homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Neuroscience of Belief in God :) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Neuroscience of Belief in God :)
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

- Posted      Profile for OliviaCA     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi! First post here. [Smile]

Does anyone else here see God as "simply" the most remarkably evocative *and* ***accurate*** term for their almost unimaginably vast and infinitely more complex "real self"? ( ie. the being made up of waves, particles, and energy that creates "us"/the highly simplified model or avatar of itself that we normally *think* of as our self, *and* the model "world" that I/this little avatar "lives in" ).

ie. That the writers of Genesis and the Gospels were "simply" some of the greatest ( genius level ) early psychologists? ... That they understood, 2000 - 2600 years ago or more, as neuroscientists do now at long last, that everything "we" experience is a pale copy/shadow/replica/representation of the ***real*** world/heavenly kingdom of waves, particles and energy.

... That "we"/these little avatars, and this ( model ) world, are being created at every single instant by that "real self".

That this model enables more advanced/complex cognitive functioning ( hugely extended attention span compared to other animals; a capacity for sustained/long-term productive effort at a project, the ability to imagine/conceive and focus on things which have not yet been invented, or are elsewhere in time and space, and the social skills to facilitate cooperative interaction with other people with v different styles, skill-sets etc.

No other terms describe this *reality* for me as well as the social construct which is "God".

Genesis and the Gospels recount incredibly clearly how my/each of our vast and infinitely more complex "real self/ves" built a world, created an avatar/model in its image, etc, and that as part of the "programming" involved in assigning "awareness" of things to its avatar, and to the models of other living things, "we" were born, ( not from our parents [Biased] ), obliged to suffer/experience pain as part of the "job" of "modeling" our vastly greater infinitely more complex "real self's" "attention processes".

I think this is incredibly exciting. When I decided to believe in God several years ago, ( after reading about a theory which hypothesised that some people, with high fluid-intelligence, might have a real cognitive "need to believe" and I though it seemed to apply to me ) I thought that I was believing in something that didn't exist, for pragmatic reasons, and yet it worked; I felt exactly the way so many have said it feels, like coming home after years in the wilderness/enemy territory [Smile] ...

... but now I find that there is a very real neuroscientific foundation to the "dynamic"/relationship, "myth".

I ***really*** am created by an almost unimaginably vast and infinitely complex invisible being, which sees all I do, to "whom" I am extremely important/valuable, etc.

[Smile]

[ 10. May 2015, 12:37: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Posts: 91 | From: Europe | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaCA:
That they understood, 2000 - 2600 years ago or more, as neuroscientists do now at long last, that everything "we" experience is a pale copy/shadow/replica/representation of the ***real*** world/heavenly kingdom of waves, particles and energy. ... That "we"/these little avatars, and this ( model ) world, are being created at every single instant by that "real self". <snip> ... but now I find that there is a very real neuroscientific foundation to the "dynamic"/relationship, "myth".

Can you enlighten us what supposed neuroscientific evidence you are talking about?

quote:
I ***really*** am created by an almost unimaginably vast and infinitely complex invisible being, which sees all I do, to "whom" I am extremely important/valuable, etc. [Smile]

If I am the avatar of some kind of quasi-Divine being, then I would really like to smack my quasi-Divine. Because my avatar life is hardly paradisal, so my quasi-Divine self is either drunk or stupid or criminally careless or sadistic (masochistic?).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

- Posted      Profile for OliviaCA     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Can you enlighten us what supposed neuroscientific evidence you are talking about?

From Michael Graziano, author of "Consciousness and the Social Brain", and a neuroscientist:

"Anyone who works on sensory physiology is convinced of this. There's the real world, about which we know a little through scientific experiment, and there's the world as it is re-constructed and simplified by our brains. The "reality" we mostly think we live in is actually a neural simulation, and tends to bend the physical laws here and there. A bit like in a cartoon, when the guy walks off the cliff, gravity doesn't work until he realizes there's no ground under him, and then his legs fall while his torso stretches, and then his upper body falls. Clearly a distorted representation of reality. Just so, our brains give us a distorted representation of reality. Sometimes we can tell where our brains get it wrong. It can be simple and obvious; like the case of white light that we reconstruct as pure luminance with the contaminating colors scrubbed out of it, whereas simple experiments with prisms show that white light is a mixture of all colors. In that case everyone gets it."

And yes it feels like shit, we suffer, but it's possible that is the price that "we"/the little avatar has to pay, as part of the simplification process, as part of modeling our vast and infinitely more complex "real selves'" attention processes, ie. pain/suffering is part of "living in" this model ( maybe like living in a computer program/video game built on 1100100111101, an inherent unavoidable tendency to duality, oppositions ), perhaps signaling urgent/seriously large differences between the model and the heavenly real world of waves, particles and energy.

We "are" each one of us "Jesus", sacrificed and suffering on the cross for the purposes of enabling higher cognitive functioning in our infinitely more complex "real selves".

[Smile]

[code]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:20: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We "are" each one of us "Jesus", sacrificed and suffering on the cross for the purposes of enabling higher cognitive functioning in our infinitely more complex "real selves".

eh?

Yes, we all suffer humanity and death as Jesus did. But that's because He suffered humanity and death as we do (not the other way round).

I don't see what any of that has to do with neuroscience. The way our brain works probably does have some bearing on our belief systems, but you will find all types of people from 'neuro typical' folks to all sorts of people like me who are neurologically different (in my case ADHD) who believe in God.

You are your real self - there is no other.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From Michael Graziano, author of "Consciousness and the Social Brain", and a neuroscientist:

That paragraph explains, correctly, that we are not directly experiencing the real world, but rather the real world as filtered through the senses and reconstructed by neural processing. It says nothing about the existence of some quasi-Divine real self, it talks about the experiential limitations of the biological human self.

quote:
We "are" each one of us "Jesus", sacrificed and suffering on the cross for the purposes of enabling higher cognitive functioning in our infinitely more complex "real selves". [Smile]

Biological avatar-me now talking to you seems to be sufficiently distinct from quasi-Divine-me to allow feelings of resentment at being used by the latter as a kind guinea pig to research suffering.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
That paragraph explains, correctly, that we are not directly experiencing the real world, but rather the real world as filtered through the senses and reconstructed by neural processing. It says nothing about the existence of some quasi-Divine real self, it talks about the experiential limitations of the biological human self.

We are not directly experiencing the real world, we are models in a model world ... so ...

Who or what built these models? Who or what built the model that you, the little avatar/model, live in"?

*We*/our "lives" are "made up of" awareness of things, ( that awareness is a highly simplified model of the attention which our infinitely more complex "real selves" are paying to things in the world of waves, particles and energy ), and our experience is ( almost always ) exclusively *of* the model, which however awesome, extraordinary, and gigantic it seems to us, is still just a model of the real thing.

The model is not built by *us*, because *we* are models/avatars, living in a model. "We" are tiny little things.

The model is built by a being far far vaster, infinitely more complex than our little avatar, it is created by our "real selves", which are made up of waves, particles and energy. *That* is the being which is best expressed in the term "God".

My "real self" is not researching suffering but is engaging in/*achieving* extremely complex cognitive functioning as a result of using these models.

[Smile]

[code]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Biological avatar-me now talking to you seems to be sufficiently distinct from quasi-Divine-me to allow feelings of resentment at being used by the latter as a kind guinea pig to research suffering.

Squeeeek!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie: Yes, we all suffer humanity and death as Jesus did. But that's because He suffered humanity and death as we do (not the other way round).
Not just "like", we ***are*** Jesus. The character Jesus is a portrait of each one of us, the Gospel stories are about *us*, condemned to suffer for our "father"/creator". Models of that greater self created "in its image", sort of, within the limitations of the model's capacity for representation, "conceived" to serve the "father"/our unimaginably vast and infinitely complex "real self".

[Smile]

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling that I'm going to regret this...
From what you are saying, it seems that our real selves are made up of energy which is the true reality and responsible for the existence of our avatars. So is there only one true self or as many true selves as there are avatars? Also if we are really energy, where did this come from? Finally, the Gospel are readily intelligible on their own terms i.e. against 1st Century, 2nd Temple Judaism. What evidence is there that your alternative reading is (a) required or (b) intelligible?

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
We are not directly experiencing the real world, we are models in a model world ... so ...

First, even on its own terms this is an unwarranted leap. You can maybe say that our brains model the real world for us, but how does that make us a model? Second, whether we are "directly experiencing" the world or not depends on what you mean by "direct experience". If I look at a ball, then nothing else but the ball (and if you wish, the light coming from the sun or a lamp) causes the experience of the ball, notwithstanding the fact that the reflected light falls onto my retinas through the lenses of my eyes, is processed further in thalamus, primary visual cortex, etc. as neuronal firing and is somehow collated with prior experience contained in my memory to create the experience of seeing a ball in me. This is still a direct experience, as contrasted for example to you telling me that you are seeing a ball.

quote:
Who or what built these models? Who or what built the model that you, the little avatar/model, live in"?

You have to add all sorts of features to this "model" which de facto make it indistinguishable from our usual conception of world. For example, if I see a rock falling towards your head and shout for you to duck, then your model of the world better lead to you moving your head out of the flight path of that rock, or it will hurt. Our "models" are thus not independent, and I can force you by interactions and observations to modify your "model" until it de facto acts just as if there was an independent external world with which and through which we both interact. At that point, calling your model "model" is basically meaningless, it has become just a way of saying that we live together in a real world. Now, the answer to what created the real world we find ourselves in is indeed "God", but not a "god" as conceived as some kind of super-entity of myself.

quote:
The model is not built by *us*, because *we* are models/avatars, living in a model. "We" are tiny little things. The model is built by a being far far vaster, infinitely more complex than our little avatar, it is created by our "real selves", which are made up of waves, particles and energy. *That* is the being which is best expressed in the term "God".

You seem to be freely moving between a singular being "God" and a multitude of beings called "real selves". Given that I think your "model" is just another way of saying "real world", see above, I would of course agree that it was created by a singular (well, triune, but we will not sweat the difference) being "God". But I see no evidence that it was created by a multitude of beings conceived as some kind of super version of ourselves, our "real selves".

quote:
My "real self" is not researching suffering but is engaging in/*achieving* extremely complex cognitive functioning as a result of using these models. [Smile]

Well, fine, I don't actually care in the slightest why the Divine version of myself needs the biological me to suffer. I am sufficiently self-aware and self-contained to tell my Divine self to lay the heck off. I, the bio me, accept no excuse or explanation from this Divine entity for making me suffer any further without my explicit agreement, which it very much has not obtained from me. Also the claim that this Divine entity is in some esoteric sense "me" does not satisfy me in the slightest. That super entity "me" can torture its super self for its super purposes if it wants to, I - bio me - have not signed up for any of that shit!

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:

I really hope not. [Frown] That would be such a shame.

What makes you think that you will?

Is there anything that you, or I, could do to avoid that happening?

Should I perhaps wait a while before I reply to your post in case you change your mind/decide you'd definitely rather not get involved? :?

[Smile]

[code]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:22: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a lighthearted remark. Please, respond away.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swedenborg - the Brain
Austin - Zen and the Brain
Zohar - Quantum Consciousness
Goswami - various

But actually, belief is about the heart more than neurology. qv Edwards - the Vortex of Life, HeartMath research, and about any mystical tradition you care to name - Sufism, Rosicrucianis, etc etc

Be-Liebe/Beloved

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
quote:

First, even on its own terms this is an unwarranted leap. You can maybe say that our brains model the real world for us, but how does that make us a model?
That is a very good point. That is where Graziano's "attention model theory of consciousness" comes in, which is why reading his book was like a light going on in my head.

His theory posits that consciousness, our "awareness" of anything at all, our apparent "experience" of things/life/the world is the result of our brain modeling its attention processes to augment various cognitive functions, ( attention span, social interaction, conception of abstract etc ), and that this modeling involves creating models of itself as well as of other people, animals, etc, as required, to which it assigns the status/label or quality of "being aware"/"attending to" x y or z, such that it can keep track of who is attending to what ...

Assigning that label/status of "awareness" to the model of us, ( created for the purposes of better organising its attention processes with all the cognitive advantage that leads to ), has the effect of producing what "feels" like our conscious self-experience, when in fact it is just the brain "reading" the data from the model.

Graziano uses the example of the ventriloquist and their puppet. Our brains quickly, easily, almost automatically, assign the attribute, or "state"/status, of "conscious self/consciousness" to the monkey/clown/whatever because that is what our brain does to almost anything which seems to it to have some sort of life. But to do that it has to model the creature.

And to distinguish between others' attention processes and its own it models itself too, and assigns that state of awareness to it, and that model "wakes up" and is "us". That is what our conscious-self-experience consists of. We are models that think they are conscious, models being manipulated for the purposes of higher thought.

And we live in a world made up almost exclusively of those things which the attention processes of our "real self's" brain are attending to at any given moment.

Our whole world is made up of just the one or two ( or perhaps three ) things that our higher cognitive functions are busy with at any given moment. That is *our* life, a tiny little bit of what our infinitely more complex "real selves" are actually doing ( the millions of molecular, cellular, neural activities/events happening all the time ).

We are so used to it that we take that for granted.

Our life is a tiny massively simplified model of our "real self" and it "lives in"/"experiences" a model of the world.

... ... ... ( cont )

[code]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:22: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, the material investigation of spirit is a lost cause. One has to transcend the material to experience it. We can have a poke round the edges and speculate on the mechanisms whereby spirit and matter converge, but having read quite widely round this, I see no account that provides even the slightest possibility of shoehorning the experienced phenomenology into modern neuroscience. Most investigations along these lines are attempts to find some chemical elixir which will create transcendent states. Well, we already have peyote and ayahuasca. And I came across a european formula some time ago for a binary neuroactive concoction that was used in medieval times - mugwort in wine/beer and rue in bread. But if we could create belief by tweaking neurochemistry - I'm not sure that would be a safe world to live in.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
From what you are saying, it seems that our real selves are made up of energy which is the true reality and responsible for the existence of our avatars. So is there only one true self or as many true selves as there are avatars? Also if we are really energy, where did this come from? Finally, the Gospel are readily intelligible on their own terms i.e. against 1st Century, 2nd Temple Judaism. What evidence is there that your alternative reading is (a) required or (b) intelligible?

I have only one "God". You have only one God. Each one of us has only the one God/"real self".

What I see of you is an avatar of you. I do not know how accurate this model of you is, but I do know that it is an avatar/model created by ( my ) God/"real self". You and everyone else that I ever interact with is created by ( my ) God/"real self", ...

... and because this model, "me"/this little avatar and the "world" it lives in, are *part of* the heavenly "real world"/kingdom of waves, particles and energy, if somehow mysteriously divided/separated from it, ( a synecdoche, representing it and part of it at same time ), therefore you, and everyone else I interact with are part of "my real self"/the Kingdom of Heaven.

Hence I *must* love my neighbour "as myself". I can't *see* any "neighbour" who is *not* "myself".

The energy just "is", it is/is part of God.

This alternative reading is required by me, [Smile] and I just wondered if it rang bells for anyone else.

[Smile]

[ 10. May 2015, 15:58: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
IngoB ...
PS. Ref. ex of rock falling; yes the model must match to a certain extent basic physical/real world parametres or it would be a really bad model. But our version is both extremely simplified as well as surprisingly extensively distorted.

And we each of us forever "live in" our own model world, unable to ever get outside of it.

[Smile]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:04: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
IngoB: Also the claim that this Divine entity is in some esoteric sense "me" does not satisfy me in the slightest. That super entity "me" can torture its super self for its super purposes if it wants to, I - bio me - have not signed up for any of that shit!
[Smile]

Totally get that. The Jesus character expresses that state of mind pretty well at a couple of points. [Smile]

I think that it makes a difference to me to believe in the existence of my unimaginably vast and infinitely complex "real self", to feel that vast other dimension ***outside***/beyond this so often highly unsatisfactory model ...

... To simply know that this ****is*** a model, created, makes a huge difference too.

[Smile]

[code]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:23: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

OlivierCA, welcome and congratulations for first posting by starting a thread; I hope you find your place here [Smile]

Please take a moment to preview your posts to make sure the code is right and harried hosts don't have to keep editing it. There is a UBB practice code on the Styx board if you need it. I know it's obsolete but we like it. Thanks in advance!

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/

OliviaCA, welcome and congratulations for first posting by starting a thread; I hope you find your place here [Smile]

Please take a moment to preview your posts to make sure the code is right and harried hosts don't have to keep editing it. There is a UBB practice code on the Styx board if you need it. I know it's obsolete but we like it. Thanks in advance!

/hosting

Thank you. Sorry for the coding mess. Didn't realise. [Smile]

[ 10. May 2015, 16:41: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
And to distinguish between others' attention processes and its own it models itself too, and assigns that state of awareness to it, and that model "wakes up" and is "us". That is what our conscious-self-experience consists of.

And this is exactly and precisely where all such explanation strategies fall flat on their face. There is no such thing as a "waking up" in this. A self-reference is just that, a self-reference. I can program a computer to have some routine that "watches" the activity of other routines. Heck, switch on you Windows PC and start the "TaskManager". Do you think that this piece of software has a "conscious-self-experience"? No? Well, neither would a similar self-observing attention process lead to anything resembling a consciousness. It might inform a consciousness: if there was something that had "woken up" already, then it would need an introspective process to gather data about itself. But this gathering as such does not wake up anything. It just gathers. Self-reference is no magic juice, and it does not become magic juice either if one just stacks multiple self-referential loops on top of each other.

quote:
We are models that think they are conscious, models being manipulated for the purposes of higher thought.

And even if the above was true, rather than being the desperate handwaving of materialists, then this conclusion would still not follow. What you have described does not lead to consciousness, but if it did, then obviously it would do just that. There would be no additional manipulation. There would be no Divine über-me pulling the strings. That's really the whole point of this well-known argumentation strategy, that supposedly consciousness "emerges" from a self-referential system without anything other "manipulating" it.

quote:
That is *our* life, a tiny little bit of what our infinitely more complex "real selves" are actually doing ( the millions of molecular, cellular, neural activities/events happening all the time ).

OK, so now our "real selves" are suddenly not Divine, but rather the basic physical functions of our bodies?

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The info I'm aware of in the area of the OP is flow experiences of which that wikipedia article link provides some data. It can be detected with fMRI (functional MRI) which scans as the brain is doing stuff, and by neurofeedback, which is EEG processed live time by computer. The original research in the area was with meditation, particularly Buddhist, but later mindfulness and other positive states.

The opposite end of the continuum is the psychological trauma which contains elements which probably compare to some historical ideas of possession. There are neurological correlates for that as well.

As for the jump from neuropsychology to God, this is external to the magisterium of science I think. Such are matters of faith. Though I will fully acknowledge that I experience flow at times with a sung eucharist, some musical phrases, and some experiences in the natural world. I'm also continuing to act through (saying/doing) some cadences of prayer because they comfort me, not because I think they attract or persuade God to act in any way.

So I'd say, you can get to a psychological state that may be foundational for religious experiences, but what you build above the foundation is probably the construction of human imagination in the context of social and cultural learning.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

So I'd say, you can get to a psychological state that may be foundational for religious experiences, but what you build above the foundation is probably the construction of human imagination in the context of social and cultural learning.

Don't the two go together? If I just intend to get in a particular mental state without having a spiritual goal in mind, then it's just a mental state. Reminds me of a book I read years ago by Stuart Wilde - where he had been on a 10? day prayer fast and came out feeling renewed, and just down the road (this was in the USA) was a place where people had starved to death in the same length of time when under siege during the civil war.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
quote:
And to distinguish between others' attention processes and its own it models itself too, and assigns that state of awareness to it, and that model "wakes up" and is "us". That is what our conscious-self-experience consists of.

And this is exactly and precisely where all such explanation strategies fall flat on their face. There is no such thing as a "waking up" in this. A self-reference is just that, a self-reference. I can program a computer to have some routine that "watches" the activity of other routines. Heck, switch on you Windows PC and start the "TaskManager". Do you think that this piece of software has a "conscious-self-experience"? No? Well, neither would a similar self-observing attention process lead to anything resembling a consciousness. It might inform a consciousness: if there was something that had "woken up" already, then it would need an introspective process to gather data about itself. But this gathering as such does not wake up anything. It just gathers. Self-reference is no magic juice, and it does not become magic juice either if one just stacks multiple self-referential loops on top of each other.

quote:
We are models that think they are conscious, models being manipulated for the purposes of higher thought.

And even if the above was true, rather than being the desperate handwaving of materialists, then this conclusion would still not follow. What you have described does not lead to consciousness, but if it did, then obviously it would do just that. There would be no additional manipulation. There would be no Divine über-me pulling the strings. That's really the whole point of this well-known argumentation strategy, that supposedly consciousness "emerges" from a self-referential system without anything other "manipulating" it.

quote:
That is *our* life, a tiny little bit of what our infinitely more complex "real selves" are actually doing ( the millions of molecular, cellular, neural activities/events happening all the time ).

OK, so now our "real selves" are suddenly not Divine, but rather the basic physical functions of our bodies?

It seems complicated I agree, and surprisingly difficult to explain, because it involves a twist in perspective which many/most people haven't been trained to engage in, or ever experienced, but once you have "got" the "twist" it is actually very simple. [Smile]

Graziano's "attention schema" theory of consciousness is *not* about "self-observation", that "sort" of relationship is already inherent in the building and use of models generally ie. models only serve any purpose if the system, or part of it, refers to or registers feedback from them.

His theory is about consciousness, what it consists of, and his argument is that it is a kind of illusion produced by assigning the state or "status" of awareness to its model of itself as part of the modeling of the brain's attention processes.

This creates an "experience of self/consciousness - narrative" in which "we" appear to "exist"/experience things inside the model.

The model of our unimaginably vast infinitely more complex "real self" is "*described*" as "being aware of" whatever x y or z that the "real self" is paying attention to at any microsecond, and that *description" is "believed" by the brain such that there appears to be a "me" that is a model/avatar interacting with models of other things or people.

This "conscious-self-experience" that we/this avatar are "made up of" is an absolutely tiny, extremely narrow/limited/blinkered thing.

Our model/avatar "life"/"existence", however amazing/impressive in some ways, is very very small compared to that of our "real self", is in fact like a nut or seed compared to the tree it comes from which is our "real self" and the kingdom of heaven of waves, particles, energy, molecules, cells, etc that it belongs to/is part of.

The extremely limited, simplified thing that *we*, the avatar/model, call life is a mere shadow, pale copy of that extraordinary reality, which you refer to as "basic physical functions".

But it is true that most people in our society are brought up looking down on the body, despising it, or using it as a stupid animal to be driven about like a vehicule, refueled at intervals etc.

I realise that it is very hard to reverse that entrenched worldview, to perceive value in all of that.

People seem to be able to do that about the vastnesses of space, about abstract waves, particles etc, but have difficulty appreciating the glory and immensity of our bodies relative to our little track of thoughts/"conscious-self-experience".

The "twist of perspective" I mentioned is about realising one's position in that system, which is the very very little representative/symbol of the vast infinitely complex, tracking what some of its most complex processes ( of attention ) are up to.

The world that we "experience" is not the real world. The "we" that thinks it is experiencing it is not the "real self" but a model.

Graziano thinks that it is a question of "comfort zones", that the idea of being merely a model, of such a different place in the world, is very shocking and difficult to accept for a lot of people, and that results in them not being able to understand, not having eyes to see in fact.

But it is not an unimportant role, far from it, because the feedback from the model(s), or *representation(s)*, of the attention processes *to* the processes of attention themselves, which are in the *business* of organising ( enhancing or reducing etc ) various *representations*, *including* those representing itself/the attention processes, creates what he calls a "strange loop", such that this model/avatar "us" and the model world we live in, play a part in directing/shaping those advanced cognitive processes.

Even the story of Noah and the flood may be a bit of description of how the "attention model" evolved, from including the representation of many more/other cognitive processes to submerging most of them, the "lower" level ones, and retaining only the most advanced/most complex cognitive processes to do with long-term planning, being able to imagine the future, capacity for complicated calculations, etc ... sustained productive effort on a long-term projects like the arc to escape the flood, etc ... because while the model included representations of all/so many it was too "noisy"/there was way too much noise of conflict between extremely-short-term thinking and long term thinking etc.

[Smile]

[ 11. May 2015, 08:14: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

PS. The view from the model to the "real self" is like looking at space perhaps, except that the space we "see" is in the same dimension as our model-me, not quite as big. I think the "nut/seed" compared to "full-grown tree" analogy is pretty good. [Smile] That is what my unimaginably vast and infinitely complex "real self" feels like to me/this little avatar, because there is the suggestion of passage of time too, and of being in a different "state".
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

PPS. The nut/seed is "representing" the tree in a way. [Smile]
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
His theory is about consciousness, what it consists of, and his argument is that it is a kind of illusion produced by assigning the state or "status" of awareness to its model of itself as part of the modeling of the brain's attention processes.

Who is having this illusion? All you and Graziano are doing is to "explain" consciousness by pointing to some process or the other and hiding away the "woken up" bit somewhere else. This explains nothing and shows nothing, other than perhaps to demonstrate that there is an irreducible problem here which will not disappear no matter where one tries to hide it. The statement "this model of self ascribes the feature of awareness to self" is just not the same as saying that you experience yourself as aware of things. A few dozen lines of code in a computer program will do what you claim there. I can create a monitoring program that sets an "awareness" flag for itself. So what? That doesn't make this program any more aware of itself than any other program I have ever written. It just means that a flag has been set. Nobody is home because of that.

quote:
The model of our unimaginably vast infinitely more complex "real self" is "*described*" as "being aware of" whatever x y or z that the "real self" is paying attention to at any microsecond, and that *description" is "believed" by the brain such that there appears to be a "me" that is a model/avatar interacting with models of other things or people.

This description however completely fails to establish any kind of consciousness. All of this functionality can be realised as purely mechanistic setting of variables. Nobody need be actually aware in any of this. Setting a bit in your computer from 0 to 1 that is labeled "awareness" in your program does not change the awareness of your computer. The only thing it does is to set a bit from 0 to 1, and thereby assign a descriptor (in the assessment of an external observer).

quote:
The extremely limited, simplified thing that *we*, the avatar/model, call life is a mere shadow, pale copy of that extraordinary reality, which you refer to as "basic physical functions".

You appear overly impressed by physics. Take a bucket of rusty nails. Shake it a bit. To describe in comprehensive detail what this is (down to every molecule) and what is happening (down to every change of every molecule as the nails bounce around in the bucket) is an essentially hopeless task. This is a system of near infinite complexity, which we can only ever hope to approximate in a very loose manner in any possible model description. However, it is also just a bucket of rusty nails.

quote:
But it is true that most people in our society are brought up looking down on the body, despising it, or using it as a stupid animal to be driven about like a vehicule, refueled at intervals etc.

This is insulting, confused, but most importantly, irrelevant. Your point of view fails on its own terms irrespective of what attitude people may have to their bodies.

quote:
The world that we "experience" is not the real world. The "we" that thinks it is experiencing it is not the "real self" but a model.

So, if I put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, this does not happen in the real world and it is not your "real self" that dies, but just a model? Good to know, this really simplifies the moral calculus guiding my actions.

quote:
Graziano thinks that it is a question of "comfort zones", that the idea of being merely a model, of such a different place in the world, is very shocking and difficult to accept for a lot of people, and that results in them not being able to understand, not having eyes to see in fact.

And I think Graziano is a fool who is prepared to speak obvious nonsense in order to protect his ideological materialism from blatantly failing. But then I wouldn't claim that such "ad hominem"s are decisive in any way. It is the fact that I can argue successfully that Graziano's theories are bunk which matters, not that I can find psychological reasons why Graziano may be motivated to maintain such ideas.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

I'll have another crack at explaining this. [Smile]

Taking the usual/traditional "this is the real world" viewpoint on this:

The brain runs many models of things in order to facilitate various functions/processes.

One of the models that it runs is of its "attention processes".

This "attention-schema" runs models of three things:

1 ) A model of whoever ( or even *what*ever ) it perceives to be "paying attention to something"

2 ) A model of whatever is "being paid attention to"

*** and ***

3 ) A model of the attention itself, which model we will call for clarity's sake "awareness", and it is a complex/richly detailed thing this model, full of variations, involving the types of attention, etc.

When the "model of attention" or attribute of "awareness" is attached to the model of someone else, ( even a puppet or a character in a book/film ) we will experience that someone ( or something ) as having a "conscious - self", that person or thing will seem to have "life" to us.

When that attribute of "awareness" is attached to the model of "ourself" that information is also "read" by the brain such that the model ( "inside it" this time, though it is perfectly possible to experience it as *outside* too as in an out-of-body-experience ) seems to have life, like the ventriloquist's puppet, like the model of our friend etc.

It is only ever a model of "attention processes" though, of those top one or two ( or perhaps three ) things that our most complex/advanced cognitive processes are "working on" in that instant, ie. it is an exceedingly narrow "view", like down a tube.

It is microscopic compared to what the whole of our "real self" is doing, all the millions of processes and events which lead up to those higher cognitive functions, among other things.

That vast realm of waves, particles, energy, and molecular interactions, cellular activity, etc is what determines every single thing in you/your avatar's life, every single last thing about the tiny/highly simplified *model* world that you "live in". Every thing you experience is the result of that realm, created by that realm, by your "real self".

"You" are a precious part of the model/representation, producing data for the attention processes about which representations to enhance, which ones to fade/drop. But the decisions are being made by that realm, not by you. You don't need to worry about anything because it is that "real self" that has to process how to deal with things.

It is rather like the perspective of a ( lucky ) little child, ( whose parents sort most things out for it ). And my "real self" does feel like some sort of super-parent, taking care of everything.

If you throw a rock at me then it is not me/this avatar but my "real self" which will ( hopefully ) duck. "I" will have almost nothing to do with it, except in so far as data from this model of me, you, and attention processes influences its reaction.

It just occurred to me that perhaps you still believe in contra-causal free-will. That would be a serious obstacle to understanding/appreciating this analysis/parallel. [Smile]

NB. Ref. the powerful experience of a "conscious self"/life of some kind which is just a product of processing data: A recent study showed that simply introducing a very small time-lag between when a subject moves their arm/hand to touch something and when a robot behind their back ( connected to their arm/hand ) replicates exactly those movements, and touches their back, will cause the subject to believe that there is someone else in the lab room with them, to such an extent that some of them refused to continue with the experiment.

[ 11. May 2015, 11:40: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
That vast realm of waves, particles, energy, and molecular interactions, cellular activity, etc is what determines every single thing in you/your avatar's life, every single last thing about the tiny/highly simplified *model* world that you "live in". Every thing you experience is the result of that realm, created by that realm, by your "real self".

"You" are a precious part of the model/representation, producing data for the attention processes about which representations to enhance, which ones to fade/drop. But the decisions are being made by that realm, not by you. You don't need to worry about anything because it is that "real self" that has to process how to deal with things.

That's all fine, but for this one little nagging problem: there just is no "me" in any of this, at all. You are constantly using the same unwarranted leap in the various iterations of this. You are speculating (rather freely, it has to be said) about some form of mechanism within me that does the required "data collection" and "modelling" that I find myself experiencing. And then you make the leap to say that I am that very mechanism. But that does not follow at all. That is a bit like saying that when I read a book and become immersed in the story it tells, the book is me. But that's obviously nonsense. Likewise, the description of some brain mechanism that supplies the sort of input that I find myself experiencing by introspection does not at all mean that I am that mechanism. You have a Frankenstein problem there. Just stitching up dead body parts (just collating data and model descriptions) does not make a living being. You need some "lightening" power to make it come alive. Even if your description was not mostly speculation, even if you had much better data than anybody in neuroscience currently has, it would not help you. Just like the most perfect surgery in stitching together dead body parts does not create anything living. What you need to say is precisely how you step from the data and the model to "me" experiencing all this. This is a qualitative shift, so you require a qualitatively different cause. No amount of quantitative detail on data or model will solve this for you (except perhaps by inspiring you where to look for something qualitatively different).

quote:
It just occurred to me that perhaps you still believe in contra-causal free-will. That would be a serious obstacle to understanding/appreciating this analysis/parallel.

I don't think that you know what "contra-causal" would mean. Actually, I don't know what that could mean. "Non-causal" I could possibly understand, but what "contra-causal" could be is rather mysterious. Anyway, what you probably mean is something like "not physically deterministic". And indeed, if our will is actually "free" in some sense, then it cannot be "physically deterministic" in the simple sense that I could in principle predict its decisions from physical observations (if I only gathered sufficient data and computing power).

I find it slightly irritating to talk to people who believe that they are nothing but a bunch of mechanistic processes, if highly complex ones. After all, if they are right then talking to them is really just like talking to ELIZA. A highly complex ELIZA, but ELIZA nonetheless. I don't really want to waste my time talking to a biological chatterbox.

quote:
NB. Ref. the powerful experience of a "conscious self"/life of some kind which is just a product of processing data: A recent study showed that simply introducing a very small time-lag between when a subject moves their arm/hand to touch something and when a robot behind their back ( connected to their arm/hand ) replicates exactly those movements, and touches their back, will cause the subject to believe that there is someone else in the lab room with them, to such an extent that some of them refused to continue with the experiment.

And what precisely do you think this proves? Nobody has denied that we perceive the world through layers of sensory and neural processes. Discovering details about how this works is fine neuroscience, but in no way or form addresses the fundamental question of "self".

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
quote:

Don't the two go together? If I just intend to get in a particular mental state without having a spiritual goal in mind, then it's just a mental state. . .
Yes, exactly.

I'm reminded of the theory of a schizophrenic person who told us in a lecture in the 1970s what he thought was the meaning of the Eden story. He thought that the unconscious mind formerly had a direct connection with God, which was broken and disconnected and we have been struggling even since to get back to our Garden Minds. This sort of theory has been suggested in various ways since, though taken in some rather odd directions at times.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
quote:

Don't the two go together? If I just intend to get in a particular mental state without having a spiritual goal in mind, then it's just a mental state. . .
Yes, exactly.

I'm reminded of the theory of a schizophrenic person who told us in a lecture in the 1970s what he thought was the meaning of the Eden story. He thought that the unconscious mind formerly had a direct connection with God, which was broken and disconnected and we have been struggling even since to get back to our Garden Minds. This sort of theory has been suggested in various ways since, though taken in some rather odd directions at times.

Yes, these are quite common ideas. I've met them in 3 contexts - Jung described an unconscious and quasi-divine Self which produces the ego, and this has been quite influential; some Eastern religions describe the seeker as the source; and some New Age people talk of the inner Christ.

Quite interesting ideas, and they are all working around dualism and non-dualism. But purely as ideas, all rather sterile - the question is, how are they embodied and lived.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
You are constantly using the same unwarranted leap in the various iterations of this. You are speculating about some form of mechanism within me that does the required "data collection" and "modelling" that I find myself experiencing. And then you make the leap to say that I am that very mechanism. But that does not follow at all. That is a bit like saying that when I read a book and become immersed in the story it tells, the book is me. But that's obviously nonsense. Likewise, the description of some brain mechanism that supplies the sort of input that I find myself experiencing by introspection does not at all mean that I am that mechanism. You have a Frankenstein problem there. Just stitching up dead body parts (just collating data and model descriptions) does not make a living being. You need some "lightening" power to make it come alive. Even if your description was not mostly speculation, even if you had much better data than anybody in neuroscience currently has, it would not help you. Just like the most perfect surgery in stitching together dead body parts does not create anything living. What you need to say is precisely how you step from the data and the model to "me" experiencing all this. This is a qualitative shift, so you require a qualitatively different cause. No amount of quantitative detail on data or model will solve this for you (except perhaps by inspiring you where to look for something qualitatively different).

It has already been solved, but it does seem to be difficult to explain clearly, and/or in less than several thousand words, and/or to certain people. [Smile]

I appreciate very much your replying to my posts, because it is obvious that I need to practice explaining it in such a way that it is understood/understandable, eg. in the right order, with the "right" metaphors, ( avoiding the wrong/misleading ones etc ), etc, and arguing it over and over again in different ways is one way to learn how to do it better. [Smile]

Right! ...

First of all, "I" am *not* "the mechanism". [Smile]

The mechanism, the "attention model/schema", is run by the "brain"/"real self".

"I"/this "conscious self experience" am the product of the mechanism's modeling of the whole "real self" and its "attention processes" plus the object of those processes at any given moment.

This "I"/"conscious self experience" is produced by the brain running the highly simplified but nevertheless still extremely detailed models of itself and its attention processes "together".

That data/info is "read" by the brain ( the "real self" ) as "the model is aware" and therefore "the model ( ie. the constantly renewed/recreated "us" ) ***is*** "aware"" ***in the model*** because the *model* is determined by the brain/"real self"'s data.

Our "conscious-self-experience" only exists/happens *in* the model. In the same way as we perceive white as an absence of all colour whereas in the "real world" of waves, particles, etc it is actually the presence of all colours/many waves of light so our "conscious self experience" is "*of* the model".

The "model of itself"/us/the avatar experiences "awareness" because the brain/"real self" "says that it is so". The "real self" "says"/determines that there shall be white that looks like no colour in the model and there is, whereas in the real world/kingdom of heaven white is all colours.

Ref. Eliza: I agree with Graziano on this, that it may not be long before an AI of some kind *does* declare/express "conscious self experience".

[Smile]

[ 11. May 2015, 13:39: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
That data/info is "read" by the brain ( the "real self" ) as "the model is aware" and therefore "the model ( ie. the constantly renewed/recreated "us" ) ***is*** "aware"" ***in the model*** because the *model* is determined by the brain/"real self"'s data. Our "conscious-self-experience" only exists/happens *in* the model.

The problem is that in your scheme there is no actual experience anywhere, but merely an assignment of labels. To attach the label "aware" to something does not make that thing "aware". For example, we may mistake some robotic device as being "aware". Just because we then have classified its actions as "aware" does not somehow magically impose a consciousness onto that robotic device. If some brain process somehow assigns an "aware" label to a self-reflective activity measurement of that brain itself, then this is simply not equivalent to me experiencing the world from a "me" perspective. A label is a label, it is not an experience. But I do experience, that is factual data (arguably it is the most certain data available to me). Since a label is not an experience, describing experience as a labelling process (however complex) is simply counter-factual.

quote:
Our "conscious-self-experience" only exists/happens *in* the model. In the same way as we perceive white as an absence of all colour whereas in the "real world" of waves, particles, etc it is actually the presence of all colours/many waves of light so our "conscious self experience" is "*of* the model".

This is confused. It may well be true that our consciousness is a construct that is based on, but not identical with, reality - just like "white light" is. But that does not help us at all in explaining how we manage to experience this consciousness (or for that matter this white light). There just is no mileage in going on about how thin a slice of reality we manage to bring to our minds, the problem is that we do, however thin it may be. The problem is qualitative, not quantitative.

quote:
Ref. Eliza: I agree with Graziano on this, that it may not be long before an AI of some kind *does* declare/express "conscious self experience".

It can declare/express this all it wants, but it won't have any. AI is my friend here, not yours or Graziano's. Because in AIs, unlike in brains, we have an excellent idea about what is going on, and we are in control. We program AIs. And the problem that I'm trying to communicate to you here comes to the fore perfectly when you try to communicate to an AI programmer that she should program conscious experience into the AI. That programmer will not have the slightest clue how to do this. Nobody in the world right now has the slightest clue how to do this. We can certainly program AIs to react to all sorts of inputs in a more or less appropriate manner, and if we want we can even make them report about this in terms that resemble human reports about their experiences. But that we can teach an AI to process an input does not mean that we know how to make it experience that input. We don't know what that entails, in terms of actual code to be programmed into an actual computer.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
The problem is that in your scheme there is no actual experience anywhere, but merely an assignment of labels.

That is the point. [Smile] The model ( of our "selves", other people, the world and everything in it ) is made up of labels, of descriptions, of words for things, of *names* for them.

The model is made up of representations/symbols for things.

So the attribution of the "status" or *label* of "awareness" to the model which is "us" is all it takes *in the model* to "make us aware"/experience a conscious self.

[Smile]

[ 11. May 2015, 14:49: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
So the attribution of the "status" or *label* of "awareness" to the model which is "us" is all it takes *in the model* to "make us aware"/experience a conscious self.

Basically your claim here is that if we write "banana" on a piece of paper, then we have an actual banana. This is however not the case, as one quickly finds out when one tries to eat it.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
quote:

Basically your claim here is that if we write "banana" on a piece of paper, then we have an actual banana. This is however not the case, as one quickly finds out when one tries to eat it.
I'm pretty sure you realise that that is *not* my claim here. I hope so anyway ...

*I*, the little avatar/model of my unimaginably vast and infinitely complex "real self" can definitely *not* do that ...

But placebos do work to a surprising extent with about a third of people, especially with pain management. ie. Belief does have a significant effect on one's experience of things ... We do see the difference that names/labels make to things ( eg. how most people report that an expensive wine tastes better than a cheaper one, when in fact the labels were reversed ... ).

But the main point is that it is the brain/ the *real self*, that unimaginably vast infinitely complex being, ( *not* the model/the little avatar/"me" ), that does the labeling.

Our "experience" is the results of that labeling.

A model is always a representation, made of symbols of the "real thing". We are models living in a model/"interacting with" other models, and we have "conscious self experience" because that label is assigned to us by our vastly greater infinitely more complex "real self"/brains.

The model has to resemble the "real" in enough ways ( especially the grossly physical/concrete but also anything(s) which are highly valued or take up a lot of "place" in a society, eg. money ) to provide the brain with good enough data about its attention processes ...

... so in many ways my model will correspond with yours etc ...

... but it will never the less have many differences, which may not be noticeable for a very long time, or only in certain v specific circumstances, but that does not alter the fact that it is a model, made up of "labels"/descriptions/names/symbols, which our brains/"real self" assigns/distributes, from the very basic division of the world into light and dark for instance, and land and sea, through to conscious and unconscious etc.

We live in models in which the name or label of something ( eg. water or wine etc ) makes a very real difference, but we are not responsible for the distribution of the labels, or only very indirectly/slightly via the feedback the model provides about representations/attention processes.

[Smile]

[ 11. May 2015, 16:56: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I'm pretty sure you realise that that is *not* my claim here. I hope so anyway ...

I realise that you are not aware that your claims amount to this. But I hope to change that.

quote:
Our "experience" is the results of that labeling.

How so? This is precisely the missing bit of magic that you keep skirting around.

quote:
A model is always a representation, made of symbols of the "real thing". We are models living in a model/"interacting with" other models, and we have "conscious self experience" because that label is assigned to us by our vastly greater infinitely more complex "real self"/brains.

You write "because", but give no reason why having this label assigned by our "real self" would lead to any kind of experience in us. If I write "happy" on your forehead, you do not necessarily become joyful. Assigning the label "aware" to "model-me" also does not do anything necessarily other than assigning that label. In particular, you have given no indication how it would lead to any experience of consciousness. That's somewhat unsurprising, given that you have not told us anything about how the "model" leads to any experiences we have. The world analysis that this "model" may provide does not automatically lead to some kind of experience. Just like writing "banana" on a piece of paper does not create a banana. It may feed into the creation of an experience, of course. Just like having the word "banana" on a piece of paper may lead to the acquisition of a real banana from the supermarket, if used as a shopping list. But that's a separate process about which you have been curiously silent.

quote:
We live in models in which the name or label of something ( eg. water or wine etc ) makes a very real difference, but we are not responsible for the distribution of the labels, or only very indirectly/slightly via the feedback the model provides about representations/attention processes.

Who is this "we" who lives in these models? Where did they come from, and how do they live in them? Of course, if we allow for some kind of homunculus living in our brain, who lives in a kind of virtual reality created by our brain, then it is entirely plausible to talk about labels causing experiences, in the homunculus. The problem then becomes that the homunculus is not plausible as such, and that furthermore analysing how the homunculus does this would be basically a repetition of the analysis of ourselves. So would end up with another homunculus within the homunculus, and another one within that one, and so on in an infinite regress...

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
You give no reason why having this label assigned by our "real self" would lead to any kind of experience in us. If I write "happy" on your forehead, you do not necessarily become joyful. Assigning the label "aware" to "model-me" also does not do anything necessarily other than assigning that label. In particular, you have given no indication how it would lead to any experience of consciousness.

The reason why the label of "conscious self experience" or "awareness" being assigned/applied to our model-"me"/avatar by the brain/"real self" leads to our apparently having "conscious self experience" is the same as for why our "real self"/brain applying the labels "alive" or "dead" or "big" or "small" or "red" or "black" to things in the model makes those things have those attributes ... ***in the model***.

ie. because if the brain/"real self" assigns those properties to things in the model, including the model of itself, then the those things *will* "have" those properties, including "conscious self experience".

The label/description of "awareness" is a very complex label, full of detail about what that consists of, the sorts of behaviour it involves, the consequences of it, etc, ( just as richly detailed as the labels "tree", "child", or "truth" ), it is a faithful model.

The detailed description/narrative conjures up/creates the "conscious self experience". Because it "says" that that is what you/the avatar/model is "doing"/"has".

Applying the label of "awareness" to us/this little avatar/model of itself creates that quality/property for "us".

I don't seem to have managed to make it clear to you that it is not "you" that applies the labels, but the "real self"/God. :?

It is ***not*** "you" the avatar/model which applies the labels, which builds/creates the model; it is God/your unimaginably vast infinitely complex "real self" which does that.

***You*** are a model, part of the mechanism, not in charge, just a tiny contributor to processes.

[Smile]

[ 11. May 2015, 18:07: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found my conversation with Eliza far more entertaining:

> Hello. My name is Eliza. How may I help you?
* You may kiss my salted arse.
> We were discussing you, not me.
* You asked how you may help, I told you.
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* Now I am.
> How long have you been ?
* About six inches.
> Can you elaborate on that?
* Isn't that enough?
> Say, do you have any psychological problems?
* No.
> Are you sure?
* Yes.
> I see.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

why am I not surprised?

--------------------

cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't understand any of this, let alone contribute. But let me add my meagre morsel anyway. I have to break it to you OliviaCA -
*We* are not *Jesus*. Sorry about that.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

well - moot point

Christ IS (God's) Love

And He asks us to be (God's) Love

Clearly, claiming to be Jesus - i.e. His human identity - is not only missing the point, but also patantly falacious (and one may as well choose Jeronimo or Napoleon instead). But the exhoration is to return to God - in which case there is some kind of direct equivalence between *Us* and Christ. More than symbolic.

I doubt that any of this is causal on a Neurological level in the way that we currently define neurology - though there are certainly neurological implications. The common assumption in some parts of medical research that if you can duplicate an effect by creating a certain chemical change, you both understand the mechanism and the cause - is something of a giant leap of the imagination.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
The reason why the label of "conscious self experience" or "awareness" being assigned/applied to our model-"me"/avatar by the brain/"real self" leads to our apparently having "conscious self experience" is the same as for why our "real self"/brain applying the labels "alive" or "dead" or "big" or "small" or "red" or "black" to things in the model makes those things have those attributes ... ***in the model***. ie. because if the brain/"real self" assigns those properties to things in the model, including the model of itself, then the those things *will* "have" those properties, including "conscious self experience".

Well, indeed. You have not explained how any of these labelings cause anything resembling experience. So it is valid to say that you have explained our experience of self-awareness as much as our experience of anything: namely, not at all. What you continue to do here is to believe that you can stop as soon as you have described a (highly speculative) mechanism of assignment within a model. But what you are missing there is the thing or entity that "reads off" the label and realises it into lived experience. The problem has never been that one can somehow track world or mental states. Not that we know exactly how that works, but it seems clear that this in principle can be achieved with neural "hardware". What nobody understands, and what you also fail to tell us, is how this state tracking becomes a world inhabited by us. Note well, the problem is not the building of this world as such, with all its many features and characteristics. That's what you call the "model", and while you have no actual clue how it is being constructed, it is likely that the neurons in our brain can get that job done, somehow. The problem is placing an observer in this world, in this model, who owns it, who sees it, who is alive to it.

To simply say that you can create some "avatar" within this world model answers nothing. In fact, the choice of the word "avatar" is right on the money. Because an avatar (at least in computing) has no life of its own, is a pure conduit for a living person. Just like my name is not "IngoB", I do not look like that little portrait, and what you read here is not somehow produced by a little IngoB entity drifting through cyberspace. All IngoB is, is me, the person looking at the computer screen and typing on the keyboard. You are elaborately and emphatically explaining to us how an avatar is situated in the model. That's like telling us how IngoB comes to live on the Ship of Fools bulletin board on the Internet. That's all fine, but it fails to deliver on the crucial point. You have not explained me. The entity behind the avatar that turns all these writings into (hopefully) meaningful communication. That's what I mean when I say that you rely on the magic of a homunculus, who animates your avatar in your model, who takes the symbols and assignments of your model and makes them be significant in actual experience.

quote:
It is ***not*** "you" the avatar/model which applies the labels, which builds/creates the model; it is God/your unimaginably vast infinitely complex "real self" which does that. ***You*** are a model, part of the mechanism, not in charge, just a tiny contributor to processes.

Be that as it may, it is simply irrelevant to the point I'm making. You are trying hard to convince me of something there to which I would mostly would shrug my shoulders. I could take you on concerning your identification of God with brain, but that is not what I am doing. Rather, I'm telling you that your scheme has big, gaping hole in it elsewhere. And the point is that unless you fill it, all this talk about God and brain doesn't really matter much.

--------------------

Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to interject briefly with a few bits of recommended reading:

The Neural Basis of Human Belief Systems, edited by Frank Krueger, Chief Cognitive Neuroscience Section National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Jordan Grafman, Jordan Grafman

Not neuroscience, but possible useful:
Michael Argyle, Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi, The Psychology of Religious Behaviour, Belief and Experience

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Olivia, it is vitally important that you do not harm yourself or others by testing this worldview to its natural conclusion. I can assure you that they do have consciousness (or at least I do... I think. Of a sort).

Anyway, it is highly possible that God is beyond even higher selves. Go ahead and study and dialogue (in fact, please do communicate with people on this site who will help you, as they are trying to do, to progress). But consider that you have not reached the end of your learning journey. Also, please do not write off your positive childhood experiences in your growth.

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

IngoB, "red", black", "big", "small", etc were not examples of things "causing conscious self experience" or awareness :lol but examples of qualities or properties assigned to things in the model, like "white", all qualities which most people can agree on.

"Conscious self experience" is just another property that most people agree on, despite the fact that it is, like "white", a "convention"/a symbol bearing little resemblance to any real thing. Most people agree that on what white looks like, however erroneously, as they do about "having conscious self experience".

And as most people still believe that free will exists.

I was thinking overnight about the steps it took/takes for me to understand and totally agree with this theory and all its implications, and they range from realising in 2008 that free will doesn't exist, ( that the feeling of being in charge of what I do is an illusion/delusion, that I am virtually an observer in life ), through understanding that what we "experience" is the map and not the territory, ( that words like truth, justice, love, science, etc are all "value judgements" that "we" apply to things/labels like names on a map ), to playing MMMO's for the first time and being blown away by the experience of controlling the little avatar ... among other things ...

... and I think that what all these things have in common is that they involved my abandoning various "grandiose" ideas that I had about my "position"/role in life, like going from being someone really rich and important to being like a very small child in a toy-house ...

As Graziano says about explaining his theory to some people ( till he "is blue in the face" ) I don't know how to make it any clearer that:

1 ) "you" are a model, created by your unimaginably vast and infinitely complex "real self" to represent it *in* a model of "attention processes"

2 ) the model world that your "you" "lives in" is made up of symbols/representations/labels for everything, including *life*, and "conscious self experience". Everything in the model is simply a label/symbol/name on a map, representing something.

3 ) The "model of attention processes" is "read"/run by your brain/"real self" like a book, and the bits of the model/the data/information describing "conscious self experience"/awareness are as ***convincing***/"life-like" as everything else in the model.

There is *definitely* no homunculus; that is one of the things which Graziano's theory debunks.

"Conscious self experience" is a kind of illusion, an artefact created by labels, like so many other illusions created by labels.

You keep saying, IngoB, that "you/I create this avatar", etc, but neither you ***nor*** *I* create this/our avatar/model. "I" ( and the world that I "live in" ) am created by my absolutely awesome and glorious, unimaginably vast, infinitely complex "real self".

The combination of that model of me and the model of my "real self's" attention processes" as "awareness of" produces my "conscious experience". It's a narrative/story.

And I am reeling yet again at how astonishingly mind-bogglingly difficult it seems to be to explain it so that people understand.

It seems so clear and simple to me and many other people, and yet apparently so obscure to so many others. :? :? :? It is weird.

I'm thinking that it must be something that has to be "felt"/perceived/intuited, *given/received* or something.

I love it. It is awesome. It explains so much, makes sense of so many things, fills life with a sort of profound joy and lightness; it is ***real***, and yet I don't seem to be able to explain it to anyone who doesn't *already* get it. :?

:?

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
Olivia, it is vitally important that you do not harm yourself or others by testing this worldview to its natural conclusion. ... Go ahead and study and dialogue (in fact, please do communicate with people on this site who will help you, as they are trying to do, to progress). ... Also, please do not write off your positive childhood experiences in your growth.

O_O Huh? :? :lol

By "natural conclusion" you are referring to ... ? :?

:? ...

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
Just to interject briefly with a few bits of recommended reading:

The Neural Basis of Human Belief Systems, edited by Frank Krueger, Chief Cognitive Neuroscience Section National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Jordan Grafman, Jordan Grafman

Not neuroscience, but possible useful:
Michael Argyle, Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi, The Psychology of Religious Behaviour, Belief and Experience

K.

Thank you very much. I will go look at them.

This is the book which triggered my recent revelations ref. God and the "real self":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Consciousness-Social-Brain-Michael-Graziano/dp/0199928649/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431443241&s r=1-1&keywords=graziano+consciousness

Graziano also explains the theory at his website at:

http://www.princeton.edu/~graziano/Consciousness_Research.html

[Smile]

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

@ Komensky [Smile] ...

I had a look at the two books, and although they both seem interesting in their own right they *don't* appear, ( at first glance anyway, though I may look again at the first one, "because Churchlands" :lol [Smile] ) to cover/explore the issue of different planes of reality, models and so on that Graziano's theory does so thought-provokingly! [Smile]

Graziano is actually an Atheist, and I don't get the impression that he perceives any connection between his theory and belief in God except in that humans have tendency to attribute the property of "consciousness"/awareness to all sorts of things, non-living and non-animal as well as living and human etc, and that this might be at root of certain religious practices/rituals/beliefs etc.

But when I asked him he did confirm that his theory did involve two planes of reality. [Smile]

Thanks again for the book refs though.

[Smile]

[ 12. May 2015, 15:26: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
It is highly possible that God is beyond even higher selves.

This is the only bit of your post which I feel I understand. :? :oops

In one sense/at a certain "level"/in a certain state I can find myself agreeing with this; after all surely my "unimaginably vast and infinitely complex real self" "lives" *in* some sort of world among other people etc ...

And when I first read Graziano's theory and "felt" its meaning in a religious sense I thought that his theory provided supporting evidence or proof for the ideas/beliefs of the Gnostics, with their teachings about the "Demiurge", or "builder-god" who created this world of illusion, but was a deceiver/trickster/misleader to be wary of, to avoid being tempted by etc.

I thought that the Demiurge referred to my vast and complex "real self", which had built this model I lived in, and that I "must" try to see past it, through it, to the "real God" beyond ...

And I believed this for a few weeks/couple of months, read some of the Nag Hammadi writings, and "explored"/tested out/"tasted" ( mentally, etc ) the idea of three planes of reality ... but somehow it didn't work for me, felt full of negativity ...

( Also the only bit of the Nag Hammadi writings which I really clicked with was the Gospel of Thomas ... [Smile] eg. "if you understand these things you will become like me" said Jesus [Biased] ... etc, which is significantly different, makes absolutely *no* mention of Demiurges, and sounds v like an extremely early/unadulterated/undoctored version of the ( canon ) Gospels in fact ... ).

And then I changed my mind/totally re-eavaluated my position after someone on a Naturalism forum I belong to ( because Naturalists don't believe in free will and that is still quite rare/precious ) suggested that our "real self" was actually totally at ***one*** with the rest of the "real world"/universe of waves, particles, energy, ie. is not the stunted and/or twisted and/or unimpressive thing we might, based on our "model-me experience", imagine our "real selves" to be, however semi-divine in powers etc.

ie. it would not be subject to all the "digitalisation"/dualities/black and white-value-judgments that the model is because of the necessary simplifications required ... ie. the model is perhaps cursed with intrinsically divisive "mechanics" ( perhaps a basic symbol system made up of yes and no or similar ).

I think that it is possible to imagine a third layer of reality between the model and the kingdom of heaven/world of waves and particles and energy, but I didn't find it helpful or positive.

ie. At the moment it seems to me that my "real self" *is* that "thing" most accurately represented by the social construct/label God, and that it is at one with/same thing as the the kingdom of heaven, more or less ...

I concede that it is still possible that it will turn out to be a lure/the "builder-god" instead ... but at my current stage it feels totally divine.

[Smile]

[ 12. May 2015, 16:07: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016