homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Associate Archdeacons

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Associate Archdeacons
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Word reaches me that the Bishop of London has appointed a new Archdeacon of London and an Associate Archdeacon of London. Does anyone know whether there is such a thing as an Associate Archdeacon anywhere else?
Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Using my amazing google skills, I have discovered that the title "Associate Archdeacon" has been known in the Anglican Communion since at least 1926 and that Canon John Day was appointed Associate Archdeacon to the Diocese of Liverpool in 2014.

--------------------
arse

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Two Cities Area of London is moving from having two Archdeacons with other, additional responsibilities, both parochial and administrative, to having one full-time Archdeacon with no additional responsibilities and an Associate Archdeacon who is also the Dean of Women's Ministry for the whole of the diocese of London. That's how I read this communication anyway: http://www.london.anglican.org/articles/archdeacons-two-cities-ad-clerum-0615/

[ 17. June 2015, 09:35: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The position, juridically, does not exist. However, under a number of pieces of legislation, and the Canons the Bishop (in some cases) and the Archdeacon (in others) may delegate certain archidiaconal functions to another priest.

That is what will be going on here. The interesting question would be what would happen if the Archdeacon and the "Associate Archdeacon" fell out and the Archdeacon withdrew his delegation.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our diocese has restructured so we have one less archdeacon that before but a priest is 'acting up' to gain experience so that he can apply for preferment.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or an archsubdeacon, perhaps? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
Or an archsubdeacon, perhaps? [Roll Eyes]

Most of the subdeacons I have encountered (at least liturgically) have tended to be 'arch'. [Big Grin]

Sorry, I'll get my biretta.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archdeaconry of Charing Cross is being suppressed. The Two Cities Area will be under the Archdeacon of London, with an Associate Archdeacon - who is giving up her role as Dean of Women in order to take on the Safeguarding Portfolio in the Diocese along with her Archidiaconal duties. The legalities are tricky because of the "only one office holder per office" issue and the question of jurisdiction.

But we shall find ways of circumnavigating that. And it will be a good partnership to model for the CofE - a man who does not (yet!) accept the episcopal and priestly ministry of women working with a woman priest who has been an articulate and thoughtful campaigner on the issue.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One feels bound to ask WHY it is thought necessary to have a 'Dean of Women'? And if there is a need for such a person, who is the 'Dean of Men'?

There have been ordained women since 1994 so I'd have thought it was high time this sort of nonsense stopped.

The Church can't afford this sort of thing on purely economic grounds, never mind the 'jobs-for-the-girls' taste of the whole thing.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
One feels bound to ask WHY it is thought necessary to have a 'Dean of Women'? And if there is a need for such a person, who is the 'Dean of Men'?

There have been ordained women since 1994 so I'd have thought it was high time this sort of nonsense stopped.

The Church can't afford this sort of thing on purely economic grounds, never mind the 'jobs-for-the-girls' taste of the whole thing.

In most diocese, I believe, it is not a (separate) paid post - the person occupying the role often having a 'day job' in some other capacity in the diocese.

In many areas, there is still discrimination against women in ministry (not those objecting on theological grounds, but pure misogyny), and in those cases an advocate can be important. There are also questions to be addressed as to why the pattern of women offering themselves for ordination is so different to that of men, and whether that is tied into other issues, as well as many other areas that such a person might be engaged in dealing with.

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, I abolished the role in Willesden after consulting with the women clergy. Then we brought it back because there were no women in the staff team. It doesn't cost in London beyond a slight stipend uplift (so the "we can't afford it" canard can be laid to rest), and we do still face the glass ceiling problem.
There's still plenty more to do.

So the death of Deans of Women is probably premature. as the reports here indicate.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016