homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Never Again Meals (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Never Again Meals
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Talking of colours, black pudding, green peppers and red tomatoes may be a dashing combination - but doesn't really work as a sandwich filling.

Libyan flag? I have a theory that some nations' flags represent their national cuisine- thus Germany is black bread, red sausage and mustard; Hungary, white goose with red and green peppers; and so on.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... the natural dye in red cabbage is powerful stuff and turns mashed potato purple ...

You may jest, but over here, especially out in the country, no church pot-luck is complete without at least one mashed-potato salad that's been coloured with beetroot juice, which has a similar effect.

[Eek!]

Is that deliberate? If it hasn't been done a book of "Fellowship Cooking" is needed to collect the off-dishes that are taken to Bring'n'shares and Putlucks, but rarely if ever served at the family table.

Dining with other Christian couples can still be fraught. Is there anything worse than lasagna served with boiled spuds, carrots and sprouts? No garlic bread, no mixed salad. That was taking good, plain cooking beyond Heck.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it depends on the particular variety of Christian - a mixed salad and garlic bread might have just made it too enjoyable ... [Devil]

I don't know whether the pink salad is a staple in people's houses, but I know what you mean. I make carrot loaves for the morning coffee at the Cathedral sale, but I never make them at home as I don't really like them.

[ 13. October 2015, 13:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni Sais - My husband has a friend who thinks pasta needs something like carrots or beetroot served with it.
I think community meals are fraught in various ways. not only are there the dishes that you can't identify, but then there is the too many cooks syndrome. I was cooking curry with a friend at a camp for a group of about thirty. She rinsed the rice first cooked it and left it to dry out, it was perfect. Someone else then came along and decided that it needed a rinse. The resulting glutinous lump was rejected not only by the diners but by the camp's Vietnamese pot bellied pigs.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The refectory at the place I used to work was run by a woman whose culinary skills could best be described as "absent"; she used to put the pasta on to cook for lunch as soon as they'd stopped serving breakfast, and by lunchtime it was a sticky, starchy mess.

When she was off work for a couple of months following surgery, the refectory takings shot up, and when she came back they plummeted again.

I wonder why? [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Do not use red lettuce in courgette and lettuce soup; the resulting brown colour is unattractive.

If you have used red lettuce, do not try to rescue it by adding a dash of cream; this converts an unattractive brown into something much worse.

However, if you want to get a small child to eat said soup, adding a plastic hippopotamus does help, as the soup does look like the sort of stuff a hippo might wallow in, and small children are apparently willing to eat "swamp soup."

Copied that to both daughters on behalf of grandchildren just now, marked 'urgent'.

I try to be vegetarian, but was under considerable social pressure to consume an animal pie recently, with an imperious cook glaring at me. The springbok is a beautiful creature, but it tastes horrible. Never again.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will humbly add the trifle we once, ahem, enjoyed where the cook had assumed those round, dark, approximately grape-sized things in a bowl in the fridge where indeed grapes, rather than the olives they in fact turned out to be.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to say that that soup was the only time my cooking was improved by being served with a plastic hippopotamus but that would be a lie.

I had quite a reputation as a disastrous cook for a while. My daughter discovered that if she reported a dodgy meal to the school dinner ladies, she got sympathy and extra pudding. The dinner ladies enjoyed hearing tales of culinary disaster, my daughter enjoyed pudding, so it was mutually advantageous for them.

It did mean that I'd find myself stopped in the street by random people wanting to know if I'd really tried to bulk out ratatouille with chickpeas.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learnt that cooked parsnips in a stew didn't really taste so good the next day. Also a turnip and apple salad on the day was very nice, but vomitous the next day. There was once a recipe I copied exactly from the Toronto Telegram weekend magazine that involved marmalade ane that turned people off my cooking for many years. I avoid recipes from magazines now - although, with passing decades, they often give me ideas. But I do it my way, as the song goes.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
The springbok is a beautiful creature, but it tastes horrible. Never again.

I believe that the Japanese eat Springboks, don't they? [Biased]
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

I was in Springbok territory with friends when that terrible happening happened. You should have seen our bunch of old engineers, in deep mourning, finding small comfort in many bottles of Castle beer.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had carpaccio of springbok, so perhaps the mistake was cooking it.

Btw, if anyone knows how to roast a wallaby, the Scottish team would like to know....

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I understand that the Wales squad have been seen in Japanese restaurants this week, trying to learn the (not so ancient) art of making Springbok sushi... [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
she used to put the pasta on to cook for lunch as soon as they'd stopped serving breakfast,

Which reminds mr, is it time to put the sprouts on for Christmas? [Two face]

Sometimes it is worth trying something a second time.

The first time I ate rubber bands they were tasteless and impossible to eat.

But it was worth trying again. In Agadir, Morocco, the calamari is one of the best thing I have ever eaten. Overcooked it is one of the worst.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My answer to this is virtually anything my mother tried to cook. With the emphasis on 'tried'.

-tofu in cake icing instead using butter

-jello to firm up cheesecake she tried to make from yoghurt

-powdered mushroom gravy as the sauce for everything

-belief that noodles could be parboiled and frozen for later use, which might be 6 months later, though we think the record is 2 years

-powdered milk to fortify everything, most egregiously soup, which was everything not eaten for supper during the week, which accounts for various punishments when young because I forgot to take some food out of my pockets before putting into the laundry. Lumps of undissolved powdered milk in soup were the good bits actually.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rachel Ray's "Chicken Marsala Masala". Why?!!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a never again disaster that my son and his friends begged me to make again.

I don't really know what went wrong, but the fudge I made was as hard as cement. I had to use a knife and a hammer to get it out of the pan. As the brown rocks were on the way to the garbage can, my son asked if he could have them.

My stinker son took the fudge concrete to school and sold each rock for 25 cents! He made about five dollars. Son and all his friends begged me for years to make it again.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to tell that her grandmother would put the cabbage for lunch to cook on wood stove immediately after breakfast. That and any other green vegetables would be cooked with a heaped teaspoon of carb soda to keep them green. Necessary I guess with that length of cooking.. [Frown]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother would do the same - except I think she accepted that cabbage only needed 30 or 40 minutes...
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in a hurry and very hungry. I was making homemade vegetable soup with macaroni "alphabets". I decided to shortcut the process and just dump the uncooked macaroni into the soup, thinking that the macaroni would cook just fine...nope!

The result was a gooey, nasty blob of semi-soft macaroni all clumped together. My roommates made a brave show of trying to choke down the ruined soup but it was awful. They were very nice about it, though and didn't give me the verbal lashing and ridicule that I so richly deserved.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My mother would do the same - except I think she accepted that cabbage only needed 30 or 40 minutes...

My MIL pressure cooked all her vegetables. That included cabbage which was pressure cooked for about 15 minutes till it was a mass of slimy grey mush.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Communal cooking - I did experience one episode where the rice was cooked in an excess of water (i.e. you're off to a bad start) then kept warm by leaving it in the excess hot water.

It was rice soup by the time it was served.

Mashed potato salad? Mashed?

[Projectile]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

My MIL pressure cooked all her vegetables. That included cabbage which was pressure cooked for about 15 minutes till it was a mass of slimy grey mush.
I knew a pub chef once who explained almost in tears how every time he did the vegetables properly - i.e. not boiled until the last vitamin, cell wall and shape or structure gave in - he used to get complaints from the elderly Sunday Carvery contingent that the vegetables were raw.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

As the neighbour Betty, brilliantly played by Margaret John, in Linda Smith's Brief History of Time Wasting, said, everyone knows that vegetables are not safe unless they can be ingested by a person in a coma.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Oh, small tangent- this mac'n'cheese that seems to be all over every hip menu like a rash- am I right in thinking that it is nothing more or less than what we in the UK have always known as macaroni cheese, a slightly dowdy Sunday supper comfort food dish which, when made with not quite enough cheese, used to appear in Barbara Pym's novels as a portent of an awkward evening?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Shipmate
# 76

Don't get me started on Hipster menus.

http://wewantplates.com/

Fortunately we don't get much of this nonsense in my neck of the woods.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
... is it time to put the sprouts on for Christmas?

Absolutely. In fact, you're several months behind ... [Devil]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, small tangent- this mac'n'cheese that seems to be all over every hip menu like a rash- am I right in thinking that it is nothing more or less than what we in the UK have always known as macaroni cheese, a slightly dowdy Sunday supper comfort food dish which, when made with not quite enough cheese, used to appear in Barbara Pym's novels as a portent of an awkward evening?

Yes, and quite why it's described as "mac'n'cheese" instead of "macaroni cheese" and served in some places as a side dish I don't know. It certainly isn't something I'd go out to a restaurant to eat, let alone as a side dish.

But anyway. I'm always a bit nervous of "triple cooked chips" ever since my first experience of these in an office canteen where they were done like this:

1) 8 am, start cooking chips. When done, leave aside to cool until needed.
2) 12 pm, re-heat chips by dunking them into deep fat fryer.
3) 1.30 pm, if anyone comes in wanting chips, take what's left and dunk them into the deep fat fryer again. Serve immediately, with small saw and hammer and several layers of greaseproof napkins.

The same chef was also responsible for making spaghetti bolognaise. Surplus sauce then had kidney beans and a pinch of chilli powder added to it the next day to make it a chilli con carne, and on the third day went into a bowl with a pastry topping and was presented as a pie.

I won't mention the gooseberry and onion soup, the kidney and orange soup, or the various other delights served up from time to time...

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Sounds like the Regrette Rien restaurant in Mike Leigh's Life is Sweet: liver in lager, pork cyst, kidney vol au vent ('that's a whole kidney in each one')
Wild Organist
Apprentice
# 12631

- Posted      Profile for Wild Organist   Email Wild Organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst meals? Anything that Meals on Wheels serve. The current people have lost the contract and it's going back to the even worse sort. I pity my father but can't do a thing about it, not being a brilliant cook myself and working at two jobs. He's still alive, though, so they must be edible. They just look recycled.

--------------------
Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Posts: 50 | From: West Sussex | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

When I first worked in the Civil Service the catering was in-house (since privatised out, natch). It had a certain vernacular honesty - ie, everything that could be was deep fried and there were a lot of chips. Every Friday would bring The Rissole which was a compilation of the week's leftovers,rolled in breadcrumbs and, yes, you've guessed...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just remembered the Marmite sandwiches. Here's how to recreate them:

Take 1 slice of white bread. Spread margarine and Marmite on with a trowel. Add 1 slice of brown bread. Spread margarine and Marmite on with a trowel. Add some sliced cucumber and add 1 slice of well-margarined white bread. Cut diagonally into two triangles, wrap very tightly in clingfilm and serve.

The result was surprisingly horrible even without the loathsome Marmite-covered cucumber. The two different kinds of bread never seemed to work together.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am so glad that someone else has noticed this abomination. It is macaroni cheese, it has always been macaroni cheese, and should have lots of lovely cheese in it, and can be tarted up with bits of bacon or ham and tomato or chopped onion. But it has never been mac'n'cheese in the UK until about a month ago. Even Waitrose and M&S have succumbed.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was one of several passing mothers who was asked to taste test a school dinner pudding gone wrong. It was deep fried ice cream (balls of ice cream in a batter rolled in coconut. They'd been deep fried in the same fat as the fish....

We confirmed the fishy coconutty deep fried ice cream was inedible.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once doubled the recipe for a chocolate pudding but somehow failed to double the liquid. Best eaten with an ice pick and a heavy hammer.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Organist:
Worst meals? Anything that Meals on Wheels serve. The current people have lost the contract and it's going back to the even worse sort. I pity my father but can't do a thing about it, not being a brilliant cook myself and working at two jobs. He's still alive, though, so they must be edible. They just look recycled.

That's a shame. I have fond memories of Meals on Wheels banana custard c 1974 (we had an old lady living upstairs and she didn't like it so she would give it to me).
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My late great-aunt lived for many years in a slightly faded Home for Elderly Jewish Ladies in Kensington (long since closed). The meals were provided but I suspect the cooks were not well paid and probably got a lot of moaning from the residents. They therefore rarely stayed long. When there were in a void between cooks, Meals on Wheels provided the catering.

On our visits to Alice, conversation would often turn to food, such as (I will try to reproduce the Mitteleurope Gemanic accent):

"Our cook hass left and now ve are having ze meals-on-veels. Zey are not very gut. It vas so much better ven we had cook".

Two weeks later. "Ve now have a new cook. She is not very gut. I vish we could have ze meals-on-veels again, zey were much better".

A few weeks later (well, you can guess!) She lived to be 98, so the food can't have been that bad!

[ 17. October 2015, 07:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I will humbly add the trifle we once, ahem, enjoyed where the cook had assumed those round, dark, approximately grape-sized things in a bowl in the fridge where indeed grapes, rather than the olives they in fact turned out to be.

I once made fruit cake with any dried fruit I could find in the cupboard, not realising the dried prunes were salted ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend yesterday reminded me of Mama's fish lasagne and I've been shuddering on and off ever since. [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, my next door bff tried making fudge. I've heard of fudge crystalizing, but this was remarkable: the stuff turned out with the looks and consistency of dark brown obsidian. Interesting hard chocolate candy, but fudge it wasn't.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
<snip>I'm always a bit nervous of "triple cooked chips" ever since my first experience of these in an office canteen where they were done like this:

1) 8 am, start cooking chips. When done, leave aside to cool until needed.
2) 12 pm, re-heat chips by dunking them into deep fat fryer.
3) 1.30 pm, if anyone comes in wanting chips, take what's left and dunk them into the deep fat fryer again. Serve immediately, with small saw and hammer and several layers of greaseproof napkins.<snip>

Good chips are fried *twice* at two different temperatures, and there's no harm in leaving them for a few hours between (e.g. see here), but the third frying to reheat is a no-no.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many, many years ago, in the hiatus between Christmas and the New Year when we were living almost solely on leftovers out of the fridge, we had unexpected guests to lunch. We had been planning to finish up some left over cream of chicken soup, and my mother proposed trying to "stretch" it by adding something from the store cupboard. She couldn't understand my horror at her plan to add a can of condensed Campbell's Oxtail soup .....

I did in the end manage to convince her to desist.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Probably would have been edible. When I worked in a day center for homeless people every eneing we'd do two huge panss of soup, using donated cans- one meat, one not- the first 30 (or however many) cans in each category that came to hand. It was usually OK if not always especially exciting.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone knows that it is possible to use left over waffles to make sandwiches right? There's a substance called "sandwich spread", which mother could stick the canned sardines to in the sandwich. If you take this too school, you need to eat this outside away from people. Or just steal someone else's lunch.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an enthusiastic student, my brother invented Hawaiian potatoes - spuds mashed with pineapple juice. They only had one airing.....

Then there was the strawberry ice cream my mother made. It was rock hard. We tried leaving it out for ten minutes first, then for twenty, then for an hour. In the end she left it in the utility room sink and three days later there was no change! [Confused]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Everyone knows that it is possible to use left over waffles to make sandwiches right? There's a substance called "sandwich spread", which mother could stick the canned sardines to in the sandwich. If you take this too school, you need to eat this outside away from people. Or just steal someone else's lunch.

With sardines? Oh my! I've used it with meat, and cheese, but cannot imagine it with fish at all. Yukk.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

And while we're on the subject of fish, tinned pilchards. With anything. Nasty lumps of vaguely fishy mashed cardboard in a watery tomato sauce. Tinned sardines, definitely; tinned anchovies, mackerel fillets, etc, likewise; but tinned pilchards- no, never.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mac and cheese is just the American for macaroni cheese. It is often a side to American BBQ hence appearing on menus here now soul food (or an approximation of it) is so fashionable here now.

Also, it's delicious.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
And while we're on the subject of fish, tinned pilchards. With anything. Nasty lumps of vaguely fishy mashed cardboard in a watery tomato sauce. Tinned sardines, definitely; tinned anchovies, mackerel fillets, etc, likewise; but tinned pilchards- no, never.

I thought a a tin of pilchards was the food of emperors, and a guaranteed way to attract women?

Remember, you are never alone with a pilchard!

[ 21. October 2015, 09:53: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Somehow I'd never seen that before. Wonderful- thank you!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016