homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Never Again Meals (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Never Again Meals
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pie cooked by my mother. It had various left-over vegetables in it from the many small bowls of left-overs in her fridge. There may have been swede. There were certainly baked beans.

When I say pie, you are probably thinking of something covered with pastry, or perhaps mashed potato.

Not cabbage.

This pie had been topped with cabbage leaves which had been spread over the top before putting in the oven, so by the time I ate it they were slightly burned.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, I'd forgotten the matchless line Remember, you're never alone with a pilchard.

It also brought back to mind one of the more revolting meals of my childhood - pilchard pie: underneath layer of pilchards in tomato sauce into which had been mixed a can of creamed sweetcorn, then a layer of mash with some leftover parsley sauce, topped off with salt and vinegar potato crisps [Ultra confused]

Deciding to finish off the meal with strawberry junket was the final straw.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really dislike pilchards. Yet I like sardines.

It must be the sauce they come in.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the first time I was served shrimp cocktail. It seemed like I was chewing on someone's fingers. Ditto for the second time. I've never eaten shrimp again.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Mac and cheese is just the American for macaroni cheese.

And this isn't America, so why change? That which we call macaroni cheese is just as delicious. So why change? And if changing, why not to macaroni and cheese to fit in with our West Indian community? It is the undemanded language shift I was not happy about.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I really dislike pilchards. Yet I like sardines.

It must be the sauce they come in.

It's the tins. In Cornwall they catch pilchards but sell them as sardines. Brush them with oil and lemon, BBQ them and they are delicious.

Tinned pilchards are of Satan though.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Mac and cheese is just the American for macaroni cheese.

And this isn't America, so why change? That which we call macaroni cheese is just as delicious. So why change? And if changing, why not to macaroni and cheese to fit in with our West Indian community? It is the undemanded language shift I was not happy about.
Macaroni and cheese is also used in the US. And I am quite aware that it's not America, but the US terminology is being used because it's being served in the US way, ie as a side to soul food/US style BBQ etc.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macaroni cheese made with Gorgonzola and cream sauce is a Yes, please, again as often as you like meal!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not in the Sainsbury's ad, it isn't. Main meal suggestion. Obviously, in context, no problem.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Macaroni and cheese is also used in the US. And I am quite aware that it's not America, but the US terminology is being used because it's being served in the US way, ie as a side to soul food/US style BBQ etc.

I wish you'd come and tell our local pubs that - they feature it as a main meal.

I expect, any day now, "cauli'n'cheese" to appear on menus (which must surely be one of the most revolting dishes known to humanity. Yet it persists).

[ 22. October 2015, 11:12: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The US terminology is being used because it's being presented as funky and hip and, in the case of ready meals, because they want to sell it to young people rather than to elderly people who have it when the Meals on Wheels don't deliver - bit of a caricature but the point about advertising and marketing is what is behind it all. So they put the same stuff in the tubs but change the label a bit.

So let's, please, keep our own terminology, unless, just possibly, you're talking about the menu of a place which does wholeheartedly do that particular kind of American food (and not just the Brake Bros version of it).

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I expect, any day now, "cauli'n'cheese" to appear on menus (which must surely be one of the most revolting dishes known to humanity. Yet it persists).

If you don't like cauliflower or cheese, or have a particular aversion to cooked cheese, that is undoubtedly so. I enjoy it, but we usually have it with sausages and Mrs Sioni is an uncommonly good cook.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find frying chopped bacon and adding it to the cheese sauce improves cauliflower cheese no end.

Edited to add - though if the North East Man smells bacon frying, he's disappointed if dinner turns out to be cauliflower cheese or cabbage pasta bake, another dish improved by bacon.

[ 22. October 2015, 11:51: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During World War 2 when meat was rationed, we used to have macaroni and cheese as a main dish once a week.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'll add various things to both, often tomato, sometimes ham.

I don't see collard greens making an appearance. Or grits. Or chitterlings (sp?)

And Waitrose had fallen, too.

It's like the spread of the American pronunciation of the last syllable of figwort, liverwort, and so on, which crept in via St John's Wort. I heard the botanist James Wong use the British form after speaking with a British botanist, but creeping back to the wart version.

And the spread of "gifted" as a verb instead of "given".

I'm developing fogeyism.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm developing fogeyism.

Right there with you. [Disappointed]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A painful memory of cuisine écossaise is deep fried pizza. Can someone please assure me that it doesn't exist outside chip shops? Deep fried haggis, on the other hand, is not so bad.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone tried the famous deep-fried Mars Bar? I did once out of curiosity when on holiday in Portsmouth. One bite was enough. If you like your Mars Bars half melted into greasy, crisp batter, this is for you.

Come to think of it, the Stilton ice-cream I once had at a food fair was something else I wouldn't want to repeat. But if you like frozen sweet cheese, this may be right up your street.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Has anyone tried the famous deep-fried Mars Bar? I did once out of curiosity when on holiday in Portsmouth. One bite was enough. If you like your Mars Bars half melted into greasy, crisp batter, this is for you.

The repertoire of chip shops in South Wales is similar to that associated with Scotland. Not only can you get the deep-fried Mars bar, but you can get deep-fried Topic and Snickers too!
quote:

Come to think of it, the Stilton ice-cream I once had at a food fair was something else I wouldn't want to repeat. But if you like frozen sweet cheese, this may be right up your street.

We once, and only one, bought Stilton with Port chocolates. Maybe the Belgians or French can do it, but not this place in Cardiff.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a chip shop in the Lakes selling deep fried Mars bars and a selection of other deep fried chocolate bars - Marathon and Twix, iirc. So yes, I've tasted deep fried Mars bar and deep fried Marathon. One of each between eight of us was plenty, just enough to try them. And we'd been walking all day, so were hungry.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I wish you'd come and tell our local pubs that - they feature it as a main meal.

Here in the US the term began as a way to prompt kids to beg their parents for boxed meals with an easy to pronounce catch phrase, so I agree that sounds stupid on an adult pub menu. Probably just space-saving.

Interesting that we keep the "and" and y'all drop it, though. (In the adult version.)

[ 22. October 2015, 23:51: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My never- again meal is lutefisk, of course. Thought it was mashed potatoes and piled it on my plate at a Lutheran potluck. My cruel stepfather made me eat every bite, while he snickered.

If you haven't had the pleasure-- cold fish custard.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

If you don't like cauliflower or cheese, or have a particular aversion to cooked cheese, that is undoubtedly so. I enjoy it, but we usually have it with sausages and Mrs Sioni is an uncommonly good cook.
My eldest son says the only reason for the creation of cauliflower is for it to become cauliflower with cheese sauce. I love it but love cauliflower in its many incarnations. Cauliflower cheese is winter comfort food for my family.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the brassicae are good but cauliflower is wonderful! We don't have it enough here. Cauliflower cheese is probably not something that would appeal to Himself and Herself but, hey, that would mean I'd have to eat it all!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the brassicas when cooked, but I'll give them a pass when raw.

Cauliflower is wonderful roasted - something I learned from Amazing Grace.

I'm surprised we got to page 3 before somebody mentioned lutefisk. I've heard Kelly's lutefisk story, and I thought of it when I saw the thread.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mac and cheese is also one of the stalwarts of the kids menu in many eating establishments, where it forms a main meal.
quote:

I've never really seen the point of cauliflower. To my mind, it's a vegetable suitable for eating if you can't obtain tasty vegetables.

Still, I suppose if you have a person who likes both cauliflower and covering random foodstuffs in a cheese sauce, it's reasonable to have them get it all out of their system in one dish, which you can then avoid [Snigger]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
I've never really seen the point of cauliflower. To my mind, it's a vegetable suitable for eating if you can't obtain tasty vegetables.

Quite. It may possibly have some flavour of its own but as it usually seems to be boiled to soft blandness it's hard to tell. I suspect the cheese is the main attraction of cauli'n'cheese.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Quite. It may possibly have some flavour of its own but as it usually seems to be boiled to soft blandness it's hard to tell. I suspect the cheese is the main attraction of cauli'n'cheese.
Even then it can be improved by substituting broccoli for cauliflower.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tinned pilchards are of Satan though.

Sir, you are a prophet.

I'd like to add to the delicious fresh, disgusting tinned list. — Tuna.

If I am served tinned tuna it goes straight into the cat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If we are out before we ever order a mushroom dish we check whether it is tinned mushrooms or fresh ones - tinned ones have no flavour and are a complete waste of space! They also include, at no extra cost, a sort of unpleasant slimy texture.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We once, and only one, bought Stilton with Port chocolates. Maybe the Belgians or French can do it, but not this place in Cardiff.

We had those too - quite a few years ago now. Even the dog wouldn't eat them, and he loved both chocolate and cheese.

ETA I think ours came from Waitrose.

[ 23. October 2015, 09:34: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't like it cooked, but it's very good raw with a suitable dip.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread has reminded me of a meal from my student days. My room-mate had heard of steak and ale stew. We had some chicken and he decided that Guinness was close enough. There may be ways of making a good sauce from Guinness but pouring it into a pan with some chicken and leeks and leaving it to cook for about an hour is not it.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Has anyone tried cauliflower rice - ie, cauliflower broken into its smallest fractal pieces, cooked and served instead of the carbs part of the meal? I haven't, though I like cauli enough to grow it.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone tried cauliflower rice - ie, cauliflower broken into its smallest fractal pieces, cooked and served instead of the carbs part of the meal? I haven't, though I like cauli enough to grow it.

Yes.

The cauliflower doesn't really seem at all like cauliflower when made like this. You can also mix with an egg and make a gluten free pizza crust, which is a Celiac/Coeliac recipe.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:
This thread has reminded me of a meal from my student days. My room-mate had heard of steak and ale stew. We had some chicken and he decided that Guinness was close enough. There may be ways of making a good sauce from Guinness but pouring it into a pan with some chicken and leeks and leaving it to cook for about an hour is not it.

I'm pretty sure that Carbonnade Flamande works with Guinness.

It's a Nigella recipe, but none the worse for that and variations exist.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. And Mrs A used to make a pretty good mushroom pie which involved Guinness.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes - steak, mushroom and Guinness pie has long been one of my very favourite things. The difference is that steak can take the darker, stronger flavour of Guinness better than chicken, which usually has a more delicate flavour. Also, the Guinness needs to be mellowed a bit by other ingredients when used in cooking. If Erik's friend had diluted it a bit with stock and seasoning it might have been a happier story.

But that's student cooking for you: those days of happy experimentation [Biased]

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

In its defence, cauliflower, lightly fried in olive oil, can be the basis of a most delectable vegetable curry - I make it often.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I have had it in a curry and it works all right in that, but that's basically because the curry has a lot of flavour. There are some foods that are mostly just vehicles for sauces, cauliflower seems to be one of them.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like cauliflower, but not as it often arrives, overcooked and watery, rendered tasteless before coating in fairly nasty cheese sauce. I eat it raw, curry it with chick peas, use a Delia recipe pan roasting it with cumin and cook it in tomato sauce, which I thought was a Spanish recipe, but when I googled it came up as Afghani or Mediterranean.

None of these recipes boil cauliflower.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

One of my historic recipe books ordered what we would consider extreme overcooking for all brassicas as essential for health. Or something. It was only when I read about the characteristics of the ancestral seakale that I realised where this came from. Seakale seems to come from the how to cook a galah cookbook. "Boil with a stone, and when the stone is soft, throw the bird away" as I recall. (I have not tried seakale.) I wonder how recently the brassicas have been given the ability to be rapidly cooked al dente.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

One thing I am adamant about is that brassicae should never be boiled - sometimes they can be lightly steamed but mostly a quick saute is enough. No wonder they are tasteless if boiled, all the goodness is then in the water!

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
A painful memory of cuisine écossaise is deep fried pizza. Can someone please assure me that it doesn't exist outside chip shops? Deep fried haggis, on the other hand, is not so bad.

According to Wikipedia, it exists in Italy as well, especially in Naples.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Interesting - I didn't know that. The best chip shops (and ice cream shops) were all run by Italians when I was a little younger, so perhaps that's the explanation.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
One thing I am adamant about is that brassicae should never be boiled - sometimes they can be lightly steamed but mostly a quick saute is enough. No wonder they are tasteless if boiled, all the goodness is then in the water!

Curiously, during the food science portion of my Applied Science mains course at college (thinly disguised science for gurlies, related to the domestic science and needlework courses the others were doing, but successfully disguised, because I didn't notice until much much later) when I boiled up sprouts and tested the resulting veggies and their water for ascorbic acid, I did not find that it was all in the water. There was some concern about this from the staff, but that was my result.

I have bought a reduced pack of cauli and broccoli couscous from Waitrose - instructions either to microwave or quickly fry. Can't do the first - think I'm going for omelette.

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Sort of explains Vesuvius, then. Perhaps someone should tell them before it's too late!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Arizona State Fair is going on right now (I haven't gone to it in many years). All sorts of strange foods are sold, but especially anything deep-fried. Here are a few highlights from this year's Fair.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

Replace the Guinness with some blonde beer (Belgian wheat beer for instance) and it'd be lovely - the Belgians often cook chicken with blonde beers and it's lovely, like a coq au riesling without riesling.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking about student meals, we had a recipe for spinach and ricotta cannelloni which my housemate was attempting to cook, only she couldn't find ricotta or cannelloni in the shop, so we substituted lasagne and cheddar cheese. It was fine but nothing like how the actual recipe would have turned out!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016