homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Andrew, Justin and George (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Andrew, Justin and George
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But to show you the Son of Man has power on earth to condemn killing, he said to the paralytic,

Matthew 26:52 “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.”

Matthew 5:44 “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”

Matthew 5:21-22 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.”

Matthew 5:38-39 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Evangelical' is probably unfair, since there are certainly evangelical pacifists and evangelicals committed to spiritual and other kinds of poverty. But why is it that the most prominent Christian pacifists I know are Catholic (Pax Christi)?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
He may have. How would the angels have protected the woman? Scripture suggests by some form of violence most likely involving fire.

Yet Jesus rebukes James and John for wanting to call down fire on the unrepentant towns. Upthread I referred to the Son to using a different (and higher) way to OT methods of divine justice. (I don't think that puts me in Club Marcion, but come on - there is a different tone and higher teaching introduced with the New Covenant).

Maybe the angels would have thrown a protective shield around her. (Oh boy - how very Harry Potter! But a similar thing seems to have happened when an angry crowd wanted to push Jesus over a cliff and He just walks calmly through them.)

Jesus came to offer salvation to the world but constantly warns that those who fail to accept the offer will be judged harshly. I don't rule out universal salvation and in fact hope and pray for the salvation of all but there is precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts. Annihilationism has more support from scripture, IMO.

That said. What does that have to do with the use of violence in defense of others? The cities that refused to repent weren't threatening anybody with immediate violence. Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts.

The irony! The irony! It burns!

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the question of whether the Old Testament revealed a vengeful God, and the New Testament revealed God's compassion (or however you want to express the contrast) is best answered with reference to those who only have the Old Testament - I mean of course the Jews ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts.

The irony! The irony! It burns!
No, I've repeatedly said scripture taken as a whole. I've yet to see anybody arguing for pacifism engage with the significant amount of scripture that contradicts the claim. Doing so means accepting Marcionism as orthodoxy and even then you have to ignore large portions of scripture.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Laurelin - so Jesus' condemnation of killing is just to be ignored?

I could probably choose to be a pacifist for my own sake. I think I would find it an impossible position to take on behalf of others. That doesn't mean I think Jesus is OK with us killing people.

quote:
You either obey Jesus or you don't, surely?
As if any of us find that easy. This is why one of my heroes is Bonhoeffer - his life and death illustrate these kinds of moral complexities. A man who felt led to try to kill Hitler. Sums up the dilemma well.

quote:
Us not funding the arms industry would be a nice start.
Fine by me!

quote:
Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

Of course not, which I'm sure you know. [Smile]

I believe He would have stopped the men from stoning the woman, and would have done so. Heck - He did so!

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

Where does Jesus contradict John? Why would Luke who was trying to establish John as the forerunner of Jesus mention a teaching of John diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught? Was John a false prophet? The church does not recognize John as a false prophet. Marcion on the other hand...

[ 04. August 2015, 19:48: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, I've repeatedly said scripture taken as a whole. I've yet to see anybody arguing for pacifism engage with the significant amount of scripture that contradicts the claim. Doing so means accepting Marcionism as orthodoxy and even then you have to ignore large portions of scripture.

Surely the texts quoted by mousethief upthread present a pretty powerful case against killing ... words directly from the Master Himself. [Confused] Taking Scripture as a whole surely also means regarding Jesus' interpretation of the Torah as definitive.

I take the Bible's teaching on judgment seriously. That doesn't mean I literally see Jesus as a killer.

I respect pacifists, and I think they have a genuine biblical case to make.

I just can't be one myself.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:
Laurelin - so Jesus' condemnation of killing is just to be ignored?

I could probably choose to be a pacifist for my own sake. I think I would find it an impossible position to take on behalf of others. That doesn't mean I think Jesus is OK with us killing people.

quote:
You either obey Jesus or you don't, surely?
As if any of us find that easy. This is why one of my heroes is Bonhoeffer - his life and death illustrate these kinds of moral complexities. A man who felt led to try to kill Hitler. Sums up the dilemma well.

quote:
Us not funding the arms industry would be a nice start.
Fine by me!

quote:
Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

Of course not, which I'm sure you know. [Smile]

I believe He would have stopped the men from stoning the woman, and would have done so. Heck - He did so!

I understand that it is difficult and that things are complex....but then you get into 'did God really say to do that' territory. I mean, I can admire Bonhoeffer and still think it was wrong for him to try to kill Hitler. I just find it a bit puzzling that the command to not kill is brushed aside like that - not saying you're brushing it aside, but that the articles in the opening post seem to be (and other Christian non-pacifists do). I can understand accepting war as the better of two evils, but that does mean accepting it as an evil and not calling it a just war. It's never just, it can only be less unjust.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Which one of Mousthiefs proof texts address use of violence by a ruler against those doing evil? All of his texts from Matthew deal with revenge, murder, and hatred in interpersonal relationships. Again, Jesus on multiple occasions uses rulers using violence to describe the kingdom of heaven and never implies the violence in the OT was wrong. Paul confirms that in Romans 12. Add to that John's command to the soldiers and the case for pacifism from scripture crumbles.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What impresses me is how long you will fight this losing battle. Lost for two thousand years actually. Till you die. Long after I do. You and IngoB. But love wins mate. Even though it won't, can't for two hundred thousand. There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook. When ...

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
I understand that it is difficult and that things are complex....but then you get into 'did God really say to do that' territory.

The 'did God really say?' challenge applies to quite a few things.

I'm not sure I think Bonhoeffer was correct to join in the assassination plot either. It doesn't lessen my admiration for him though.

quote:
I can understand accepting war as the better of two evils, but that does mean accepting it as an evil and not calling it a just war. It's never just, it can only be less unjust.
I've said nowhere in this thread that I support the idea of a 'just war', I'm not sure I believe there is such a thing. Even regarding WW2, which is perhaps the only war I find morally justifiable, because of the huge threat that the Reich represented. My position is that war is regrettably sometimes a necessary evil ... and I can think of at least one Dead Horse issue which would also fall into that category.

quote:
Which one of Mousthiefs proof texts address use of violence by a ruler against those doing evil? All of his texts from Matthew deal with revenge, murder, and hatred in interpersonal relationships. Again, Jesus on multiple occasions uses rulers using violence to describe the kingdom of heaven and never implies the violence in the OT was wrong. Paul confirms that in Romans 12. Add to that John's command to the soldiers and the case for pacifism from scripture crumbles.

I'm having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.
(John's command to the soldiers? Sorry, I don't get the reference ...)

I see the actions of the state as totally separate from the kingdom of God. Perhaps I'm straying into Luther's concept of the two kingdoms here. I do see the state as being subject to the sovereignty of God, which is why I can read Romans 13 and not blow a gasket. [Biased] And it's why I don't think that it's wrong for Christians to serve in the army, or in counter-intelligence.

But I do NOT see the state as being synonymous with God's rule. (Especially as the state can be, and often is, anti-God.)

The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich. Poland had been invaded, people were suffering, a whole programme of genocide was about to be unleashed. The aggressor puts everyone in a difficult position.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Bonhoeffer was wrong. And he knew it. I'm not fit to cut the piano wire from around his neck and wipe the piss and shit and cum from his naked body. Jesus will. Before introducing him to his torturers and Hitler.

As for the Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto, I look forward to toasting their courage in the Resurrection. As I'm sure the overwhelmingly Christian Waffen SS will. And Hitler again.

--------------------
Love wins

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
What impresses me is how long you will fight this losing battle. Lost for two thousand years actually. Till you die. Long after I do. You and IngoB. But love wins mate. Even though it won't, can't for two hundred thousand. There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook. When ...

Do you honestly believe that the human race will ever lose its war gene? You might as well tell people to stop arguing on a messageboard. [Biased]

The only way to eliminate the violence within us is through spiritual regeneration, and I'm not convinced that everybody actually wants this. I'm not convinced that everybody wants to be on board with the peaceful, better way of Jesus. There will be groups like IS for as long as the human race is around.

quote:
As I'm sure the overwhelmingly Christian Waffen SS will. And Hitler again.

All I can say is that your religious fantasies differ from mine. I share Beeswax's hope of universal salvation but I'm not sure that it's guaranteed, especially for people who are unrepentant: Scripture rather indicates otherwise. We're back to Pomona's 'Did God really say?' again.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Sorry Laurelin - I meant the articles linked talking about a just war, not you.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is some question whether Bonhoeffer really was involved in the plot, I understand - but I don't understand why so many of you think he was wrong to try to assassinate Hitler (if he actually did).

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin. We can all do it. In hindsight. Having lived long enough to learn through suffering, especially the suffering of others. Without it we wouldn't be human. We'll ALWAYS have it. The evolution is of our collective consciousness, and no, NOT in the Jungian sense. In the sense of mastering, transcending, co-operating with and in and over our unenlightened fear responses.

Like primitive, reptile brain, legalistic, literalist, damnationism of ANY and every kind.

Love wins is another way of saying Jesus saves, a tautology I know. That the evolution of consciousness we see throughout the Bible, catalysed exponentially in Christ, continues. It can't not. In the Spirit poured out on ALL flesh.

Jesus SAVES. Not in some magic spell we cast in this evanescent blink of weakness and ignorance. He will yet save the Jews and SS of Warsaw, Bonhoeffer and IS, our fully human ancestors of two hundred thousand years and sapient cousins of four hundred thousand. Two hundred billion and counting.

If He can't, then He's no saviour. He's worse than useless. Except for the tiny fraction of humanity 'lucky' enough to be terrified in to saying the sinner's prayer as fire insurance.

Jesus. If He is the murderer of the Amalekites, I can't know Him.

No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.

When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.

Jesus will save them too. In the Resurrection. From their ignorance and weakness. From fear narratives.

Jesus SAVES.

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
There is some question whether Bonhoeffer really was involved in the plot, I understand - but I don't understand why so many of you think he was wrong to try to assassinate Hitler (if he actually did).

There's this little verse here.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh right. It is a theological position held by people who think war is OK but assassination of the instigator of the holocaust is not. Riiight.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laurelin

You posted recently that scripture has a trajectory. A somewhat meandering one, no doubt. But I think it is possible to argue that the journey from killing enemies to loving enemies reveals a growing and changing human understanding of God. From tribal God above all Gods to the One God and Father of us all.

I'm not sure if the trajectory understanding is an acceptable view of revelation in scripture as Catholics see it. Nor is it the traditional evangelical view. As it happens, it's my view. I think Marcion was wrong to see two Gods, of course, but we've always tended to argue that what was hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT. So I think trajectory understandings are reasonable consistent both with the content of scripture and earlier understandings as well.

The tensions over pacifism tend to reveal these underlying differences over trajectory. As I understand him, Martin60 sees the ultimate end of this trajectory, that God will be all in all, as a command to eschew all violence today.

I think these are also different responses to the underlying dilemma of the human tendency to violence. The kingdom is both now, and not yet. So we differ over the outworking of "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven'. Ends and means?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Oh right. It is a theological position held by people who think war is OK but assassination of the instigator of the holocaust is not. Riiight.

Whom are you sarcasting here? I never suggested war is OK. I disagree with just war theory for the same reason I think assassinating anybody is sinful. However I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Whom are you sarcasting here? I never suggested war is OK. I disagree with just war theory for the same reason I think assassinating anybody is sinful. However I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

That's fair. I wasn't "sarcasting" you, but the attitude which (maybe) exists above your comment that war is fine but assassination of Hitler is not, based on a bible verse.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Au contraire mousethief. That takes us to the question's bleading edge.

--------------------
Love wins

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

Barnabas62 – thanks, great post. [Smile] You and I seem to be on the same page. Yes, I do think there is a trajectory. Definitely.

quote:
Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin.

Please don't presume to tell me what I am, or am not, repressing. Thanks.

quote:
No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.
I get you. But then you lose me with this:

quote:
When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.
IS and the SS are not fecklessly innocent. [Mad] I can't stand this kind of moral flat-lining. We don't have to fall into the trap of demonising or 'othering' people whilst still finding their crimes abhorrent. (And why is it all up to Andrew, Justin and George? They're not the only voices around.)

quote:
...I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

No, I don’t think it’s taking us far afield. I agree with Martin that this is on point and pretty much at the heart of the matter.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it does, Martin60.

There is an understanding that martyrdom is a calling. One to which not everyone is called.

For all those in Rome who were martyred, there were others, who worshiped in secret, found ways of co-existing with the oppression all around them, and also helped to keep the flame alive. It seems likely that some of them were soldiers, some slaves.

It seems to me wrong to draw distinctions about who found the better way. We weren't in their shoes.

From the immortal line in "A Man for all Seasons", we are all called to serve the Lord wittily, in the tangle of our minds. If those tangled minds come up with different answers sometimes, that isn't surprising. As mousethief, accurately, observed, life can get pretty tangled sometimes.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

PS

I think the "survival" principle is nicely illustrated by this, from 2 Kings 5, re Naamon the healed leper and army commander.

quote:
18 But may the Lord forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I have to bow there also—when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the Lord forgive your servant for this.”

19 “Go in peace,” Elisha said.

I like that "go in peace" very much. Naamon needed to work out his own tangle, somehow. As do we all.

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Laurelin

You posted recently that scripture has a trajectory. A somewhat meandering one, no doubt. But I think it is possible to argue that the journey from killing enemies to loving enemies reveals a growing and changing human understanding of God. From tribal God above all Gods to the One God and Father of us all.

I'm not sure if the trajectory understanding is an acceptable view of revelation in scripture as Catholics see it. Nor is it the traditional evangelical view. As it happens, it's my view. I think Marcion was wrong to see two Gods, of course, but we've always tended to argue that what was hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT. So I think trajectory understandings are reasonable consistent both with the content of scripture and earlier understandings as well.

The tensions over pacifism tend to reveal these underlying differences over trajectory. As I understand him, Martin60 sees the ultimate end of this trajectory, that God will be all in all, as a command to eschew all violence today.

I think these are also different responses to the underlying dilemma of the human tendency to violence. The kingdom is both now, and not yet. So we differ over the outworking of "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven'. Ends and means?

Good one Barnabus. In my experience making some sort of sense of this trajectory is a very long journey and it throws up all sorts of further questions.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I didn't say it would stop them. I said it was following the example of Christ.

No, it wouldn't be. If there was an IS caliphate, and you were a dhimmi subject in it, then Christ's actions in the gospel might provide a direct pattern for yours. But that's not the situation you find yourself in.

quote:
Right, but surely the point is that if we can't discount the actions of IS as inherently ungodly (i.e. God wouldn't ask people to do shit like that, because that's nasty and God isn't), then what standard can we use to measure the IS claim that they are working for the deity? Doesn't that take out one simple plank?

The only sure counter for the faith that one works for God is an opposing faith that one does not. It is ultimately impossible to argue this, just as it is impossible to argue with solipsism. It's a closed system.

However, I do believe that we can see what improves human flourishing, by observing human life - and violence and war generally do not help. They are, at best, "therapeutic" in the sense of removing a greater evil. At worst, they ruin the lives of everybody, including of the supposed victors. And in between we find the majority of cases, where the lot of one group of people is improved at the expense of another group. Now, I believe a coherent religious view of God has to take this into account, i.e., how humans flourish in an everyday, average sense cannot be independent of God's will. But this limits how much violence and war one can possibly attribute to God's will, if God is to be coherent.

In summary, I believe that one can reasonably argue that attributing violence and war to God has to be a special and rare occasion, and furthermore, that such violence and war has to point to some goal beyond itself (cannot be a good just in and by itself). Otherwise this becomes incoherent with the will of God we see at work in people's everyday lives.

Now, I'm not familiar enough with the ideological claims of IS to say whether they would satisfy these conditions. If not, then I think one can validly argue against their faith. But if they do, then I indeed think that moral accusations against them are basically pointless. An exceptional mission from God cannot be logically blocked by everyday rules from God. Then it really boils down to faith vs. faith, i.e., it's the fact that I think their prophet is false, and on top of that, that their interpretation of their prophet's teaching is likely also false, which allows me to reject their claim to have an exceptional mission from God. This however leaves the realm of reasoned argument, and basically sets will against will.

quote:
Please illustrate how wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have achieved aims by the Western powers that 'won' them.

The war in Afghanistan pushed back the Russian sphere of influence in this area, and the war in Iraq secured further access to the oil of that region (directly, and by showing the surrounding countries who is boss). These obvious goals of the Western powers were achieved, whether one considers the price to be paid for them to be too high or not.

quote:
ISTM that modern wars have absolutely never achieved the aims of protecting the innocent, because modern warfare is unable to do that.

Possibly, but this need not be the actual goal of a modern war. Politicians, it turns out, cannot always be trusted in what they say about their aims. As far as just wars are concerned, it is not a condition for their justice that all innocents will be protected, merely that lesser evil will result.

quote:
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

It wasn't the 2nd Person of the Trinity as human being, that's correct. But on orthodox principles it sure as heck was the 2nd Person of the Trinity as much as the other two members, and it sure as heck was the very same 2nd Person of the Trinity which as human being you happen to call Jesus. To set Jesus apart from the OT violence commanded or indeed carried out directly by God makes just about as much sense as saying "it wasn't me who hit you, it was my fist". To get away with this nonsensical separation is possible in one way, and one way only, and that's why you are a committed member of Club Marcion.

quote:
I just find it a bit puzzling that the command to not kill is brushed aside like that - not saying you're brushing it aside, but that the articles in the opening post seem to be (and other Christian non-pacifists do).

There is no command to "not kill" in the Judaeo-Christian tradition. What is forbidden is unlawful and/or immoral killing, i.e., what is commonly called "murder". A better translation of the commandment is hence "Thou shalt not murder", and yes, that is well within the range of meaning of the Hebrew word. Think about it, quite apart from incessant warfare, the Jews were stoning people to death. Do you really think that the Scribes and Pharisees considered that to be at odds with God's explicit commandment? And they weren't exactly sloppy with scripture.

quote:
There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook.

There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as a conversation starter for the decisions that they will make themselves by their own lights. They were there from the very beginning, and their delightful conversation is always helpfully enlightened by the Angel of Light.

quote:
I've said nowhere in this thread that I support the idea of a 'just war', I'm not sure I believe there is such a thing. ... My position is that war is regrettably sometimes a necessary evil ...

Have you ever bothered finding out what the actual definition of a "just war" happens to be in Christian tradition? It pretty much is that of an unwanted but necessary evil:
  • the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
  • all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
  • there must be serious prospects of success; and
  • the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated.
It is not "just" in the sense of something to strive for, it is "just" in the sense of not being strictly forbidden by faith and morals!

quote:
The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich.

That doesn't make any sense. If a group of human beings were right in waging war against the Nazis, then the fully human being Jesus Christ obviously would pick the side of that group of human beings. What do you think Jesus would be doing? Would He be saying: "Oh sorry, I'm too Divine to be bothered with such ugly nitty-gritty of human existence. You do what you mere humans think is right. Get back to me when you are done, and we will get back to more Divine matters." That's ... well, I'm not sure what that is. Gnostic, perhaps.

quote:
There's this little verse here.

And the killing of a mass murdering tyrant is evil according to what Christian scripture or doctrine, please?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The indenting is counter-intuitive, how we get round that I have no idea. It would be simpler if I just indented with ellipses.
quote:

quote:
Martin60: Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin.
Laurelin: Please don't presume to tell me what I am, or am not, repressing. Thanks.

That was a complement thanks. And that's passive aggression in response to yours. Thanks. [Biased] That we need to fully EXpress. With a higher narrative. To be able to work through our war gene expression.
quote:

quote:
Martin: No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.
Laurelin: I get you. But then you lose me with this:
quote:
Martin: When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.
Laurelin: IS and the SS are not fecklessly innocent. [Mad]

We ALL are. All. IN our fecklessness, we are innocent. We have been for at least two hundred thousand years.
quote:
Laurelin: I can't stand this kind of moral flat-lining.
I mean the other kind.
quote:
Laurelin: We don't have to fall into the trap of demonising or 'othering' people whilst still finding their crimes abhorrent.
Absolutely.
quote:
Laurelin: (And why is it all up to Andrew, Justin and George? They're not the only voices around.)
They are regarded as leaders. Christian leaders.

quote:
quote:
...I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils.
Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not.
Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way.
But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

No, I don’t think it’s taking us far afield. I agree with Martin that this is on point and pretty much at the heart of the matter.
I have to posit disagreement with mousethief there.
Bonhoeffer utterly understandably, heroically acted on his own recognizance.
He went beyond what is known in Christ.
It could be said he regressed.
The military do.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62: I think it does, Martin60.

There is an understanding that martyrdom is a calling. One to which not everyone is called. [/QB]

Not mine. Understanding or calling. Until the moment it happens.

quote:
Barnabas62: For all those in Rome who were martyred, there were others, who worshiped in secret, found ways of co-existing with the oppression all around them, and also helped to keep the flame alive.
It seems likely that some of them were soldiers, some slaves.

Of course. And there were some who co-existed without keeping the subversive flame alive.

quote:
Barnabas62: It seems to me wrong to draw distinctions about who found the better way. We weren't in their shoes.
Absolutely. Who'd dream of doing that?

quote:
Barnabas62: From the immortal line in "A Man for all Seasons", we are all called to serve the Lord wittily, in the tangle of our minds.
If those tangled minds come up with different answers sometimes, that isn't surprising.
As mousethief, accurately, observed, life can get pretty tangled sometimes.

Mine certainly is. So are Andrew's, Justin's and George's.

And IngoB, it was JTB, who, like Mary, isn't a member of the Trinity.

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
I didn't say it would stop them. I said it was following the example of Christ.

No, it wouldn't be. If there was an IS caliphate, and you were a dhimmi subject in it, then Christ's actions in the gospel might provide a direct pattern for yours. But that's not the situation you find yourself in.
Then we disagree fundamentally. At best, we agree on the basis of scripture, and disagree on the basis of the Holy Spirit. But the disagreement is still there.

So - how many men, women and children would you kill to stop an idea like IS? You don't have to give an exact number - a rough estimate will do. Also, how many lives are you willing to sacrifice to accomplish the task? Your own? Your children's?

This is not an abstract conversation. Figures would be useful.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pomona:
The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich.

IngoB, I said that, not Pomona. And I don't mean that Jesus would look askance at people who fight other people who are hellbent on genocide. I still wouldn't want to claim the Jesus stamp of approval for, say, Dresden.

quote:
And the killing of a mass murdering tyrant is evil according to what Christian scripture or doctrine, please?
This wasn't addresssed to me, but having wavered like a weather vane in this thread, I am not sure that it would be evil. Which leads me back to Bonhoeffer ...

quote:
We ALL are. All. IN our fecklessness, we are innocent. We have been for at least two hundred thousand years.

We are not innocent when we knowingly do wrong and horrible things. That doesn't make any of us potentially beyond redemption, but it does mean that we act like adults and face up to the darkness within. To say that IS and their ilk are 'fecklessly innocent' is offensive. No, they are not.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that He would not and should not be co-opted into our various pathologies does not mean that He is not, every single day of the year. Of the persons running for the GOP presidential nomination, I believe that more than half claim that God Himself told them to run. The inconsistency of this doesn't slow a one of them down for a moment.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

However, I do believe that we can see what improves human flourishing, by observing human life - and violence and war generally do not help. They are, at best, "therapeutic" in the sense of removing a greater evil. At worst, they ruin the lives of everybody, including of the supposed victors. And in between we find the majority of cases, where the lot of one group of people is improved at the expense of another group. Now, I believe a coherent religious view of God has to take this into account, i.e., how humans flourish in an everyday, average sense cannot be independent of God's will. But this limits how much violence and war one can possibly attribute to God's will, if God is to be coherent.

In summary, I believe that one can reasonably argue that attributing violence and war to God has to be a special and rare occasion, and furthermore, that such violence and war has to point to some goal beyond itself (cannot be a good just in and by itself). Otherwise this becomes incoherent with the will of God we see at work in people's everyday lives.

Now, I'm not familiar enough with the ideological claims of IS to say whether they would satisfy these conditions. If not, then I think one can validly argue against their faith. But if they do, then I indeed think that moral accusations against them are basically pointless. An exceptional mission from God cannot be logically blocked by everyday rules from God. Then it really boils down to faith vs. faith, i.e., it's the fact that I think their prophet is false, and on top of that, that their interpretation of their prophet's teaching is likely also false, which allows me to reject their claim to have an exceptional mission from God. This however leaves the realm of reasoned argument, and basically sets will against will.

I prefer to know them by their fruit. Those who use the tools of violence recklessly and non-discriminately have nothing to do with the God of love. If we think that these, or the Crusades or Gideon or anyone else who uses a God-claim to commit genocide is godly, we're wrong.

Furthermore, being prepared to use violence to overthrow a state that has a different view to you on a subject (and who refuses to kowtow to your relgious objection) as you've stated in another thread is pretty dangerous, in my opinion.

quote:
That's tyrannical - and as for every tyrant, it is then just to resist you and remove you from power, if necessary by force.
And that doesn't even appear to be a verbal flourish, you really do seem to believe that abortion might justify violence.

link to thread

[ 05. August 2015, 14:02: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
originally posted by Laurelin:
m having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.

I don't know why. Jesus makes it clear on several occasions that the Jews were God's chosen people. Why not expect God to favor Israel over their neighbors in the brutal fight for cultural survival that existed in the ancient world. The Hittites once ruled a vast empire. When was the last known sacrifice to Inara?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Evangelical' is probably unfair, since there are certainly evangelical pacifists and evangelicals committed to spiritual and other kinds of poverty. But why is it that the most prominent Christian pacifists I know are Catholic (Pax Christi)?

You haven't met the strong tradition of Welsh Nonconformist pacifism, then? Mind you, five minutes with them makes me want to join the army.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
originally posted by Laurelin:
m having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.

I don't know why. Jesus makes it clear on several occasions that the Jews were God's chosen people. Why not expect God to favor Israel over their neighbors in the brutal fight for cultural survival that existed in the ancient world. The Hittites once ruled a vast empire. When was the last known sacrifice to Inara?
Because we don't believe God to be a racist, valuing some people more than others because of their ethnicity. Especially to the point of genocide.

This God I could only possibly worship out of terror and fear, whilst hiding my disgust.

[ 05. August 2015, 17:37: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Laurelin.

NONE of them, no one, not Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Churchill, Truman or any who followed their orders and none from the pre-modern age, when they are saved, when their lives are redeemed, deconstructed, reconstructed, however that occurs, and it will, in the Resurrection, would do the abominable evils that they did again. Neither will I. Or IS. Even Satan himself may find repentance. How could he not?

I dread to think.

I call our fall from ignorant, helpless innocence to the utter irredeemable loss of it in this life, feckless innocence until someone gives me a better word.

What are we 'guilty' of? Evolving? And YES being sapient, moral beings we MUST take full responsibility for our evil. Even though we are NOT responsible. At all.

God is.

Love is.

And wins. Fixes it.

Jesus SAVES.

--------------------
Love wins

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

No, the God of scripture and tradition doesn't always conform to cultural expectations. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Postmodernism allows for an infinite number of gods. I used to have my own personal, postmodern God. Then, I admitted to myself that I was just making up my god as I went along. Made up gods are called idols. I see no reason to go through the motions of worshiping an idol of my own making.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You sub-contract that out to Bronze and Iron Age savages.

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I see no reason to go through the motions of worshiping an idol of my own making.

And yet we all do, inasmuch as we emphasize in our own minds certain bits of Scripture and t(T)radition, and deemphasize others that contradict them.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
You sub-contract that out to Bronze and Iron Age savages.

Mistah Kurtz...He dead.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

You haven't met the strong tradition of Welsh Nonconformist pacifism, then? Mind you, five minutes with them makes me want to join the army.
Active is possibly a better word - I mean in terms of presence at pacifist protests, it seems to be Pax Christi, the Quakers, and general pacifist groups eg CND, with some others. There is not, to my knowledge, a strong pacifist evangelical group. I know pacifist evangelicals as individuals, but not of any big organisation.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:

Because not killing people applies to everyone. Certainly with a head of state, assassination is a bad idea anyway.

I am against both war and assassination.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And IngoB, it was JTB, who, like Mary, isn't a member of the Trinity.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I can guess that "JTB" might be "John the Baptist", but I have not at all talked about John, in any way or form, and have no interest in talking about him either here. My point is simple: you cannot separate Jesus from the God of the OT. That's all.

quote:
Then we disagree fundamentally. At best, we agree on the basis of scripture, and disagree on the basis of the Holy Spirit. But the disagreement is still there.

I would hope so.

quote:
So - how many men, women and children would you kill to stop an idea like IS?

One less than IS has killed and will kill, at least conceptually. No idea really where that body count is at so far, but certainly in the hundreds.

But let's be clear, I have no aim to kill anybody, much less obvious innocents like children. Indeed, I have every intention to avoid any form of damage that I can, even to the IS fighters themselves.

Yet the maximum cost of war I'm willing to pay is just less than the expected damage through the attacking enemy. And I'm well aware that this calculus is in many ways impossible for us humans (what is the body count equivalent of taking away religious freedom, for example?). But I do think that these uncertainties have to be costed to the aggressor. If I cannot really say what price freedom, then I cannot really say when one should stop fighting those who wish to take it away.

quote:
Also, how many lives are you willing to sacrifice to accomplish the task? Your own? Your children's? This is not an abstract conversation. Figures would be useful.

No, it's not an abstract conversation. It is underhand rhetorics you keep employing here. You try to make me speak the horrors of waging war, so that I appear horrible. Whereas you avoid addressing the horrors of not waging war, to make yourself appear as morally superior.

But I don't care. Your rhetorics is attractive only while the danger is perceived to be far away from us. As the danger draws closer, the emptiness of such rhetorics becomes transparent to all.

As for fighting IS myself, they are not wrecking my home right now. It is good for the state, and indeed one of its proper functions, to look beyond my individual concerns and potentially decide that it is better to stop IS while they are still only wrecking Syria and Iraq. The state employs professionals called "soldiers" to do these kind of jobs, and uses part of my hard-earned salary to pay them and their weaponry via a mechanism called "taxes". I show my support for such a decision by the state by re-electing the politicians that finance these professionals to push back IS (or not, if I think they shouldn't). If my son decided to become a soldier, then I would indeed expect him to do the duties he signed up for and possibly fight IS on the battlefield. And yes, he may die doing that. That's part of that job, and for me as a father a damned good reason to hope that he will pick a different profession. Still, I do respect that profession and I would ultimately respect my son if he pursued it.

Now, if IS does come closer to my home, then I will act beyond the mechanisms of the common good that we call "state". And I'm quite willing to hurt, maim and kill those who threaten my family and our way of life, if this is necessary and will make a difference. Whether such willingness has a chance to be put into practice is a different question. I have no delusions about being a Matrix-like superhero ducking bullets to deliver a beating. My point is simply that I have no moral or religious qualms concerning that.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
And that doesn't even appear to be a verbal flourish, you really do seem to believe that abortion might justify violence.
link to thread

WTF?! [Mad] I have said nothing on that thread (or in the linked post) that would even remotely suggest that. Are you out of your mind?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm delighted at your ignorance and lack of even schoolboy scholarship IngoB, and your defense of it Beeswax Altar.

Such a simple thing but bespeaks volumes.

And the ontic connection between the constantly changing God of the OT and Jesus is what?

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And yes, justifying God the Psycho is the Heart of Darkness.

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
WTF?! [Mad] I have said nothing on that thread (or in the linked post) that would even remotely suggest that. Are you out of your mind?

Not at all, maybe you would care to explain rationally exactly what you meant. Because it sounded like you were saying in the fight against abortion, violence might be considered a reasonable reaction.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016