homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Salazar and the Estado Novo (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Salazar and the Estado Novo
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
In 1819 the Peterloo Massacre, then Chartism and between 1839 and 1843 the Rebecca riots. It is thought that the Red Flag was first used then.

Thanks for mentioning the Rebecca riots. I'd never heard of them so I Googled. Fascinating stuff.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Augustine wrote:

quote:
A priest told me that much was a combination of puritanism and rebellion against the RCC, with some revulsion at the RCC alliance with the Estado Novo, divorcé(e)s looking for a new church home, and internal community issues (when suburban churches were assigned to be quasi-parishes for the Portuguese and they wanted another one, as happened in Ottawa).
I'm not sure what you mean by that bit in parentheses. Suburban churches were supposed to become parishes for Portuguese, but the Portuguese didn't want those churches?

And, how did any of that make people want to become JWs?

Perhaps I tried to compress too much into a paragraph. First, most of the Portuguese did not want suburban churches, as they would require pretty well all parishioners to drive there, and public transit on Sundays was generally minimal at best. Attendance was thereby made much more difficult for senior citizens, many of whom did not have drivers' permits.

As there were a number of community divisions with some fairly nasty little fights, JWs visited parishioners, telling them that they could have a church home without fighting and without the archbishop's interference- my source here is a series of conversations with community members over the years.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Augustine wrote:

quote:
As there were a number of community divisions with some fairly nasty little fights, JWs visited parishioners, telling them that they could have a church home without fighting and without the archbishop's interference- my source here is a series of conversations with community members over the years.
I believe you. But, Holy Cow, those parishoners must have been pretty alienated from their RC communities(or from mainstream Christianity in general, really) to just up and join the JWs. I mean, you're signing up for No Christmas, No Birthdays, Jesus Was An Angel, and Everyone Besides JWs Will Disappear For Eternity. Just for starters.

I'm guessing it takes a little bit more than a personality clash to get someone to go THAT far away from their previous spritual turf. But I've always been curious about the sociological profile of JW converts. I think I read somewhere that they're mostly Catholic, so maybe it appeals to people who are put off by the pomp and hierarchy of the RCC. Plus, as you say, in places like Portugal, political collusion might be a strong source of disillusionment.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the UK the JWs tend to have a similar demographic profile to white Pentecostals.

I'm told that in predominently RC countries like Spain, Portugal and Poland they exert an appeal by coming along and telling people that they can explain what the Bible REALLY teaches.

I met an RC priest recently - a former Anglican vicar who told me that many of his parishioners don't own Bibles because the nuns told them as kids that it was sinful to do so - because it's what Protestants do - even though it's never been official RC teaching to discourage personal Bible reading.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I met an RC priest recently - a former Anglican vicar who told me that many of his parishioners don't own Bibles because the nuns told them as kids that it was sinful to do so - because it's what Protestants do - even though it's never been official RC teaching to discourage personal Bible reading.
From talking to my convent-educated mother, born in the 1930s, I definitely get the impression that nuns in those days took a relatively dim view of personal Bible reading. At the very least they wanted RC Bible study to take place under strict clerical guidance, and provided anecdotal evidence to the students about individual study leading to disaster(eg. people cutting their hands off after reading Jesus' figurative command to do so).

[ 28. August 2015, 06:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia!

I stood on this bridge, THE bridge, two weeks ago.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016