homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » ignorance about Jews - Nostra aetate 50 years on (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ignorance about Jews - Nostra aetate 50 years on
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This document had revolutionary implications for Christian understanding of Judaism - for evangelism, in teaching, preaching, liturgy &c.

It doesn't seem that much has changed.

What do others think?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What weight does that carry in Church affairs today? I had a real sense of the love and compassion behind it as I was reading the text. Very moving.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things that struck me very forcibly this Easter at the Vigil service was how deep our roots are in Judaism......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True - though one commonly used Anglican version has the Jewish readings shrouded in darkness and the lights come on when we get to the New Testament - 'The people that in darkness sat....'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it might be useful to have some examples of those things you consider have not changed.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

There are still people who want to convert Jews.
People still think the pharisees were rule-bound and hypocritical.
Hymns still blame the Jews for killing jesus and not recognising as messiah.
Jews are spoken about in the past tense as if they no longer exist.
It is very rare for seminaries to deal with Jewish issues in scripture and preaching.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The speaking about Jews only in the past tense is an interesting one that comes up just as much for progressives as conservatives. On Dead Horse issues, often people will reference the laws of kashrut as if nobody keeps kosher anymore!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All very noble on the surface.

Meanwhile, 70 years after the end of World War II in Europe the Vatican still won't open up its archives on how people in the curia established and ran a 'ratline' from early 1945 enabling thousands of nazi war criminals to flee Europe and begin new lives in, mainly, South America.

And the canonisation of Pius XII draws ever closer.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with that. Surely every Christian should desire the conversion of the Jews, especially on account of our Lord who came from those people and preached to them the gospel first.

quote:

Our Lord says they were.

quote:

This is a difficult one, bound to raise tempers. I won't go into it any further.

quote:
Jews are spoken about in the past tense as if they no longer exist.

Not sure what you mean here.

quote:
It is very rare for seminaries to deal with Jewish issues in scripture and preaching.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean here or how it's relevant.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with that. Surely every Christian should desire the conversion of the Jews, especially on account of our Lord who came from those people and preached to them the gospel first..
No - they have their own covenant and even Pope Benedict said that it was wrong to evangelise Jews.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Our Lord says they were.
The scholarship that we now possess shows this to be false. Jesus engaged in intra-pharisaical argument with them and nothing that he said was any different from what other pharisees said to each other.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Have you read th Vatican document that this thread refers to? It explicitly instructs seminaries to deal with Judaism in the light of its teachings and they haven't done so.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with that. Surely every Christian should desire the conversion of the Jews, especially on account of our Lord who came from those people and preached to them the gospel first..
No - they have their own covenant and even Pope Benedict said that it was wrong to evangelise Jews.
When did he say that? What is the point of our Lord inaugurating a new covenant then, a covenant both he and his Apostles preached to the Jews?

[ 20. May 2015, 15:05: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
quote:
quote:

Our Lord says they were.
The scholarship that we now possess shows this to be false. Jesus engaged in intra-pharisaical argument with them and nothing that he said was any different from what other pharisees said to each other.
Eh?
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you read the Vatican document that this thread refers to? It explicitly instructs seminaries to deal with Judaism in the light of its teachings and they haven't done so.
Yes I have a number of times and whilst I would say there are some problems with the document I'm having trouble finding where it agrees with your first objection especially.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And all of this is making the assumption that all Jews are religious, when that is far from the case.

My Jewish relatives range from the ultra religious to what are termed 'secular Jews'.

It wasn't for their religion that the jews were herded to the death camps, it was for their race.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or rather, the notion that there is such a thing as a Jewish race.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Our Lord says they were.
Eh?
It wasn't a 'new'covenant but a 'renewed' (in the Greek) one which extended to Gentiles too.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Must remember to get myself circumcised then.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Our Lord says they were.
Eh?
See Jesus and pharisees saying the sdame thing

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - the Pharisees weren't inherently bad, just going by the letter of the law rather than the spirit. Jesus was in effect a liberal Pharisee.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Yes - the Pharisees weren't inherently bad, just going by the letter of the law rather than the spirit. Jesus was in effect a liberal Pharisee.

I think the point is that the old stereotype of the Pharisees going "by the letter of the Law" and misding the spirit is inaccurate. Within the movement, there was a huge amount of debate.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, I feel that how the Pharisees are portrayed in the Gospels is a bit of a caricature of how they really were. I guess every story needs some baddies.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I for one am not willing to say that the Gospel writers and our Lord himself were wrong. If it contradicts what modern scholarship says then it is modern scholarship which must be in error.

[ 23. May 2015, 10:48: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
quote:

I think the point is that the old stereotype of the Pharisees going "by the letter of the Law" and misding the spirit is inaccurate. Within the movement, there was a huge amount of debate.
Also I think the term liberal is inaccurate and in a sense anachronistic. Jesus' view on divorce and arguably gentiles was not liberal.
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It wasn't a 'new'covenant but a 'renewed' (in the Greek) one which extended to Gentiles too.

In fact, what the Catholic Church teaches - and has always taught and will always teach - is that the old covenant was fulfilled in Christ. "Renewed" conveys the highly misleading (because false) notion that all that changed was opening the same old deal up to more people.

If the old deal still applied to the Jewish people and was entirely sufficient and salvific for them, why did Christ come to establish the new covenant in His blood at all? Why did He call the Jews in the first place? What did He call them to? Why did the apostles and other disciples not only accept that new deal themselves, but preach it to all the other Jews as well as to the Gentiles?

Perhaps you really do believe that the Jewish people are missing nothing by not accepting Christ as their promised Messiah - as their saviour and the Lord their God. But I can assure you that that is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches. Chapter and verse from actual teaching documents, please, if you want to argue to the contrary.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with that. Surely every Christian should desire the conversion of the Jews, especially on account of our Lord who came from those people and preached to them the gospel first.
No, 'every Christian' should not. As I believe people have tried to explain to you before, you are not the arbiter of what any Christian should believe, much less all of us.
quote:

quote:

This is a difficult one, bound to raise tempers. I won't go into it any further.
But you still felt it necessary to post that. This 'not touching you' game is pretty tedious.

t

[ 23. May 2015, 13:28: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teulfechen, I don't see you beef with AdOr here. What was wrong with him saying that the issue leo raised about the hymns was a tricky one and one he was going to avoid?

More subtantively, and this is directed to leo too, do you not believe that Christ Himself wanted His own people - the Jews - to hear and embrace the good news (i.e., not "olds")? Did He not die for them too? If not, why not? I'm genuinely puzzled.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

If I thought I was the arbiter of what others should believe, which is why I said "should" instead of "must". However, I find it difficult squaring the contrary belief with the gospel. I just don't see it, for it would seem the both Christ and his Apostles were speaking bollocks.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
I for one am not willing to say that the Gospel writers and our Lord himself were wrong. If it contradicts what modern scholarship says then it is modern scholarship which must be in error.

It isn't that the gospels are 'wrong' - it's our interpretation of them. Much moden scholarhip has helped us to understand Jesus against his Jewish background and shown us that the words he spoke resonated very differently agaimnst that backdrop.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
More subtantively, and this is directed to leo too, do you not believe that Christ Himself wanted His own people - the Jews - to hear and embrace the good news (i.e., not "olds")? Did He not die for them too? If not, why not? I'm genuinely puzzled.

He died for all.

The 'good news' for Jews was recalling them to the extension of the covenant to gentiles and the 'new hearts' written of by Ezekiel et al.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This puts me in the almost unheard of position of thinking that Chesterbelloc and Ad Orientem have a good point. If Jesus was the Messiah, is he not the Messiah of the Jewish people as much as (more than, even) the gentiles?

(X-post with Leo, whose post I can't somehow make sense of)

[ 23. May 2015, 15:04: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

In fact, what the Catholic Church teaches - and has always taught and will always teach - is that the old covenant was fulfilled in Christ. "Renewed" conveys the highly misleading (because false) notion that all that changed was opening the same old deal up to more people.

If the old deal still applied to the Jewish people and was entirely sufficient and salvific for them, why did Christ come to establish the new covenant in His blood at all? Why did He call the Jews in the first place? What did He call them to? Why did the apostles and other disciples not only accept that new deal themselves, but preach it to all the other Jews as well as to the Gentiles?

Perhaps you really do believe that the Jewish people are missing nothing by not accepting Christ as their promised Messiah - as their saviour and the Lord their God. But I can assure you that that is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches. Chapter and verse from actual teaching documents, please, if you want to argue to the contrary.

Obviously, I disagree. Then again, I heard Prof. Gavin D'Costa recently saying that different people select their favourite bits of Nostra Aetate and that it needs to be read in the light of Lumen Gentium, whicxh has hifgher authority becausde it is a doctrine/teaching document whereas the former is 'guidelines'.

The differing interpretatiomns bny extreme traditionalists and the likes of Kaspar are spelt out in

"campaigns that target Jews for conversion to Christianity are no longer theologically acceptable in the Catholic Church."

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Teulfechen, I don't see you beef with AdOr here. What was wrong with him saying that the issue leo raised about the hymns was a tricky one and one he was going to avoid?

I believe it is the action of God through Jesus Christ which is effective for salvation, not our witless attempts at proselytising. If Jesus is the Messiah of the Jews, it's not our business to try and make Jews un-Jewish.

I also don't think we have anything like sufficient distance from the manifold evils perpetrated in the name of converting the Jews to be able to view any current or future such project neutrally.

And my beef with Ad Orientem was that he picked up a reference to the one area of our religious practice where we still dig up the wretched idea of Jews as Christ-killers, and said it was bound to raise tempers, so he wouldn't say any more. I don't suppose saying 'yes, that's bad' would raise tempers, so it looks an awful lot like coming close to saying something alternative to that, and then shying away. If he didn't want to say anything, he could just have said nothing.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
I heard Prof. Gavin D'Costa recently saying that different people select their favourite bits of Nostra Aetate and that it needs to be read in the light of Lumen Gentium, whicxh has hifgher authority becausde it is a doctrine/teaching document whereas the former is 'guidelines'.

So where does Lumen Gentium say that the Jews needn't concern themselves with the Gospel of Christ?
quote:
The differing interpretatiomns bny extreme traditionalists and the likes of Kaspar are spelt out in "campaigns that target Jews for conversion to Christianity are no longer theologically acceptable in the Catholic Church."

What is the point you wish to make in linking to that particular (lengthy) document? It's rather a smokescreen without your saying what relevance it has to the point in hand.

I repeat that if what you're trying to do is claim that the Catholic Church does not teach that Christ came to bring Jews and gentiles alike into His mystical body the Church, and that the Church should not preach the Gospel to all, Jews and gentiles both, you'll need to point to the bits of actual authoritative teaching documents where you think that is being said.

quote:
It isn't that the gospels are 'wrong' - it's our interpretation of them. Much moden scholarhip has helped us to understand Jesus against his Jewish background and shown us that the words he spoke resonated very differently agaimnst that backdrop.

[...]

The 'good news' for Jews was recalling them to the extension of the covenant to gentiles and the 'new hearts' written of by Ezekiel et al.

Like Karl, I don't understand what you mean by that.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
I believe it is the action of God through Jesus Christ which is effective for salvation, not our witless attempts at proselytising.

Naturally I agree, but isn't it therefore important, that being true, to tell everyone whom it affects as un-witlessly as we can? Our witlessness shouldn't be used as a cop-out for being witnessless.
quote:
If Jesus is the Messiah of the Jews, it's not our business to try and make Jews un-Jewish.

Meaning what, precisely? That the gospel the Jewish Messiah preached isn't Jewish enough for Jews? [Confused]
quote:
I also don't think we have anything like sufficient distance from the manifold evils perpetrated in the name of converting the Jews to be able to view any current or future such project neutrally.

I think that's just another cop-out, I'm afraid. Don't we as Christians believe that the fulness of the truth about Jesus Christ sets people free - that it is good for them to hear it? Isn't your argument a bit like saying: "I don't think doctors have anything like sufficient distance from the manifold evils perpetrated against patients in the history of medicine to be able to view any current or future treatment of illness"? [Just to pre-empt, I am not saying that Jewish people are "sick" in any sense at all: that's not the point of my analogy.]
quote:
And my beef with Ad Orientem was that he picked up a reference to the one area of our religious practice where we still dig up the wretched idea of Jews as Christ-killers, and said it was bound to raise tempers, so he wouldn't say any more. I don't suppose saying 'yes, that's bad' would raise tempers, so it looks an awful lot like coming close to saying something alternative to that, and then shying away. If he didn't want to say anything, he could just have said nothing.

I think he just wanted to acknowledge the point and to indicate that he thought it too thorny to tackle: saying nothing looks like just ignoring it. Perhaps I'm wrong: I can't speak for him.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Chester,

Yes.

Teulfelchen,

I wasn't aware convertion to Christianity changes a person's DNA.

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Our witlessness shouldn't be used as a cop-out for being witnessless.

Nice!

(Closed course, professional driver. Do not attempt in your own homily.)

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
I heard Prof. Gavin D'Costa recently saying that different people select their favourite bits of Nostra Aetate and that it needs to be read in the light of Lumen Gentium, whicxh has hifgher authority becausde it is a doctrine/teaching document whereas the former is 'guidelines'.

So where does Lumen Gentium say that the Jews needn't concern themselves with the Gospel of Christ?
quote:
The differing interpretatiomns bny extreme traditionalists and the likes of Kaspar are spelt out in "campaigns that target Jews for conversion to Christianity are no longer theologically acceptable in the Catholic Church."

What is the point you wish to make in linking to that particular (lengthy) document? It's rather a smokescreen without your saying what relevance it has to the point in hand.

The point of the 'lengthy' document was to spell out the different interpretations held by RCs.

I repeat that if what you're trying to do is claim that the Catholic Church does not teach that Christ came to bring Jews and gentiles alike into His mystical body the Church, and that the Church should not preach the Gospel to all, Jews and gentiles both, you'll need to point to the bits of actual authoritative teaching documents where you think that is being said.

D'Costa is a prof. of RC theology and on the pontifical commission that deals with other faiths and he explained that different people cherry pick Nostra Aetate but that Lumen gentium has more authority and it ranks religions in salvific order.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

[...]

I can't fully explain that as it would take a summary of Sanders or, on a more simple level, N. T. Wright.

Because the covenant is extended to gentiles, the Jews don't have to bear the weight of being a priestly people all on their own.

[ 24. May 2015, 15:37: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

Leo, apart from the "salvific order" bit (which I simply don't understand: "Christianity: now 63% more saving than Judaism!"?) you've already said this. Nothing that prof says has any teaching authority in itself: why not just point to the bits of Nost. Aet. or Lum. Gen. that you think tell us the Jews don't need Christ's new covenant?

And why can't you summarise the theory you're propounding for us?

As for:
quote:
Because the covenant is extended to gentiles, the Jews don't have to bear the weight of being a priestly people all on their own.

I've already pointed out that "extension of the old covenant" is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches: Christ fulfilled the old covenant and makes everyone, Jews and gentiles alike, a new covenant in His blood. If you want to suggest otherwise, give us chapter and verse from magisterial documents.

[ 24. May 2015, 15:53: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:
quote:

[...]

I can't fully explain that as it would take a summary of Sanders or, on a more simple level, N. T. Wright.

The implication almost seems to be that once enough Jews had become convinced that Jesus was a the Messiah to go out into the Gentile world, and preach, then that was the Jewish people sorted so to speak regarding their relationship with God's actions in Christ.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
quote:

Also I think the term liberal is inaccurate and in a sense anachronistic. Jesus' view on divorce and arguably gentiles was not liberal.
Sorry, using 'liberal' in the sense of less rigid/legalistic - but you're right that it's not the most accurate word.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Leo, apart from the "salvific order" bit (which I simply don't understand: "Christianity: now 63% more saving than Judaism!"?) you've already said this. Nothing that prof says has any teaching authority in itself: why not just point to the bits of Nost. Aet. or Lum. Gen. that you think tell us the Jews don't need Christ's new covenant?

As for:
quote:

I've already pointed out that "extension of the old covenant" is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches: Christ fulfilled the old covenant and makes everyone, Jews and gentiles alike, a new covenant in His blood. If you want to suggest otherwise, give us chapter and verse from magisterial documents.
The document to which I linked shows the wide variety of views at Vatican 2 - the RCC isn't as monolithic as you believe it to be.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
give us chapter and verse from magisterial documents.

Oh. And what is all this chapter and verse stuff. An evo. fundie uses that sort of language.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

Because I can't summarise a whole load of books.

If you were genuinely interested, you'd read some of them.

Also, you have fixated on one issue - the converting of Jews - they say that conversion is worse than the holocaust and many RCs now see that.

You could look at

this.

and this.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

Rather, I suspect, the Catholic Chursh is not as loosey-goosey as you would like it to be. It has actual, checkable, written-down teachings. Like every other body, around those core tenets there is naturally a wide variety of arguments, opinions, etc, more or less assenting to that core but which in themseleves carry no magisterial authortiy whatsoever.

So, once more for luck, I'm asking for two things from you:

1) a reasonable summary of the arguments you cite in your cause;

2) bits of actual teaching documents - not secondary websites or references to what other scholars, no matter how closely involved with the Church's work, may have said - which actually say what you say the Church teaches about the Jews not needing to accept the Gospel of Christ (such that it would be wrong to preach it to them).

I will take your claim that the RCC teaches that Jews don't need Christ's Gospel to be withdrawn if you comment no further on it.

My only concern is that Catholic teaching not be misrepresented. There are enough Catholics out there misrepresenting it without outside voices adding to the throng.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

In fact, what the Catholic Church teaches - and has always taught and will always teachhapter and verse from actual teaching documents, please, if you want to argue to the contrary.
Do you have some sort of prophetic insight into the future so as to know what it will teach for all time in the future.

Isn't certainty wonderful?

I prefer faith.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
"Renewed" conveys the highly misleading (because false) notion that all that changed was opening the same old deal up to more people. that is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches. Chapter and verse from actual teaching documents, please, if you want to argue to the contrary.

The notion of God doing 'deal's with peopler sounds like a used car salesman.

Is the covenant kaine or neos?

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
give us chapter and verse from magisterial documents.

Oh. And what is all this chapter and verse stuff. An evo. fundie uses that sort of language.
Wanting evidence is reasonable and surely is the case for most people. The issue with evo fundies is using chapter and verse out of context, not simply wanting citations. Are Wikipedia editors saying citation needed now also evo fundies?

I have no horse in this race, I'm just not seeing the relevence of bringing up evangelicalism!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016