homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The soul of Britain (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The soul of Britain
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
Where do you think Britain is at when it comes to her spiritual condition?

<snip>

Is it time for another 'Pentecost-style' Christian revival so that the country can heal? Why is the orthodoxy in some circles that there will only be one final great awakening before the end of the world? (Or else that there will be a falling away)?

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I could be wrong, but it seems the Israelites were also sure their prayers for the Messiah hadn't been answered since instead of a conquering hero there was Jesus, a humble servant. Big events usually end up serving human egos and when we fixate on how we think prayers should be answered we miss God's actual repsonse.

The underlying assumption here seems to be that if Britain has a such a thing as a "soul", that soul is Christian. Which is somewhat problematic for a religiously pluralistic society. If Jews are looking for the 'wrong' messiah, does that imply that they (and other non-Christians) aren't really British? Or have lesser Britishness than their Christian fellow citizens? Are they "foreigners, only foreigners that were not called foreigners" in the words of G.K. Chesterton regarding Jewish Britons?

I was just thinking, please God, that there isn't a Christian revival. The Irish vote reminds me that a secular society can get on with improving the lot of women, gays, kids, and others, who were downtrodden under Christian rule. See the Vatican's comment that the Irish vote is a defeat for humanity - I'm reminded of Lawrence's phrase, Look, we have come through!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point that's sticking out for me is that you've hinted that God is punishing the country by withholding revival. What for, do you think? Perhaps identifying what you think are our national sins might give some insight into Britain's metaphorical soul.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm ... probably 'adjustment' rather than 'abandonment' ...

I think Eutychus's point about crisis and process is pertinent here, as well as the 'seasonal' analogies we find in scripture - provided we don't get too literal about 'latter rain' and so on ...

For Protestants, the 'inter-testamantal period' was one of 'silence' - but if you have a look at the Deutero-canonical or 'inter-testamental' books it's pretty clear that there was actually a heck of a lot going on ...

We don't have to put as much 'weight' on these texts as the RCs and Orthodox do to see that.

What was happening in the 400 years between Malachi and the birth of Christ?

Well, quite a lot ...

Same in those OT periods when 'the word of the Lord was rare, there were few visions ...' (I Samuel 3:1).

There is never a time when God is inactive. He might simply be active in a different way to how we might expect.

You seem to be a literary sort of chap, you may appreciate this poem by Laurie Lee - 'Christmas Landscape' -

It illustrates my current 'take' on these issues - although I doubt if that's what Lee had in mind.

See: http://allpoetry.com/Christmas-Landscape

I love the sudden 'volta' or change of direction in the poem. We have all this ice, hunger and pain but ...

But the mole sleeps, and the hedgehog
Lies curled in a womb of leaves,
The bean and the wheat-seed
Hug their germs in the earth
And the stream moves under the ice.

I love this poem. I read it to myself every Christmas.

It reminds me that the Incarnation came with pain - an occupied country, tyrannical government (the Massacre of the Innocents, displacement of peoples ...) - but the Divine was revealed in the midst of that and in the every day ...

So, too, with whatever we understand 'revival' to be, and the way our own lives work out when we think about it ...

We're all going to die one day - and they say that death is pretty painful for at least 50% of us.

Nevertheless, there remains the hope of resurrection ...

'But the mole sleeps, and the hedgehog
lies curled in a womb of leaves ...'

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was just thinking, please God, that there isn't a Christian revival. The Irish vote reminds me that a secular society can get on with improving the lot of women, gays, kids, and others, who were downtrodden under Christian rule. See the Vatican's comment that the Irish vote is a defeat for humanity - I'm reminded of Lawrence's phrase, Look, we have come through!

I don't see how a Christian revival has anything to do with homophobia or prejudice against gays, but however you want to defend your position is just peachy.

[code]

[ 27. May 2015, 10:20: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listen for the faint cracks, listen for the stream moving under the ice ...

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't see how a Christian revival has anything to do with homophobia or prejudice against gays, but however you want to defend your position is just peachy.
You might not, but there's plenty of people (the Vatican for starters, but plenty on the protestant side as well) who think it'd mean returning to "Biblical morality" - which does indeed, in their minds, mean homophobia and marginalisation (at least) of homosexuality. Else why would they react so badly to the Irish vote? Presumably they believe that if there were revival there'd be lots more people voting No.

[code]

[ 27. May 2015, 10:20: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
The point that's sticking out for me is that you've hinted that God is punishing the country by withholding revival. What for, do you think? Perhaps identifying what you think are our national sins might give some insight into Britain's metaphorical soul.

No. I don't see God as punishing the country by with-holding blessings. I have hinted that he is not as giving as we may tell him he is but that is between God and his conscience. I do not see God in any kind of pain or disaster or illness. I see God in gentleness, caring and those who work to alleviate disaster.
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

I apologise Quetzalcoatl, I can be spiky.

Why does a Christian revival have to include lawmaking? People would petition on all kinds of subjects ranging from pro-life issues through to, I admit, equality laws.

An increase in Christians would give greater political clout to Christians. One would hope that having been in the minority we would have some love in our positions and turn away from all prejudice towards others (including gay people), having experienced it ourselves. Unless you would like to claim that being a Christian gives preferential treatment as the atheists say?

[ 27. May 2015, 09:08: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why does a Christian revival have to include lawmaking? People would petition on all kinds of subjects ranging from pro-life issues through to, I admit, equality laws.

An increase in Christians would give greater political clout to Christians. One would hope that having been in the minority we would have some love in our positions and turn away from all prejudice towards others (including gay people), having experienced it ourselves. Unless you would like to claim that being a Christian gives preferential treatment as the atheists say?

No need to apologize. I'd rather not gamble on a Christian revival being a liberal paradise; it's more likely to be a misogynistic homophobic hell.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:

The evidence of history is unfortunately that when religious people feel in a comfortable majority they tend towards enforcing their personal standards on everyone else, because that's what God's said he wants.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
quote:
quote:

You might not, but there's plenty of people (the Vatican for starters, but plenty on the protestant side as well) who think it'd mean returning to "Biblical morality" - which does indeed, in their minds, mean homophobia and marginalisation (at least) of homosexuality. Else why would they react so badly to the Irish vote? Presumably they believe that if there were revival there'd be lots more people voting No.
People would also use it for their own agendas and to make money too. But why is it not a force for good? We are talking about a return of people to the source of all love, mercy and true freedom and not an imposition of some new authority. We are not talking about people living under Sharia law (although who knows that that wouldn't be better than this?) We are talking about an increase in freedom, a revival of love.

The collateral damage would be in the loss of trade for some people. Why would a revived Christian community mean that new laws were made? There would be protest and petition, but hopefully there wouldn't be riot. A Christian revival would reduce the chances of rioting.

No-one else is talking about the socio-economic impact of the thing. But it has happened before so it can happen again - no-one makes contingency plans for it. Or is a secret revival starting in hidden miracles?

I asked whether the revivalists needed to repent first. I suggest that we do.

[code [Waterworks] ]

[ 27. May 2015, 10:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The point I'm trying to make is that however we envisage revival, there's always going to be a rough side as well as a smotth side. History amply bears this out.

Show me one revival where there wasn't some problem of some kind or other - revivals - just as much as 'ordinary' church life, involve people.

Wherever there are people, there are problems.

I've mentioned before, about the Welsh Revival - how for all the increase in numbers at church and chapel there were issues and problems too - many of them neatly air-brushed out of some, but by no means all, of the popular revivalist histories.

I've spoken to people whose parents and grandparents were converted during the Welsh Revival and they told me the same ... just because there was a revival going on didn't make all the problems go away.

That's why I provided the link upthread to the Laurie Lee poem - life, death, joy and pain run concurrently.

That doesn't remove the 'divine' element from the whole thing. God works in and through these things. That's what the Incarnation is all about.

The Russians have a saying about prominent or influential figures, apparently, 'Greatness casts a long shadow.'

It's the same with revival and revivalist movements - yes, there's grace and glory, but there are often casualties and not everything goes as smoothly as we might wish.

Heck, you've only got to read Wesley's journals to see that.

Or the NT for that matter ...

It's like anything and everything else. Marriage has it's upsides and highlights - but it also contains its 'longeurs' and moments of conflict and pain.

Welcome to the real world. Welcome to real life.

Sure, there'll come a day when ...

Rev 21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. And death shall be no longer, nor mourning, nor outcry, nor will there be pain any more; for the first things passed away.

But we're in the here and now, between the 'now' and not yet.

Any view of revival or Christian life and mission in general that doesn't take that into account is wide of the mark, in my view.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

People would also use it for their own agendas and to make money too. But why is it not a force for good? We are talking about a return of people to the source of all love, mercy and true freedom and not an imposition of some new authority. We are not talking about people living under Sharia law (although who knows that that wouldn't be better than this?)
In what way would it be? You have a particular part of Sharia law you think would be better than we have?

[code [Mad] ]

[ 27. May 2015, 10:23: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Less rioting?

[Confused]

There was a riot in Ephesus connected with 'revival' if I remember rightly ...

Wesley and his followers were often met by quite violent mobs.

Russia, nominally, has plenty of Christian believers - but that doesn't stop there being violent, homophobic attacks on gay marches and the like ...

If anything, it probably increases the possibility of that sort of behaviour ...

Puritan New England and Calvin's Geneva were highly 'Christianised' and almost theocratic societies - that didn't stop executions or persecution of those who disagreed or didn't fit in for whatever reason ...

Now, I'm not saying Calvin was a monster or anything of the kind - I'm simply saying that - in and of itself - a significant proportion of any society professing Christian faith doesn't immediately stop violence and so on.

There was a massive transatlantic 'Awakening' in 1859/60. That didn't stop the American Civil War breaking out a few years later, with some 600,000 deaths.

That doesn't invalidate the Awakening, of course, but what it does do is to illustrate that while we're living in a fallen and imperfect world, things continue to go wrong irrespective of how many revivals we have or don't have.

At the 'On Revival' conference I attended, Steve Latham made an interesting and pertinent point -- what would happen if, say, some admired and high-profile Hollywood star or pop music celebrity were to convert to Pentecostalism - for instance?

And, if, as a result, it suddenly became cool, hip and trendy for young people to embrace Pentecostalism?

On one level we'd probably be pleased, 'Oh look, plenty of young people are turning to the Christian faith.'

But on another level, we'd be having niggling doubts - it's simply a fad, a response to fashion trends, how deep does it go? etc etc etc.

There'd be two sides to it.

All I'm saying it's ever been thus.

The Roman Empire becomes 'officially' Christian. Hoorah! Upside - Christian values begin to permeate society. Downside - there's an increase in 'nominalism' and also the use of force to impose Christian hegemony.

Revival breaks out in Wales in 1904/05. Hoorah!
Upside - over 100,000 people are added to the churches and chapels within 18 months. It has a knock-on effect elsewhere - the US, Africa, Scandinavia ... there are revivalist scenes in India and other places. It feeds into the emergence of the Pentecostal movement in the US and then worldwide ...

Downside - it wears itself out, people feel restricted by old-fashioned, puritanical forms of religion that aren't in step with the times ... people are put off by what they see as hypocrisy and a kind of petty-minded religiosity ... there's not a lot of 'depth' to the teaching, there are extended periods of emotional hymn-singing that begin to cloy after a while ...

You see how it works?

Upsides and downsides. Crisis and process. Advance and retraction.

Of course, God is at work in and through it all - in the doldrums as well as the crashing waves.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

"In what way would it be? You have a particular part of Sharia law you think would be better than we have?"

Well, all that stuff about not charging interest on loans seems fairly kind.

But we shall stick with this rancid status quo as the authorities like then shall we?

I am not a Muslim apologist. I have nothing against Muslims. If you want to make the Government's enemy your own enemy that is fine. But our battle should not be against flesh and blood. That it so obviously is shows how we have utterly failed as a society.

A failure which would be changed by a Christian revival.

[ 27. May 2015, 09:45: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Medieval Europe had a ban on 'usury' - changing interest on loans. That's why they had Jewish people as money-lenders. It was ok for Jews to do it, but not Christians ...

[Roll Eyes]

Go on, have your revival, but don't expect it to magically make all the problems go away. It won't, it doesn't, it can't.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
"In what way would it be? You have a particular part of Sharia law you think would be better than we have?"

Well, all that stuff about not charging interest on loans seems fairly kind.

But we shall stick with this rancid status quo as the authorities like then shall we?

I am not a Muslim apologist. I have nothing against Muslims. If you want to make the Government's enemy your own enemy that is fine. But our battle should not be against flesh and blood. That it so obviously is shows how we have utterly failed as a society.

A failure which would be changed by a Christian revival.

In what way. I'm trying to envisage what your post revival society might look like, and why you think it'd be like that.

If you think I see the government's enemies as mine, well, I'm really not sure where you're getting that from. My main enemies as I see them are the right-wing tabloids and their continuous demonisation of the unemployed, the working class and immigrants.

[ 27. May 2015, 09:49: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Medieval Europe had a ban on 'usury' - changing interest on loans. That's why they had Jewish people as money-lenders. It was ok for Jews to do it, but not Christians ...

[Roll Eyes]

Go on, have your revival, but don't expect it to magically make all the problems go away. It won't, it doesn't, it can't.

Oh, okay, off I go then and have my little revival.

I have utterly failed in my debate then. My intention was to change minds and not to win stupid arguments about things which are in God's hands. I hope he is happy in his heaven.

[ 27. May 2015, 09:51: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

"I'm trying to envisage what your post revival society might look like, and why you think it'd be like that.

If you think I see the government's enemies as mine, well, I'm really not sure where you're getting that from. My main enemies as I see them are the right-wing tabloids and their continuous demonisation of the unemployed, the working class and immigrants."

Immigrants would be accepted. This ridiculous prejudice against Eastern Europeans would be tackled as individuals embraced a God of acceptance. There would be a greater social movement to help the unemployed, the vulnerable, the immigrants. There would be massive debate, but for a change immigrants would not feel like second-class citizens as the population began to learn and grow and heal.

Shipmate
# 76

Problem is, I see this revival emphasis as a bit like what my old dad used to say about elections - people expect a Labour victory on the Thursday, dismantling of the Capitalist structures over the weekend and fully functioning Socialism with peace, prosperity and plenty for all by Monday afternoon at the latest.

Similarly we put our hopes in a "revival" where lots of people will become Christians (of the same general subspecies as us, naturally) and all happily work for the good of society. We never ask how this would actually look in reality. I don't share the optimism.

[X-posted]

[ 27. May 2015, 09:57: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
"I'm trying to envisage what your post revival society might look like, and why you think it'd be like that.

If you think I see the government's enemies as mine, well, I'm really not sure where you're getting that from. My main enemies as I see them are the right-wing tabloids and their continuous demonisation of the unemployed, the working class and immigrants."

Immigrants would be accepted. This ridiculous prejudice against Eastern Europeans would be tackled as individuals embraced a God of acceptance. There would be a greater social movement to help the unemployed, the vulnerable, the immigrants. There would be massive debate, but for a change immigrants would not feel like second-class citizens as the population began to learn and grow and heal.

We can get on with doing that without a revival. We can work with the many non-religious people who share the same vision. We can speak out against the Daily Heil and its lies. We can distance ourselves from those who own the faith but want to push society in the opposite direction.

We can just get on with it.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:

Nice idea. How do you know that this would happen, though?

I don't see this as a necessary corollary of revival at all.

If anything, some forms of 'revival' could militate against all that.

The US Deep South remains deeply religious with lots of revivalist movements - but can you point to significant social developments there of the kind you envisage?

I don't doubt that most Christians in the US Deep South are neighbourly, loving and well-adjusted people ... but it's not a part of the world that is particularly well-known for the kind of tolerance that some are advocating here.

The problem, as I see it, is that you have an over-realised eschatology and an unrealistic view of what revival actually entails - based on selective readings both of revivalist literature and the NT.

All I'm asking you to do - as you're asking us in a similar way - is to re-think and re-calibrate your thinking on these things.

What would a 'post-revival' society look like?

Well, pretty much as post-revival societies have looked in the past - some good things, some bad things, some indifferent.

Was the UK post-Wesleyan / Whitefield revival any 'better' than it was previously?

Yes, on balance, in many ways I'd say it probably was.

However, we still needed the Reform Acts and so on - there were still people working long hours in factories and mines, there were still problems with drink, poverty, prostitution and so on. These didn't magically go away.

Sure - there was a lot of fruit in terms of mission agencies and societies, reform movements and so on - but not all of these had a 'revivalist' or even an evangelical base. In fact, people like Lord Shaftesbury were vehemently opposed to revivalism and he was as evangelical as you can get.

Do yourself a favour. Re-calibrate your over-realised view of what revival entails and look at the actual facts and historical evidence.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

My romatisiced utopia of a revival is not so much a problem as the fact that God is refusing to grant his children the revival which many ask for (even on God's own terms). And in saying so does that make it even less likely to be granted?

This is using the same terminology as the Almighty - that he is a Father. So some of his children request a revival. He says 'No' or 'No yet'. But the need is too great. The need of the people who will suffer while we wait. And you can say that we are God's hands and feet and this is true enough to an extent:

But there comes a time when some prayers can only be answered with a miracle and not with effort.

That time is now.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

What the ...?

Why is the time any more needful now than it was at the time of the Black Death when around a third of the people living in Europe and much of Asia died of plague?

Why is it any more pertinent now than it was when half of Europe was at each others' throats during the Thirty Years War?

Or in Neolithic times before the Judeo-Christian tradition had even emerged?

Was God absent then?

I don't see it as a case of God 'refusing' to answer prayer for revival - I see it more as you working with a partial and quite faulty paradigm in the first place - an overly reductionist and over-romanticised one that doesn't take into account sound historical analysis nor even solid biblical exegesis come to that.

I'm not suggesting you are way off beam in terms of generally accepted Christian orthodoxy (small 'o') but you do seem to ave a rather narrow and partial / rose-tinted view of what enthuistic and pietistic forms of Christianity can achieve in and of themselves rather than alongside complementary factors.

None of these things happen in a vacuum. 'Put your trust in God but keep your powder dry.'

Both / and not either / or.

There has never been a revival where virtually everyone has had some kind of conversion experience - although I'll grant that numbers have been high in some revivals and 'people-movements'.

We are told that 3,000 people believed and were baptised on the Day of Pentecost - but not how many weren't or who went home unmoved or unconvinced.

Praise God for the 3,000.

There could have been thousands more present who remained sceptical or unmoved.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

Because many of the people are afraid and many of them are deeply struggling and there needs to be space and freedom to breath and heal and grow. Because there needs to be hope for the children and not a decline in Christianity.

You've nicely defended God so that he is pristine and free of all blame. But what about us? God can defend himself.

I spoke with God over this because, as you know, I prayed the original prayer and I thought this was one time I could win an argument with him. I'm not in the habit of presenting prayers I occasionally make publicly. You know that Christ had strong words towards anyone who showed-off in that respect (although I notice that doesn't stop many prominent Christians from doing so).

I'm a sinner. I presented my request and I petitioned (possibly like a moderately-persistent widow). How bad does the need have to get?

It's just such a cop-out.

User-error?

That is VERY convenient.

I'm just trying to make things better and at the moment all I'm getting is flak for it.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just trying to make things better and at the moment all I'm getting is flak for it.

To be fair, what you're getting flak for is your lack of clarity.

While I would welcome full churches and repeat services to accommodate everyone, you're not firstly, saying whose revival this is - are we going to be suddenly inundated with Orthodox churches as the the population rediscover God through their timeless liturgy, or will the House of Windsor convert en masse to Roman Catholicism and lead the nation to reject the Protestant Reformation and all its works? Or are we going to all worship using badly-written praise songs with unnecessary key changes?

Secondly, you're not at all clear as to why revival is any particular answer to our current socio-economic woes. Or even what those woes are.

Revival may well be the answer, but what's the question?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

While I would welcome full churches and repeat services to accommodate everyone, you're not firstly, saying whose revival this is - are we going to be suddenly inundated with Orthodox churches as the the population rediscover God through their timeless liturgy, or will the House of Windsor convert en masse to Roman Catholicism and lead the nation to reject the Protestant Reformation and all its works? Or are we going to all worship using badly-written praise songs with unnecessary key changes?

Secondly, you're not at all clear as to why revival is any particular answer to our current socio-economic woes. Or even what those woes are.

Yes, what is the premise to this discussion? I mean, it seems to be that we are in a terrible mess, such that even sharia law might be preferable. Eh? Come again - this all seems very vague. I still have my suspicions that mass revival would lead to pro-life, anti-gay, misogynistic, politics. No thanks.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
quote:

Sure, to be fair on yourself.

There are no social woes. All is fine. All is peachy. No-one is in need. We can all go back to sleep.

- And then Puddleglum placed his foot into the fire to break the witches spell. -

It's just madness.

The question is what direction the country needs to take. My conviction is that a Christian revival would be the direction to take.

It seems that few others agree.

That's fine, that's your choice, but when or if it does come - if it comes in my lifetime, then all those who have been against it will be -

forgiven and included in it.

You can have a go at me for my lack of clarity, but I would have thought that a revival should be inclusive and promote unity.

I'm just learning and I'm shocked that so much opposition seems to come from within the Christian community. It's not normal.

I'd expect it from Government or drug dealers who would personally lose out from it. But from Christians?

[ 27. May 2015, 12:59: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are no social woes. All is fine. All is peachy. No-one is in need. We can all go back to sleep.

Which is not what I said. Or came anywhere near close to saying.

I'm known on these boards as being on the (very) radical left - hence the appellation "Deepest Red" under my avatar. So if you think that I believe there are no social woes that need fixing... dude, no. I'm not that guy.

What I'm trying to identify is (a) what social woes are you trying to fix and (b) why a Christian revival will fix them. You're not expressing yourself with sufficient clarity to allow the other posters to engage with the specifics, and I'm inviting you to give it a go.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Alyosha, on balance, I'd welcome a Christian revival too - but as the others have said, you're not making it clear how you envisage this to look.

You're also writing as if it is some kind of catch-all panacea in and of itself - when, historically, this has never been the case. Where revival has been accompanied by genuine social change and the alleviation of suffering there's generally been other factors involved too - it's a lot more holistic than one might get the impression from your posts.

I'm afraid I'm not into the 'blame' game - blaming God any more than blaming us.

Sure, we need more zeal, evangelism, personal piety and compassionate and a whole load of other things as well. But I don't see these somehow floating down in the form of a 'glory cloud' that ... bingo! suddenly makes everything ok.

There's a whacky H G Wells short-story called 'In the Year of the Comet.' It's set pre-WW1 and just as hostilities start, a comet strikes the earth's atmosphere and sucks all the nasty gases and influences out - so that, once everyone wakes up after the impact, all is sweetness and light, the war stops, people begin to share everything in common - there's lots of free love too, which Wells would have approved of - and everyone lives happily ever after ...

Your view of revival strikes me as similar to that - something disembodied and somehow disconnected from the real world.

It sounds more dualistic than incarnational to me.

No-one's saying everything is wonderful - and yes, a religious revival might well help alleviate some ills - but in and of itself it doesn't solve everything.

You've still not explained how it can prevent unnecessary deaths and suffering, for instance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all generations of past revivalists have shrugged off this mortal coil same as everyone else.

As for what's helping to alleviate - but not eradicating - suffering and so on - there are a whole range of agencies involved in all of that - the NHS, the police, social workers, voluntary groups, charities - some with a Christian base, some without - and all many of other means.

You seem to have this view that unless it's based on Christian revivalism in some way it doesn't count.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
quote:

Which is not what I said. Or came anywhere near close to saying.

I'm known on these boards as being on the (very) radical left - hence the appellation "Deepest Red" under my avatar. So if you think that I believe there are no social woes that need fixing... dude, no. I'm not that guy.

What I'm trying to identify is (a) what social woes are you trying to fix and (b) why a Christian revival will fix them. You're not expressing yourself with sufficient clarity to allow the other posters to engage with the specifics, and I'm inviting you to give it a go.

Specifically, the country does not need fixing. Britain was never broken. Britain is sick and needs healing. Specifically, individuals making peace with their creator has a knock-on effect in their lives. Most of these individuals will testify that knowing their creator makes things better for them. The result is a specific outlook of love and mercy towards others.

When this happens, people forgive others. People are gentle with others (and themselves). And people will actively work to make their communities better. Specifically, very few Christians will engage in crime or drug use. Specifically, there is an increased acceptance towards other races and therefore racism decreases. Specifically, people will engage in projects which help the vulnerable and needy.

Specifically, older people are cared for better and children are listened to.

Specifically, most Christians turn away from violence and attempt to promote love.

Specifically, society changes as a result of these things occuring in the lives of individuals. Further social action is taken by the Christians to make things better in society - to combat racism, to combat prejudice, to combat hatred.

So the problems, the woes of racism, prejudice, and a host of self-destructive behaviour are tackled.

Most Christians will also turn away from corruption so society becomes less corrupt.

But I am assured that such thoughts are simply romantic. And therefore I must grow up and learn.

Happy?

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can have a go at me for my lack of clarity, but I would have thought that a revival should be inclusive and promote unity.

Since the underlying premise of a revival is that the present situation is either wrong belief or insufficient fervor on the part of most people, it seems like the kind of thing which would actually promote disunity. After all, the 'problem' is defined as the wrongness of other people's beliefs, which is a very Us vs. Them viewpoint.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Racism, sexism etc are institutionalised and structural. They cannot be defeated by vague notions of love. Sometimes violence is needed.

For myself and other leftist Christians, rioting and oppressed groups fighting back (eg Ferguson demonstrations) are part of a Christian revival.

What you describe sounds nice, it just also sounds totally removed from reality.

Also, we think everything is terrible now because 24/7 media makes us aware of it. In reality we're living in one of the most peaceful and equal times in history - we're hyperaware of war for instance, but actually there's much less war than in previous centuries when as far as Britain was concerned it happened somewhere else. I certainly don't think a country with employment rights, an NHS (well at the moment anyway), protection in law for women and minorities etc needs sharia law in order to improve! Don't get me wrong, sharia is often misunderstood and was actually a liberalisation of contemporary laws when it was introduced, but it's not exactly applicable to 21st century Britain.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

And a lot of those social improvements are a product of a secular society, aren't they? And secular does not equal atheist.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alyosha: of course it's not wrong to dream and hope and pray. It would probably be a good thing if more Christians did so, and perhaps looked at life a bit less cynically.

But I think our major argument with your thesis is that it is just too simplistic: God sends a mighty revival, lots of people are truly converted to Christ, the churches fill, Christian values come to the fore and people become nicer, and society is changed. Most of us would want to add some caveats to that.

For instance: revival does not take place in a religious and sociological vacuum, but in a context. Certain predisposing factors have to be present - for instance, a cohesive sense of community, a certain pre-existent knowledge of the Christian faith, a level of anxiety within society and so on. These themselves will not, of themselves, bring revival; but they create the conditions in which revival can take place.

None of this is to undermine the sovereignty and power of the Holy Spirit; but we must recognise that revival is as much a human construct as a divine one. It is my believe that 1st century Jerusalem and its hinterland were a particularly fertile in which God could work. That might well be true of rapidly-industrialising 18th century Britain, too.

- Past history leads us to say that "mass conversion" does not automatically lead to social improvement. Yes, it may lead to changes in individual behaviours, but it can take a long time to seep down through the general fabric of society and may still leave huge "blind spots".

Of course enthusiastic Christians have been behind many great social reforms (such as the achievements of the "Clapham Sect" and even the modern missionary movement). But whether these should be directly linked to - say - the 1759 Revival or the Methodist Movement is at least debatable.

- I think that many on the Ship are well aware that we live in a multicultural society, the like of which has only existed for perhaps the last 70 years or so. This means that the ideas of a "Christian country" and "shared religious values" seem much less relevant than they did in the past. I know that many sincere Christians would love to see Muslims and others coming to faith in Christ (though others would see this aim as unacceptable and even patronising). Even disregarding this, is it possible for Christian revival to permeate the whole of our nation's diffuse and diverse culture? I doubt it.

- Finally, I think that quite a few people on these boards have, in younger days, ben members of "enthusiastic" Christian groups which seemed to continually proclaim revival as being "just around the corner". You can understand that, after hearing that for 10 or 20 years, expectations become a bit dulled and hopes diminish.

Sadly too many of us have been let down too often, not by God but by his self-styled prophets, to get too excited by the sort of thing you are saying. You will think that that is sad, and you may well be right. But it's the truth. And it has led us to worship in different styles and to read the Scriptures in different ways.

Does that help to explain at all? Or does it simply muddy the waters further?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Alyosha: of course it's not wrong to dream and hope and pray. It would probably be a good thing if more Christians did so, and perhaps looked at life a bit less cynically.

But I think our major argument with your thesis is that it is just too simplistic: God sends a mighty revival, lots of people are truly converted to Christ, the churches fill, Christian values come to the fore and people become nicer, and society is changed. Most of us would want to add some caveats to that.

For instance: revival does not take place in a religious and sociological vacuum, but in a context. Certain predisposing factors have to be present - for instance, a cohesive sense of community, a certain pre-existent knowledge of the Christian faith, a level of anxiety within society and so on. These themselves will not, of themselves, bring revival; but they create the conditions in which revival can take place.

None of this is to undermine the sovereignty and power of the Holy Spirit; but we must recognise that revival is as much a human construct as a divine one. It is my believe that 1st century Jerusalem and its hinterland were a particularly fertile in which God could work. That might well be true of rapidly-industrialising 18th century Britain, too.

- Past history leads us to say that "mass conversion" does not automatically lead to social improvement. Yes, it may lead to changes in individual behaviours, but it can take a long time to seep down through the general fabric of society and may still leave huge "blind spots".

Of course enthusiastic Christians have been behind many great social reforms (such as the achievements of the "Clapham Sect" and even the modern missionary movement). But whether these should be directly linked to - say - the 1759 Revival or the Methodist Movement is at least debatable.

- I think that many on the Ship are well aware that we live in a multicultural society, the like of which has only existed for perhaps the last 70 years or so. This means that the ideas of a "Christian country" and "shared religious values" seem much less relevant than they did in the past. I know that many sincere Christians would love to see Muslims and others coming to faith in Christ (though others would see this aim as unacceptable and even patronising). Even disregarding this, is it possible for Christian revival to permeate the whole of our nation's diffuse and diverse culture? I doubt it.

- Finally, I think that quite a few people on these boards have, in younger days, ben members of "enthusiastic" Christian groups which seemed to continually proclaim revival as being "just around the corner". You can understand that, after hearing that for 10 or 20 years, expectations become a bit dulled and hopes diminish.

Sadly too many of us have been let down too often, not by God but by his self-styled prophets, to get too excited by the sort of thing you are saying. You will think that that is sad, and you may well be right. But it's the truth. And it has led us to worship in different styles and to read the Scriptures in different ways.

Does that help to explain at all? Or does it simply muddy the waters further?

No, it makes sense and I understand all that. I simply want my prayers answered and I have to learn patience and not be so childish.
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Racism, sexism etc are institutionalised and structural. They cannot be defeated by vague notions of love. Sometimes violence is needed.

For myself and other leftist Christians, rioting and oppressed groups fighting back (eg Ferguson demonstrations) are part of a Christian revival.

What you describe sounds nice, it just also sounds totally removed from reality.

Also, we think everything is terrible now because 24/7 media makes us aware of it. In reality we're living in one of the most peaceful and equal times in history - we're hyperaware of war for instance, but actually there's much less war than in previous centuries when as far as Britain was concerned it happened somewhere else. I certainly don't think a country with employment rights, an NHS (well at the moment anyway), protection in law for women and minorities etc needs sharia law in order to improve! Don't get me wrong, sharia is often misunderstood and was actually a liberalisation of contemporary laws when it was introduced, but it's not exactly applicable to 21st century Britain.

I don't know Pomona, I just think that as soon as you take up arms against the oppressor, you have entirely lost the battle. Protest is important and even maybe direct action as a last resort, but I'm not violent and I like those vague notions of love. I do see love as a more powerful force than that really, but maybe the definition has been watered down.

Use the pen over the sword.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
And a lot of those social improvements are a product of a secular society, aren't they? And secular does not equal atheist.

I agree. I think secularisation has done a lot of good in terms of social improvements (note that Ireland is one of the most rapidly secularising countries in the world).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: is it possible to believe in revivals and not be a Calvinist (on the free will issue I mean)?

If God directly intervenes to cause revival, that suggests he directly intervenes to cause people to come to faith, which seems to me effectively equivalent to Unconditional Election.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

I don't know Pomona, I just think that as soon as you take up arms against the oppressor, you have entirely lost the battle. Protest is important and even maybe direct action as a last resort, but I'm not violent and I like those vague notions of love. I do see love as a more powerful force than that really, but maybe the definition has been watered down.

But what exactly do those vague notions of love do? I am not sure how much they help when people are being killed for being black.

What I am talking about IS direct action, and it is just part of a wider fight for liberation. Oppressed groups didn't gain freedoms by sitting and waiting for some vague New Agey cloud of peace and love to descend, they took things into their own hands. Which is what I've already said - I dislike the phrase 'God helps those who help themselves' generally but I think regarding revival it is applicable.

I notice you haven't responded to my comment that we're living in an extremely peaceful time compared to previous centuries.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Question: is it possible to believe in revivals and not be a Calvinist (on the free will issue I mean)?

If God directly intervenes to cause revival, that suggests he directly intervenes to cause people to come to faith, which seems to me effectively equivalent to Unconditional Election.

I don't see why it isn't possible.
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
quote:
quote:

But what exactly do those vague notions of love do? I am not sure how much they help when people are being killed for being black.

What I am talking about IS direct action, and it is just part of a wider fight for liberation. Oppressed groups didn't gain freedoms by sitting and waiting for some vague New Agey cloud of peace and love to descend, they took things into their own hands. Which is what I've already said - I dislike the phrase 'God helps those who help themselves' generally but I think regarding revival it is applicable.

I notice you haven't responded to my comment that we're living in an extremely peaceful time compared to previous centuries.

Things could be more peaceful. We're forever being told to count our blessings and be content. I don't know if things were more peaceful in the past or not. They keep saying this and the last century are the most violent there have ever been. Maybe we do have things good in the UK, but things could be so much better. I don't see that as a whinge, it's just aspiration for a better society.

Or failing that some kind of ambition for greater things, more meaning, a better world.

I do sign petitions for causes I believe in. I am proactive. If that does not promote any level of acceptance from the more militant, it is just one of those things. I've long since learned to stop trying to gain acceptance.

They told me that there was no strange initiation ceremony for new people on this forum. Did they lie to me?

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Well yes but my point is that a better society takes work. Hoping for revival is not work. I'm not saying that you don't do anything, but expecting a revival to just happen and make everything great immediately is incredibly unrealistic, and actually not what has happened with historical revivals.

I don't see why being expected to engage in robust debate is a strange initiation [Confused] Why is it strange to have to defend your arguments?

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Well yes but my point is that a better society takes work. Hoping for revival is not work. I'm not saying that you don't do anything, but expecting a revival to just happen and make everything great immediately is incredibly unrealistic, and actually not what has happened with historical revivals.

I don't see why being expected to engage in robust debate is a strange initiation [Confused] Why is it strange to have to defend your arguments?

Hmmm.

[ 27. May 2015, 15:48: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Sorry, could you perhaps expand a little? Was it aimed at the comment about revival, or about board initiations?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alyosha,
As Pomona says, we do robust debate here. If you are queried, I don't advise taking it personally. I do (strongly) advise reading the board guidelines (top of each board) and the 10 commandments (linked top center of the board.) Know what to expect and follow the rules. You have made enough posts here to have the hang of this. If you have any complaints about how the board is run, take it to the Styx. If you want to make any personal attacks on another poster, and that includes criticizing their posting style, that goes in Hell or nowhere.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that when I first joined the Ship, I was somewhat taken aback by the robustness (is there such a word?) of the debate. But it is all part of the fun and, if nothing else, helps one to think through one's own position.

Perhaps you were thinking, "We're all Christians here, so we'll all agree". But it doesn't work like that. Most of us are Christians (of various breeds and ilks); some have been Christians but now disavow it; some are atheists or people with an argument about faith. And there are one or two (you'll find out who over time) who rather like to be "Devil's Advocate" and take a contrary position simply to propel the discussion forward.

Apart from that, there are just a couple of us who are sweet-natured and really, really nice [Devil] .

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Getting to grips with the debating style is certainly a learning curve. I found it helpful to read old posts and just observe, along with contributing to less controversial posts (eg stuff in Heaven like recipe threads).

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this thread is meant to be about the UK so I hope it's OK if I make a couple of observations about things here in Kenya.
I started a "What is revival?" thread a few months ago because I'd encountered some people here who had family who had been involved with what was called the East African Revival. From what I can glean from personal anecdote it was very much like what has been described up thread- a mixed bag, with good and bad simultaneously happening.
Fast forward to now. Here in our town there is a large slum area and we know quite a lot of Christians who are working there. In fact I sometimes make field visits there myself. Some of the stories that are coming out from there are of revival type signs, wonders and conversions. None of which I can verify. But more importantly to me, if true it appears that the Holy Spirit is only working where certain people are involved....
so maybe the rest of us have been passed by?
Or is it all a load of cobblers?
Or is it like I said above, that all sorts of things can be happening at the same time?
Like the story about Ephesus in Acts which has been mentioned.
So depending on who you talk to here it will be stories of revival or stories of life with a good mixed bag of challenges and joys.

[Confused]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

This isn't exactly answering your question. But it is relevant.

We heard wonderful churches about the churches that had been "touched" by the East African Revival, both in Congo and Rwanda. Yet many of those same Christians became involved in terrible acts of violence and genocide.

People have heard that the Revival was "broad, but not deep". Was there a lack of follow-up teaching on practical aspects of the Christian faith? Was it "too spiritual for its own good"? Was is just frothy and superficial? I don't know, but something clearly went wrong, and parts of the human condition were not touched by it.

(Of course, I'm not discounting the pressures of mob violence, nor the deep-seated differences between tribal groups which go back centuries. But shouldn't Revival have made a difference, even to these?)

[ 27. May 2015, 17:58: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016