homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Horrific set of circumstances: Josh Duggar (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Horrific set of circumstances: Josh Duggar
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It is not true, for example, that children would only ever come into contact with each other's genital areas in an inherently abusive context.

Kids do in fact do things like "play doctor" and explore each other's bodies. This appears to be considered normal . . .

Once again we see the lengths people will go to in order to excuse the actions of abusers. While "playing doctor" is fairly normal, that sort of thing typically involves children of roughly the same age who are both willing participants. This does not seem to be the [alleged] case with Josh Duggar. According to the police report Josh Dugger [allegedly] assaulted all his victims while they were asleep, and the basic math of the Duggar family indicates that if we accept the police report's timeline and assertion that Josh Duggar [allegedly] molested four of his sisters, his youngest [alleged] victim would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time. A fourteen or fifteen year old boy [allegedly] groping an unconscious five year old's chest and vagina (again going by the police report) is not what most people mean by "playing doctor".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not sure you even understand what "mitigation" means.

mit·i·gate
ˈmidəˌɡāt/
verb
lessen the gravity of (an offense or mistake)
quote:

Sometimes it feels as if you're treating me as having said that a 14-year-old is automatically innocent and should face no consequence at all. At no stage have I actually said that!

Kinda felt this way to me. If you say you are not, I will accept that. I have not spoken of consequence, just of culpability.
Crœsos gives a solid explanation why a teen sexually touching a small child is not normal behaviour.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Crœsos gives a solid explanation why a teen sexually touching a small child is not normal behaviour.

I'm not suggesting it's normal. I'm just pointing out that the difference between "touching" and "sexually touching" is not so simple and black-and-white that we can declare that any child who touches another child between the waist and the thigh must be placed on the sex offenders list.

I thought that this resource was rather good at setting out the difference between normal and abnormal behaviour.

As for the definition of "mitigate": exactly. It says "lessen". Not "remove".

[ 02. June 2015, 04:27: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha, in my experience, teenagers (and children) who sexually abuse are often very confused and suffering from stress, shame, worry about the rest of their lives and access to college. An 11 year old who has been abused may not realise that boundaries are being crossed, may not be able to express what happened in their past that has changed their perceptions.

I've only found one of the students I've worked with with high risk assessments for sexually abusive behaviour emotionally challenging. He was so unashamed of what sounded like very predatory behaviour, from his own account: a 15 year old with a history of sexual relationships with 11 / 12 year old girls. He was awaiting trial for the offences, with bail conditions, which were incredibly difficult to enforce and educate him.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[American Christians are] NOT freaking powerful or influential. Despite what the media suggests about us dastardly conspiratorial Christians of whatever dull mainstream stripe. We just aren't. [...]

Remember that TV is all about the sell. Interesting/freaky/oddball/horrifying SELLS. Ordinary dull boring Christian does NOT sell. Which means no advertisers, no sponsors, no nothing.

I have no doubt we could get a "reality" show about so-called Christian swingers into production in a heartbeat. It would appeal to the same people who like "UFO stole my two-headed baby" stories.

Something balanced? Ha.

Yet a large proportion of Americans claim to be Christians, and the proportion of churchgoers in the USA is apparently higher than it is anywhere else in the West - and there's probably much more Christian diversity there too. Hollywood makes biblical films in the hope that all the Christians will flock to see them. Potential presidents are expected to display their Christian credentials. All this suggests that there should be interest in programming that reflects faith in its variety.

As outsiders to the USA, we're given rather schizophrenic cultural visions of a strident right wing evangelicalism on the one hand, and hedonistic abandon on the other. It doesn't make a lot of sense that the many American Christians who exist in between these two extremes are hardly ever given a public face. British TV, for all its faults, doesn't assume that extremism represents the only face of Christianity.

[ 02. June 2015, 12:04: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
lilBuddha, in my experience, teenagers (and children) who sexually abuse are often very confused and suffering from stress, shame, worry about the rest of their lives and access to college.

Being a teenager is being confused, suffering from stress, shame and worry about the rest of their lives.
It is not an automatic pass.
As I'm sure you are aware, most people who have been abused do not go on to abuse. Having been abused can be a contributing factor, but it is not an excuse.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, but it does also mean that often when we are talking about a perpetrator - especially a minor - we are often also talking about a victim in one and the same person.

Over sexualised behaviour exhibited by a child is one of the things one looks for as a sign that that child may have been - or may be being at that time - sexually abused.

Consequently, in many cases, in child on child abuse - both children may need protection and treatment. And the authorities may well need to be trying to find an adult abuser in the immediate social circles around those children.

Likewise, child soldiers who are involved in war crimes are both victim and perpetrator - but dependent on their age, post-conflict intervention may centre on treating the effects of their victim-hood rather than treating them as adult murderers.

It not that that such things should not be reported, and safeguarding shouldn't happen, it is that the public interest is not always served by a solely punitive response after that reporting has happened. (Not least because it may lead families not to report, and therefore a lack of effective safeguarding and the creation of further victims.)

[ 02. June 2015, 15:41: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I don't disagree with any of that, Dt.
BTW, I haven't mention punishment beyond stating that is is a difficult thing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
It not that that such things should not be reported, . . .

And yet one of the most predictable reactions to child molestation scandals that we've seen in recent years is that there always seems to be a series of apologists arguing why in this particular case the [beloved religious leader / famous entertainer / powerful politician / noted moral scold / whatever] in question shouldn't be (or "have been" for those cases discovered long after the fact) subjected to the normal procedures set up to handle such cases. And despite the fact that there are numerous well-known examples where the culture of silence and non-reporting made the situation much worse in the long run, the argument is still made. We've got numerous examples on this thread alone of exactly this argument. Are the various social service and law enforcement entities tasked with handling these sorts of things perfect or above criticism? Absolutely not. Are they better than trying to maintain a veil of secrecy that's more intent on hiding abuse than dealing with it? Almost always the answer is 'yes'.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A minor detour into probability theory. Please remember that P(A|B) ~= P(B|A)

The probability that a white cat is deaf is not the same as the probability that a deaf cat is white.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose my point is that alot of this thread appears to focus on whether an alleged offender evaded punishment - my primary concern is that alleged victims were not safeguarded (and that may include the alleged offender himself).

Without knowing a great deal more than we do about the circumstances of the alleged offences, it is not possible to know if criminal prosecution would have been proportionate or appropriate.

Much as I dislike the version of Christianity the Duggars stand for - the fact that someone may have comitted a crime at some point in the past, whatever it may be, it does not mean they can have no moral view in the future. Nor does it mean they are incapable of rehabilitation.

One could argue that consciousness of one's own guilt should mean you never become a public moral crusader, but it is not rational to argue that a person can do so but only for specific moral positions.

[ 02. June 2015, 16:51: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
We've got numerous

That one specifically says the comment is nothing to do with the celebrity status.
quote:
examples
And this one doesn't make the "celebrity trumps investigation" argument either. It says we simply don't know enough.
quote:
on
Nothing about immunity for celebrities but, "keeping this general" a reflection, not a judgement, as to the wider potential consequences
quote:
this
No celebrity plea. An indication of what can go wrong later.
quote:
thread
Ditto.

In short, none of those links seeks, as you imply, to argue
quote:
why in this particular case the [beloved religious leader / famous entertainer / powerful politician / noted moral scold / whatever] in question shouldn't be (or "have been" for those cases discovered long after the fact) subjected to the normal procedures set up to handle such cases.
quote:
Are the various social service and law enforcement entities tasked with handling these sorts of things perfect or above criticism? Absolutely not. Are they better than trying to maintain a veil of secrecy that's more intent on hiding abuse than dealing with it? Almost always the answer is 'yes'.
Perhaps. But sometimes those trying to maintain the veil of secrecy are the various social service and law enforcement entities, imbued with the notion that they must know the right answer, exactly as misguidedly as some parents/churches/etc can be.

Unfortunately, neither side has the monopoly on incompetence here, and neither side has the monopoly on the least bad outcome, either.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Yet a large proportion of Americans claim to be Christians, and the proportion of churchgoers in the USA is apparently higher than it is anywhere else in the West - and there's probably much more Christian diversity there too. Hollywood makes biblical films in the hope that all the Christians will flock to see them. Potential presidents are expected to display their Christian credentials. All this suggests that there should be interest in programming that reflects faith in its variety.

As outsiders to the USA, we're given rather schizophrenic cultural visions of a strident right wing evangelicalism on the one hand, and hedonistic abandon on the other. It doesn't make a lot of sense that the many American Christians who exist in between these two extremes are hardly ever given a public face. British TV, for all its faults, doesn't assume that extremism represents the only face of Christianity.

I wish you'd come here, stay for a while, and see for yourself. Look, ordinary Christians are not the only faceless group when it comes to TV. You are also not going to see depictions of the average family, for instance--the one with bills, ordinary worries, ordinary joys. What you will get are shows about extreme situations--polygamy, teen mothers, people living with dwarfism or cancer, people from extreme subcultures like the Duck dynasty stuff. Not average Joe and Jeanne, married or not, with a kid or two, with a car that breaks down, with worries about a job and a house and relatives--but nothing out of the ordinary. It would never sell.
Similarly you're not going to get coverage that focuses on moderate Republicans, or moderate Democrats, or moderate anything. Nobody's going to be shown on TV saying, "Ay, Obama, well, I disagree with him on some things, but by and large, he's not so bad." No school is ever going to get profiled for having quite decent grades and behavior standards, really. What you'll get instead are either apocalyptic doom-n-gloom (guns brought to school! Undercover police! Yes, it's ALL like that!) or else the way out there (Let's use quills for writing! Everyone takes Latin in first grade! Our students beat the whole US on test scores, because we have a Latino female fire-breathing dragon for a principal!)

And since the TV/media in the US is almost completely market-driven, why should we expect to see anything else? We just don't HAVE any major paternalistic or maternalistic agencies out there to say "You really ought to have THIS kind of programming, instead, it's more socially beneficial (to say nothing of more true)." Where's the money to come from? PBS (public nonprofit TV) has to do major fundraisers all the time, and grant money is hard to come by, and it's a minority who watches it at all anyway. The rest of TV production depends on advertisers. Who want eyes on screens, and to hell with social benefits and equal representation.

This is why parents spend so much angst on the issue of trying to drag kids away from the boob tube, and why we focus so much on teaching them in our schools to filter out bullshit from TV/internet. I've had to do a LOT of that in my alternate lives as an English teacher/professor. It's fast becoming a primary function.

I have no idea where British TV gets its funding from. But I rather suspect you have sources and resources not available to US TV. Not to mention a number of general social attitudes that plain don't exist here.

Anyway.

Let me address the first bit of what you wrote. Lots of Christians? Well, maybe. Enough to make a market for the very occasional biblical film (though NOT, you notice, without the usual Hollywood "spiffing up" aka distortion in the interests of sensationalism). Which a lot of watchers, including Christians, won't catch, as so many are biblically illiterate.

Presidents having to show Christian credentials? Meh. What you have to do is show alleged MORAL credentials. Which is why a Mormon made it as far as he did in the last race, and why Jimmy Carter got bagged on all the time for actually believing all that stuff and letting it affect his actions. (Mustn't go that far, of course!) Basically what you must have is church membership in a mainstream denomination, the duller the better (we're not looking for much more than that as an electorate, and we'll get squeamish about active activity such as teaching or preaching, or even membership in some of the denominations with a more "active" reputation.) and an ability to make broad sweeping statements that can't offend anybody (for example, Muslims/Jews/extreme patriots/other Christian groups, which means avoiding a lot of potholes, most notably all but the most glancing of references to Jesus). So no praying in Jesus' name or mentions of Christian doctrine where anybody can hear you, which includes your private life (which won't be private, of course). But you can quote him as a great human teacher all you want, and it will add to your moral cred (don't ever come out and say that, but do act from that perspective and you'll be all right).

TL;DR version: If you're getting your understanding of America from our media, God help you.
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by LB:
quote:

No, it isn't. What it is is complicated.
Time affects so much, both in quality of real memories and what may be false memory. Memory is a less solid thing than we tend to think and time complicates this.
Time degrades evidence of all sorts.
Limiting prosecution time is a reasonable concept that is often poorly applied.

For those who have suffered abuse or rape, I would suspect that the event is forever burned in their brain; much as they might love to try and forget it. It takes enormous courage to pursue a case and parents are unlikely to want to put a rush on it and drag their already traumatised child through the court and legal system. The passing of time would seem to me to be a crucial factor in enabling abuse survivors to reach a point when they are able to face it enough to go to court.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Eutychus - Celebrity is only marginally relevant to my point. There are always those who argue against reporting abuse, regardless of the fame of the [alleged] perpetrator. Any detail will be grasped at to justify this conclusion. It's only more obvious with celebrity cases because those are the [alleged] perpetrators we hear about unless we're personally acquainted with one of the [alleged] parties in a much less well known case. One of the factors that might contribute to this tendency is that the [alleged] perpetrators are at least marginally known to us, if not by celebrity then simply by the reporting of the case at hand, while the [alleged] victims are very often unknown and faceless.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Posted by LB:
quote:

No, it isn't. What it is is complicated.
Time affects so much, both in quality of real memories and what may be false memory. Memory is a less solid thing than we tend to think and time complicates this.
Time degrades evidence of all sorts.
Limiting prosecution time is a reasonable concept that is often poorly applied.

For those who have suffered abuse or rape, I would suspect that the event is forever burned in their brain; much as they might love to try and forget it.
Yes. The event(s) for the victim. Corroborating evidence, behaviour and witnesses, not as much. There is also perception of others. "Why did you wait so long"?
But, the false memory I was speaking of was not for real victims, but referencing "repressed" memory. No saying that one cannot repress a real memory, but that the abuse of the concept is especially susceptible to time.
quote:

It takes enormous courage to pursue a case and parents are unlikely to want to put a rush on it and drag their already traumatised child through the court and legal system. The passing of time would seem to me to be a crucial factor in enabling abuse survivors to reach a point when they are able to face it enough to go to court.

Yes, it takes courage. Yes it is difficult. But time is still a negative factor.
I can tell you from direct experience that a traumatic event can leave permanent scars. But just as with physical scars, the edges can get soft. I have mental images and experience physical sensations based on the events. And they are sharp, and they are vivid. But on either side and in between, things are not as defined. In an official complaint, there is more to dealing with trauma than the actual event. Time elapsed is rarely a friend in a courtroom.

[ 02. June 2015, 18:04: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For those who have suffered abuse or rape, I would suspect that the event is forever burned in their brain; much as they might love to try and forget it.

I am a survivor of rape (as a young woman) and of physical and emotional abuse (in childhood). I have also spent part of my professional life assisting other rape survivors through recovery from the initial trauma and through, in some cases, the further trauma of the criminal justice proceedings when they reported.

The amount of stigma and consequent secrecy which surrounds rape, especially, has led, IMO, to a great deal of utter nonsense about its aftermath. Of course, every case is different, because the victims, circumstances, and perps are different too.

There are undoubtedly some rape survivors who remain permanently damaged by the trauma. So much depends not only on what she was put through, the nature of the perp and his triggers, the victim's own beliefs and attitudes about rape before it happened and what it means for and about her going forward, her own coping resources, and above all, what support she has from those near & dear to her, her ability to access that support and their ability to provide it, and on and on, we simply cannot generalize about the long-term effects of rape on those who have survived it.

I have known some survivors to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives six months. I have known two who killed themselves within a year of the event. I have known plenty who fall between these extremes.

IMO, it's less than helpful for all of us who deal with sexual violence and its survivors to carry in our heads the notion that "the rape is burned in their brains" or "they're forever scarred."

Let survivors be who -- and how -- they actually, really are as they work, in their own good time at their own pace, through recovery. They have their own sh*t to deal with and do not need the added burden of coping with others' headfuls of rubbish about them.

I am some three decades past an assault which lasted several hours, resulted in both stab wounds and emotional damage, and a trial which resulted initially in a hung jury.

I hardly ever think about either the rape itself or the trial. For me, it only comes up when the topic of sex assault comes up. After the rape, I married (and divorced); I returned to school to pursue a grad degree; embarked on a career which I've both pursued and changed successfully, and (aside from being now single and also childless in middle-age-getting-on-for-seniordom) am pretty much indistinguishable from other women of my age and class. No one can tell, from observing me as I traverse a dark parking lot or city block all alone to my car, that I am a quivering mass of terrified nerves teetering on the brink of panic, hypervigilant and awaiting attack, because, guess what? I'm not.

Many of us not only survive, we also recover. Some of us don't. We are not all necessarily fragile emotional teacups, sans saucers, perched on a loose shelf, needing only a breeze from an open window to topple us into helpless pieces.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[alleged] perpetrators are at least marginally known to us, if not by celebrity then simply by the reporting of the case at hand, while the [alleged] victims are very often unknown and faceless.

Let's talk about [alleged] a bit.

I know plenty of people who I'm quite satisfied are abuse victims and not making it up.

I also know a poor sod who is a) an actual victim of child abuse b) whose testimony, with that of others, [in my and many many others' view] aided, abetted, and coerced by deluded investigators and badly trained social workers, helped put a large number of other wholly innocent people [as ruled on appeal] in jail. I'm obviously not going to go into details here, but the evidence putting them in the clear is overwhelming (e.g. being on the wrong continent at the time of the [alleged] offence). One of them died in prison before they were all acquitted on appeal.

And I know another poor sod who is a) an actual, confessed perpetrator of child abuse b) whose testimony also helped achieve all of the above.

I'm all for victims having a voice. What I'm not for is their voice being exploited by other people with conscious or unconscious agendas, sometimes to the extent of getting them to make stuff up. I'm also in favour of perpetrators being held to account and dealt with accordingly.

While I think criminal proceedings can and sometimes should play a role, I think sentences and sentencing measures are very often shots in the dark and that all too often, neither victims, nor perpetrators, nor society at large are well-served as a result. I am definitely not in favour of there being no statute of limitations on such cases.

Also in my direct experience, well-publicised cases may create scope for discussion, but they are terrible starting-points for setting precedents in practice. They are usually extreme cases, which are commonly held to make bad laws.

[ 02. June 2015, 19:29: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dipping in to thank both Lamb Chopped and Porridge for their very different-- but both very helpful in brining insight/awareness-- posts.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Presidents having to show Christian credentials? Meh. What you have to do is show alleged MORAL credentials. Which is why a Mormon made it as far as he did in the last race, and why Jimmy Carter got bagged on all the time for actually believing all that stuff and letting it affect his actions. (Mustn't go that far, of course!) Basically what you must have is church membership in a mainstream denomination, the duller the better (we're not looking for much more than that as an electorate, and we'll get squeamish about active activity such as teaching or preaching, or even membership in some of the denominations with a more "active" reputation.)

Which doesn't explain why so many Republican presidential hopefuls were so eager to be pictured with Josh Duggar (at least until recently). I'm not sure I'd call the Duggars' quiverfull version of evangelicalism "a mainstream denomination, the duller the better", but it must be since that's the image a whole lot of candidates, both declared and potential, were seeking to be associated with. It's also not the kind of description I'd apply to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, Ted Cruz's chosen backdrop to announce his candidacy. The ironically misnamed Liberty University doesn't seem like the kind of place that's "squeamish about active activity such as teaching or preaching", and yet at least one party's candidates seem to be rushing to be associated with it. I mean, if we take your assertion at face value we'd expect presidential hopefuls to avoid places like Liberty U. like the plague, but the opposite seems to be the case.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reread it and you'll note I was discussing which denomination to belong to, if you are a presidential hopeful--not which photo ops to take (all of them, basically. It takes some doing to have candidates turn you down).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It is not true, for example, that children would only ever come into contact with each other's genital areas in an inherently abusive context.

Kids do in fact do things like "play doctor" and explore each other's bodies. This appears to be considered normal . . .

Once again we see the lengths people will go to in order to excuse the actions of abusers. While "playing doctor" is fairly normal, that sort of thing typically involves children of roughly the same age who are both willing participants. This does not seem to be the [alleged] case with Josh Duggar. According to the police report Josh Dugger [allegedly] assaulted all his victims while they were asleep, and the basic math of the Duggar family indicates that if we accept the police report's timeline and assertion that Josh Duggar [allegedly] molested four of his sisters, his youngest [alleged] victim would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time. A fourteen or fifteen year old boy [allegedly] groping an unconscious five year old's chest and vagina (again going by the police report) is not what most people mean by "playing doctor".
I thought it was sufficiently clear I wasn't talking about a specific case, but in the abstract.

Apparently it wasn't sufficiently clear, so let me say it to you explicitly: if you read any of my references to "children" as "members of the Duggar family", you're reading it wrong.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

I also want to say that, thinking about this thread overnight, I came to views that I think are similar to Doublethink's.

Why is there such a heavy focus on Josh Duggar?

Let me just accept here that he did something wrong at age 14. He's admitted that much himself in his own words, whatever the precise details are.

Is there any evidence that he continued to do something wrong afterwards?

Is there any evidence that he has proclivities to do something wrong NOW?

As far as I'm aware the answer is 'No' on both counts.

Which is actually the most important thing in relation to what he did. The primary purpose of dealing with a person who, at age 14, does something improper or criminal isn't to see to it that they're permanently labelled as a sexual predator or thief or whatever, it's to see to it that they don't grow up still doing it or escalate the wrong behaviour.

That's what seems to be missing from the conversation here. I get that there's a reason why certain procedures are in place, and they are (or should be!) based on best practice, but amongst all the criticism of what his parents did do or didn't do is missing a recognition that, in terms of Josh's behaviour, the right outcome appears to have been achieved.

This is striking, because normally when a whole lot of finger-pointing and blaming is going on it's because there's been a bad outcome. Here, it's... I don't know, I think it's because this family is dispensing moral advice and we only accept moral advice from people whose flaws we're unaware of? I haven't got a damn clue why these people are "famous" in the first place so I have no opinion of them as a TV family.

I think it's far more relevant to be asking whether the right outcome has been achieved for the Duggar's other children. I've no idea. Because everyone's so focused on saying "look at what the parents did/didn't do with Josh" without actually linking it to how he turned out, we've no real idea whether his siblings have turned out okay or not.

[ 03. June 2015, 03:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many assumptions in the reactions here:
  • that the children involved in child on child sexual abuse know what they are doing is wrong (if it's happened to them they don't necessarily know - that's why abusers are often abused);
  • that because the prurient world hasn't been told something is happening, nothing is actually happening - there are a lot of very good reasons, said prurience being one of them, for not telling the world about the treatment of the victims and the sex offenders;
  • that once a young person has done something that is seen as being sexually offensive they are unable to change, ever.
Confidentiality rules apply in all sorts of directions - if someone is on bail awaiting trial they may well be found innocent so anyone working with that person cannot broadcast unfounded accusations at that stage. That doesn't mean that things aren't put in place. All activities have to be risk assessed to ensure that others are not put at risk. The bail conditions may limit access to other children - which can mean insisting a teenager has no access to mobile phones.

There are risks to the young person of being placed on the sex offenders register, without actually being lynched by the public and the media if that becomes public. It can affect their future employment and these days it can also affect anyone living with them.

The possibilities of treatment: I am no expert, but I really don't feel comfortable that a single event or a few events when a child is 14, 13, 12 or 11 means that they are labelled for life without a chance of treatment and rehabilitation. Particularly if that young person has been previously sexually abused themselves to skew their understandings.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

CK: I agree with much of what you say here (as, I think, do many other posters, so not sure who you think are making these assumptions) but I had to respond to this:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
(if it's happened to them they don't necessarily know - that's why abusers are often abused)

Firstly, it may be true that abusers are often abused, but in my experience it is not true that all abuse victims go on to abuse or that all abusers were themselves abused. I suspect good statistics are hard to come by. Especially if the assumed victims-turned-perps don't even know they've been abused.

Secondly, while it may be true that victims can be abused unawares, the way you've put that makes another assumption - that in certain situations, abuse has happened even when it's not recalled.

I've followed at close quarters a case in which investigators were so convinced wide-scale abuse had happened, by their actions and their questions they contributed to alleged child victims and alleged perpetrators actually making stuff up to tie in with their fantasy.

I seem to remember something like this happening in a case in the UK about 20 years ago, too.

Of course it is terrible to have been an actual victim and not be believed or given a voice.

But I find it equally terrifying that investigators can so easily become enthralled by the "delicious terror" of abuse that they allow their own fantasies to override professional ethics and practice.

I have seen the results of both.

[ 03. June 2015, 07:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yes, sorry I was being unclear, and I totally agree that most abusers do not go on to be abused - in fact, from experience, I could probably put anecdotal numbers on that one.

But ... from where I'm sitting, having worked over the last 7 or 8 years with children that cannot be placed in schools for various reasons*, there is a big question mark over very young abusers as to their previous experiences. There the suggestive evidence is the abusive behaviour - as hinted at by Doublethink earlier in the thread. And in those cases those youngsters may not realise that their behaviour is inappropriate as it is normal to them.

* A significant proportion are on the sex offenders register.

[ 03. June 2015, 07:16: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

OK. And in my experience re: kids like that, I would be just as likely to suspect any foster family as the kids' home family.

Followed not too far behind by a working theory that such kids get canny quickly to survive, and pick up ways of grabbing attention, more easily than adults might suspect, simply by hanging around social workers' offices and clients a lot and eavesdropping on what's said.

[ 03. June 2015, 07:24: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yes, definitely - care placements raise their own issues. However, sometimes patterns arise that make allegations sound more realistic. (If the same accusations keep coming up about the same places, for example.) The other problem is that allegations can be a testing of the water to see the reaction before making the real accusation.

However transient stepfathers followed by aberrant behaviours can raise big question marks too.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Why is there such a heavy focus on Josh Duggar?

Let me just accept here that he did something wrong at age 14. He's admitted that much himself in his own words, whatever the precise details are.

Sort of. As I've already noted Josh Duggar's confession and apology [FB] is almost entirely an exercise in PR and damage control. The clincher for me was that his most direct analysis of the consequences of his actions was "I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life". Yep, it's all about him.

quote:
Is there any evidence that he continued to do something wrong afterwards?

Is there any evidence that he has proclivities to do something wrong NOW?

As far as I'm aware the answer is 'No' on both counts.

Since we're not aware very far at all about this, the answer would seem to more along the lines of 'we don't know'.

At the moment the evidence that Josh has [allegedly] stopped abusing consists pretty much of his assertion that he has (see the previously linked confession/apology/press release) and his parents' assertion of the same (ibid). The big problem with this is that according to the police report Josh was [allegedly] caught abusing three times before he [allegedly] stopped (see p. 14-15). While we can't be absolutely certain, it seems incredibly likely that Josh also said he was sorry and would stop the first two times he was caught. Why is the present statement of contrition and reform much more reliable than the first two?

This seems so incredibly familiar. How many child molestation scandals have we had recently that were exacerbated when the perpetrators' highly self-motivated statements of contrition and promises to never re-offend were taken as completely reliable? While I agree that youthful [alleged] molesters are less likely to re-offend than adult ones, I'm dubious that constitutes a reason to take their promises on the subject as completely reliable.

quote:
That's what seems to be missing from the conversation here. I get that there's a reason why certain procedures are in place, and they are (or should be!) based on best practice, but amongst all the criticism of what his parents did do or didn't do is missing a recognition that, in terms of Josh's behaviour, the right outcome appears to have been achieved.

Moved your bold to the appropriate word for you. You're welcome. [DELETED] I'm not sure judging by appearances is a good idea in this case. It's possible that the apparent outcome is the actual one, but just assuming appearance = reality is part the reason of why these situations can get so out of hand.

[If the allegation you are making in the deleted section has been reported then link to it. Otherwise, see warnings above - Eliab]

[ 03. June 2015, 15:10: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Reread it and you'll note I was discussing which denomination to belong to, if you are a presidential hopeful--not which photo ops to take (all of them, basically. It takes some doing to have candidates turn you down).

Political analysis of tangential topic here, in a more appropriate thread.

--------------------

Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suggestion here that the Duggars may continue on TV. And why not.
orfeo

# 13878

Croesos, all I have to say in response is that I think "innocent until proven guilty" means something. If the answer is "we don't know", then it's not appropriate in my view to say "we know he was doing something 13 years ago as a child, so let's err on the side of presuming he's still doing something".

It is actually this attitude towards sexual offences that makes genuine rehabilitation so damn difficult. Society seems to have concluded, based on some cases of lifelong offending, that this is just true for everybody. We make life hell for former offenders on that basis, in a way we don't seem to do for any other kind of criminal offence.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Duggar's believe that women should dress "modestly" because of the effect "immodest" dress has on men.

Here Michelle Duggar (the mother) explains that:
quote:
And in general we don't do a lot of swimming events where swimming suits are worn because it's just too hard for the guys to try to keep their eyes averted in those situations.
and here Jim Bob Duggar (the father) explains that:

quote:
when a guy sees a girl dance, it really can be defrauding to a guy, especially if they're dressed immodestly. The definition of defrauding would be building up sensual desires that you cannot rightfully fulfill.

Whilst the message about "modesty" is aimed at the girls, I wonder what the impact is on a male teen, being told that men can be helpless in the face of an "immodestly" dressed woman? Especially given that "immodest" includes normal swimwear in normal swimming situations.

( Not specifically talking about Josh Duggar here, but the whole set up, in which the responsibility for male sexual desire is placed on the females.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Double posting because I've just found another:

Here Michelle states that "even though they have leggings on underneath" (their dresses) her small daughters were discouraged from headstands etc at quite a young age. No mention of restricting the boys rough and tumble, "modesty" only impacts on the girls at this age.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a general point related to this, does anyone more familiar with 'Purity Culture' know what attitude prevails with regard to sexual assault victims? Are they held to be partially responsible for what happens? Or considered to be unpure? Genuine question, but not specific to the OP

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Porridge:
quote:

I am a survivor of rape (as a young woman) and of physical and emotional abuse (in childhood). I have also spent part of my professional life assisting other rape survivors through recovery from the initial trauma and through, in some cases, the further trauma of the criminal justice proceedings when they reported.

The amount of stigma and consequent secrecy which surrounds rape, especially, has led, IMO, to a great deal of utter nonsense about its aftermath. Of course, every case is different, because the victims, circumstances, and perps are different too.

There are undoubtedly some rape survivors who remain permanently damaged by the trauma. So much depends not only on what she was put through, the nature of the perp and his triggers, the victim's own beliefs and attitudes about rape before it happened and what it means for and about her going forward, her own coping resources, and above all, what support she has from those near & dear to her, her ability to access that support and their ability to provide it, and on and on, we simply cannot generalize about the long-term effects of rape on those who have survived it.

I have known some survivors to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives six months. I have known two who killed themselves within a year of the event. I have known plenty who fall between these extremes.

IMO, it's less than helpful for all of us who deal with sexual violence and its survivors to carry in our heads the notion that "the rape is burned in their brains" or "they're forever scarred."

Let survivors be who -- and how -- they actually, really are as they work, in their own good time at their own pace, through recovery. They have their own sh*t to deal with and do not need the added burden of coping with others' headfuls of rubbish about them.

I am some three decades past an assault which lasted several hours, resulted in both stab wounds and emotional damage, and a trial which resulted initially in a hung jury.

I hardly ever think about either the rape itself or the trial. For me, it only comes up when the topic of sex assault comes up. After the rape, I married (and divorced); I returned to school to pursue a grad degree; embarked on a career which I've both pursued and changed successfully, and (aside from being now single and also childless in middle-age-getting-on-for-seniordom) am pretty much indistinguishable from other women of my age and class. No one can tell, from observing me as I traverse a dark parking lot or city block all alone to my car, that I am a quivering mass of terrified nerves teetering on the brink of panic, hypervigilant and awaiting attack, because, guess what? I'm not.

Many of us not only survive, we also recover. Some of us don't. We are not all necessarily fragile emotional teacups, sans saucers, perched on a loose shelf, needing only a breeze from an open window to topple us into helpless pieces.

I appreciate your honesty in sharing your own story, but you assume a lot; nine paragraphs to be exact, none of which I actually stated yet you have imputed I believed and held to. I have to be honest, I found it quite offensive.

All of my post was in reference to the statute of limitations where an actual crime has been committed (not an inferred one, nor a repressed memory brought out under hypnosis with gross suggestion). I went on to state that trauma tends to get indelibly burned upon our brains. This is pretty much common to all human beings, whether that trauma be through abuse or the death of a loved one, or whatever. We also have the capacity to remember in particularly vivid terms, strange and curious details and we may not be sure why we have that detail written large in the memory. In rare circumstances the trauma is so great that the mind removes (or cuts off access) all memory of the event and in some cases this takes the passage of time before details of it begin to trickle back; in rare cases it never does. I agree that everyone reacts differently to trauma. Some people have incredible coping mechanisms and deal with trauma extremely efficiently - others don't. Hence, the statute of limitations is deeply flawed as a 'one rule fits all' scenario that in fact ends up denying a significant proportion of the victims of crime a right to justice. The fact that you have dealt efficiently and well with trauma does not mean that everyone in the same circumstances will react in exactly the same way you did and regardless of the reaction afterwards, the memory is still there and a part of the make up of the person, in exactly the same way that the death of a loved one becomes a part of that person and their experiences and a memory that is burned in their brain. My suggestion that a memory is planted permanently in the brain does not mean they live the rest of their life as a gibbering wreck - that was your implied suggestion, not mine.

There is also a perception among the general public that in the courts a conviction is possible based on the statement of the victim/survivor alone. While I can't speak for the American justice system, this is certainly not the case where I live. The statement of the victim/survivor is taken into account with corroborating evidence. Where that corroborating evidence is absent, no conviction can be made. The corroborating evidence in some cases may require evidence and further statements by other parties, who for various reasons may not (or should not) give that evidence or statement until a later stage; thus the passage of time is a necessity. On that basis and considering what I have already stated, I find the statute of limitations to be a farce.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are quite a few misconceptions there, Fletcher

One is that "trauma is burned indelibly in our brains" - there are clearly defined approaches and techniques for de-traumatising high end trauma even years after it happened, to the point that Dutch researchers have seen using brain scans a 70% recovery of hypothalamic volume following "successful" therapy - i.e. the event is a memory, but no longer an emotionally traumatic or dissociative one. And the functional areas of the brain that were no longer used during decades of traumatised states - are able to be re-connected and used normally. The difficulty is that therapists skilled enough to apply these approaches successfully with most people and in a reasonable timeframe (which may still extend to several years in some circumstances) are in far smaller supply than the number of people already in need of attention.

There are also clearly defined situations and mental states and attitudes that can largely be constructed or cultivated that make people more trauma-proof (i.e. resilient) or diffuse the trauma more effectively. A lot of this was learned (or at least collected) in research programmes following 9/11 and by trauma and resilience research by the US military. One offshoot of it is personality profiling for identifying particularly resilient personality traits for recruiting into special forces. So - only a relatively small proportion of the people caught up in 9/11 are still suffering trauma. Most have it as an unpleasant but otherwise recallable memory that no longer "traumatises" them.

And I can state quite categorically that the decision to think of oneself as traumatised or as some kind of victim is one of the major factors that retains trauma and does "burn it on our brains". OK - it's not quite that simple. Sometimes this is not a conscious decision or even one that can be said to be "made" by the person, or one that they have conscious wilful control over - but nevertheless it is the thinking about trauma that tends to retain trauma, and the focus on normality and what works and provides emotional nourishment in life that rebuilds resilience, or at the very least contains the trauma to manageable levels. People tend to do this naturally by restricting their life so that triggers are not part of their life - but the problem with this is that life becomes narrower an narrower - so one way or another the only sensible way out is finding - proactively or not - ways of being more aware of our own capacities and resources, and signs of external support of various kinds. Big topic. Books by Glenn Schiraldi (a US military-funded researcher) are particularly accessible and a useful place to start.

The complexity of trauma - and the way that individuals are affected (or not) in so many different ways - means that to think of "rape victims" as all in one category is not that far from a slightly re-packaged form of racism. in one of my therapy training courses, the founder of the school gave us serious food for thought with one of his case histories. Here a very young child had been sexually groomed by her father. But aside from the usual boundary issues this causes, the main trauma that affected her adult life was thinking that somehow she had acted in a way that drew attention to her father and got him convicted and imprisoned. "Rape Victims" are a construct of the media and of a legal system that demands there be a victim - in fact - we have a load of individuals who have one common thread in their lives that has caused them to be grouped together. This mass labelling (and its pitfalls) is a vast topic in its own right.

Punishment, atonement, retribution, removal of dangerous persons from society and "justice" via a legal system - will never be perfect as long as we also do our best to make sure that we don't convict innocent people. And will never please everyone, regardless of the outcome. And in the case of personal violence will always be in danger of increasing trauma, because someone has to stand up there and be a witness, and have to be pulled apart to some degree by defence lawyers. But again I see that also acted out with personal injury claims on insurance - the legal battle one way or another pays a premium on remaining damaged until some result is achieved. Some people - when and if they become aware of this insidious motivation creeping in - are able to separate from it. Not everyone.

wrt incest and the case of the thread, one major theme that tends to arise that runs particularly deeply is one of betrayal by the adults who were meant to provide protection and siblings who were meant to be good friends. Being dragged and displayed round the media - and by chat boards like this one all over the internet... whilst a few might feel validated by this public discussion, for most people it just increases the exposure, increases the shame, and adds insult to injury.

Just to finish, wrt to "repressed memory" and suggestion... There are some truly horrific acts regularly committed by apparently respectable people who rely on this "repressed memory = false memory" myth to keep getting away with it. Any therapist who specialises in sexual trauma is specifically trained to neither suggest or interpret. This is a current issue in the UK after an incredibly naive and biased BBC documentary was shown last week. The fact is that society doesn't like to admit that it has a few incredibly rotten apples at its core, and these people often do their best to get jobs which allow them to protect through "the system" both themselves and their "friends". Jimmy Saville was a maverick who attracted unpleasant people around him - but there are far more organised and dangerous groups who these myths protect. Practically speaking, if anyone is driven past a certain point of trauma, they dissociate and lose waking access to memories of "causal events" - sometimes for decades - whilst the trauma still plays out in their behaviour. This fact has been known and used maliciously for a long time.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Croesos, all I have to say in response is that I think "innocent until proven guilty" means something.

Yes, it's a very important legal standard applied by courts. It's not meant to be a rule for the general populace. To paraphrase A Man For All Seasons, a court must construe according to the law but the world may construe according to its wits.

quote:
If the answer is "we don't know", then it's not appropriate in my view to say "we know he was doing something 13 years ago as a child, so let's err on the side of presuming he's still doing something".

It may seem unfair to the former embezzler that he can't have his old job at the bank back, but I don't think it's "inappropriate" for a bank manager to take that position. It seems similarly unrealistic to insist that Brenda Clough, to cite a Ship-based and fairly emphatic example, be required to give someone like Josh Duggar unsupervised access to her daughter. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't stretch anywhere near that far.

quote:
It is actually this attitude towards sexual offences that makes genuine rehabilitation so damn difficult.

I'd argue that what makes genuine rehabilitation of sex offenders so difficult is the deep-seated nature of their compulsion. Quite frankly, anyone motivated to commit further sex offenses because people don't trust him after his last string of sex offenses seems downright sociopathic.

quote:
I went on to state that trauma tends to get indelibly burned upon our brains. This is pretty much common to all human beings, whether that trauma be through abuse or the death of a loved one, or whatever. We also have the capacity to remember in particularly vivid terms, strange and curious details and we may not be sure why we have that detail written large in the memory. In rare circumstances the trauma is so great that the mind removes (or cuts off access) all memory of the event and in some cases this takes the passage of time before details of it begin to trickle back; in rare cases it never does.

It's my understanding that memories aren't typically repressed in isolated cases of trauma (one time events). It's more typically a reaction to long-term, ongoing trauma on a continuing or constant basis.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I appreciate your honesty in sharing your own story, but you assume a lot; nine paragraphs to be exact, none of which I actually stated yet you have imputed I believed and held to. I have to be honest, I found it quite offensive.

Fletcher Christian, it was not my intention to offend you. For doing so, I apologize. That said, I myself was offended by aspects of your post. Specifically, these phrases:

quote:
I would suspect that the event is forever burned in their brain; much as they might love to try and forget it.

and

quote:
The passing of time would seem to me to be a crucial factor in enabling abuse survivors to reach a point when they are able to face it enough to go to court.

Both suggest to me an image (one you might possibly be holding, whether consciously or not) of rape victims as (A) out-of-control, and (B) permanently crippled in some fashion. That – and nothing to do with the statute of limitations (about which I also have opinions, but that’s another matter) – was what I was responding to.

In point of fact, regaining a sense of control is the beginning part of most survivors’ recovery. What rape generally does to its victims (besides the obvious) is remove, usually but not always temporarily (though temporary can sometimes mean years), a sense of personal autonomy. That is, I get to say whether or not I engage in Activity X.

The first step in this process is often, paradoxically, a form of self-blame. Survivors often search for ways in which they might have avoided / prevented the attack through something they could have done differently. “If only I had left earlier. If I hadn’t said or done X. If I lived in a different place,” etc. etc. Others may interpret this as self-blame (and sometimes it is; God knows, there are plenty of socially-condoned messages Out There which DO blame victims for their victimization), but – provided the survivor is allowed to continue processing her experience – she often, through this process, begins to re-establish the sense of control and autonomy she had before the attack.

So the implication – by claiming that survivors cannot “forget,” however hard they try, something they’d rather not focus on – is that survivors are no longer in control of their own inner workings. This is very hard for this survivor to hear. You have no idea how hard I worked or for how long to regain my own sense of control.

The second issue is about memory. I am old enough, and far enough from this and other significant life events, to know just how fluid human memories are. We aren’t bio-video-recorders. Even as memories are being laid down as events unfold, we are selecting some details and suppressing others. Not only that, but what we recall 10 minutes after the fact will differ markedly from how we recall the same event a week, a month, a year, a decade, later.
As recovery proceeds, we continue processing memories of the event, re-interpreting them, assigning different “weights” and meanings to the bits that make them up, until finally, we have re-shaped the original into something we can live with, or stash, or suppress, or deal with in whatever way we can. And as Itsarumdo also points out, that’s different for each individual.

I have shared my experience IRL with a few selected individuals since I recovered, and have nearly always regretted it. Why? Precisely because most of the time, I find the other party instantly slots me into a “class” labeled “rape victims,” from which I am then never allowed to escape. Suddenly, I find myself handled with kid gloves. Men, particularly, become wary of me, as though I might suddenly, with neither warning nor reason, accuse them of rape. It’s a decidedly unpleasant experience. You had no way of knowing this, but it was this which aroused my ire and colored my response.

Again, my apologies for causing offense, coupled with a respectful request that you might re-consider or re-examine your own beliefs about victims, survivors, and recovery.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Itsarumdo:
quote:

There are quite a few misconceptions there, Fletcher

I'm sorry, I'm not following. Where are the misconceptions in regards to the context of the statute of limitation?

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Porridge:
quote:

Both suggest to me an image (one you might possibly be holding, whether consciously or not) of rape victims as (A) out-of-control, and (B) permanently crippled in some fashion.

I can categorically assure you that I hold to neither of those assumptions in a conscious or unconscious manner.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Posted by Porridge:
quote:

Both suggest to me an image (one you might possibly be holding, whether consciously or not) of rape victims as (A) out-of-control, and (B) permanently crippled in some fashion.

I can categorically assure you that I hold to neither of those assumptions in a conscious or unconscious manner.
I do not doubt your whole-hearted belief in this statement. It does nevertheless sit, at least for this reader, at odds with your use of words like "indelible" about survivors' memories, hence the request.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Let me explain (and if hosts need to remove any part of this due to the thread it's on, so be it).

Let's put it this way. There's a thing called the statute of limitations that means that someone who is in a situation - let's call it a 'family set up', who may not yet be at the stage in life when they can make decisions for themselves or the means to speak for themselves. This might be their time in life and nothing whatsoever to do with their inner well-being and their sense of self. But it might also be to do with circumstance and the sort of nonsense they are fed where they are deliberately told untruth to stop the truth being told or revealed and being young and impressionable (as we all were once) they might actually believe it. Now lets say there might be a 'random' example of this that would demonstrate fairly clearly that the statute of limitations makes a nonsense of someones ability and right to pursue justice at a later stage. Now, bearing that in mind,and...ahem... a certain thread.....ahem.....you hopefully don't have to look terribly far for an example of why I think the statute of limitations is a farce.

Now that bit above might be removed and so be it if it's too close to the bone of contention and speculation, but then let me try and respond to the other things without gross assumption being inferred.

quote:

Survivors often search for ways in which they might have avoided / prevented the attack through something they could have done differently. “If only I had left earlier. If I hadn’t said or done X. If I lived in a different place,” etc. etc. Others may interpret this as self-blame (and sometimes it is; God knows, there are plenty of socially-condoned messages Out There which DO blame victims for their victimization), but – provided the survivor is allowed to continue processing her experience – she often, through this process, begins to re-establish the sense of control and autonomy she had before the attack.

I understand this fully. Some people are able to answer these questions remarkably quickly; for others it takes a long time and they feel unable to do so without support (whatever form that might take). For some, part of the process is seeking justice and getting it and for some, to do this means being at that point you describe before they make any kind of tracks down that road. The statute of limitations basically ensures that the possibility of the pursuit of justice only and solely lies open to the people I described first, simply because it sets a time limit.

quote:

So the implication – by claiming that survivors cannot “forget,” however hard they try, something they’d rather not focus on – is that survivors are no longer in control of their own inner workings. This is very hard for this survivor to hear. You have no idea how hard I worked or for how long to regain my own sense of control.

I can see how this can be read in this way, but I assure you that is not what I meant. If I had meant that I would also be asserting that someone in a car accident or who had witnessed the death of a loved one was somehow 'no longer in control of their own inner workings'. On the flip side of that I know and have experience of people who repress trauma (whatever it may be) and who would very much like the memory not to be there and the result can be complex and difficult. Granted it may have been a poor choice of words in describing it as burned on the brain (they were borrowed words), but I wasn't using them to infer any kind of moral judgement.

quote:

The second issue is about memory. I am old enough, and far enough from this and other significant life events, to know just how fluid human memories are. We aren’t bio-video-recorders. Even as memories are being laid down as events unfold, we are selecting some details and suppressing others. Not only that, but what we recall 10 minutes after the fact will differ markedly from how we recall the same event a week, a month, a year, a decade, later.
As recovery proceeds, we continue processing memories of the event, re-interpreting them, assigning different “weights” and meanings to the bits that make them up, until finally, we have re-shaped the original into something we can live with, or stash, or suppress, or deal with in whatever way we can. And as Itsarumdo also points out, that’s different for each individual.

Yes, I agree. I was stating this in relation to the statute of limitations and in light of my own experience and that of others. Again, this was not a moral judgement, nor was it a judgement about how people forever will be or be perceived. It was to do with evidence and the clarity of memory around trauma.

quote:

I have shared my experience IRL with a few selected individuals since I recovered, and have nearly always regretted it. Why? Precisely because most of the time, I find the other party instantly slots me into a “class” labeled “rape victims,” from which I am then never allowed to escape. Suddenly, I find myself handled with kid gloves.

If I gave you that impression somewhere in my responses I do apologise that was certainly not my intent.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there some remark by the aunt in "The Towers of Trebizond", in response to being told about dress codes in Turkey, about men needing to learn to control themselves? I would like to post it, but have discovered that my belief that I own a copy is false.
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to the video and transcript of the interview from last night of the parents where they say that the allegations are true (ie, their son when he was 14-15 fondled 4 of their daughters and a babysitter) [DELETED]

http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2015/06/04/exclusive-duggars-open-up-about-molestation-allegations-on-kelly-file/
[DELETED]

As has already been said, the statute of limitations coupled with their son's age at the time has allowed a judge to purge all record of the events from his legal record permanently.

[Edited as per previous guidelines]

[ 04. June 2015, 19:46: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

hosting/

In view of the potential libel issues hanging over this thread I have stepped in forthwith to remove material I judge to be over the line.

Stonespring, please read the hosting guidelines summarized here.

In particular, your post falls foul of this:
quote:
If you can link to a source that says "this happened" then knock yourselves out in quoting it and saying "if that did happen, then it's wrong/dangerous/inadvisable/whatever", but don't post allegations of possible misconduct based on what you think might have happened. Link to it if it's been reported. Otherwise DON'T POST IT.
There has been further discussion backstage of whether to put this thread out of its misery. If there are any more posts we have to prune like that, it will be locked without further warning.

/hosting

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
If the answer is "we don't know", then it's not appropriate in my view to say "we know he was doing something 13 years ago as a child, so let's err on the side of presuming he's still doing something".

It may seem unfair to the former embezzler that he can't have his old job at the bank back, but I don't think it's "inappropriate" for a bank manager to take that position.
I think it's unlikely that the embezzler had a job at the bank 13 years ago as a child.

In other words, if you're going to make analogies that are so broad and general as this, I just don't think the analogies will be helpful. I'm focusing on context and circumstances. You seem to be saying that it's the same principle no matter what the context.

Why do we actually have concepts such as a juvenile justice system if it makes no different whether you're a juvenile or an adult?

[ 05. June 2015, 03:12: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's unlikely that the embezzler had a job at the bank 13 years ago as a child.

If working at a bank is a reasonable analogy, the question is perhaps this:

13 years ago, as a 14-year-old, a boy on several occasions took loose change from his siblings bedrooms / bags / whatever. Should he be employed in a bank now?

Maybe, maybe not.

In this case, of course, we can dismiss the "harm" to his victims - having had a few dollars pocket money stolen several years ago doesn't have long-term consequences for anyone.

The fact that he used to go through his siblings clothing for loose change would certainly speak to his (lack of) character at the time, and one might suppose a correlation between being a dishonest teenager and being a dishonest adult. I don't know how big that correlation is, though.

Now let's consider Josh Duggar. His sisters Jill and Jessa have apparently spoken to Fox "news" about the fact that they are two of the victims of their brother's actions. From that article, the actions involved are touching of breast and groin areas over clothing.

Obviously this isn't OK; on the scale of sexual assualts, it's at the mild end. So far as I am aware, neither Josh Duggar nor his relatives have spoken about his motivations. One can imagine different motivations for his actions, ranging from "curiosity about girls" to sexual gratification. The unusual environment in which the Duggar children were raised seems to me to make the "curiosity" motivation much more likely than it would be in a "normal" child - let's just say that I imagine that neither human biology nor sexual ethics and consent issues were very high on the Duggar curriculum. Purity cults are notoriously bad at dealing well with issues of consent.

To the extent that "curiosity" explains his actions, he's not a paedophile, and there would be no reason to suppose he poses any increased risk to children.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Thank you, Leorning.

You have pretty much hit upon my key objection, the risk of assuming a strong correlation between behaviour at age 14 and behaviour as an adult.

I think it flies in the face of all practical experience to treat a person at age 14 as fully formed in terms of all their behaviours. We simply don't treat normal teenagers of that age as all grown up. Nor should we. They are still developing, physically, mentally, emotionally.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until he stands up naked with his head bowed, chops off a pinkie and wraps it in a napkin and passes it to his sisters at a press conference, there can be no truth and reconciliation.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016