homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Valedictions

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Valedictions
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any cool ways to sign-off emails/letters. I've gone through:

Yours truly/sincerely,
Yours ever,
All the best,
Regards (with various prefixes);
Shalom;
Cheers;
Ciao; to
Pace bene.

Time to get creative people, I'm open to offers.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TTFN*?

*Ta ta for now

[ 30. October 2015, 18:23: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dave Allen was fond of 'May your God go with you'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me old fasioned but I never depart from 'yours sincerely/faithfully'

[ 31. October 2015, 08:12: Message edited by: leo ]

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I have used a few from comedy shows

Kinda lingers (Not the Nine O'Clock News)
THIS WEEK I ARE MOSTLY BEEN EATIN PROZAC (Fast Show)
You ain't seen me - right? (ditto)
Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
So long and thanks for all the fish (ditto)
Share and enjoy! (yet again)
On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you (I really like HHGTTG)

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Kinky Friedman modified this to 'May the god of your choice go with you'.

I sometimes use, 'Peace on earth - and elsewhere'. I don't know why, but it seems to annoy certain people quite satisfactorily.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Kinky Friedman modified this to 'May the god of your choice go with you'.

I sometimes use, 'Peace on earth - and elsewhere'. I don't know why, but it seems to annoy certain people quite satisfactorily.

Mint [Smile]

@Leo - I'd class your sign-off as "classic" me ol' son.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Call me old fasioned but I never depart from 'yours sincerely/faithfully'

Old fashioned indeed, but in our cynical world should these not go the way of nasty letters in buff envelopes that used to end: "I remain, sir, your obedient servant"?

Therefore should "sincerely" and "faithfully" only be used when one is being sincere and or faithful? I admit to using them in formal correspondence otherwise and always in emails it is "Regards".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum (b.1903) used to hope that some day she would have to write to someone for whom she had such contempt that 'Yours ffy' would be appropriate; ie they would not be dignified with the full 'faithfully'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nuns at my school used to sign of with "yours in Christ."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nuns at my school used to sign off with "yours in Christ."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sorry for repeated posts - I kept getting told to try again!

[ 01. November 2015, 21:53: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "try again" thing is a sign that it DID actually accept your post, and it now thinks you're trying to post again within the three-minute limit. (Software is too dumb to realize you're resubmitting the same post)

Don't ask me how I know this. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Just shows what you can do when you "Try, try, and try again."
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your friend,

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
My mum (b.1903) used to hope that some day she would have to write to someone for whom she had such contempt that 'Yours ffy' would be appropriate; ie they would not be dignified with the full 'faithfully'.

GG

These days those f's would probably express more contempt than your dear mum intended.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With love, as ever

OR

In Christ, as ever

are my two faves, depending on how formal I need to be.
I like these, because no matter what sh*t is going down it is a reminder that Christ's love is bigger than all of us.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
With love, as ever

OR

In Christ, as ever

are my two faves, depending on how formal I need to be.
I like these, because no matter what sh*t is going down it is a reminder that Christ's love is bigger than all of us.

[Smile]
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blessings (not really me but I like getting it)
Shalom
Arohanui (=much love)
Peace

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Just shows what you can do when you "Try, try, and try again."
Reminded me of an ad on the Tube, during the rugby world cup.

'If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. That gives you 15 points, 21 with the conversions'.

Love it!

Mrs. S, missing the rugby

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My late great aunt signed her cards "C.Y.K", which means "consider yourself kissed". We were glad to consider ourselves so and not to have the actual experience.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend in college signed letters "MTPOTLBAWY" -- May the Peace of the Lord be always with you.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Cave Canem (not quite sure what to make of that (!)) and various emoticons. <H> being one of my favourites.

--------------------
'

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wild Organist
Apprentice
# 12631

- Posted      Profile for Wild Organist   Email Wild Organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use ATB* in emails, but was trumped by a friend who used SATB** I like the ambiguity, but must confess that some people don't even know All The Best.

*All The Best

** Surely All The Best

--------------------
Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Posts: 50 | From: West Sussex | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sincerely all the best?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016