homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Random Tandems Rides Again (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Random Tandems Rides Again
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people (myself included) will be delighted to see that (at least according to the Telegraph), Edinburgh is once again Britain's Top City.

Proper thing. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps a Mystery worshipper was called for - I don't know where this was, but in the UK somewhere. The relevant part is halfway down the page, below the bit about dishwashers.

www.paranormal.org.uk/mustardland/viewtopic.php?t=51431

[ 26. December 2014, 17:42: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some alternative New Year's Honours [Big Grin]
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just learnt, from a crossword clue, that episcopal is an anagram of Pepsi Cola. Perhaps a sponsorship opportunity for TEC there.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I've just learnt, from a crossword clue, that episcopal is an anagram of Pepsi Cola. Perhaps a sponsorship opportunity for TEC there.

I remember hearing that many years ago.

If the Mormon Church still owns Pepsi, I doubt that there's much hope for a sponsorship.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, I'm quite used to being the last to know things.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Some alternative New Year's Honours [Big Grin]

They are wonderful and all look thoroughly well-deserved. That a man from Redditch should produce a book about roundabouts is no surprise, and it provides plenty of opportunities for observing bad parking too IIRC (my parents used to live there).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two completely random tangents. I took this photo yesterday. Secondly why do I have my mothers mixers instructions in my finance draw? I cannot think of any reasonable solution to that one.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Two completely random tangents. I took this photo yesterday.
Jengie

Apparently one needs a Google account to open that.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn, I tried to make sure it was readable by all. It is on google photos but it will let me post it to Google+ or Facebook and I could not find anyway otherwise to change the settings

Does this work or this one?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night in the strong wind, my plastic tomato house ended up on its side on the other side of my garden and half way back towards the house, neatly tucked in over a group of large flower pots and under the rim of the bird bath. I wish I'd seen it go. It managed to do it by pulling a cup hook in the fence to which twine had attached it out. It partly knocked over a smaller plastic similar thing, but, it arrived where it did without knocking over the canes that had been inside it, the bird feeder pole, canes which had held up cucumbers, leeks or a plastic rain gauge en route. It may have flattened a few last lettuces and one onion. and knocked a sunflower seed dispenser on its way, but I have to conclude it either flew, or rolled. It's not a large garden, it only moved about six metres, but there's a lot of stuff in the way. I've put its frame back, but sequestered the cover. I didn't sleep well last night, but heard not a thing.

[ 15. January 2015, 15:13: Message edited by: Penny S ]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heading down musical memory lane just now I noticed that a (fake...) Salvation Army band appears in the pop video of 'I Don't Care' [1992] by Shakespears Sister (sic). How cool is that?

(The band pops up in the background at 4:04. )

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching the 2nd Harry Potter movie, and realized Mr. Weasley is played by the same actor who played Fr. Brown!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news from my alma mater. With a recent history that includes being the location for some of the Harry Potter films, Durham University has just appointed Professor Snape to be the inaugural Michael Ramsey Canon Chair of Anglican Studies.
[Overused] [Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech--ROTFL.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it! As if Durham wasn't cool enough already (about 15 years ago we spent a week singing the services in Durham Cathedral and staying in the castle - it was lovely).

On the subject of appropriately-named officials, I noticed in The Orcadian newspaper when I was home that the new president of the Orkney branch of the National Farmers' Union is a Mr. Cowe.

[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just realized that this year is the 75th anniversary of Gracie Allen's run for President of the United States! The gag started on the Burns & Allen radio show in late February of 1940. Gracie then, over the next week or so, did a whirlwind tour of other radio shows (such as Jack Benny and Fibber McGee & Molly) to announce her candidacy.

The idea caught the public fancy and it began to snowball. The radio show developed a campaign song with such lovely lyrics as "Those big politicians don't know what to do!/Gracie doesn't either, but neither do you!" and "Vote for Gracie to win the presidential racie." Her platform included such wisdom as "be proud of our national debt: it's the biggest in the world!" When asked her opinion on a hot-topic bill, her advice: "if we owe it, we should pay it."

One of her ideas that sounds even smarter these days than it did then: Put Congress on commission: if the country does well, they'd be paid accordingly; if the country does poorly, so will they.

Her political party, the Surprise Party! held its convention in Omaha, Nebraska. Yes, they actually held a convention in Omaha. It was packed. The Party mascot? A Kangaroo. Party motto? "It's in the bag!"

The campaign ground to a halt when the radio season ended in May (or maybe June). Over the summer, the Burns & Allen Show changed sponsors and, when it came back on in September the campaign idea had been dropped. Despite this, during the election in November of 1940, Gracie still netted in excess of 40,000 write-in votes. Perhaps they followed the advice of the campaign song: "That's right, you can't go wrong! Vote for Gracie and keep voting all day long!"

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double-post, but I need to correct something. I foolishly relied on Wikipedia for the number of write-in votes Gracie received. There appears to be no actual evidence to support that. Other Sources indicate that the total number of write-in votes (without classification as to who or what was written in) was only about three thousand votes. So Gracie, if she got any write-ins at all, would have received less than 3000 votes.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday evening, I was playing the trumpet in a street party here in Brazil. A short black man with a baseball cap arrived, and brought out a trumpet. He played some notes along with us. He started a New Orleans type song, which we played along. Then he left.

It was Wynton Marsalis.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
It was Wynton Marsalis.

[Yipee]
Or did you just April Fool us? [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
jedijudy: Or did you just April Fool us? [Biased]
No, it would have been a good one but this happened on 31 March and it was very real. I'm never going to forget this in my whole life.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

4 ft. long pet rabbits! [Eek!]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I want one!!!
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

...whereas I'm more inclined to run away!

I think animals are wonderful, but I'm not a pet person. If I had to be around one of those giant rabbits, it would take some time and work to get used to it. I tend to have a visceral negative reaction to standard poodles--where I grew up, poodles were much smaller. I'm not sure I even knew standard poodles existed. I'm getting over that, though.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Lagomorphs of Unusual Size"

<snort>

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

I want one!!!
[Axe murder]

Could you imagine one of those with an axe?!??!??! [Eek!]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Could you imagine one of those with an axe?!??!??! [Eek!]

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Killing me]
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Shhhh, don't tell Kelly!!!

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do they come in milk chocolate?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

I remember hearing that many years ago.

If the Mormon Church still owns Pepsi, I doubt that there's much hope for a sponsorship.

Snopes, people, snopes.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Those rabbits may explain the passage I've lately read in Lindsey Davis' book "Master and God" about Domitian. In the description of Titus' games inaugurating what was to be called the Colisseum, rabbits were listed among the animals. "Rabbits?" queried the main character, but explanation there was none.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It turns out that a seventeenth century play by an unknown author may have been written by Shakespeare.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want it! I want it! want it!!!
It is ugly, impractical, dangerous and oh so lovely.
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you......the Black Pearl

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too!

If we order two do you think we'll get a massive discount that makes it affordable?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genius! [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Here's an earlier version.

It fits rather well with the most phallic vehicle I have ever seen, spotted this weekend.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's back!

The Englewood review of books has done their top 10 bad christian book covers (certainly beats our measly caption competition).

The 10th cover, and the whole premise of the book, is cringeworthy. Though I really, really want to read DOES GOD EVER SPEAK through CATS.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
...certainly beats our measly caption competition.

The way things have been going lately, anything would.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
It's back!

The Englewood review of books has done their top 10 bad christian book covers (certainly beats our measly caption competition).

The 10th cover, and the whole premise of the book, is cringeworthy. Though I really, really want to read DOES GOD EVER SPEAK through CATS.

My feeling about No. 10 is that it is a send-up. Surely?

And what happened on the 20th May, 2012?

[ 12. May 2015, 16:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
And what happened on the 20th May, 2012?

There was an annular solar eclipse and and earthquake in Italy. Maybe something to do with that?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Wasn't the world supposed to end on May 20, 2012, according to some strange interpretation of the Mayan calendar?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

That book seemed to associate it with Joel. It would have been my mother's birthday, had she been alive.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Alright the just plain weird.

I made a pasta sauce today (avocado, mayonnaise and poached salmon if you must know). The bowl it was in in the kitchen fell off the shelf before I could put it on the pasta. Fortunately very little split although still annoying.

What I do not get is how some managed to fall onto the door base between my living room and hallway while not hitting the living room carpet at all. The kitchen is off the living room!

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
It's back!

Yes! What is God telling us when Mr. Fluffles licks his own arse?
Most of the list are just bad book covers. Though that one, #10 and the angel bestiality porn cover are true disasters all way round.

[ 24. May 2015, 17:37: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

jedijudy

# 333

I think I disagree with this dog being named World's Ugliest Dog. He's not ugly, IMHO!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I think the judges got bored with the Chinese Cresteds winning all the time.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I think the judges got bored with the Chinese Cresteds winning all the time.

They always remind me of Bill the Cat!

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Did you hear what happened when Tim Berners-Lee was looking at some dodgy sites on the web?

He clicked 'Delete internet history' and now no one's ever heard of him.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

I would like draw your attention to the existence of a Ned Flanders-themed metal band.

That is all.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really thread worthy in itself, but I thought this XKCD would go down well here.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016