homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » American Civl War is still being fought (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: American Civl War is still being fought
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
However, I doubt they would be as willing to fly the battle flag next to the flag of oppression they were actually flying.

Might, possibly be because one is the a current flag of state?
quote:

quote:
Or maybe there is a third possibility, which is that the way MN feels when he sees the flag of Saudi Arabia or North Korea is fundamentally different from the way that some black people feel when they see a confederate flag.
What I'm looking for is consistency from our national leaders who will express their distaste for the confederate battle flag yet bow to the king of Saudi Arabia or even hold his hand.
Oh, I agree, our governments are woefully inconsistent in their addressing of human rights issues. So, I assume you take issue with their ignoring Darfur, general dealings with Israel and the like?

[ 13. July 2015, 19:01: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
It's what the Saudi flag was created for.

OK, you could argue that. Does this mean you are in sympathy with Shiites and moderate Sunnis?
My sympathy is with the idea of not messing with other people or their stuff and people being able to be honest with one another.

quote:
quote:
I don't mind if they fly at memorials to the slaughtered.

So, not at Fredericksburg, Bull Run, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, any of these places or these places? Looking at this list, the casualties seem relatively equal in most. So where were the slaughters?
You gave a list of slaughters then asked where the slaughters were.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You gave a list of slaughters then asked where the slaughters were.

OK, slaughter does mean the killing of large numbers of people. But it is often used to indicate a one-sided affair. But the Confederate battle flag has a lot more connotation than just that. So a memorial to the fallen should, IMO, not include it. Not saying make it illegal on private grounds, but ban it from any public.
Oh, how are you on Nazi flags at WWII battlefields?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think such flags should fly at capitols. Only the flags of the current governments should fly there. I don't mind if they fly at memorials to the slaughtered.

Don't public buildings in the US fly an assortment of other flags as well as the national one? - State and civic flags, flags associated with twinning agreements, flags associated with special days in the year, distinguished visitors and causes that the state or local authority wants to support etc?

And don't hotels fly all sorts of flags?

After all, Wells Cathedral flies what looks like the Scottish flag but that's because it is dedicated to St Andrew.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, slaughter does mean the killing of large numbers of people. But it is often used to indicate a one-sided affair. But the Confederate battle flag has a lot more connotation than just that. So a memorial to the fallen should, IMO, not include it. Not saying make it illegal on private grounds, but ban it from any public.

The confederate battle flag may be historically inaccurate for many of the dead since they used a variety of flags. I'd consult historians to see what actual flag the memorialized troops of the area marched under.

quote:
Oh, how are you on Nazi flags at WWII battlefields?
I'd have the descendants and family of the dead soldiers decide if and how they want to memorialize their dead.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Don't public buildings in the US fly an assortment of other flags as well as the national one? - State and civic flags, flags associated with twinning agreements, flags associated with special days in the year, distinguished visitors and causes that the state or local authority wants to support etc?

I believe that each state decides that.

quote:
And don't hotels fly all sorts of flags?
Well, the Fairmont in NYC was flying a Saudi flag. Maybe a bunch of Saudi swells were visiting. I don't know if it is always flown but it was there when I walked by. I checked earlier today on the hotel's website and it sure looks like you can still buy a drink there.

quote:
After all, Wells Cathedral flies what looks like the Scottish flag but that's because it is dedicated to St Andrew.
Is there something in history that associates Andrew with that flag, maybe how he was killed, or something?

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I believe that each state decides that.
Federal buildings will only fly the national flag. I've rarely seen any flags flying from a state building except the national flag and the state flag. The only exceptions I can think of are an occasional historical flag or a school flag at a public school. A county or municipal building may also fly the county or city/town flag, if there is one.

Mileage somewhere like NYC or LA may differ.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Federal buildings will only fly the national flag. I've rarely seen any flags flying from a state building except the national flag and the state flag. The only exceptions I can think of are an occasional historical flag or a school flag at a public school. A county or municipal building may also fly the county or city/town flag, if there is one.

Mileage somewhere like NYC or LA may differ.

Yep. I looked up the information about how to fly flags at the state house in Raleigh and all that is discussed is the federal and state flags.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, the Fairmont in NYC was flying a Saudi flag. Maybe a bunch of Saudi swells were visiting. I don't know if it is always flown but it was there when I walked by. I checked earlier today on the hotel's website and it sure looks like you can still buy a drink there.

I'd guess the New YOrk consulate of Saudi Arabia has its offices in the hotel. Hence the flag.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
quote:

I'd guess the New YOrk consulate of Saudi Arabia has its offices in the hotel. Hence the flag.

John

I've looked it up and the consulate is in another building.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect they were flying the flag to welcome a visiting Saudi dignitary.

C'mon - like or not (and I don't) the Saudis are big buddies of the USA.

I'm sure at any one time in New York, Washington, London, Paris, Tokyo, Sydney or anywhere else one could see flags flying from countries that one might disapprove of.

Heck, the US is hardly an exemplar in terms of the company it has kept over the years - Pinochet, Marcos, all manner of crack-pot Latin American fascist dictators ...

The same applies to the UK and to Western nations in general.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian hotels often fly the flags of countries from which they draw their guests. Normally, one sees US and UK flags, but sometimes, French, Japanese, Chinese, or Australian. The only approval signified is not that of their governments, but the hope that paying customers will feel welcome.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Harry Truman in 1947 have the Israeli flag put on his NYC hotel to signal his endorsement of the new state of Israel?
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work for a company that was a contractor to various navies around the world. They would fly the flags of Canada and the visiting customer-of-the-week. It went over quite well with the military men in the client delegations.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Harry Truman in 1947 have the Israeli flag put on his NYC hotel to signal his endorsement of the new state of Israel?
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, hotels do this all the time. They also have their own flags. Marriott hotels often fly their Marriott flag.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once more with feeling: the rebel rag is not a gracious-heritage-grits-'n'-gravy-nostalgic-Southern-charm-coconut-cake flag. It is a big middle finger directed right at the United States of America. Displaying that flag is explicitly saying that the USA should be divided in half, and one half should have slavery. That was the whole fucking point of the Civil War - no more UNITED States, and some men, women and children created unequal.

The Saudi flag - or the DPRK's, or the PRC's, or any other civil rights hellhole's flag is just not comparable. The USA is not at war with Saudi Arabia, and the Saudis are not trying to cause a split in the USA.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No use, SM. It is a red herring.
The Saudi flag is a current national flag. It might have a whole mess of issues, but they are not the same.
Just another smoke screen for not having a real argument else wise.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Displaying that flag is explicitly saying that the USA should be divided in half, and one half should have slavery. That was the whole fucking point of the Civil War - no more UNITED States, and some men, women and children created unequal.

No, it is not "explicitly" saying that, at least not necessarily. It is certainly fair to infer that, but that is not necessarily what people who display it are trying to communicate.

I saw a truck just this morning with two bumper stickers—one said "Native" with a Confederate flag, while other said "God Bless America" and showed an American flag. In my experience, many who sport Confederate flags consider themselves very loyal and patriotic Americans. Yes, cognitive dissonance may be going on, but they would say they love their country but protest the government.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is to say they are traitors. Flying the flag of those who fought against the country.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, cognitive dissonance may be going on, but they would say they love their country but protest the government.

Protesting one's own government is a longstanding American tradition, I'll grant you that. But it seems to me that the flying of those two flags side-by-side claims that the America of which the flag-flier claims to be "native" is the "real" America (and the one to which s/he is loyal), in much the same way that some white Anglo-Saxon Americans dismiss people of color, people with accents, and people with non-Anglo-Saxon surnames as "not real Americans."

government allegedly of the people by the people, though, is tantamount to saying "not, however, of or by this person."

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry -- very slow computer this a.m. prevented my editing out the beginning of a related but different thought in previous post.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... It is certainly fair to infer that, but that is not necessarily what people who display it are trying to communicate. ... Yes, cognitive dissonance may be going on, but they would say they love their country but protest the government.

The current popularity of that flag dates from the civil rights era. That was when the federal government was saying black people have the right to vote and go to school just like anyone else. The response in the South was to raise that flag again. It's pretty clear what they were "protesting" about. It's not cognitive dissonance, it's a dog whistle, and they know exactly what it means. They just know not to say it in polite company.
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Once more with feeling: the rebel rag is not a gracious-heritage-grits-'n'-gravy-nostalgic-Southern-charm-coconut-cake flag.

Illustrated version of alternate interpretation here.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
... It is certainly fair to infer that, but that is not necessarily what people who display it are trying to communicate. ... Yes, cognitive dissonance may be going on, but they would say they love their country but protest the government.

The current popularity of that flag dates from the civil rights era. That was when the federal government was saying black people have the right to vote and go to school just like anyone else. The response in the South was to raise that flag again. It's pretty clear what they were "protesting" about. It's not cognitive dissonance, it's a dog whistle, and they know exactly what it means. They just know not to say it in polite company.
You know what it means to you when you see it but you don't know what it means to a particular person who is flying it. That pretty much sums up why I fly no flag and have no bumper stickers.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

So what you are saying, Mere Nick, is that they might not be racist, but simply ignorant and stupid?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
So what you are saying, Mere Nick, is that they might not be racist, but simply ignorant and stupid?

All that can be known by seeing someone flying a flag is that they are flying a flag.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

eta: If you want to know why they are flying a flag you'd probably need to ask.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

How many conclusions can there be?
They don't care what it means or they don't know.
If they don't know, they are ignorant at the very least.
I would argue stupid as well, given the level of controversy.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
How many conclusions can there be?

How many people can there be?

quote:
They don't care what it means or they don't know. If they don't know, they are ignorant at the very least.
They probably know what it means to them. They probably don't care what you think.

quote:
I would argue stupid as well, given the level of controversy.
Argue all you want to. Have fun.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All that can be known by seeing someone flying a flag is that they are flying a flag.

eta: If you want to know why they are flying a flag you'd probably need to ask.

This level of semiotic humpty-dumptyism seems obtuse to the point that it can only be deliberate. The whole point of flags is that they are symbolic representations. Someone may claim they're flying this flag to indicate their support of the Kingdom of Norway but the rest of us don't have to take that absurdity at face value.

Despite your assertion that the symbolism of flags is impenetrable, other people don't seem to have any difficulty in distinguishing between different flags. How did they manage to do that, do you suppose? Who can tell which flag means "North Korea" while another means "South Korea"? A truly impenetrable mystery! And what's with all those red octagons on street corners? Sure, someone may have intended them to mean something when they put them there, but who can really know without hunting them down and asking them?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Sure, someone may have intended them to mean something when they put them there, but who can really know without hunting them down and asking them?

Exactly. What I'm seeing here on the SOF is people saying what a symbol means to them and figuring that MUST be what it means to everyone else. If simply maintaining a smug condescension is insufficient to someone and they also want understanding, then I would recommend asking the one using the symbol what they mean.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
And what's with all those red octagons on street corners? Sure, someone may have intended them to mean something when they put them there, but who can really know without hunting them down and asking them?

Exactly. What I'm seeing here on the SOF is people saying what a symbol means to them and figuring that MUST be what it means to everyone else. If simply maintaining a smug condescension is insufficient to someone and they also want understanding, then I would recommend asking the one using the symbol what they mean.
I'm hoping you don't actually operate a motor vehicle. Or that your claimed bafflement about the allegedly arbitrary meaning of stop signs is a pretense.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
I'm hoping you don't actually operate a motor vehicle. Or that your claimed bafflement about the allegedly arbitrary meaning of stop signs is a pretense.

That's not a good analogy. When one is seeking a drivers license one will be tested on what a red octagonal sign with the big word "STOP" on it means in the minds of the ones who hang the sign at an intersection. If I came to your house and you had it hanging on your den wall then, no, I wouldn't know what it means without you telling me. Until then, about the most I could assume is that you think it looks cool on your wall for some reason.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

That's not a good analogy. When one is seeking a drivers license one will be tested on what a red octagonal sign with the big word "STOP" on it means in the minds of the ones who hang the sign at an intersection.
It's a valid analogy if you're arguing, as you have, that there's no way to know the meaning of symbols without interrogating their users. How can you be certain that the person who installed the stop sign on the corner of 4th and Elm really wants motor vehicles to stop at that intersection? Maybe whoever put it up was just expressing their love of octagons! And even if the stop sign at 4th and Elm really does mean "stop", you can't extrapolate to think that whoever put up another stop sign three blocks down at 7th and Elm means the same thing. I mean sure, the stop sign has a history and well-recognized meaning, but there's no way to know what it means to the particular person who put it up.

quote:
If I came to your house and you had it hanging on your den wall then, no, I wouldn't know what it means without you telling me.

Yes, something like this would be an impenetrable conundrum. It's not at an intersection or anywhere one could use a motor vehicle. I wonder what in the world is being communicated here? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you really desperate enough to argue what I'm hearing here ? That the existence of a symbol whose meaning everyone understands disproves the possibility of a symbol that means different things to different people ?

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Are you really desperate enough to argue what I'm hearing here ? That the existence of a symbol whose meaning everyone understands disproves the possibility of a symbol that means different things to different people ?

No, just that that meaning is so horrendous that to imply any other meaning could outweigh it is ridiculous. Like flying this and saying you only do it to remind you of your father's patriotic service.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Are you really desperate enough to argue what I'm hearing here? That the existence of a symbol whose meaning everyone understands disproves the possibility of a symbol that means different things to different people?

Something a little more basic. Mere Nick denies that it's possible for "a symbol whose meaning everyone understands" to exist. I'm pointing out a fairly obvious example to the contrary.

While there may be some ambiguity about certain symbols, there are definite limits to that ambiguity. This sign does not mean "free coffee". This is not the flag of Norway. And this flag lacks any non-racist interpretation.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
It's a valid analogy if you're arguing that there's no way to know the meaning of symbols without interrogating their users.
How can you be certain that the person who installed the stop sign on the corner of 4th and Elm really wants motor vehicles to stop at that intersection?

Because in the traffic rules issued to us by the same ones who hang the sign they tell us what the sign means.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While there may be some ambiguity about certain symbols, there are definite limits to that ambiguity...
.. this flag lacks any non-racist interpretation.

Seems to me that it is the white hood in that picture that is the unambiguous symbol of racism.

You are deliberately showing this picture in order to associate the two symbols. Which action gives the lie to your assertion. If what you are saying were true, it wouldn't make any difference whether the man wears a white sheet or not.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Mere Nick denies that it's possible for "a symbol whose meaning everyone understands" to exist.

No I don't. Quite the opposite. There are some symbols that everyone understands the same. There are some symbols that people understand differently.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
While there may be some ambiguity about certain symbols, there are definite limits to that ambiguity...

Seems to me that it is the white hood in that picture that is the unambiguous symbol of racism.

You are deliberately showing this picture in order to associate the two symbols. Which action gives the lie to your assertion. If what you are saying were true, it wouldn't make any difference whether the man wears a white sheet or not.

Best wishes,

Russ

Well, we could look at HK Edgerton of my town and realize it means different things to these two men.

That's the things about flags. They usually don't come with instructions telling us what they mean like, say, a stop sign.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

And there are women who support FGM and there were Jewish Nazis. One outlier does not make a point.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Hardly unambiguous! Maybe he's just a bedsheet fetishist. Or a burn victim who needs to wear loose-fitting clothes and is self-conscious about his facial scarring. There's no real way to know without asking him, right? [Roll Eyes]

Besides, even if the hooded gentleman is a member of the Ku Klux Klan, they'll tell you themselves that they're not racist. It's about heritage, not hate. As Mere Nick points out, just because you draw conclusions about the meaning of a pointy hood and robe doesn't mean the Klansman inside agrees with them. And that means it can mean anything at all!

quote:

Yes I am doing it deliberately. Because if, as Mere Nick asserts, it's impossible to know why the man in the photo is wearing a white robe with a pointed hood without asking him, it really shouldn't affect his argument and the juxtaposition should be unobjectionable. I'll take the subsequent squawking from the both of you as just so much special pleading along the lines of "my preferred symbol of white supremacy is unobjectionable and meaningless, so how dare you put it next to that guy's symbol of white supremacy".

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
"my preferred symbol of white supremacy is unobjectionable and meaningless, so how dare you put it next to that guy's symbol of white supremacy".

Come to my home and show me my symbols of white supremacy.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Which is to say they are traitors. Flying the flag of those who fought against the country.

I fly the flags of other countries, including flags of countries the U.S. has been at war with—or declared independence from—and historical flags at my house all the time. It hardly means I am a traitor or owe allegiance to any other country.

And before anyone asks, I would never fly a Confederate flag, my UDC forebears notwithstanding. I am well aware of what the flag rightfully means to most people, including me, and I would never want to be associated with that or offend anyone by flying it.

quote:

I know quite well the history of the current popularity, having witnesses much of it first-hand. For many people, it is a dog-whistle. But I know people for whom it is indeed cognitive dissonance—including the handful of African Americans I have known of who sometimes fly a Confederate flag. Weird but true.

My beef with the post above was the word "explicitly"—that people who are flying the Confederate flag are "explicitly" saying that the country can be divided and one-half should have slavery. "Explicitly" means that it what they unequivocally intend to say, which may or may not be true. As I said, it certainly may be fair to draw the conclusion that is what they think, but that doesn't mean that's what they intended to say.

quote:

Insensitive and self-centered (as in "you can' tell me what this flag means to me") are other options.

And they still might be racists, too. That doesn't automatically mean that racism is their motive for displaying the flag.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
I fly the flags of other countries, including flags of countries the U.S. has been at war with—or declared independence from—and historical flags at my house all the time.

What do you get out of doing that, Nick? Are you a flag collector, or something? Is that just how you like to look at them?

quote:
And before anyone asks, I would never fly a Confederate flag, my UDC forebears notwithstanding. I am well aware of what the flag rightfully means to most people, including me, and I would never want to be associated with that or offend anyone by flying it.
If you are east of Mayberry, I take it you live here in NC. Do you actually see the cbf very often where you live? We live in Asheville and I might see it 3 or 4 times a year, if that much, usually flown from a vehicle.

quote:
But I know people for whom it is indeed cognitive dissonance—including the handful of African Americans I have known of who sometimes fly a Confederate flag. Weird but true.
If I hear that someone is standing somewhere holding the flag around here, it's a pretty safe bet it is HK Edgerton, former president of the Asheville chapter of the NAACP. I don't really get it, but it's his time and his flag.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
Maybe he's just a bedsheet fetishist. Or a burn victim who needs to wear loose-fitting clothes and is self-conscious about his facial scarring. There's no real way to know without asking him, right? [Roll Eyes]

Those are possibilities unrelated to the conventional meaning of the symbol. Other possibilities are that he is deliberately intending that meaning ironically or satirically. Or with some notion of "reclaiming" the symbol to re-associate it with some meaning less obnoxious.

Seems to me technically quite correct to say that we don't know without asking him. But reasonable to take as an initial working hypothesis the most obvious interpretation, that he intends to assert the conventional white-supremacy meaning of the symbol. Pending further information...

quote:
Besides, even if the hooded gentleman is a member of the Ku Klux Klan, they'll tell you themselves that it's about heritage, not hate.
That would explain why he's been photographed waving a Confederate flag - it's a symbol of southern heritage.

If he'd worn a Confederate grey uniform to wave the flag, I'd take him instead for some sort of historical re-enactor. A history buff, or perhaps just an actor paid by the local tourist board to encourage visitors to come to a historic location by playing up the history.

quote:
the juxtaposition should be unobjectionable.
I'm not objecting to him dressing in bed sheets or waving a symbol of his southern heritage.

My objection is only to the arrogance of those who think that their perceived meaning of the symbol is the "correct" meaning and that those "ignorant" of that "fact" need to be "educated" to think as they do. Symbols can and do mean different things to different people.

If you want to suggest that it might be prudent for public bodies to refrain from displaying symbols which have wildly different meanings to different people without giving a clear explanation of what the body concerned means by that symbol, then that sounds a reasonable suggestion. If it can be done without encouraging the arrogance of the self-appointed symbol-interpreters...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Maybe he's just a bedsheet fetishist. Or a burn victim who needs to wear loose-fitting clothes and is self-conscious about his facial scarring. There's no real way to know without asking him, right? [Roll Eyes]

Those are possibilities unrelated to the conventional meaning of the symbol. Other possibilities are that he is deliberately intending that meaning ironically or satirically. Or with some notion of "reclaiming" the symbol to re-associate it with some meaning less obnoxious.

Seems to me technically quite correct to say that we don't know without asking him. But reasonable to take as an initial working hypothesis the most obvious interpretation, that he intends to assert the conventional white-supremacy meaning of the symbol. Pending further information...

<snip>

My objection is only to the arrogance of those who think that their perceived meaning of the symbol is the "correct" meaning and that those "ignorant" of that "fact" need to be "educated" to think as they do. Symbols can and do mean different things to different people.

If you want to suggest that it might be prudent for public bodies to refrain from displaying symbols which have wildly different meanings to different people without giving a clear explanation of what the body concerned means by that symbol, then that sounds a reasonable suggestion. If it can be done without encouraging the arrogance of the self-appointed symbol-interpreters...

How arrogant! Asserting that there is a single "conventional white-supremacy meaning" of the Klan hood and robes. What happened to objecting to "the arrogance of those who think that their perceived meaning of the symbol is the 'correct' meaning"? Your objection seems very selective.

quote:
quote:
Besides, even if the hooded gentleman is a member of the Ku Klux Klan, they'll tell you themselves that it's about heritage, not hate.
If he'd worn a Confederate grey uniform to wave the flag, I'd take him instead for some sort of historical re-enactor. A history buff, or perhaps just an actor paid by the local tourist board to encourage visitors to come to a historic location by playing up the history.
This seems like it could go equally well for anyone in Klan robes, a noted historical organization whose earliest members were primarily the same guys wearing Confederate grey uniforms just a few years before and who considered themselves to be continuing the same fight on a new front.

Seriously, why doesn't the Klan get the same whitewash (if you'll pardon the term) as the Confederacy?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Alternatively, ask yourself this:

It's Halloween, and you're attending a costume party. You've procrastinated, though, and when you turn up at your local rental-costume place, here's all they have left:

1. Klan getup
2. Confederate solder getup
3. Nazi soldier getup

Question 1: why have these all been left unrented?

Question 2: Which do you choose, and why?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016