homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Podcast Proposals

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Podcast Proposals
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do quite a bit of riding and running and often listen to podcasts. There are some wonderful and not so wonderful podcasts out there.

Answer me this, Mystery Show and Radiolab are some of my favourites.
They combine interesting topics with thoroughly engaging presenters.

How about you. What practically perfect podcasts can you suggest?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Kermode and Mayo Film Review programme on BBC Radio 5 - Wittertainment at its best (and Hello to Jason Isaacs)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj/episodes/downloads

You don't even have to like film to enjoy the gentle bantering and not-so-gentle ranting about films by Mr Kermode.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Infinite Monkey Cage..

Brilliant!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you like Mystery Show presumably you've heard of/tried the other Gimlet shows - ReplyAll and Startup? I like both. I preferred S1 of Startup when it was about Gimlet itself. ReplyAll is supposed to be about topics relating to the internet but often the connection is tenuous - but the show is always well made and interesting.

What else do I like?

Another vote for Wittertainment - though I am seriously behind on that!

The Allusionist is fun if you're at all interested in words, and only 15ish minutes usually.

I enjoy The Flophouse which is 3 Hollywood writers watching and discussing bad movies. Fun if you've seen the movies, or even if you haven't.

John August and Craig Maizin's Script Notes is interesting - two working screenwriters discussing their craft.

WTF is one of the best interview podcasts but depending on who's on sometimes I only listen to the opening 'monologue' part.

I've enjoyed The Untitled Patrick Rothfuss Podcast which is just a series of conversations between him and a friend.

Judge John Hodgman I really like. It's John Hodgman (actor, writer, comedian, PC in the PC v Mac ads) acting as judge in a "fake internet court" deciding on real cases (i.e. minor points of disagreement between friends/couples etc) and making rulings. Beneath the comedy there's often a lot of genuine wisdom. The episodes "My Legal Pony" and "Right to Remain Silent" are among my favourites.

A few others, possibly in the vein of what you mentioned would be Invisibilia, Planet Money, Slate Money (which ought to be dry but is saved by great presenters) and of course This American Life.

Too many? I listen to a lot of podcasts. [Biased]

Note all of the above should be findable on iTunes or the major apps, I haven't put in links out of pity on the hosts.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radiolab never fails to blow my mind.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listen to a whole variety of things on Ancient Faith Radio.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got drawn into podcasts earlier this year. The ones I listen to are:

Chat 10 Looks 3 (by Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb, truly hilarious at times)

StartUp (which was the first podcast of the same company that does Mystery Show)

Serial (dormant at the moment, but if you haven't heard the first season it is well worth it)

Lexicon Valley (about bits and pieces of English language)

The History of English (episodes tend to be a bit long and repetitive, and after 10 episodes he's still talking about proto-Indo-European, yet some of the information is truly fascinating)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I downloaded a bunch of podcasts from TrekFM, but I've hardly got around to listening to any of them (they're about all sorts of Star Trek stuff). I just don't seem to get around to it.

The other one I do listen to is the Radio 4 Comedy Podcast. It's either The Now Show or The News Quiz, depending on which is running at the time, and it very rarely disappoints.
It would be good if it was News Quiz Extra though, with the little bit of extra material.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like Inside Science.

It keeps you up to date with all sorts of new discoveries which you'd never hear of elsewhere [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really love this podcast (the history of the world in a hundred objects). Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to all of them, because the hushed museum tones of the presenter's voice often sends me into a deep nap. It is wonderful, though.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016