homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you were a celebrity....

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you were a celebrity....
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What celebrity show would you go on?

Would you be a strictly contestant? Or opt for the jungle? Maybe Stars on Ice, or, for the really desperate, The Jump.

Maybe you would give a go on Celebrity X-Factor, or Come Dine with Me. You might be a Pointless celebrity, or a Celebrity Mastermind. Or any other celebrity show.

The reason for the celebrity route is that your actual ability is not relevant, just your willingness to join in.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who says I'm not?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
What celebrity show would you go on?

Why assume that SOF shipmates would be on the B list or below?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were a faded celebrity, then all of them, one after the other, just like Peter.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's Peter?

I think if I had the choice it would have to be a quiz, like Jeopardy! or Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, as I'd be utterly hopeless at the jungle thing, and as for dancing ... [Eek!]

Come Dine With Me might be fun though, especially assuming that if I were a celeb., I'd have a celeb-sized house.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

Come Dine With Me might be fun though, especially assuming that if I were a celeb., I'd have a celeb-sized house.

With staff to clean it.
[Smile]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make no assumptions about shipmates. Some of these shows do have top celebs. But as I don't know that any shipmates are celebs, I leave it open to see what they would consider appropriate.

Celebrity Mastermind has included some top-level celebrities, like Iain Banks. So feel free to claim you are bigger than one of the best authors of the 20th century.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite celeb cooking episodes was when Barbara Windsor appeared on the Xmas edition of Ainsley Harriott's show, dressed as a Xmas elf and bearing a bag of ready made food which she proceeded to touch up in a frying pan.

How to turn the ethos on its head. [Snigger]

If I could reach her level, count me in!
but I fear it would never happen.....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who's Peter?

Serial reality show star Mr Andre, currently on Strictly Come Dancing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Who's Peter?

And he is unfortunately quite good. I was hoping he would be off very quickly.

Janette is one of the hottest dancers though, so that is a bonus.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either Pointless or Millionaire. I think Pointless would be more fun, but the £2,500 prize for the nominated charity (in the unlikely event of actually winning it) seems pretty poor, even by BBC standards.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come Dine WIth Me sounds like a good fit for me: I use do enjoy eating a lot. I'd rather be the producer than the talent!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's only one you'd get me on - Spitfire Ace.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think I would be a pointless person too, because it is fun, and good exposure, although, as you say, the money is not good (I presume they get appearance fees too).

I would like to do Mastermind but that might be more stressful. And nobody to blame if it doesn't go well.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who's Peter?

I think if I had the choice it would have to be a quiz, like Jeopardy! or Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, as I'd be utterly hopeless at the jungle thing, and as for dancing ... [Eek!]

You don't have to be a celebrity to get on Jeopardy! Anyone has a chance ... especially me, since I'm going to an audition in a few weeks. I suppose if I get on the actual show I might be a very, very short-lived celebrity.

But if I were a genuine celebrity I'd avoid reality shows like the plague. Ricky Gervais's speech at the end of Extras when he walks off the set of the reality show is still one of my favourite bits of TV ever and encapsulates everything I feel about most of those kind of programs (genuine quiz shows that depend on knowledge excepted, of course).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dancing with the Stars by a mile.

The Queen of Bashan, who is actually a pretty good dancer, has figured out her back-door way in. They occasionally have in-the-news heroes do a turn. The guy who landed the airplane in the East River was on, and this season they have one of the American tourists who saved the train in France from a terror attack. So she figures she just has to wait for a chance to save a busload of people (she is also a quick and decisive actor in times of crisis) and ride it all the way to the mirror ball trophy.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
... I'm going to an audition in a few weeks ...

How cool is that??? Best of luck! [Yipee]

[ 29. September 2015, 02:59: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I have wondered about trying to get a ship team onto one of these quizzes. That would be well awesome.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the best quiz for that might be the devilishly difficult "Only Connect" - you don't need to be a slebrity for that.

[ 29. September 2015, 17:57: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend did Pointless with his niece - they won £6000!

Another friend did a wedding show thing called 'four weddings' (dreadful programme) and won a honeymoon in the Bahamas!

I would do 'Only Connect' as I'm good at lateral thinking [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I would be up for that - although someone else would have to organise it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:
Who's Peter?

You don't have to be a celebrity to get on Jeopardy! Anyone has a chance ... especially me, since I'm going to an audition in a few weeks. I suppose if I get on the actual show I might be a very, very short-lived celebrity.

But if I were a genuine celebrity I'd avoid reality shows like the plague. Ricky Gervais's speech at the end of Extras when he walks off the set of the reality show is still one of my favourite bits of TV ever and encapsulates everything I feel about most of those kind of programs (genuine quiz shows that depend on knowledge excepted, of course).

There is a specific Celebrity Jeopardy each year. I watched one round this year, where Aaron Rogers (QB Green Bay Packers) beat astronaut Mark Kelley. Kelley's twin brother Scott warned him that Rogers had better SAT score than he did. I love me some Aaron Rogers! [Axe murder]

An acquaintance of mine won two rounds on Jeopardy, close to $15,000. Good luck to you!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think that they at least make the celebrity version of quiz shows a little easier, since the objective is to give a good chunk of change to a good cause. At least that was the case with Celebrity Family Feud this summer- it's nearly impossible to win the Fast Money round on a regular episode, but every celebrity team who made it to Fast Money won by a landslide, thanks to a bunch of categories where there were one or two obvious answers.

(Not to impugn Aaron Rogers' knowledge set- you have to be damned smart to play quarterback, much less for Berkeley.)

[ 30. September 2015, 03:42: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

They definitely make Celebrity Mastermind easier. I can actually answer some of the questions.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My one desire with quiz shows is to write a question for Round Britain Quiz. I think I may have left it a bit late.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Round Britain Quiz purely for the archaism that in this day and age they still address the contestants as “Mr Wotsit” and “Mrs Thing”.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The late Louis Allen, who used to co-host the show, was one of my lecturers. A remarkable man, the only lecturer for whom students from other courses would crash the auditorium, and possibly the only lecturer in history to bring his lectures to a cliffhanger on the dot of the hour, leaving the audience gasping in frustration and waiting for next week's.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel Ken would have had something to contribute to this, repeat quiz show guy that he was [Votive]

Although I've done lots of family genealogy, I'd still be interested if the folk on Who Do You Think You Are could find something new (and if they didn't, I'd just look smug anyway).

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pointless Celebrities tends to be slightly easier in the early rounds, with a subject that the contestants might be expected to know something about. But it certainly doesn't seem any easier when it comes to the final round - the Beeb really don't want to pay out that huge £2,500 prize to charity.

Gosh, the thought of being on Only Connect! Hideously embarrassing, but the chance to breathe the same air as VCM, to be in her presence, perhaps even to touch the hem of her robe.... [Smile]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Who's Peter?

And he is unfortunately quite good. I was hoping he would be off very quickly.

Janette is one of the hottest dancers though, so that is a bonus.

Oh, harsh. Although he's fairly clearly not the sharpest tool in the box, from my very limited gleanings on the edge of Sleb Goss I've always formed the impression that he's actually quite a nice bloke. He's certainly put up with a lot of crap and mockery and come through it smiling and apparently relatively sane (if not bright).

Once Daniel O'Donnell is gone (purely because he weirds me out) I really don't know who I want to see off next based on "Ugh, not them!" rather than ability. They seem to have avoided having anyone utterly, utterly toe-curling compared to previous years.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None at all. But if at the point of a gun, Only Connect or Celebrity Mastermind.
Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hollywood Squares, if they bring it back.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016