it would just be that we'd have no option but to live with it). Therefore, the SNP MPs (and the three other Scottish MPs) will be well within their role representing their constituents to engage in the debates and discussions, and votes, of the House. But, everytime they do what they've been elected to do, represent their constituents, there will be shouts of "English votes for English matters" with the right-wing rags baying for blood. Inevitably our MPs will come off balance (they're only human after all), sometimes being too involved in matters that only indirectly affect their constituents and being blasted by the right-wing rags, other times not taking a strong enough stand and being criticised by the Scottish people.

What they can do is constantly point out what is happening in Scotland. Which, with increased fiscal powers will hopefully demonstrate how to run a health and welfare service, schools, and other governmental services with financial and environmental responsibility, fostering economic growth and general well-being, and without the full force of austerity. The problem being that we've not had the chance to do that very well with the spending restrictions imposed by Westminster, and it will take time for the impact of enacting Scottish policy to become apparent. Which will be further delayed without introducing further devolved powers promptly. That may be too late to prevent the Tories from putting their axe to the base of the tree.

If, along with members of other parties in Westminster, they can make a good case against government policies there are still a large number of perfectly decent Tory MPs. If enough of them can be convinced that the Act under discussion is not good for their constituents, and the country as a whole, it won't take a massive rebellion for the government to struggle to get some legislation through.

3. Trident will be interesting. I suspect that Holyrood, and local authorities around the Faslane base, could make it difficult to obtain planning permission for base upgrades to accommodate new subs. But, I think you're right that there will be little direct say in defence from Holyrood. It will be very unpopular in Scotland, and doesn't seem to have much in the way of popular support in the rest of the UK, but I suspect sometime in the next three years Cameron will start sinking great wads of cash (which he claims he doesn't have to fund the health service, welfare etc) on four new boats. The one anti-austerity policy no one really wants.

4. A further referendum. I don't see any appetite in Scotland, beyond the die-hard Independence campaigners, for another referendum at the moment. The majority attitude is to a) find out what further developed powers Westminster will give Holyrood and b) then see how they work out before making any hasty decision on going further. Thursday's result may have shifted the balance a little bit towards another referendum but not that far.

I strongly suspect the SNP are as aware of that as everyone else. They'll put aspirational comments in their 2016 manifesto about building the groundwork for a further referendum, about independence as a long term aim. But, at the moment, a commitment to seek a referendum in the next 5 years will not be a vote winner for them. An in/out referendum on the EU may be the tipping point though - holding such a referendum turns the No Campaign promise that Scotland can only be assured a place in the EU within the union into a stinking great lie. If there's a moment of collective insanity and the result of a referendum is "out" with Scotland strongly in favour of remaining in then all bets about independence are off.

5. FFA. I don't think anyone thinks that can be implemented overnight. In some ways it's more complicated that managing the finances of an independent nation, so if it was estimated to take 18 months to sort out independent financial structures, a similar timescale for FFA is not unreasonable. At the moment FFA doesn't appear to be on the table, Cameron has promised further devolved powers, it's not entirely clear exactly what they will be. But, it makes sense to work on getting the best deal from what's on the table, and then getting those powers bedded down and producing good results for the people of Scotland. Then going for something more - either FFA or independence depending on how the country is swinging at the time.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly think one very strong line of attack for the SNP will be simply: "You have no mandate to do that north of the border."

They'll be right - a sort of reverse West Lothian question. It'll make things very awkward for the Tories.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of the Barnett formula, the problem is only in part the formula as it exists but what should replace it. It was devised by Joel Barnett (then Chief Secretary to the Treasury) to cater for devolution in 1979, taking into account the services to be devolved to the four parts of the United Kingdom. It never took account of varying needs as separate studies by the Treasury investigated.

Barnett said in 2004 that "it was never intended to last this long", but despite (or because of) widespread shortcomings and criticisms in Westminster and within England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, a revision let alone a permanent statutory arrangement is someway off.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
On the subject of the Barnett formula, the problem is only in part the formula as it exists but what should replace it. It was devised by Joel Barnett (then Chief Secretary to the Treasury) to cater for devolution in 1979, taking into account the services to be devolved to the four parts of the United Kingdom. It never took account of varying needs as separate studies by the Treasury investigated.

Barnett said in 2004 that "it was never intended to last this long", but despite (or because of) widespread shortcomings and criticisms in Westminster and within England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, a revision let alone a permanent statutory arrangement is someway off.

The formula will be history for Scotland if FFA comes along.
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Alan, there are rumours that Cameron is going to offer FFA next week ( the offer next week, not FFA next week).
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

The formula will be history for Scotland if FFA comes along.
I expect there will be some arguing about that! One of the problems raised is that of the extent to which public expenditure in place A affects economic activity in place B when B is in a different tax raising territory. It occurs all over the continent but it's something e don't have, except in Ireland.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
An in/out referendum on the EU may be the tipping point though - holding such a referendum turns the No Campaign promise that Scotland can only be assured a place in the EU within the union into a stinking great lie. If there's a moment of collective insanity and the result of a referendum is "out" with Scotland strongly in favour of remaining in then all bets about independence are off.

This. I think the EU referendum constitutes the Conservatives handing Scottish nationalists an absolute gift.

Given that a Scottish referendum is about fairly basic governance arrangements, they're not going to feel terribly constrained about having a 2nd one if Westminster goes about changing the governance arrangements.

I'm not even sure that an vote to leave the EU is what it would take. A strong "leave the EU" campaign in England coupled with a Scottish desire to stay in the EU could well be enough to motivate a second Scottish independence referendum.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I certainly think one very strong line of attack for the SNP will be simply: "You have no mandate to do that north of the border."

They'll be right - a sort of reverse West Lothian question. It'll make things very awkward for the Tories.

But last week's election was to form a parliament for the entire UK, not its constituent parts. How can such a cry be raised legitimately as long as it applies evenly across the entire country? Certainly, Holyrood as it sees fit can legislate within its remit, but the SNP cannot raise a cry along the lines you suggest in respect of uniform legislation.

As an aside, does the SNP really want FFA? It would then have to bear the brunt of raising the money as well as spending it. The history of the States here is while they like spending money, they would rather that the hard and often unpopular job of raising it be carried out by the federal government.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see the SNP actually bite the bullet and use the Scottish Parliament's existing tax raising powers. Go to the electorate in 2016 saying "look, the tories are cutting too much from the budget. We need to protect public services and stop people starving to death. That means we're advocating 1p extra on the basic rate of income tax each year for the next 3 years". It might lose them some votes but it will make a clear distinction between them and both Labour and the tories. It would be line in the sand saying that Scotland cares about society, it's not "every man for himself" up here.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
  1. I don't expect 2016 will be the massive SNP landslide that would be expected from a repeat of last weeks vote. I think a lot of the desertion of Labour was a reaction against Westminster and the UK Labour Party, and I expect a return to Labour of quite a few of those who voted SNP on Thursday. I also expect the LibDems to do better than they did on Thursday - they've blown their reputation as a Westminster party, but they have a good track record in Holyrood.

I think it depends to a huge extent on how Labour/Scottish Labour deals with the situation. There is the huge problem that Labour's opposition in Scotland is the SNP while in England it is the Conservatives - two entirely different animals. They may be able to tackle two very different games only by becoming two distinct parties. Personally, I think a genuinely independent Scottish Labour party retaining only a loose association with the main Labour body would be very good for Scotland, as the SNP will need a credible opposition rather sooner than later if it is to remain as fit and progressive as it is now. OTOH unless Jim Murphy, who is now morally shipwrecked in just about every way conceivable, is forced to stand down from his position as Branch Office Manager it is very difficult to see how Scottish Labour is going to dig its way out of its hole any time soon.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Why do you say that Jim Murphy is morally shipwrecked? True, Scottish Labour failed to convince at the recent poll but it wasn't a moral failure, certainly not a moral failure by Jim Murphy who is a decent man and fought a hard fight after taking the leadership last year. He may be a political failure but to question his morality is surely OTT.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Murphy's morality has been in question since he was president of the NUS. In the light of what he did in that role, "decent man" isn't quite what springs to mind. "Treacherous bastard", on the other hand...

He is also a renowned warmonger and exploiter of the parliamentary expenses system.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was for one involved in expenses scandals at Westminster.

For twos he apparently abstained from voting on fracking, later claiming he voted against. There were similar instances on other policies.

For threes he has been caught telling whoppers, such as no austerity in Scotland, while every Labour member of consequence at London HQ did not even appear to know what he was on about.

For fours he adopted a shouty style which derailed every debate I watched by bringing in totally off-topic political soundbites.

And finally, he lost his seat. Clegg and Miliband faired better than that, but they still stood down. No party got annihilated more the Scottish Labour - and don't forget that he was claiming at one point that he would hold every Labour seat in Scotland. He failed abjectly.

And to get personal, what really did it for me were his cynical populist proposals such as reintroducing alcohol to football grounds. Get lost, man!

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

Just to clarify: "Get lost, man" refers to Jim Murphy, and not anyone on this thread. (missed edit)

--------------------
... The Respectable

Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
Just to clarify: "Get lost, man" refers to Jim Murphy, and not anyone on this thread. (missed edit)

Donna worry, I didn't take it personally.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
How can such a cry be raised legitimately as long as it applies evenly across the entire country? Certainly, Holyrood as it sees fit can legislate within its remit, but the SNP cannot raise a cry along the lines you suggest in respect of uniform legislation.

Of course they can. And they will.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
How can such a cry be raised legitimately as long as it applies evenly across the entire country? Certainly, Holyrood as it sees fit can legislate within its remit, but the SNP cannot raise a cry along the lines you suggest in respect of uniform legislation.

They will complain and complain loudly, but without legitimacy. Can I complain when the federal government here introduces legislation against the platform of the party which won the majority in my electorate? I can complain about the legislation itself, but I can't complain about its operation in my electorate on the basis that the electorate supported the opposite. The same applies to Scotland. If the legislation is UK wide in operation, there can be no legitimate opposition to its application in Scotland on the basis that the majority of Scottish seats went to a party opposed to the legislation.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a little article about the three remaining non-SNP MPs in Scotland, who they are, and why they were able to retain their seats amidst the sea of yellow. It doesn't add much to the "Whither Scotland" question, admittedly, but it's good to know who the other ones are, and why it wasn't entirely a yellow-wash.

Comonspace - "How Scotland's Three Unionist Amigos Survived the SNP Tsunami".

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No, because FPTP means you get to make laws for the whole country even though you only got elected in part of it. That's one of the rules of FPTP. The SNP can claim that FPTP is illegitimate, of course, but there isn't any other system that would get them 56 seats.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Here's a little article about the three remaining non-SNP MPs in Scotland, who they are, and why they were able to retain their seats amidst the sea of yellow. It doesn't add much to the "Whither Scotland" question, admittedly, but it's good to know who the other ones are, and why it wasn't entirely a yellow-wash.

Comonspace - "How Scotland's Three Unionist Amigos Survived the SNP Tsunami".

I live in the only Tory constituency left. Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale is a solidly traditional farming area, and fairly recent boundary changes have made it even more so. I grew up in a community that could be described as 'old Tory', in favour of stability and tradition, and which never did understand why Margaret Thatcher did not support the farmers more. Even so, to vote Labour was unthinkable, as they were too urban. (And the Labour MP we lived under for many years before the boundary changes was a boor, and told the farmers directly during the BSE crisis that he didn't care, because he didn't need their votes.) Somehow the Lib-Dems never made inroads here like they did in other farming areas. So Tory we were and are and shall be for the foreseeable future.

Also, David Mundell is a local boy. Mind you, Emma Harper for the SNP is also a local girl with a farming background, which makes her a canny choice - and she nearly did it. But Mundell, for all I disagree utterly with his policies, is an excellent constituency MP. He goes round the local agricultural shows, keeps in good letter contact with his constituents, and when I emailed him once (about the Tory policy on the European Convention on Human Rights) replied promptly and individually. He also came out of the expenses scandal well, and seems to be an honest man.

Another reason he held on is that the closer to the border with England you get, and the more anxious the locals are about independence. That border is very porous, with youngsters from the Dumfriesshire side popping over to Carlisle for their further education, plenty of people commuting in both directions (but mainly Scotland to England), and many 'mixed marriages', so to speak. Demographically, I believe this is also the oldest region in Scotland, with a disproportionately high number of retirees: a group of which 73% voted against independence.

Re. the Edinburgh South constituency. I used to live there, and a friend who still does informs me that Neil Hay of the SNP is 'not a nice man'. She was therefore very torn as to how to vote. She wanted to vote SNP, but felt she could not give her vote to an individual whom she disliked so thoroughly. Ian Murray, by contrast, seems well liked, and also a good constituency MP. This combination of a popular incumbent and an unpopular challenger might explain the result.

So that's my analysis, for what it's worth. (I have no knowledge of Orkney and Shetland). But it suggests to me that if Labour and the Conservative parties want their votes back, then the way to do it has to be every bit as much via local politics and personalities as via credible leadership and policies. From the other side, the SNP could field a less problematic candidate in Edinburgh South; and Emma Harper could yet, by plugging away, close that 798-vote gap by the next election.

[ 11. May 2015, 17:02: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting - good to hear a local perspective from two of the constituencies (what are the odds of that, you get a bit of everything on the Ship!). The Shetlanders i know all supported the Yes side in the referendum, and so all presumably voted SNP, so I don't know much about their constituency. The Shetlands and Orkneys are a rather different place from the mainland, so I wouldn't venture to offer an opinion on their local politics!

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Cottontail, not sure I agree with your analysis re the way back for Labour and Lib Dem. The sitting MP in East Dunbartonshire was a local girl, Jo Swinson, who had held the seat since 2005. She was an upcoming star, holding ministerial office in the Coalition, and an exemplary constituency MP. Frankly, you couldn't get a better constituency MP. She still lost out to the SNP, even though the area was solidly No in the Referendum.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But she very nearly held on. Relatively few of her votes went to the SNP - she polled about 19,000. It was the Labour vote that collapsed and handed the seat to the SNP with a majority of only a few thousand.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well yes, constituency work and personality are only part of it. They won't make up on their own for a poor campaign at national level or unpopular policies. But I think the days when the electorate in Lanark and Hamilton East would vote Labour 'if they put up a ferret' (to quote a friend) may well be over. And to my mind, the Edinburgh South example suggests that a party may struggle to win that seat without a credible candidate, even if everything else is in their favour.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
quote:

No, because FPTP means you get to make laws for the whole country even though you only got elected in part of it. That's one of the rules of FPTP. The SNP can claim that FPTP is illegitimate, of course, but there isn't any other system that would get them 56 seats.
You seem to be confusing what is factually correct and the narrative that the SNP are going to use.

Bluntly put, the SNP will not care about constitutional niceties about FPTP and a whole-UK government when they can say to the Tories, "You have one MP in our country".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
But she very nearly held on. Relatively few of her votes went to the SNP - she polled about 19,000. It was the Labour vote that collapsed and handed the seat to the SNP with a majority of only a few thousand.

Agreed. But she still got caught up in the rush to the SNP from Labour. Although the traditional Labour support is relatively small, it was still enough to unseat Jo. But I agree, her loss of seat was noticeably different from Labour losses to SNP. Another point is that the SNP candidate now MP, a smat ar*e media type, ran a nasty campaign against Jo. Hope he gets his comeuppance.
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Doc Tor
quote:
the SNP will not care about constitutional niceties about FPTP and a whole-UK government when they can say to the Tories, "You have one MP in our country".
Alex Salmond was reported as having said that 'the lion has roared across the country' Maybe true, but with 56 seats to 312 I doubt that the lion has got any teeth!

Even with support from the Labour MPs and all the minor parties (a situation I suspect would be highly unlikely!) they still couldn't succeed.

With regard to the Scottish Parliament election next year, am I not right in thinking that Scotland uses PR? If so, the SNP will not get the same overwhelming advantage. I'm not sure what this might mean about a call for a further referendum, however - always assuming that Ms Sturgeon was/is right to claim that the Westminster election was NOT about a referendum in the near future - a statement that Alex Salmond seems to disagree with!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But they don't need teeth. They just need to make a nuisance of themselves and portray themselves as being brutally crushed under the heartless Tory boot.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be interesting to see Cameron's approach, will it be demonization of SNP and extolling of English nationalism, or a more respectful approach? And how will right-wing Tories react to the Tartan hordes?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You seem to be confusing what is factually correct and the narrative that the SNP are going to use.

Ah, fair enough. I thought you meant 'can' in the sense of 'can legitimately'.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
With regard to the Scottish Parliament election next year, am I not right in thinking that Scotland uses PR? If so, the SNP will not get the same overwhelming advantage.

There are 129 seats in Holyrood. 73 of them are constituency members elected under FPTP (obviously with each constituency slightly different, and smaller, than the 59 Westminster constituencies). The remaining 56 are regional seats, 8 regions returning 7 members each. The regional seats are produced by an Additional Member System, which is semi-proportional rather than PR per se. The number of MSPs for the region (constituencies and regional) is calculated based on a PR type calculation, regional members are then taken from the lists for each party to bring their representation in the region to match, as close as possible, the number they would have under PR.

The effect is to slightly moderate the constituency effect that can produce what we saw last week, a 50% vote getting all but 3 of the seats. So, in 2011 the SNP got 45% of the constituency votes giving them 53 of the 73 constituency MSPs. They got 44% of the additional member regional vote, which because of the MSPs they already had only gave them an additional 16 seats (rather than the approximate 25 they'd have had under straight PR for the regions). That still gave them 69 MSPs, 53% of the total, a comfortable majority above their actual share of the vote but not as outrageously greater than their share of the vote as 95% of the seats from a 50% share of the vote (as they got last week) or even 51% of seats from 37% of the vote (which is what the Tories got).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Ah, fair enough. I thought you meant 'can' in the sense of 'can legitimately'.
Which is why i deliberately included "legitimately" in my original post. But it will be an easy cry for the SNP, will get newspaper headlines, and may ultimately get them a few more votes. Besides, it saves the SNP spokespeople the trouble of thinking.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But they don't need teeth. They just need to make a nuisance of themselves and portray themselves as being brutally crushed under the heartless Tory boot.

Which might play well north of the border, but will hardly have any impact in the House, or endear them to English voters - not that the latter will probably worry them.

Thanks, Alan C, for your detailed explanation - talk about complicated...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
quote:

Which might play well north of the border, but will hardly have any impact in the House, or endear them to English voters - not that the latter will probably worry them.
It's impact north of the border that they want. If Cameron is sufficiently strong in ignoring/dismissing SNP views, he will be handing the Scottish independence movement a gift. The SNP narrative will become all about England v Scotland, and how out of touch Westminster is with Scottish values.

I doubt that they care that much about the precise content of UK legislation passing through the UK parliament, when the longer game is simply not to be part of the UK.

Cameron will have to play the game very carefully indeed if he wants to avoid being written into the history books as the PM who lost the Union.

[ 12. May 2015, 03:31: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a problem if the SNP angers enough English voters to give Cameron the political cover to let Scotland walk. The SNP wants independence. The Conservatives want to stay in power for decades. Labour will have a hard time winning enough seats to govern without Scotland being in play.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Not a problem if the SNP angers enough English voters to give Cameron the political cover to let Scotland walk. The SNP wants independence. The Conservatives want to stay in power for decades. Labour will have a hard time winning enough seats to govern without Scotland being in play.

It's a problem if you genuinely want to preserve the Union. And in fact most Conservatives actually do want to preserve the Union.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not a problem if the SNP angers enough English voters to give Cameron the political cover to let Scotland walk.

I think losing a third of the country you are supposed to be governing might impact a teensy bit on your popularity. 'You're taking the oil and gas? And the hydro? But we can have these nuclear weapons back in exchange? Whatever. See you around.'
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

quote:
But it will be an easy cry for the SNP, will get newspaper headlines, and may ultimately get them a few more votes. Besides, it saves the SNP spokespeople the trouble of thinking.

In fact, the SNP will have a good deal of thinking to do. The hung parliament scenario was the one in which they could actually demonstrate relevance. If Cameron locks them out of influence, they will have to think carefully how they can achieve tangible results with which to go back to their constituents in five years time - or even in time for the Holyrood elections next year. As for the press - the SNP and particularly Sturgeon ("Most Dangerous Woman in Britain" yaddy yadda) have not been given an easy ride in British nationwide broadsheets, whose coverage of events in Scotland has actually been quite shocking. So they will have to operate beyond simple headline-grabbing.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One other consideration is how the SNPs in Westminster and the SNP led Holyrood government will work together.

One particular area that springs to mind is the proposal to repeal the Human Rights Act , renegotiate/pull out of the European Convention of Human Rights.

Notwithstanding that legal and international complexities of this move, the devolved governments pose particular problems.

This is probabably the best analysis of them. In summary the Conservatives need the consent of the devolved regions.

The SNP have already indicated they would not agree to such a proposal. The Government could push ahead (in defiance of convention) but then it would be open to Scotland to have its own HRA.

This is also an issue where some Conservatives backbenchers (such as the former Attorney General!) do not support the policy and one could see them uniting with the rest of the opposition to try and defeat the government.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Thanks for your post and the link, that's very interesting.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's a problem if you genuinely want to preserve the Union. And in fact most Conservatives actually do want to preserve the Union.
They do NOW.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

I'm really not sure what you're getting at Beeswax Altar.
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

Unless you mean that the SNP will make such a nuisance of themselves that Conservative voters will eventually be glad to see them go. But what I meant is that Conservatives like David Cameron want to preserve the Union. So it's a problem for him if the price of political dominance is the destruction of the UK. He would see it as far too high a price to pay.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I'm reasonably certain that Cameron pulled out all the stops in the last few days of the referendum campaign, in an attempt to keep the union.

Rightly or wrongly, it was a matter of huge importance to him and, even it wasn't, I can't imagine any PM enjoying the audience with Her Maj, post-break up. That thought alone will probably keep most Westminster politicians in line.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But what I meant is that Conservatives like David Cameron want to preserve the Union. So it's a problem for him if the price of political dominance is the destruction of the UK. He would see it as far too high a price to pay.

I am not seeing much evidence that he thinks it would be far too high a price to pay. Up to a point, you shouldn't attribute to nefarious purpose what can be attributed to utter incompetence, but past that point utter incompetence and nefarious purpose become indistinguishable.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

I certainly think his "shock, horror" approach to the SNP has not helped the Unionist cause. But I think this is just because he is really shocked and horrified by the prospect of a Scottish breakaway. He just can't see what to do about it.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
quote:
But it will be an easy cry for the SNP, will get newspaper headlines, and may ultimately get them a few more votes. Besides, it saves the SNP spokespeople the trouble of thinking.

In fact, the SNP will have a good deal of thinking to do. The hung parliament scenario was the one in which they could actually demonstrate relevance. If Cameron locks them out of influence, they will have to think carefully how they can achieve tangible results with which to go back to their constituents in five years time - or even in time for the Holyrood elections next year. As for the press - the SNP and particularly Sturgeon ("Most Dangerous Woman in Britain" yaddy yadda) have not been given an easy ride in British nationwide broadsheets, whose coverage of events in Scotland has actually been quite shocking. So they will have to operate beyond simple headline-grabbing.
Agreed, but are they up to it? It's a lot easier for them to lapse into the simple cry that Scotland voted against it and therefore Westminster has no power to legislate.

You're right about the press - thinking issues through seems beyond virtually every paper. Over the last dozen years, even the Guardian has fallen from the days of an ability to analyse and discuss to the limitations of a quick knee jerk reaction.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Unless you mean that the SNP will make such a nuisance of themselves that Conservative voters will eventually be glad to see them go. But what I meant is that Conservatives like David Cameron want to preserve the Union. So it's a problem for him if the price of political dominance is the destruction of the UK. He would see it as far too high a price to pay.

Maybe Dave isn't as cynical as I am.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I certainly think his "shock, horror" approach to the SNP has not helped the Unionist cause. But I think this is just because he is really shocked and horrified by the prospect of a Scottish breakaway. He just can't see what to do about it.

One thing he could do is not suddenly raise the question of English Votes for English Laws immediately after the independence referendum results were announced, and announce that he was linking the promises he'd made late in the campaign to the English Votes question.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016