homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Suing other believers (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Suing other believers
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And…It gets better. [Big Grin] [Yipee]

A significant sum of money has just turned up from a completely unexpected source! (We have a house in the South-West which we were planning to turn into a rental next Spring. Someone now wants to rent it off us for six weeks in June despite it only having half the furniture [Smile] ) Which will cover a large part of what Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing has screwed us over for.

Which goes to show that God is just, I suppose. Even before this I preferred being in our position than in WISC’s. Now I definitely like my position better.

(WISC is still trying to “win” over some petty details. But that’s All. She’s. Got. She can have them.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

As my husband pointed out, in this kind of situation you’re better off being the victim in some ways. We may be out of pocket, but at least we can look ourselves in the mirror and know we’re not horrible people.

I think this really is in many ways the essence of what Paul and Jesus are getting at. In addition to knowing you did the right thing, you also don't have the grinding effect that harboring bitterness and entrenched hostility has on your heart. While I imagine you've got normal feelings of frustration, resentment and even anger (well, I would, anyway) there's something about acting on them, even justly, that does tend to solidify and magnify those emotions in a way that can be corrosive. You seem to have really acted thoughtfully and with integrity in a very challenging situation, that can only bode well for you in terms of your inner life, if not your financial life.

And good news about the rental! Wonderful to have a bit of the burden lifted.
[Smile]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which goes to show that God is just, I suppose. Even before this I preferred being in our position than in WISC’s. Now I definitely like my position better.

How does it show God is just?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well YMMV obviously.

But I’m pretty content with a solution in which we get to do the right thing and aren’t going to suffer significant financial hardship because of it.

I would rather be in my position because I don’t ever want to be the kind of person who does the sort of thing WiSC did. Like I said, we can look in the mirror and know we aren’t horrible people. She is dishonest through and through. In fact I sincerely wonder if she isn’t a certifiable narcissist. She doesn’t give a rip about anyone else. Today we have more vicious emails from her trying to “win” over the few scraps that she still claim victory in. Fortunately for my mental equilibrium, I have got to the stage where I find her more pitiable than anything else. What.Ever.

Our main quandary at this stage is whether she is likely to try the same kind of thing with someone else in the future. I don’t think she can ever do the precise same thing because there was an opportunistic element to it and I don’t think that situation is going to present itself again. But she unquestionably is capable of treating others very, very badly. We’re still considering what that means.

I think I may have slightly sabotaged my thread [Biased] Back on the original question, one thing I am still undecided about: I don’t think she would have cooperated had she not thought there a reasonable prospect we would sue. It wasn’t her conscience made her behave.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think I may have slightly sabotaged my thread [Biased] Back on the original question, one thing I am still undecided about: I don’t think she would have cooperated had she not thought there a reasonable prospect we would sue. It wasn’t her conscience made her behave.

Most likely not. But that's not the point. We can't control other people's actions, only our own. You've already experienced how freedom of knowing you handled yourself with integrity. That is reward and motivation enough, regardless of whatever the other person does.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is suing someone else not acting with integrity?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew all this was reminding me of something, and I finally got it: the not entirely exemplary behaviour of Lincoln Cathedral staff in the mid nineties. (Cathedral Schism Causing High-Church Dudgeon) Perhaps that has useful pointers in what and what not to do in these cases - or would if anyone here knows how it all ended? Presumably some kind of resolution was reached, even if just involved some older people conveniently dying.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Is suing someone else not acting with integrity?

If you read thru the thread, you'll see that I and others have already explored this precise question (which was, after all, the OP) quite thoroughly in a much more nuanced way. My point was that in this particular situation, En Rouge had acted according to her convictions and is now experiencing some inner (if not financial) benefit. Again, we can't always control what others will do, or even what the courts will do. But there are some very good reasons for us to act with integrity, even when we don't expect the other person to respond in kind.

[ 29. May 2015, 15:53: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
la vie en rouge - well done all round. And this had BUGGER ALL to do with turning the other cheek. You've behaved impeccably, more than reasonably, more than fairly. Forgive everyone, especially yourself and move on.

Belle Ringer - as Lamb Chopped said, you're dealing with a company, not a person. Take them - it - to the cleaners!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I'm the one said that, somehow. But congratulations, la vie en rouge! As for the thread of suing bringing results--well, it worked for us too, to an extent, and yes, it did feel... weird. Still, the one fortunate thing about it is that such people always judge your potential actions by their own measure, and so you really don't need to do much threatening at all--merely mention the possibility and their own bad character does the rest. (Because if they were in your shoes, they know damn well they'd take you for all you were worth--and they simply can't believe in a person who would behave more generously or have the slightest scruples whatsoever.)

I suppose your church leadership is by now well acquainted with the situation? Because the last thing you want is for her to get into some kind of position of trust or leadership in the congregation and repeat her behavior there.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The courts exist, in part, to help unreasonable people see reason.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Why should those be things we consider only when the other party is a Christian? Why not consider accepting injustice in the same way from non-Christians?

As Cliffdweller and vie have already said, there's a 'family' aspect to relationships with other believers.

I don't think that other Christians are the only ones who deserve special consideration - you can have a connection with people for all sorts of reasons, friendship, work, acquaintances in common, (natural) family relationships. Shared faith is one of many reasons for being more gracious than justice requires.

In the case of people who we engage with genuinely 'at arm's length', there is, of course, nothing wrong with treating them with special consideration as well. There's nothing wrong with acting as benevolently to a stranger as you would to a brother or sister, it's just that the minimum standard of duty is lower for strangers.

If you fall out with a brother or sister, and do not feel the damage to the relationship as a real and painful injury that you ought to be taking serious steps to remedy (even if it was all their fault, and you were blameless) then that's a problem. You aren't (IMO) expected to have the same immediacy of concern for causes of friction with casual acquaintances - those relationships simply do not matter as much, and nor should they. If you can be as gracious with everyone as you feel you should be with close family members, that's great, but probably most of us can't.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Belle Ringer - as Lamb Chopped said, you're dealing with a company, not a person. Take them - it - to the cleaners!

Yes but - a company owned by one person and a couple workers, to the company owner it feels like he is personally being sued. Any award comes out of his personal profits.

But he has not acknowledged my protest letter, so the next step is a letter quickly summarizing the protest, saying if I don't hear by [specific date] the next letter is to Better Business Bureau and then me to small claims court. Certified mail. One possibility is the boss never got the letter if the workers open mail for him.

I hate fighting. Why can't we reason things out? Guess I have to toughen up.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
...such people always judge your potential actions by their own measure

I read a book on how to deal with difficult people. One of the people described, boy did I know that man! The book said when he yells at you and makes unreasonable demands, yell back, he will love you because you are playing his game.

So the next time, I yelled back. He loved me. Every day he yelled at me, I yelled back, and he told everyone I was the best of my profession.

Some people really don't mean to be unfair, they just see a different game.

But then there are the ones who live opportunistically, and the ones who "can't be happy unless I win, and I don't know I've won unless you are bleeding." (Explanation by an acquaintance why he disdained win-win solutions.)

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be very careful discussing any lawsuit on the internet. Our son is currently involved in a major lawsuit. His lawyer advised him not to say anything anywere about it because the other side is tracking what he has said (really nothing) and will say (he is completely off the internet at this time).

The lawyer even asked me to avoid the internet, but all I have agreed to is not discuss his case.

Just a word of warning.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed LC, it was Albertus, my apologies to you both.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Gramps has posted reminded me of the story of the pianist who was prevented from publishing his biography by his ex-wife because of matters not anything to do with her. It's OK to post now, I assume, because everything is now public. In the period between her losing the first case and her appeal against the judgement he was under injunctions of the sort that cannot themselves be mentioned.

During that time he posted a tweet in response to the Charlie Hebdo shooting, citing the need for free speech, and within 20 minutes her lawyers had told him to take the tweet down, or he would be taken to court for contempt.

So caution is obviously required.

Scarily.

[ 31. May 2015, 14:39: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016