homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The End of the World is Nigh (again)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The End of the World is Nigh (again)
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The world is about to be annihilated (again).

What are you doing in these, your last moments? How would you like to spend your last moments, if the above isn't it?

(Hands up who's spending their last moments watching the Great British Bake Off...)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eating as much ice cream as I possibly can.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, no more dieting! And probably it is not worth mowing the lawn.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, well, at least we know what the Lord is NOT likely to be doing on Wednesday.

So I suppose I'd better keep on exercising.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Typical. The Cubs make it into the playoffs and then THIS happens! [Disappointed]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this going by UT or the time the last inhabited place finishes the day. If UT, I've got 3 and a half hours, Otherwise, another 12 after that - (I think.)
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah no - I don't want to spend my last hours having a dodgy tummy!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Penny S: Is this going by UT or the time the last inhabited place finishes the day.
It goes by timezone. Australia has stopped existing a couple of hours ago already.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do hope the apocalypse (when it gets this length) is not going to be too noisy. I plan on going to bed soon.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have done no ironing, gardening or housework. Long-term work tasks have been ditched and the diet and any pretence at exercise are all long gone.

Somehow I expect to wake up tomorrow and find that the Rapture has not come and another prophet (or should that be profit) has egg on his face.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Already well into the 8th October here ....

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the world ended on the Supermoon / bloodmoon and I missed it. Another chance! I'm surfing the ship. Does that make me holy or un?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Does that make me holy or un?

She stopped typing mid word ... it's the Rapture!

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decided to skip going to the gym tonight...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I have done no ironing, gardening or housework. Long-term work tasks have been ditched and the diet and any pretence at exercise are all long gone.

Me too. And yet I hadn't heard about the end of the world.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ordering things from Amazon and selecting the "No-Rush" shipping option.

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Posts: 153 | From: Reseda, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess last week was a bad time to take out a new life-insurance policy then.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are four bottles of Champagne in the cupboard under our kitchen window. It would be a shame to let them get obliterated.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that was exciting! Does anyone ever call out these false prophets? Do they ever feel even the slightest shame?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at all - they just get out their pocket calculators again and work out when the next one's going to be.

If I'd thought about it in time (which I didn't) I'd have got stuck into the nice bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc we've been keeping in the fridge for a special occasion. After all, if I were going to get Raptured, I wouldn't get a hangover, would I?

I'd also have been mightily hacked-off, as we booked the flights for our holiday last week ... [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before anyone starts about it, this isn't going to hit us.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He's learning to be vague. Someday soon, fer sure!

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Before anyone starts about it, this isn't going to hit us.

I love the way that the Express (one of our more dreadful papers, devoted mostly to unresolved grief at the death of Princess Diana) uses the word "skim" for something that's 16 million miles away.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, one could be quietly concerned that 86,000 kilometres (6 billion tons) of ice is melting from the polar ice caps each year. This rate of melt is expected to increase.

It might be good to have a 15-50 year plan in mind if you are near a coastline that will eventually be affected. I guess the water level predictions will be much more accurate in about 10 years time.

Perhaps some of us will live long enough to see the rise of protected family compounds again in the scramble for unaffected land.

If 85% of the world lives around sea ports there will be a lot of people vying for less and less real estate. And some clever technologies developed to preserve cities over the next century.

My guess is that an increase in national security services will create jobs in that area. What do you think will happen?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We live on a small hill and just 5 kilometres from the sea so are planning towers with armed guards at the four corners of the property. There seems to be some problem with the local government over the gun licences and having a private army but...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
If I'd thought about it in time (which I didn't) I'd have got stuck into the nice bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc we've been keeping in the fridge for a special occasion. After all, if I were going to get Raptured, I wouldn't get a hangover, would I?

Well, with a hangover, sudden motion, and bobbing up against a bunch of other people, you might need a barf bag, too!
[Biased]

Great way to meet St. Pete, God, etc. Maybe skip drinking, and just take the bottle with you as a gift?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Though with that river running through the city there should be plenty of water to turn into whatever St Pete wants. Assuming Jesus taught him that particular trick.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
There are four bottles of Champagne in the cupboard under our kitchen window. It would be a shame to let them get obliterated.

How's your head, LVER?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't just need to be above whatever height above high spring tides seems wise, you need your utilities, especially sewers, to be above it as well. (Did a lot of thinking when there was a sudden rash of building on the Thames flood plain below Woolwich. There are levees*, but...)

*Proper ones, earthen wall type.

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget to get your card stamped...

[ 09. October 2015, 14:20: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Don't forget to get your card stamped...

[Overused]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Typical. The Cubs make it into the playoffs and then THIS happens! [Disappointed]

excellent

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

excellent
Ditto Northern Ireland getting into the European footie championships. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you missed these dates for the end of the world, just scroll down, there are some more you could still be in time for.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
If you missed these dates for the end of the world, just scroll down, there are some more you could still be in time for.

Good grief! Marvellous we're still here really.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Penny S: Is this going by UT or the time the last inhabited place finishes the day.
It goes by timezone. Australia has stopped existing a couple of hours ago already.
Now we're still here I probably should point out that Australia is not exactly at the cutting edge of timezones [Biased] (or rugby, I hope)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I'm glad Sir Isaac Newton was better at physics than prognostication.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Think I'll just stay in bed and either sleep through it or read a good book while listening to my favourite music.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016