homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What has the Queen ever done for us? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What has the Queen ever done for us?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only say it's the first time I've ever heard the term "Georgian" used in that way.

As far as I know, nobody living in the nineteenth century referred to "the Victorian era": my understanding is that was bestowed retrospectively by a later generation. Who knows, maybe in 50 years' time we might be referred to as "the New Elizabethans".

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a fair bit of 'New Elizabethan' guff (new age of discovery, climbing Everest, jet engines, four minute mile, etc) around at the beginning of the reign. Never came to much.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
There was a fair bit of 'New Elizabethan' guff (new age of discovery, climbing Everest, jet engines, four minute mile, etc) around at the beginning of the reign. Never came to much.

Certainly a lot of that at the time, especially with the news of the ascent coming through to London on Coronation Day.

That's interesting Curiosity Killed. Perhaps a pendulum has swung back? I can't say from any personal knowledge what may be taught at uni here today, but would be very surprised if the Georgians featured to any extent. The Sassoon of Adam, a brown old vulture in the rain is so far removed from moons wandering in silver shoon almost to come from a different country. I wonder what may have been taught in the UK 50 years ago.

[ 14. September 2015, 22:49: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fifty years ago the First World War poets were only just being acknowledged. Wilfred Owen's poetry wasn't published to any acclaim until then . But the 50th anniversary of WWI coincided with Vietnam. There were attempts to publish Owen in the 1930s, unsuccessfully. Only a couple of his poems were published in his lifetime. Same sort of thing happened with the art of Nash and others. The Imperial War Museum commissioned them all as war artists, but gave away much of the art to the Tate as it was too unpalatable.

I should not try posting on a phone on my commute

[ 15. September 2015, 07:54: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back to the OP, the Queen has provided that much needed, and often taken for granted quality: Stability! And, even better, she provides a Head of State who is not a politician! (Australia has just sworn in its 5th PM in 5 years, so both of these points are Very much Appreciated!)

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity killed, we read quite a bit beyond the strict syllabus for the English Honours I did for my Leaving Certificate, and started then on the WW 1 poets. Then in English 1 at uni, we went back to them, with the Georgians being dismissed as almost irrelevant.

I'm not a Barry Humphries fan, but the de la Mare poem I alluded to was probably written with Humphries' future existence miraculously foretold. Can't you just hear Dame Edna reading:

Slowly, silently now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon.
This way and that she peers and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees.

It's not 50 years since I learnt that, but around 60 - I was still in early years at Prep when we read it, and the one of the rabbit in a snare - not by de la Mare, I know, but the same palest watercolours. Compare those lovely little lines with Sassoon's The gaunt wild man whose lovely sons were dead or Owen's And half the seed of Europe, one by one. Incomparably greater, and still bring tears to my eyes.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Conversations can and do meander, but if you want to discuss poetry you may prefer to start a separate thread.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Point taken.

HM has provided continuity, but of what? Being head of state of her various realms is just about the limit. For all of these but the UK, that is little more than nominal. Even there, while she is entitled to give advice, the PM of the day is under no obligation to acknowledge it, let alone accept or follow what she says. A minimalist republic is just as effective. Head of such a state can even be a citizen of the country, radical though that might seem.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Yes, I certainly had a "New Elizabethan Encyclopaedia" (and a dictionary, too). Yet, looking back, it seems to have been a peculiarly English - rather than British - construct, and a conscious desire to look towards the future through the rose tints of a glorious past.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, English + Commonwealth/Empire. But yes, that pretty much sums it up, I think, from what I've heard and read.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Saved us from presidential elections. And presidents for that matter.

Absolutely agree!!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only just noticed this thread, which is rather strange as I got to see the Queen on the day when she became longest serving monarch and saw first hand, on that occasion, one of the very positive benefits of her presence. The feel good factor among the crowd who turned up to see her arrive at Newtongrange station by steam train, and unveil the station plaque, was palpable - and the effect lasted for much, much longer than the 15 or so minutes she was there.

Her visit made people feel so happy, their smiles were wider, their steps were lighter, the people who met her (most notably the former miners) felt that their contributions to society had been acknowledged and that their efforts were worthwhile.

Although the Queen is obviously not God, it felt like a collective 'touching the hem of the robe' moment, the whole atmosphere felt like nothing I'd ever experienced before.

That's the power of the Queen. Gloriously understated, yet gloriously effective.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also (briefly) met the Queen. I agree that one of the amazing things about her is the way she makes you feel like the most important person in the world. She is utterly charming and a little bit magic. Her smile is fabulous.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the Queen from a distance. I'm sure that she waved especially at me.

(I did meet the Dutch Queen though.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was introduced to her once and I thought she was a rather frosty old biddy.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two thoughts about the Deuterobethan age.
1. This is the period when it became possible to meet the physical needs of everyone on the planet.
2. Having a Queen would have helped the cause of gender equality.
New Zealand being a defacto republic has the advantage of both a monarchy and a republic. No presidential elections Yay!!

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016