homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The bible is a horror story (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The bible is a horror story
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So said the persuasive interviewee yesterday on CBC's Tapestry.

quote:
"At the end of scripture, legions of angels are basically mass-murdering human beings. It's a blood-up-to-the-knees kind of thing!"
I also found this list of horror stories.

I know various explanations such as there are good and bad examples, that it's a story of faith and history not just God etc. But--

I found the horror story angle rather persuasive from an intellectual perspective. Coincidently I was reading some literary criticism which discussed communion as any sort of eating together, an intimate activity and sharing. Which brings up vampires and zombies, cannibalism, and Revelation, and the twisting of Christian imagery even within the bible itself.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard a preacher say: 'The Bible is a love letter' and thought 'Have you read it all?'.

Although I think the preacher was partly right and that the Bible contains a lot of beauty. I also think it's partly right to say that the Bible has elements of the horror genre within it (maybe as a contrast to the beauty).

There are whole images and phrases which would never have occurred to me if I had never read the Bible. So, as an example, I don't think I would have come up with the idea of a whore getting drunk on the blood of the saints on my own.

There are other elements of horror and even gore in the Bible, for example, of Amasa's guts spilling out when he is assassinated. And despite the horror on social media of ISIS beheading people, the Bible is full of decapitations which have also been portrayed in Bible-inspired art.

(As an aside, I once went to watch a Facebook linked video which was titled 'Terrorists play football with heads of Christians' and I thought, 'How lovely, let's look how football can bring Christian leaders and terrorists together, I must watch this'. You can probably imagine my face as I realised that I had got the whole thing a little wrong.)

So yes, some horror, a little gore, some genuinely eerie moments - Saul calling up Samuel's ghost, apocalyptic scenarios, people getting hung and pecked at by vultures. Brilliant.

Not entirely a love letter.

[ 12. May 2015, 06:53: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What astounds me is the love in the horror. Superhuman, transcendent love in the horror. Existential, contingent, mundane, evolving horror projected back on to Love that shines above cloud. On the other side of the world.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I also found this list of horror stories.

Just passing, and fixed your link...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
What astounds me is the love in the horror. Superhuman, transcendent love in the horror. Existential, contingent, mundane, evolving horror projected back on to Love that shines above cloud. On the other side of the world.

Eh?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:

Eh?
[Cool] Yeah but remember that Shakespeare - the writer of great beauty and love also wrote Macbeth. The Bible is full of both beauty and ugliness.

The horror genre is interesting in terms of survival. In that the survival genre is involved (as with the Bible).

There was once a horror magazine in which the letter writers would always rant against believers because believers always rubbished the horror genre.

You don't need me to tell you that life contains too much horror, but as a genre, there are elements of beauty in horror as Martin infers.

[ 12. May 2015, 09:55: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If warriors are committing genocide and pause for an hour to recite poetry that's no comfort for their victims.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
If warriors are committing genocide and pause for an hour to recite poetry that's no comfort for their victims.

We've all been a victim of Pam Ayres, but there is no need to mention her on this thread about horror. Actually I take this back - we are talking horror. I once went to see Carol Ann Dufy speak and she said 'I hope you've all had a good day, I'm very glad to end it for you.'

I was the only one in the crowd that laughed.

Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That the Bible was conceived and written by humans ought to be considered beyond doubt. Unsurprisingly, it is full of the sort of nasty shit that humans do to each other. Much, much worse than that, it is full of the nasty shit that God does to people and his sinister plans for the future. There is much to admire in and learn from the Bible; but In toto it is hardly a guide for moral behaviour. As a human book about human fears and human desires it is endlessly fascinating. Horror stories, of course—but there are some nice stories too.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from no prophet etc's OP

quote:
"At the end of scripture, legions of angels are basically mass-murdering human beings. It's a blood-up-to-the-knees kind of thing!"
Er... the book of Revelation is not necessarily meant to be taken 'dumb wooden' literally.... as for the whore therein 'getting drunk on the blood of the saints' - quite a good image of persecutors.

I note that the 'horror stories' in the link are basically all given a considerable 'spin' by the person concerned rather than seen in their proper biblical context.

Human sinfulness is a horror story; the Bible portrays a God who is on the one hand very rightly intolerant of that sinfulness, and who occasionally does dramatic things about it to make sure we understand that; but who on the other hand is forgiving way beyond what we deserve, otherwise the Bible would be a much shorter and much more horrific story....

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
the Bible portrays a God who is on the one hand very rightly intolerant of that sinfulness, and who occasionally does dramatic things about it to make sure we understand that; but who on the other hand is forgiving way beyond what we deserve, otherwise the Bible would be a much shorter and much more horrific story....

What about justice for all the men, women and children he is said to have murdered?

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible has plenty of sex and violence which should be X rated, its stories are far more exciting than some of the pathetic plots of the so-called horror movies.

The overall theme is the triumph of good over evil. Why don't we cringe at the demise of the baddies in films if we complain about it in the Bible, I wonder?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
from no prophet etc's OP

quote:
Er... the book of Revelation is not necessarily meant to be taken 'dumb wooden' literally.... as for the whore therein 'getting drunk on the blood of the saints' - quite a good image of persecutors.

I note that the 'horror stories' in the link are basically all given a considerable 'spin' by the person concerned rather than seen in their proper biblical context.

Human sinfulness is a horror story; the Bible portrays a God who is on the one hand very rightly intolerant of that sinfulness, and who occasionally does dramatic things about it to make sure we understand that; but who on the other hand is forgiving way beyond what we deserve, otherwise the Bible would be a much shorter and much more horrific story....

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know that the kind of phrases such as 'crucifying Christ afresh' or even the image of hell would have occurred to me if I hadn't read the Bible. Are you going to say that worse things would have entered my imagination if I hadn't read the Bible? I know that God can do no wrong, but I'm not totally convinced that some of the things in the Bible have made things better. Some of the things are horrific. And they are the kind of things I think about when I am ill.

[ 12. May 2015, 10:47: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to regard the Judeo-Christian God as basically accurately portrayed throughout the Books, for, ooooooh, 40 years and more. Dreadfully pragmatic. Well 'ard. Eden. The Flood. Babel. The Exodus. The lot (... yeah, him too). ESPECIALLY Revelation. Ooooooooooooh YES! Because life before death didn't matter. Afterlife did. So He was going to be all Fonzy to the Amalekites in the Second Resurrection.

Like the vast majority of Christians to this day it turns out, me. Apart from Him turning out to be cool of course.

Now I realise it's ALL us, projecting ourselves on God, on Love. Who nonetheless DID inspire the people behind the myths. The only God we have ever known is revealed in Jesus. In the behaviour of Jesus. The words are predicated on the behaviour. NOT the other way around. If it looks and sounds like Love, it's God, if it doesn't, it's us. Covers everything really. I can't think of ANY exceptions. From Genesis through the so called 'hard sayings' of Jesus to Revelation.

The light of Love shines in ALL of the horror stories. My favourites being Abraham under the Terebinth Trees at Mamre - bargaining with God for Sodom and Gomorrah - and Jonah - through whom God saved hundreds of thousands of people, a million, from His wrath, against Jonah's will. Stories of an ASTOUNDING God, rooted in the Bronze Age and soaring in to transcendent eternity. A MERCIFUL God. The God of The Flood who promised no more with the rainbow.

The horror is all ours. And we're INNOCENT in it. It can't be helped. It's part of mud becoming light.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Bible reflects truth then it reflects truth both about God and about us, both about the transient and the eternal. If we forget that the Bible is about us then we see the transient as being the eternal and recoil in horror. If we forget that the Bible is about God then we see the the transient overwhelm the eternal and turn away in despair.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know.

Okay, maybe the bible is merely a moral lesson: don't listen to snakes, and don't fall for their marketing ploys. I always wondered why the snake wasn't killed, and the devil wasn't killed. Or maybe like Jason, God wanted lots of sequels with lots of temptation so the bad ones have to remain undead. And lots of bloody slaughter is so much more satisfying than a flood, and which a promise not have another is rather lame isn't it?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
The Bible has plenty of sex and violence which should be X rated, its stories are far more exciting than some of the pathetic plots of the so-called horror movies.

The overall theme is the triumph of good over evil. Why don't we cringe at the demise of the baddies in films if we complain about it in the Bible, I wonder?

Because films aren't held up to us as instructions from the Most High God as to what is right and what is wrong?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Because films aren't held up to us as instructions from the Most High God as to what is right and what is wrong?
Sorry—and do you think the Bible in toto is a good moral guide to what is right and wrong?

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
quote:
quote:

Sorry—and do you think the Bible in toto is a good moral guide to what is right and wrong?

K.

I think the larcenous murine's point was that it's held up as being one.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

Ok, sorry if I lost the thread.

K.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Er... the book of Revelation is not necessarily meant to be taken 'dumb wooden' literally....

So, just like horror stories then! From the corpus of Edgar Allen Poe's work to having a giant lizard wreck Tokyo to various versions of the zombie apocalypse, good horror stories all have subtextual themes and underlying moralities. Do you think it was purely coincidental that George Romero set his zombie apocalypse in a shopping mall?

To get completely meta on you, here's Fred Clark noting parallels between the moral code outlined in Scream (which was itself a deconstruction of the moral code common to the slasher film subset of the horror genre) to the pre-millennial dispensationalist horror novels of the Left Behind series. Like all good horror tales, there is a sequel.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father forgive them. They know not what they do.

Horrific indeed.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet wrote:

quote:
And lots of bloody slaughter is so much more satisfying than a flood...[/QB]
Oh, I dunno. Irwin Allen got a lot of mileage out of diluvian-esque themes(if never an actual flood). Granted, nowadays John Carpeneter is probably considered hipper.

[ 13. May 2015, 14:19: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There are only parts of the Bible which are held up as instructions from God about right and wrong, eg the Ten Commandments and everything about Jesus. The rest is a mixture of genre, mostly what people have said or sung about God, but also pictorial prophecy which has come from God to reassure us that the good guys and gals win in the end.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

The bit where God kills loads of Egyptian children is pretty horrific. Also the bit where God kills David's son. Not just kills him but makes it suffer agony for ages first.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Love doesn't do that. We project that.

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bible often seems like a horror story to me, that could be down to a generally cynical nature much of the time.
I don't mind hearing it read in church or sometimes on evango- TV. Occasionally if I'm asked to read it in church that's not a problem. However, reading to myself at home can produce an uneasy feeling in the pit of the stomach.

Does it put horrific thoughts in my head which weren't previously there? As a child brought up in an agnostic/atheist household I can recall plenty of horrific images, and the relevant nightmares to go with them -- all entirely unconnected to the Bible.

I suppose it's possible that our culture, and history of horror narrative has been influenced by the Bible. If we studied cultures that had never encountered the bible, or had any exposure Christian teaching it might be possible to gauge if it causes horror or not.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So you weren't brought up in a Judeo-Christian culture?

--------------------
Love wins

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
I once heard a preacher say: 'The Bible is a love letter' and thought 'Have you read it all?'.

It's a really kinky love letter. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

Yeah, and sent out to huge swathes of people. What kind of love letter is that?

[code]

[ 14. May 2015, 09:57: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

Youtube - McCarthy (music) - Should the Bible be Banned?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The bit where God kills loads of Egyptian children is pretty horrific. Also the bit where God kills David's son. Not just kills him but makes it suffer agony for ages first.

The part where a brother and sister commit the same offense against a holy leader, but only the sister is stricken with flesh eating disease because sin is so much more disgusting when a woman commits it. The part where women are driven to eating their babies because God got pissed off and sent in a foreign army to besiege Jerusalem to soothe His feelings. The part where some poor schmuck who is trying to keep the Ark of the Covenant from hitting the ground is zapped to death for daring to touch it.

Yeah, plenty of horror. Lurid stories feature in a lot of cultures, and since the Bible ( from a historical perspective) is a kind of overview of the growth of a specific culture's world view via its hallmark literature, there is no reason their own lurid stories would't feature.
Here's a question: what is the function of a horror story to a community? Does it function as a locus for group anxiety? A way to discharge internal trauma, whether suffered by an individual or a society?
( I actually am a horror fan, so I wonder about this a lot.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
So you weren't brought up in a Judeo-Christian culture?

Indeed I was Martin. Having non-practicing Christian parents was no protection from such.

Suppose I was saying that many of the horror stories generations have been fixated with have often been inspired, indirectly by the Bible, or more directly by Centuries of Church teaching.
Grimm's fairy tales and Witch stories spring to mind. Also take Bram Stoker's Dracula, parallels between his horrifically seductive novel and Christian belief are plentiful.

Cultures that have not been influenced by the Bible haven't always been immune from horror. Not sure where the Aztecs came by the idea of removing beating hearts from their donors/victims ?!

[ 14. May 2015, 18:55: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be an obsessive folklore buff-- African, Greek, Asian, you name it. And I guarantee you gruesome stories are everywhere. Vengeful supernatural entities, heroes that enact shudder - worthy revenge. Which leads me to believe some of the stories are a kind of psychological " acting out" of group troubles or ethos.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the end of Revelations depicts a new Jerusalem being reestablished. A new Jerusalem where God will be enthroned, the tree of life will be replanted, and there will be no more tears.

The battle of Armageddon is between the world powers and God. God wins.

Not a horror story at all.

[ 14. May 2015, 20:12: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Actually, the end of Revelations depicts a new Jerusalem being reestablished. A new Jerusalem where God will be enthroned, the tree of life will be replanted, and there will be no more tears.

The battle of Armageddon is between the world powers and God. God wins.

Not a horror story at all.

Yeah, and The Exorcist ends with the litte girl being saved from Satan and hugging a priest.

I'd say the rest of the plot is still sufficient to qualify for the horror genre, though.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

To me, the Revelations resemble Stephen King's explanation of what drove him to write " The Stand"-- for one thing, it gave him a chance to kill off everyone in the world who pissed him off, in colorful ways. The Revelations describe what was already happening-- occupation and oppression-- and shows what happens to the bad guys when justice comes. Colorfully.

[ 14. May 2015, 20:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible contains horror, sure, but also awe, violence, love, self-sacrifice, murder, rape, philosophy, theology, poetry, prose, fiction, myth, truth, lies, joy, fear, and genealogies. Lots of genealogies.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what a number of us are reacting to is the title of the thread, the Bible is a horror story.

First, it has many different genres in its pages. Some of the more beautiful poems are in it as well as terrifying stories.

Second, no prophet said the End of Revelations was the account of the Armmegedan, it isn't the end of Revelations. The end is the establishment of the New Jerusalem where there will be no more tears.

You have to remember as well the Christian church was already undergoing severe persecution especially in Asia Minor (note: the seven churches listed in Revelations are in Asia Minor)
Some, however, feel Revelations is a tract intended to warn against accomodating Christianity with the secular world.

Yes, the writer uses very vivid language, but it is not to terrify as to present the promise that the earth will be remade or resoted and the New Jerusalem will have God established in this New City.

Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The presence of horror in a story doesn't make it a horror story. Romeo and Juliet includes a 13 year old child stabbing herself to death in a tomb next to dead bodies but it's not a horror story. A lot of the world's great literature contains horror.

The Bible isn't a horror story because it isn't a story. It's a collection of every kind of genre including a fair bit of history (or pseudo history) and history contains any amount of horror.

What troubles me is not the horror in the Bible but the times that appear to endorse injustice - the deaths of Job's first children - what did they do wrong? The women who are put forward to be raped to save male guests. The vast quantity of people Joshua & Co finished off etc etc.

Horror is sadly part of life so it makes sense to me that it should be in there.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I used to be an obsessive folklore buff-- African, Greek, Asian, you name it. And I guarantee you gruesome stories are everywhere. Vengeful supernatural entities, heroes that enact shudder - worthy revenge. Which leads me to believe some of the stories are a kind of psychological " acting out" of group troubles or ethos.

Indeed I agree it's safe to assume that with the human comes the horror, Bible or no Bible. In fact it would be pretty remarkable if a Scripture, first written over 4000 years ago, didn't contain horror.

Horror is as you say a necessary part of humanity, particularly when growing up. I guess we're reaching a stage now where IT technology allows it to be acted out in a safe environment. My son often played computer games which involved shooting figures in the head etc. Whenever I quizzed him about it the answer was always that the thought of doing it for real was repugnant.

The reason critics find it easy to poke fun at the less than pleasant Bible extracts is that Christians are perceived as loved-up wusses who shouldn't be into that kind of thing.
Also I think there is a problem for those of us who get the Jesus,(born again), hit. We sometimes open the Bible expecting to be transported away on a fluffy cloud yet become troubled when reading Bible nasty bits, esp. stuff like the prospect of secular family members being eternally roasted simply because they didn't believe in Christ.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Helen-Eva. Why does it trouble you?

--------------------
Love wins

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Have you read Job? It says Job was a God-fearing man. The children? Not so much. They were given to partying. It says that Jobe would daily offer sacrifice to God on behalf of his children in case they had sinned or cursed God. Fact is, I think they all got killed while partying.

But, then again, I don't take the story of Job literally. There are maybe two sections in Job that are biographical Job 1:1-5 and probably the last chapter of Job in which his wealth is restored. Okay, he probably did not live for 140 years.

What happens in between is a dramatic play or reading.

It is much like a movie in a way. Just because you see people depicted as being killed, in reality, you know they are not.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with partying?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

Yeah, and sent out to huge swathes of people. What kind of love letter is that?

[code]

What kind do you think? [Biased]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What's wrong with partying?

Exactly. At the right parties, there's no end to the wine if you party with The Righteous Dude. Though he comes to a horrific end. Did it have to be torture to death? Yes because it's a horror story.

I always wondered about Isaac's PTSD. Due to double child abuse from both father and Father. Nice of God to stop it at attempted murder.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
The reason critics find it easy to poke fun at the less than pleasant Bible extracts is that Christians are perceived as loved-up wusses who shouldn't be into that kind of thing.

I think it's more the case that christians tend to claim that God is supremely just. Which the bible then contradicts.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's obvious that individuals and nations have different ideas about what constitutes justice, so I suppose it's unsurprising that people disagree about whether or not God is just.

Some atheists would argue that any god who allowed the world as it is to exist couldn't possibly be just. In this sense, what the Bible says is neither here nor there; even a sacred text full of puppies and buttercups and Christmasses every day wouldn't negate the horror of an unjust universe.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Rhesus monkeys know what justice is. We ALL know what justice is, like we ALL know what kindness, generosity, tolerance, decency, patience: love is.

--------------------
Love wins

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

I think it's more the case that christians tend to claim that God is supremely just. Which the bible then contradicts.
If you look at it super literally, sure. If you see the Bible as a huge pile of fairytales, you're not gonna get much out of it, either. Folklore, though-- that's an entirely different animal.

Folklore is like a description of the interior chambers of a culture's heart. It is like one of those old family photos where everyone is dressed in strange old clothes, occupied in something that doesn't make immediate sense, and holy cow, is that great grandma's first husband standing there?

I am not saying that the lore might not be based on some historical events, but in order to become lore, a story needs to be told and retold. It is in the retelling that lore is shaped, like a rock that gets smoothed into a unique shape as it gets passed from hand to hand. The shape of the story begins to resemble the personality of the people.

To use a contemporary example: I was really into the J-horror craze a while back, and let me tell you, there is a level of darknessin some of that stuff that makes the Bible look like a Lucy Maud Montgomery book. Because I am a former folklore junkie, and because I have read a bit about the function of folklore, my armchair speculation of the images I was seeing was, this stuff is produced by the grandchildren of wartime Japan.

Think about the kinds of things that would have weighed on the collective consciousness of the average Japanse person in the early 2000's, and add in the dawning of the information age, which means all of a sudden, all around the world, people have access to in formation about their ancestors that they might have wished they never heard:

Details about what happened to people physically as a result of the A-Bomb strikes.

What Uncle Toshio may or may not have done during his tour in Nanking.

Help, our country was run for many years by a megalomaniac nutcase who legally declared himself God.

Oh, and he was in bed with a guy that orchestrated the systematic extremenation of six million people.

You walk into a house and an unescapable, fatal curse follows you forever. ( Hiroshima)The ghost that follows you is an angry young woman who was brutally abused and mutilated. (Nanking) A computer based virus comsumes people's chi, rendering them joyless, souless, suicidal human shells. ( The epidemic of depression and PTSD that developed in post- war Japan, as well as fallout- generated illness.)

More well- documented is America's horror franchise acting out the Cold War paranoia-- our movies were all about alien invaders and radiation born catastrophes/ epidemics. The collective terror at being conquered and occupied, and the collective fear/guilt at having unleased the atomic beast on the world to do God knows what.

We look at the Bible from a very long distance-- those funny clothes have been rendered into dust for millenia, and there is no chance of getting that first husband's name, ever. But humans are still humans, and humans work out their salvation by telling stories. By looking at how we do it now, it might give us some tiny clues as to why they might have done it then.

It's always bugged me that people refer to the Bible as " just a bunch of stories"-- not because it challenges the stories of the Bible, but because it disparages the importance of stories.

[ 16. May 2015, 15:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016