homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Random Tandems Rides Again (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Random Tandems Rides Again
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come across something odd or funny or surprising or strange? Want to share?

For anything that's not really a thread, more of a strand.

[* ]Firenze
Heaven Host[/* ]

[ 18. September 2014, 08:22: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked SusanDoris's reflections on her weekend (which apparently was the impetus, or one of them, for this thread). Good news, charitable behavior, talent, a good time had by all. I'd be afraid of "actually derogatory compliments" had we directed the conversation to "unexpected behavior of teens" or some such!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you liked it. [Smile]
The reason I phoned the school was that, five years ago, I thought there might be a student who would be able to come once a week to read for me. Audio books and braille are very good of course, but many of the books I wanted to read were not available in these formats. They recommended a lovely girl who came during her 'A' level year and then every holiday while she was at University. Coincidentally, this girl has done the same 'A' level course as the other girl did.

At the same time (five years ago), two (older) women came in answer to my small ad and have been here almost every week since. And what a pleasure it has been to have that to look forward to.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went yesterday to the funeral of a former colleague, a lovely but prickly person, who had always said he didn't have any faith and wished he could. I was quite expecting a secular funeral, and not looking forward to that, but in fact it was a "normal" Christian service. His wife said that, although neither she nor the children had any real faith, they were following his wishes: he had enjoyed church services as a boy when he sang in the choir and wanted a proper church service for himself.

This gave those of us who do have a faith, no matter how vague or shaky (as people said afterwards), the chance to pray for him together, and was extremely comforting. Hallelujah!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Originally posted by Alex Cockell:)

Hi all,

For those who missed it - Netflix UK have series 1 of Rev available to stream now.

Old Ship thread - Old ship thread here in Oblivion

Series on 'Flix - Rev on Netflix UK - needs sub.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwalker:
This link was posted on the Diocese of Western Mass Facebook page earlier today: Temple Israel welcomes Trinity Church

I thought about where to post it; it's kind of a "mystery worship", it could lead to purgatorial discussion, or it could just go nowhere. But here seems like a good place to start.

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so lovely. It has made a day of sore throat, stuffed up nose, changed plans (not for the better) and irritation at collegues into a day of recognition that there is good at work in the world.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Copied over from a now closed thread)

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
Ignatius the Ultimate Youth Pastor

I'm not so sure where to post this video. It made me laugh though so in the end I decided on Heaven. This was made I believe by people who run a church youth group and is a warning about the cult of celebrity. I completly lost it at the "literally hundreds of miles away" comment.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
Mr. Spigot, sir - [Overused]

Really entertaining! I'm sure I know the youth pastor they based it on.

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just cringed ... half way through I had to turn it off.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Copied from a closed thread.

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Sat in the Sheffield Arena waiting for "We Will Rock You" to start. Phil Hilborne rocking out Brian May licks! Loverly!!!

But funniest thing so far is watching all the middle-aged, middle-class ladies all dressed up for a rock gig in high heels, jeans or leather trousers and tops from Next all pointing at the Miranda Hart posters saying "Ooh, I like her" to their friends.

Rawk 'n' Roll... Yeah!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwalker:
This link was posted on the Diocese of Western Mass Facebook page earlier today: Temple Israel welcomes Trinity Church

I thought about where to post it; it's kind of a "mystery worship", it could lead to purgatorial discussion, or it could just go nowhere. But here seems like a good place to start.

That was a lovely description. It serves as a balm to the somewhat acrimonious discussion in an earlier purgatorial thread about letting others use your building for worship and as a note of healing to the tragedy of the bombing that caused the relocation.

It was also amusing to see the "grass is greener on the other side" notes. Do you know that the Episcopalians can get their congregations to sing a decent response unlike the poor Cantor of Temple Israel. I'm not sure how many Episcopal Music Directors recognize the description. ;-) And they get 900 people who... attend regularly ;-)

[ 03. June 2013, 06:55: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

For people who like teddy bears.

There's got to be a good story behind this. And the antique photo is lovely. I hope they can trace the owner.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'I'm walking out of my class and I will proudly take my F."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
For people who like teddy bears.

There's got to be a good story behind this. And the antique photo is lovely. I hope they can trace the owner.

If they can't find the owner, we'd be happy to adopt him.

We (or more particularly D.) have a habit of being adopted by Small Bears; some have been abandoned by their owners, [Eek!] and others wait in charity-shops until he comes in ... [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

*bump*
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to post this yesterday.

Of all the inappropriate things to say at Mass during the sharing of the Peace*:

Me: "Peace be with you."
Him: "Happy Bastille Day."

*and in San Francisco no less.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this from a friend:

Her: Peace be with you.
Neighbour: I cannot tell you how angry your article in the parish magazine made me - you should be ashamed of yourself. [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The current Google Doodle is a charming animation set to Debussy's Clair de lune.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to avoid doodling: I don't get paid for it!

I need a glass of wine.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved that Doodle too, lilBuddha

Has anyone else been entranced by the side discussion on the UCCF thread:

Alan
quote:
The person given the task of arranging stalls at Freshers Fair usually had a good laugh. "Hmmmm, who can we put the CU next to this year to make them really uncomfortable?". Right next to the loudest, loud speaker was always popular. Next to the LGBT society was usually ruled out, because the LGBT people started screaming about persecution. The Islamic Soc and Atheists always seemed popular. The imaginative, or just bit more aware, realised that right next to the Joint Chaplaincy stall (under that same loud speaker, of course) was likely to cause the most consternation among the conservative members of ECU.
Arethosemyfeet
quote:
The roleplaying society is always a good bet, with some nice, prominent D&D books. I always found it funny to imagine the reaction of those evangelicals who freak out over D&D if they ever encounter Unknown Armies or Call of Cthulu.
I don't think it would run properly, but I can almost see a Circus game of putting the most inappropriate stalls at the Freshers' Fair next to each other.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this is the right thread for a question that's really been bugging me.

In the case of the two British girls accused of drug-smuggling out of Peru, the most recent photo, at the top of this article, has them wearing each others' clothes - or at least the opposite set of clothes to what they have been wearing in every previous picture (see for instance the video on this page).

What on earth is going on here? Did their clothes get swapped when they got searched, either mistakenly or vindictively? Are they trying to send some kind of message? And why can't I find anybody else who this intrigues?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe a bored editor at the BBC or Reuters swapped their heads around with photoshop to see if anyone noticed.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wandering through Paradox Place , which has a helpful trove of photos and potted descriptions, I came across Gerbert d'Aurilliac, later Pope Sylvester II, who had an interesting diversionary time in the Caliphate of Cordoba, leading to his writing-up of the use the astrolabe and his desire to see the use of Arabic numerals.

His dates were: born 940, elected Pope 999, died 1003, shown in the article as 940-999-1003.

This was immediately translated by my computer into an offer to ring up this number on Skype!
(preview post tells me that it has happened again)

I didn't dare, for fear the Gerbert might answer.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

His dates were: born 940, elected Pope 999, died 1003, shown in the article as 940-999-1003.

This was immediately translated by my computer into an offer to ring up this number on Skype!
(preview post tells me that it has happened again)

I didn't dare, for fear the Gerbert might answer.

Well if he does, he's living in Gujarat these days (isn't the Internet wonderful?)
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Found this while cleaning out some files on my computer...

"This chain letter is meant to bring greater happiness to you and your parish. Unlike any other chain letter you may have received, this one does not cost money. It will lighten your load.

You simply send a copy of this letter to six other church members in various other dioceses that are unhappy with their bishop. Then you bundle up your bishop and send him to the diocese at the bottom of the list. In one week you will receive 16,536 bishops. One of them should be just what you've always wanted. You must exercise faith in this letter and be sure that you do not break the chain. One good parishioner did and got his old bishop back. Another poor soul broke the chain and was called to be a bishop."

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came across this quote
quote:
...a comment by Mark Twain. When Twain was living in the UK, a couple of his friends from the US were out to his house to tea. A week later, he writes to someone else:

“We furnished them a bright day and comfortable weather—and they used it all up, in their extravagant American way. Since then we have sat by coal fires, evenings.”

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Munchkin at Grauman's Chinese Theatre! One of the who surviving Munchkins gets had and footprints at the Chinese Theatre!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

'Tis International Talk Like a Pirate Day, Ya scurvy dogs!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Found this while cleaning out some files on my computer...

"This chain letter is meant to bring greater happiness to you and your parish. Unlike any other chain letter you may have received, this one does not cost money. It will lighten your load.

You simply send a copy of this letter to six other church members in various other dioceses that are unhappy with their bishop. Then you bundle up your bishop and send him to the diocese at the bottom of the list. In one week you will receive 16,536 bishops. One of them should be just what you've always wanted. You must exercise faith in this letter and be sure that you do not break the chain. One good parishioner did and got his old bishop back. Another poor soul broke the chain and was called to be a bishop."

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ROTFL re the bishop chain letter.

I wonder if Pope Francis broke a chain letter??

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a cloud bow today, I think it was the first I ever saw.

Jengie

[Deleted duplicate post.]

[ 27. September 2013, 20:54: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
'Tis International Talk Like a Pirate Day, Ya scurvy dogs!

I tried!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Munchkin cool!

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was skimming this thread in Purgatory and this little bit,
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
I think the situation is a bit like that which medical professionals face these days. In the old days, they were almost like gods, and no one dared question them. Now, with the internet providing so much information, and television presenting so many fallible doctors, that authority has broken down. And some medical professionals can't cope ...

reminded me of an amusing scene from the t.v. show Scrubs: Patients today.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A procession for St. Francis is passing in front of my house now. It is quite beautiful.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL Pancho I used to have the *worst* crush on Zach Braff! He reminds me of the type of guy I went out with in school-the cute "geeky" type. My husband is geeky and quirky too but, unlike the character, we don't have any of our former pets stuffed and sitting in the living room.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The [Met Office's] forecast of strong winds with associated potential for damage included this phrase...

quote:
This warning has been updated to bring forward the end time.

(Copied from closed thread.)
Ariel, Heaven Host

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A partial solar eclipse tomorrow morning! People on the East Coast of the USA will be able to see it as well.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is hilarious and I had to share it with the Ship! [Killing me]

Interpretive dance

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Interpretive dance

Could someone who knows The Sturdy Wench make sure she sees it?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Interpretive dance

Could someone who knows The Sturdy Wench make sure she sees it?

Moo

I immediately thought of Kenwritez too.
[Tear]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moved from Darwin's religious views.

quote:
Hosts, I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put it. I don't want to start a debate; I just want to report on something interesting.

Yesterday at our church education hour, two Virginia Tech professors told us about their biographical research on Darwin. Duncan Porter is a biologist and Peter Graham is in the English department. They have collaborated in writing about Darwin's life and religious beliefs. Their sources were not just Darwin's published writings, but his private letters.

When he went on the voyage of the Beagle he was an ordained Anglican priest. Other men on the ship sometimes teased him about his fundamentalism. He was actually not that interested in religion. The main focus of his life was a burning curiosity about all aspects of the natural world. Three years before his death he wrote in a private letter
quote:
In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God--I think that generally(& and more and more so as I grow older) but not always. that an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind.
All his life he gave very generously to churches. When the Beagle reached New Zealand, he contributed one fourth of the total sum required to build the first church there. (He had a great deal of inherited wealth.) His son recalled that his father would walk him to church every Sunday, but rarely go in.

Essentially he spent very little time thinking about religion, although he obviously considered it a good thing; otherwise he would not have supported it.

This talk gave me a new understanding of Darwin, and I thought you all might be interested.

Moo

Followed by this post:

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
That's interesting, because as far as I recall from Desmond and Moore's biography Darwin lost his faith fairly comprehensively after the death of his daughter Annie (given more detailed treatment in Annie's Box). But it could well be that the talk you went to interpreted the sources differently from Desmond and Moore, Keynes and other biographers who might, as it were, be wanting to find an atheist Darwin.

(edited to correct punctuation)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When he went on the voyage of the Beagle he was an ordained Anglican priest. Other men on the ship sometimes teased him about his fundamentalism.

Dunno where your mates got that from. He was intending to become a priest but never did.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos of nothing here - yesterday I cooked a small joint of beef for the first time for a long time - free range, from a local farm which does its own butchery, brisket, rolled with some fat round it. I have only just realised that there was no dripping ! Just as I felt the craving for brown bread spread with the stuff with jellified juices underneath it.
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Want a new home with an unusual colour scheme? Wow, just wow!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I clicked and, at first, only saw the main image and thought "What is she on about?"
Then I saw the thumbnails below. Oh my goodness.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I suspect it will sell faster if they redecorate the interior.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Want a new home with an unusual colour scheme? Wow, just wow!

So, tell us, what's your favourite colour? No! Really?
The Undercover Christian
Apprentice
# 17875

- Posted      Profile for The Undercover Christian   Author's homepage   Email The Undercover Christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't give up, Flippy Mouse!
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The violet house - I thought that sort of interior had disappeared since I was hunting in the late 70's - purple and orange fur then!

And the mouse reminds me of the hamster we had in my classroom. first of all tried to get a carrot down a tube when held in its mouth like a pirate's cutlass, then went down the tube, turned, came back and pulled it by the end. Then, and this was the real intelligence, went without the carrot along the long and winding route to its store, came back, and chewed the carrot in half so it would get round the corners and up and down the siphon shapes. We spent 20 minutes of a maths lesson watching it. (I'm afraid I pointed out that this was longer than some of the children were prepared to spend on a problem.) The mouse clearly shows some of the same sort of problem solving thought. Impressive.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016