homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fal$e Teacher$ (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fal$e Teacher$
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Benny Hinn, Benny Hill. I like Hill better.

There is of course a 2 for 1 offer available
Well done! Thank you for that!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beeswax wrote:

quote:
Osteen occupies the same position as Norman Vincent Peale and everybody adored him. He was a nice well educated Protestant clergyman not one of those crazy yokels with a tent.

Well, speaking as a Canadian Gen Xer, I'd say it's been at least forty years since the general public had anything beyond the skethchiest idea of who Peale was.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I knew about Graham, Falwell, Swaggart, and Oral Roberts. Peale was someone I might have seen on the cover of a "positive thinking" book at the drugstore a couple of times, and even on that score, by the late 70s he had been pretty seriously overshadowed by about a dozen other writers in the field.

And in his heyday, he did actually carry some aura of disrepute in respectable middle-class liberal circles...

"I find Paul appealing..."

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Yes - good story La Vie en Rouge.

@Bibliophile - whilst I agree with you about the toxicity of the prosperity-gospel and the word-of-faith malarkey -- it's a form of carcinogenic, fast-food Christianity -- I do think there is a danger of people becoming fixated with it in the opposite way ie. developing an unhealthy obsession with going around trying to debunk and expose it.

I'm not suggesting you are doing so, nor am I suggesting it shouldn't be debunked and exposed but I've seen a number of people who've become so obsessed with distancing themselves from this side of things and in exposing it to show how 'sound' and sensible they are by contrast with it that they get themselves all het up and hot and bothered ...

That can't be healthy either.

I would agree with most of that. Identifying false teachers is an important topic but of course it shouldn't be the central focus. The one thing I would disagree with is that the 'prosperity gospel/word of faith' is 'a form of carcinogenic, fast-food Christianity'. As far as I can see it isn't Christian at all.
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
As it so happens, husband en rouge and I were discussing Benny Hinn over dinner last night. He was telling me how he once harshed Benny Hinn’s mellow. [Big Grin]

Back in the day, husband en rouge was a member of a large charismatic church in Paris (it still exists, but I believe it’s quite a lot smaller than it once was). He was the keyboard player/worship leader. This was in the days when collapsing on the floor was all the vogue, about the late 90s.

Benny Hinn’s big Parisian event was hosted by this particular church and his team were praying for a “special anointing” on the musicians. At this point the whole worship band sank to the ground in a stupor… with the honourable exception of husband en rouge, who stayed standing up, looking annoyed (he had already been less than impressed with the preaching). When he was prevailed upon to collapse, he declaimed in a suitably loud voice, “I am not falling over. I am a standing up Christian.” He reckons it wrecked the event for them.

(I just thought you’d enjoy the story.)

Great story, I very much approve.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trouble is, Bibliophile, plenty of Christians are deceived by it - so claiming it's not Christian at all might be going too far - a distorted form of Christianity is still Christianity to some extent.

It depends where we draw the line. I've come across people who don't believe that Calvinists are Christians, for instance - others who don't believe that Catholics are ...

I'm always wary of bandying the 'h' word - but I do believe that Copeland, Hagin, Hinn and others have crossed that line.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
originally posted by leo:
They don't claim to be Bible-believing but they do a good service in debunking the idols/false gods that some religious people believe in.

Anybody preaching a version of Christianity compatible with atheism is a false teacher. Sea of Faith isn't debunking anything.
I wonder how much Cuppitt you have actually read. Miuch of his writing about the sorts of god that are human projections mirror the great mystics and he also writes about the dark nioght of the soul.

I doubt that you would say that S. John of the Cross was an heretic.

To use the word 'atheist' to describe Sea of Faith is too simplistic - though I grant you that the likes of Spong deserve the accusation. I always get the feeling with Spong that he isn't very bright and misunderstands the stuff he writes when he comes to embrace a new position.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a Benny Hinn thing a few years back, aware I knew him only by rumor, he's in the area, it's free, why not go make my own judgment of him?

It was, er, interesting.

Both the theology and the extensive appeal for money.

I have friends who were on the mission field, no job, when they spoke in churches at home they never asked for money at the end of a talk, believing it's God who supports them. They never missed a meal. They also didn't have a multi-million dollar house.

Not saying their model is right for all, not saying asking for money is inherently wrong, but 45 minutes of "give me $1,000 and get this beautiful gold-plated pin of my logo, for 10k you get one with a tiny diamond" is not my cup of tea.

Neither is, in the midst of a "God will heal you" speech "God won't heal you if you are over 70" because the Bible says man's years are 3 score and 10 so it's downhill from there. Huh?

OTOH some friends who scorn Benny Hinn LOVE Joyce Meyers. I am not familiar with her. But one thing women in the conservative churches seem to crave is affirmation of women, which may explain the popularity of Beth Moore (who is good but like anyone not always right) and Joyce Meyers - popular *because* they are women addressing women affirmatively, their theology less important than that life-giving affirmation in the "women are secondary to men" churches.

Which raised a question, who is more to be shunned, those who know how to market books affirming the worth of the downtrodden, or those many "unknown" who get into a position of minor local power and use it to downtrod half the population?

So, no I don't see the list as valid, it needs more nuance than just "Christians who market their ideas are inherently wrong." Or is it wealth that is "inherently wrong"? That would kick out a few saints and Billy Graham, who also was not perfect but did some good work.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
That would kick out a few saints and Billy Graham, who also was not perfect but did some good work.

Arguably not Billy, who was fairly circumspect in his financial affairs, taking a relatively modest salary (compared to the company we're discussing here) rather than a % of the large amounts of $$ donated to his ministry. The same can not be said for his son, Franklin, but that's another rant.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Billy Graham apologists really take some beating. Sure he was a bigoted anti-semite and used his missionaries in Vietnam to supply information for a plan of mass murder he flogged to Nixon—he did some good stuff too!

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
So, no I don't see the list as valid, it needs more nuance than just "Christians who market their ideas are inherently wrong." Or is it wealth that is "inherently wrong"? That would kick out a few saints and Billy Graham, who also was not perfect but did some good work.

Its not the fact that they market their ideas and its not the fact that they are wealthy. Its the fact that every single one of the people named on the list are part of the 'prosperity gospel'/'word of faith'
movement.

The huge ethical and theological problems with this form of religion have been discussed on this thread. The fact that people like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer are a bit more subtle in their promotion of this form of religion than the likes of Benny Hinn or Robert Tilton doesn't really make them better.

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
The Billy Graham apologists really take some beating. Sure he was a bigoted anti-semite and used his missionaries in Vietnam to supply information for a plan of mass murder he flogged to Nixon—he did some good stuff too!

K.

Without wanting to turn into a Billy Graham apologist here can you think of a better plan that could have been achieved for defeating the communist aggression in Vietnam?
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
quote:

K.

Without wanting to turn into a Billy Graham apologist here can you think of a better plan that could have been achieved for defeating the communist aggression in Vietnam?
My response would be too far off the topic of this thread and apparently disagree with you. If you want to discuss it, start a thread on the topic of USA's habit of brutal aggression and see if anyone shows up.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone getting rich from Christianity is a false teacher, a heretic.

ANYONE.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
quote:
They don't claim to be Bible-believing but they do a good service in debunking the idols/false gods that some religious people believe in.

Anybody preaching a version of Christianity compatible with atheism is a false teacher. Sea of Faith isn't debunking anything.
I wonder how much Cuppitt you have actually read. Miuch of his writing about the sorts of god that are human projections mirror the great mystics and he also writes about the dark nioght of the soul.

To use the word 'atheist' to describe Sea of Faith is too simplistic - though I grant you that the likes of Spong deserve the accusation. I always get the feeling with Spong that he isn't very bright and misunderstands the stuff he writes when he comes to embrace a new position.

If you think John of the Cross was an atheist, I doubt how much John of the Cross you have actually read.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you think John of the Cross was an atheist, I doubt how much John of the Cross you have actually read.
To describe the whole of the Sea of Faith Network as atheistic may be inaccurate, but I don't think the same can be said for Don Cuppitt - if by God you mean an objective existent or reality. For him, the term is merely a linguistic symbol and doesn't go beyond that.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That comment strikes me as showing either

a) that you have not read much Cupitt and how he relates it to S. John of the Cross

b) remarkably silly to interpret what I wrote as remotely suggesting that S. John of the Cross was atheist.

My general take on Sea of Faith is that i don't believe in the sort of god they don't believe in (indeed that is part of parcel of the purgation process - to be followed by illumination and union.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe in (an) objective God, who transcends all our subjective experience of God.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
To describe the whole of the Sea of Faith Network as atheistic may be inaccurate, but I don't think the same can be said for Don Cuppitt - if by God you mean an objective existent or reality. For him, the term is merely a linguistic symbol and doesn't go beyond that.

The network is a very broad church - I know quite a ferw membners, two of them very well.

I think Cupitt was good on problems but rubbish at solutions - but I'd be careful to talk about 'mere' symbol.

Symbols, like sacraments partake of the reality to which they point.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I went to a Benny Hinn thing a few years back, aware I knew him only by rumor, he's in the area, it's free, why not go make my own judgment of him?

It was, er, interesting.

Both the theology and the extensive appeal for money.

I have friends who were on the mission field, no job, when they spoke in churches at home they never asked for money at the end of a talk, believing it's God who supports them. They never missed a meal. They also didn't have a multi-million dollar house.

Not saying their model is right for all, not saying asking for money is inherently wrong, but 45 minutes of "give me $1,000 and get this beautiful gold-plated pin of my logo, for 10k you get one with a tiny diamond" is not my cup of tea.

Neither is, in the midst of a "God will heal you" speech "God won't heal you if you are over 70" because the Bible says man's years are 3 score and 10 so it's downhill from there. Huh?

OTOH some friends who scorn Benny Hinn LOVE Joyce Meyers. I am not familiar with her. But one thing women in the conservative churches seem to crave is affirmation of women, which may explain the popularity of Beth Moore (who is good but like anyone not always right) and Joyce Meyers - popular *because* they are women addressing women affirmatively, their theology less important than that life-giving affirmation in the "women are secondary to men" churches.

Which raised a question, who is more to be shunned, those who know how to market books affirming the worth of the downtrodden, or those many "unknown" who get into a position of minor local power and use it to downtrod half the population?

That is an interesting comment on Joyce Meyer and Beth Moore and their ilk, and women in churches that do not affirm women (though I suspect the women would see things differently!).

A friend invited me to a women's conference (here in the UK) featuring both Joyce Meyer and Beth Moore. I declined, guessing that such an event would be um, not my thing. ~Women's Ministry~ in general brings me out in hives. But your comment does make me think about whether that's because I don't need it - I don't need fluffy affirmations because I have affirmations made of stronger stuff, but if I had no affirmations at all I'd want the fluffy kind over nothing. Even when I was in women-unfriendly churches (from my POV) I always thought women's ministry was bunkum and went to the debates on science and faith/OT theology/church history etc.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The influence of right-wingers like Joyce Meyers is increasing amongst UK evangelicals. Nicky Gumbel is clearly matey with her (I wonder if he's flown in her private jet yet?). The other aspect of that movement is the 'power of submission' doctrine that flows strongest from the likes of Stormy O'Martian, et al.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gumbel is matey with anyone he thinks is influential or who can help him set his own stall out.

I wouldn't use Gumbel as a barometer for UK evangelcalism ... not even within the New Wine constituency within Anglican evangelicalism necessarily.

It does bother me, though, that people like Meyers are being invited in out of the cold, though.

I met with dismissive reactions when I warned some Anglican charismatics to watch out for Bill Johnson and Bethel a few years ago.

It worries me that mainstream charismatics and evangelicals appear to turn a blind-eye to some of this stuff.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's dodgy about Bethel? Genuine question. I know they have a dedicated prayer team for raising the dead...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
What's dodgy about Bethel? Genuine question. I know they have a dedicated prayer team for raising the dead...

I think you've answered your own question there...

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well they'd be very quick to suggest prayer ministry (aka exorcism) for those admitting to LGTB practice or orientation.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:

I think you've answered your own question there...
Their notorious leader, Bill Johnson, claimed that Jesus appeared in their church as a cloud of gold glitter. His son, a leader of the band at the church, claimed he had walked on water in front of 80 witnesses.

Need I go on?

K.

P.S. I should also add that his total insanity guaranteed him and his son invitations to speak at… HTB in London of course!

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
The influence of right-wingers like Joyce Meyers is increasing amongst UK evangelicals. Nicky Gumbel is clearly matey with her (I wonder if he's flown in her private jet yet?). The other aspect of that movement is the 'power of submission' doctrine that flows strongest from the likes of Stormy O'Martian, et al.

K.

Now I have to confess that I've never studied the 'Alpha Course' and I'm not really too familiar with what Gumbel teachers. However I did know that he was associated with the rather dodgy 'Toronto Blessing' which is a big red flag for me. If its true that he's matey with Joyce Meyer then I'm afraid that removes nearly all doubt for me. A minister so closely associated with a notorious false teacher like Meyer is either a fool unaware of her false teaching or is a false teacher themselves. I would be surprised if Gumbel was a fool.

Is that a fair comment to make about him?

Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

quote:
quote:

K.

Now I have to confess that I've never studied the 'Alpha Course' and I'm not really too familiar with what Gumbel teachers. However I did know that he was associated with the rather dodgy 'Toronto Blessing' which is a big red flag for me. If its true that he's matey with Joyce Meyer then I'm afraid that removes nearly all doubt for me. A minister so closely associated with a notorious false teacher like Meyer is either a fool unaware of her false teaching or is a false teacher themselves. I would be surprised if Gumbel was a fool.

I don't know what you mean by 'false teaching' (though I think you know what you mean). That kind of presumptuousness also sounds repellent to me. 'Oh, we've got it right and they've got it wrong'. What if you're both (or all) wrong?

For what it's worth, doctrine and/or theology are scarcely on the map for that particular stripe of evangelical (Osteen, Gumbel, Meyers, etc.). There is no core theology underneath it all, apart from the magic glow that comes from having Jesus as your boyfriend. For the HTB set, there will be no theological challenge to you (or your 'ministry') so long as you put 'relationship with Jesus' on your flag.

From my perspective these are merely degrees of a con—a game of tennis played with soap bubbles.

K.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know what you mean by 'false teaching' (though I think you know what you mean). That kind of presumptuousness also sounds repellent to me. 'Oh, we've got it right and they've got it wrong'. What if you're both (or all) wrong?

For what it's worth, doctrine and/or theology are scarcely on the map for that particular stripe of evangelical (Osteen, Gumbel, Meyers, etc.). There is no core theology underneath it all, apart from the magic glow that comes from having Jesus as your boyfriend. For the HTB set, there will be no theological challenge to you (or your 'ministry') so long as you put 'relationship with Jesus' on your flag.

fwiw, your 2nd para seems as guilty of what you're decrying in the 1st para as anything I've read here. It's a danger we're all prone to I think.

[ 17. June 2015, 13:52: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

fwiw, your 2nd para seems as guilty of what you're decrying in the 1st para as anything I've read here. It's a danger we're all prone to I think.
In a sense, you're right—I was trying to wear two hats at one to make a point.

K.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Understood. It's hard to do the one w/o the other, much as one strives not to.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
quote:

From my perspective these are merely degrees of a con—a game of tennis played with soap bubbles.

K.

Osteen and Meyers might not talk much about theological details but there is a theology that lies behind their teaching and it is 'word of faith/prosperity gospel', They haven't simply 'got it wrong', they're teaching heresy and calling it Christianity.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Re Bethel - I suppose it did answer my own question! I just didn't know how 'normal' that was for charismatic churches. I don't know much about the big charismatic churches aside from some of the music.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Not normal at all.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. So all the Christian TV and radio isn't normal? All the megachurches aren't normal? All the damnationism isn't normal? All the esoteric placist paternalist sexist homophobic exclusivism isn't normal? All the con/char evo isn't normal? Believing weird, incoherent stuff as mandatory isn't normal?

Steve Chalke. Now HE'S not normal.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Hmmm. So all the Christian TV and radio isn't normal?

Decidedly not normal.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
All the megachurches aren't normal?

Megachurches are a diverse lot, at least in the US, from the high-candle liberal to the happy-clappy con-evo and about everything in between. Hard to generalize in any way other than that they are big.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What kind of television and radio are normal?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

SOL

The aberrant IS normal. The lunatics run all the asylums.

--------------------
Love wins

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What kind of television and radio are normal?

BBC World Service and Radio 4 are pretty darned normal. The latter has its offbeat moments, mostly to keep the rest of it straight.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

What makes them normal?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What makes them normal?

On one hand music isn't core content but while there is a lot of news and current affairs the nearest thing to a vox pop on either is 'Any Answers' which brings out 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'. Otherwise, both are civilised though a bit earnest for many.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think Beeswax Altar's question goes deeper than that, Sioni Sais.

Radio 4 is pretty 'normal' if you are a liberally educated, middle-class type - like we are - thee and me ...

It doesn't sound 'normal' if you are a teenager, or you are a Sun reader (and I don't mean that disrespectfully) or from a different demographic to thee or me.

I take your point - I'm a huge BBC fan - but there is a serious question as to what constitutes 'normal'.

People Like Us is only normal to People Like Us.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of TV/radio evangelists are hugely entertaining to a lot of people. Their broadcasts are a spectacle. There is, of course, nothing wrong with people being entertainers, and even earning obscene amounts of money. The problem is that there is a blurring of lines between entertainment and ministry. I think for some celebrity preachers they've let the need to entertain dominate their act to the detriment of their theology. So, people who have an ability to help people through ill-health become healers and feel a need to present increasingly more spectacular miracles to satisfy the demands of their audience for novelty. Preachers get told by their PR consultants that they message they've been preaching is old, and they need to introduce novelty for their audience ... and novelty in theology is often just old heresy.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

For those who don't like to say who is right and who is wrong on questions of theology try watching this set of clips of wealthy TV 'prosperity gospel' preacher Mike Murdock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVITd4_d0M

(Note:The youtube video seems to have been made by an atheist but there isn't too much commentary on the video)

If you are able to watch the full 10 minutes without throwing up do you still think its wrong to judge some theology as being wrong?

Also to those that think that Meyers and Osteen can't be all that bad because they are more moderate try watching the clip and remembering that what they are offering is a watered down version of that.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I think Beeswax Altar's question goes deeper than that, Sioni Sais.

Radio 4 is pretty 'normal' if you are a liberally educated, middle-class type - like we are - thee and me ...

It doesn't sound 'normal' if you are a teenager, or you are a Sun reader (and I don't mean that disrespectfully) or from a different demographic to thee or me.

I take your point - I'm a huge BBC fan - but there is a serious question as to what constitutes 'normal'.

People Like Us is only normal to People Like Us.

Yes and Christian preachers always had a presence on radio and television. Usually, the ones using radio and television weren't considered normal by liberally educated middle class types. However, the false teachers have always used them. John Lennon wrote "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" after hearing The Rev. Ike say something similar on late night television.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Most of those on public service broadcasting here would be considered 'normal' - but it all depends on the stand-point of course.

Meanwhile, I do agree with Bibliophile on the 'wrongness' of the prosperity gospel. It'sIt's wrong wherever we are standing.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

As wrong as you Bibliophile.

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I daresay we're all 'wrong' over some aspect or other, Martin

The difference is that if Bibliophile is wrong about some aspects or other, he's not causing untold harm with books, broadcasts, conference appearances and so on - or at least I assume he isn't. [Biased]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He broadcasts redemptive violence right here. Qualitatively he's just as wrong as those deluded snake oil pedlars, drunk on their own product.

--------------------
Love wins

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Yes but you are even more wrong still because you reject the message of redemptive violence preached by Jesus.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The more pertinent message preached by Jesus had something to do with specks in the eye.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Where did Jesus exemplify redemptive violence?

In being the willing, faithful victim of it?

Where did He command it? The perpetration of it?

How do we get from submitting to the abuse of power to abusing power?

When?

How?

Fig trees don't count. Being robust in the temple DOESN'T COUNT.

When did His followers use it? When did they start?

Can you love your enemies whilst napalming them?

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016