homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Katie Hopkins at the Church and Media Conference

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Katie Hopkins at the Church and Media Conference
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Conference News

So, the Church and Media Conference have decided to invite Katie Hopkins (she of the poisonous tweets and columns).

Publicity stunt? Barrel scraping? An ignoring of the advice not to feed the troll, and instead making her the guest of honour?

What do we think?

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#facepalm

--------------------
arse

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They must have a lot of money to pay the speakers! Where does the money come from? The Church or the Media?

Anyway, I understand that Ms Hopkins went to a convent school as a girl. One wouldn't guess that she'd have much use for religion in her adult life, but you never know.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm almost becoming sorry for her. Despite an expensive education, high intelligence and notable talent her personal life has been disastrous since she achieved fame and her business career has gone the same way. Rent-a-mouth is just about all she has left.

I fear this will just be another pedestal for her to fall off.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the 1 person protest against Mark Driscoll, I think this may get a few more hackles up.

There's a word for this sort of thing, but as this hasn't been raised in Hell (yes, there is a Katie Hopkins thread there), I shall refrain from using it here. An emoji will have to do. [Projectile]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Publicity stunt.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is she 'them' or 'us'?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hey, Hillsong invited Mike Driscoll, what can we do that is even more stupid than that?"

"Well...."

Publicity stunt. They are hoping that people will be shocked and so come and see why some parts of the church have so little sense.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and now this news has been released:

Katie Hopkins interviewed under caution by police in racism investigation

[brick wall]

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you back, Matrix!

When I see, in addition to this invitation, that the early bird tickets for this event cost £70, it confirms my theory that so, so much of what passes for christianity these days, especially the loudest and most-reported bits, is thoroughly intertwined with the nastiest kind of business interest.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Good to see you back, Matrix!

I've just been very very quiet...

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Head Hellwards this away for rants re Ms Hopkins.

But there is certainly some scope here for some serious Purgatorial critiquing of these kinds of invitations to conferences with some serious religious intent.

I suppose the thread could simply turn into another rant, but I'm inclined to let you all have at it in Purg, certainly for a while!

And I add my welcome back to Matrix!

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

When I see, in addition to this invitation, that the early bird tickets for this event cost £70, it confirms my theory that so, so much of what passes for christianity these days, especially the loudest and most-reported bits, is thoroughly intertwined with the nastiest kind of business interest.

As I said, it can't be cheap to hire TV celebs to talk at conferences. How can you hold a 'Church and Media Conference' if you can't afford to pay the famous names in the media?

The event is probably meant for Christians who earn good media salaries rather than Christians in general who are just curious about what TV celeb Ms Hopkins' religious beliefs might be. Or, indeed, anyone who just wants a chance to see a controversial celeb in the flesh, regardless of the 'Church' aspect.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
there is certainly some scope here for some serious Purgatorial critiquing of these kinds of invitations to conferences with some serious religious intent.

Absolutely.

To expland a little on what I said, I think that increasingly large swathes* of the Christian media and events industry (encompassing publishing, conferences and so on) ask themselves "what's going to bring in money?" and "what's controversial?" (see point 1, plus will generate "media buzz" and thus "brand awareness"). People are entertained rather than provoked to thought, and the problem is, this is a good business model, so the players behind it get more attention, more market share, and so it goes on.

Another policy is to use such tactics to subsidise more thoughtful and less remunerative initiatives being conducted by the same business, but I'm concerned that once you've sold your soul in this way, it's hard to recover.

I'm certain that the Kingdom of God doesn't come in ways that are striking (see Luke 17:20).

==

*Except for the corners that occasionally publish pieces by me, of course [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is enough to put me off from attending any Church and Media Conference, ever, were I in those circles.

£70 a ticket indeed! And to watch the likes of Katie Hopkins.

NO. THANK. YOU.

[Mad]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone noticed that the page on the website to which the OP links could quite easily be a page from Private Eye? Is there anything on it, that if it were in Private Eye wouldn't read as satire.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
#facepalm

[Killing me]

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
This is enough to put me off from attending any Church and Media Conference, ever, were I in those circles.

But if you were in those circles you'd be fascinated, from a professional point of view, by Katie's ongoing fame and appeal. For them it's probably very little to do with liking her or not liking her as a person.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a defence of her invitation on the Christian Today website. It strikes me as a somewhat naive position. I can't help thinking that the primary motive for inviting Ms Hopkins is the hope that she'll say something outrageous, so that people can be suitably shocked.

As for this:
quote:
On the other hand, is Katie Hopkins likely to be a less malign voice as a result of thoughtful Christian interaction? Just maybe...
That's just pathetic.

(Isn't the Christian Today website pretty awful? Even Ruth Gledhill looks poor)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

It starts with a statement of opinion expressed as a fact, which it isn't.
quote:
Katie Hopkins is a major media figure.
And nor is she.

She is a minor to possibly lower mid-range one.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It starts with a statement of opinion expressed as a fact, which it isn't.
quote:
Katie Hopkins is a major media figure.
And nor is she.

She is a minor to possibly lower mid-range one.

Her star is definitely in the ascendant, though. We know who she is.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
There is a defence of her invitation on the Christian Today website. It strikes me as a somewhat naive position. I can't help thinking that the primary motive for inviting Ms Hopkins is the hope that she'll say something outrageous, so that people can be suitably shocked.

As for this:
quote:
On the other hand, is Katie Hopkins likely to be a less malign voice as a result of thoughtful Christian interaction? Just maybe...
That's just pathetic.

(Isn't the Christian Today website pretty awful? Even Ruth Gledhill looks poor)

Seeing as she went to EdgehIll School in Bideford (an Independent Girls' School run by the Methodist Church), I'll be intrigued to hear what aspects of faith moved her or annoyed her.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Her star is definitely in the ascendant, though. We know who she is.

Not really, she's just found a niche as a borderline racist motormouth (to Ann Coulter as Jeremy Kyle is to Jerry Springer)
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016