homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Young Adult books.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Young Adult books.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for recommendations of good young adult/ older children Christian books. I'm particularly thinking about the 9-12 year olds on a camp I help with, but also for myself as I struggle with dyslexia at times, so want something easy to read. All suggestions welcome, fiction, history, theology or anything else you can think of.

(Hosts couldn't decide if here was the place for this. Looking for maybe slightly heavier weight answers than heaven usually provides.)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hope would be that you include a book such as 'The Magic of Reality - how we know what's really true' by Richard Dawkins.

This is aimed mainly at an audience of younger people, but it is of course very well written and the hardback contains excellent colour photos, plus coloured pages.

[ 02. November 2015, 06:03: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure Prof Dawkins would be entirely happy to have his book suggested as a "Christian book".

I suppose the first question to ask would be what you would be expecting the books to be for. Some light reading before bed (in which case a Christian novel my be appropriate, if there are any good examples of that genre)? Or, a book that deals with a theme being addressed at the camp (in which case, we'd need to know the theme)? A good introduction to major themes of the Christian faith, the Bible, lives of the Saints ... well, there are lots of options there.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm not sure Prof Dawkins would be entirely happy to have his book suggested as a "Christian book".

...nor will Susan be when she realizes she did... [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some ideas for fiction books. As always, it's a good idea to read/skim books you don't know before giving them to kids.

--Madeleine L'Engle's books for children and young adults. (Actually, she intended most of them to simply be good stories for whatever age.) Particularly the "Time Quartet"; and "Meet The Austins", and the rest of that season.

--C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia".

--"The Secret Garden", by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Not specifically Christian, but fits well. And there are some great ideas about God.

--Patricia St. John's "Tanglewoods Secret" and "Rainbow Garden".

For history books, do you mean religious history, or a religious take on secular history, or...?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really up for any books, as it's mainly about getting me reading Christian based books again, if I find books suitable for camp, that's a bonus!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not specifically Christian, but my daughter really liked Lucy Daniels, Jeremy Strong and Jacqueline Wilson at that age.

I guess maybe we should be asking what is a "Christian" youth novel..?

--------------------
arse

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, point taken!! [Smile]
I of course think it would be important at any occasion to provide an alternate, non-believers' view.

On the Christian book side, I would recommend 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint Exupery. The Christian message at the end might well be too vague for younger children. Also it reads better in the French!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Hostly consensus is that this serious discussion on book recommendations may be held in Heaven, whence I hereby dispatch it.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked Knife and its sequels by R.J. Anderson . A fair bit of magic and a very convincing (at least in the first book) fairy world. The human characters are Christians. Also Caroline Lawrence's The Roman Mysteries have quite a bit about early Christianity in them.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly you have read Lewis, and Dorothy Sayers on this subject. But, before a book can be a Christian book, it must be a Good Book. It had better be excellently written, a cracking good story, as addictive as cocaine and as appetizing as chocolate. To slap a Christian label so as to foist second-rank work onto a reader is an actively bad witness; there are Christian novels out there that are a superb witness for atheism.

So! Having said that, everything depends upon the reader you have in mind. A boy will not do well with Little Women, but every girl should read it. An older child of bookish bent will do great with Phantastes or perhaps the Curdie books by George MacDonald, but a kid who demands a modern tone would be better with something recent. Boys nearly always enjoy SF or fantasy; my go-to entry-level drug is the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud -- crystal meth between book covers; if this doesn't make the lad a reader nothing will.

Consider well the reading level of the child you have in mind. Some kids enjoy a challenge and others are put off. People who have difficulty with a long text can be happily inculcated with movies. LOTR, Les Miserables, Narnia, even the Aubrey and Maturin books, all have excellent movie portals that are true to the spirit (if not the text) of the written work.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I of course think it would be important at any occasion to provide an alternate, non-believers' view.

TANGENT Well in that case you'd want something better than Dawkins! I always thought that his problem was that they gave him a Chair in the Public Understanding of Science and he thought it was a Chair in the Public Misunderstanding of Religion END TANGENT
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THE PRINCE IN WAITING John Christopher

Sword of the Spirits - Jn Christopher

I AM DAVID Anne Holm

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will probably be cast into the outer darkness for suggesting the Harry Potter series. There are many Christian themes which Rowling has snuck into the story.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
An older child of bookish bent will do great with Phantastes or perhaps the Curdie books by George MacDonald,

I read the Curdie books when I was 7. The Princess and the Goblins was the first book I read after an advanced get my daughter to read course from my mother, the school having failed to entrance me with Janet and John. I did skip bits, I think, as re-reading several times would reveal descriptions I didn't remember.
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
I will probably be cast into the outer darkness for suggesting the Harry Potter series. There are many Christian themes which Rowling has snuck into the story.

I will sit in the outer darkness with you, because that's what I was about to suggest.

J K Rowling has talked about the overriding theme being redemption, but there are also many, many other Christian ideas in there.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's worth distinguishing between books with overtly Christian content, and books that like the Narnia books 'slip past watchful dragons.' IMO the latter have far more power in the world, but the former are the ones that people buy and give to kids.

--------------------

Sacristan&Verger
Apprentice
# 17968

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan&Verger   Email Sacristan&Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I second I am David by Ann Holm?
My son had it as a present from his Godfather and I re-read it recently - it's stood the test of time. An excellent read.

--------------------
Did I do something wrong today or has the world always been like this and I've been to wrapped up in myself to notice?

Posts: 8 | From: Beside the sea | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I should recommend the books in my sig - particularly Ideocide, which is suitable for young adults, although it is aimed slightly higher. Clearly you should buy it, check it out and see.

It does have spiritual elements to it - it is about a challenge to preconceptions, so intended to make people think.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

TANGENT Well in that case you'd want something better than Dawkins! I always thought that his problem was that they gave him a Chair in the Public Understanding of Science and he thought it was a Chair in the Public Misunderstanding of Religion END TANGENT
If you really want a good alternative to a Christian world view, I'd suggest "The Earthsea Trilogy" by Ursula K. Leguin, a taoist/atheist. Even though it isn't theistic, it is very morally and ethically based.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
20 years ago I owned a bookshelf-full of specifically Christian young adult fiction (think most of it was a Scripture Union series called Impressions, or some such). As I recall, most of it didn't have very much literary merit. The one work I found of better quality, which I've re-read a couple of times and still own my copy of is Telling The Sea. I've doubled-checked and it is by a specifically Christian publisher, but it doesn't shove any messages or evangelism down your throat - indeed the pastor in the story is one of the least likeable characters. It's not a literary marvel and I don't know how well it will have stood the test of time from 20 years ago but I enjoyed it and it might be worth a look.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are not specifically Christian, but worth reading all the same:

Mars Evacuees and Space Hostages by Sophia McDougall

The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (first one in the internal chronology is The Lives of Christopher Chant but the first one she wrote was Charmed Life )

I expect you've already read this one, but it's a classic and does have overtly Christian themes:

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

The above are more likely to appeal to girls than boys.

For older teenagers it might be worth considering some of the works of Simon Morden (who is a Christian, and in fact a Shipmate) and Adrian Tchaikovsky (who is not a Christian, but who has just written a cracking SF story that is obviously heavily inspired by the Bible - Children of Time )

Oh, and what Brenda said. Read good books. You probably won't want to read/recommend books by authors who are overtly hostile to religion (Simon Morden's Petrovitch series also has a main character who is very anti-American), but don't pick badly written books just because they're "Christian".

Albertus:
quote:
<continuing tangent> No, his actual problem is summed up very neatly in the title for his book The God Delusion - it's a fairly common delusion amongst academics of a certain age. I thought it was his autobiography the first time I saw it in a bookshop... <\end tangent>
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for Narnia. I was talking with a couple of 17 year olds at the weekend who were unaware about the underpinning Christian aspects of the books had enjoyed them as children and found them thought-provoking all the same.

The Sacred Diaries of Adrien Plass entertained me and my friends as teenagers.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A surprising number of people do not and still have not noticed the Christian underpinnings of Narnia. The quickness of the authorial hand indeed deceived the eye.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
No, his actual problem is summed up very neatly in the title for his book The God Delusion - it's a fairly common delusion amongst academics of a certain age. I thought it was his autobiography the first time I saw it in a bookshop... <\end tangent>

[Snigger] Lots of doctors, too.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Narnia:

And some people mistake it for an allegory--when, from a Christian view, it's better than that. Aslan isn't a symbol for Jesus--he *is* Jesus, as he's known in that world. That's why Aslan told the kids he'd brought them to Narnia so they'd get to know him better in their own world.
[Cool]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, Lewis was far smarter than that. The author of Allegory of Love knew precisely how to handle allegory.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (first one in the internal chronology is The Lives of Christopher Chant but the first one she wrote was Charmed Life )

And the first one which should be read should be "Charmed Life", because it needs to be read in ignorance of what is learned in "Christopher".

And I'm not sure that the books are particularly going to appeal to some as Christian. Partly for the same superficial reason as Rowling. They are moral, of course. Can't quite put my finger on what is making me doubt - it may be the thread of - not sure what to call it, but I had the impression in both the books (which I have devoured with enthusiasm) and the autobiography on line, that I might not find her a person unlikely to take dislike to people.

[ 03. November 2015, 19:13: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
If you really want a good alternative to a Christian world view, I'd suggest "The Earthsea Trilogy" by Ursula K. Leguin, a taoist/atheist. Even though it isn't theistic, it is very morally and ethically based.

There are now 5 books in the
Earthsea series, which I think is brilliant. Personally I have always found the Narnia books a bit preachy and dated, although I realise this may be a minority view, and they are popular.

I have always had a soft spot for The Little Prince since I was given it as a Sunday School prize many years ago.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Having said that, everything depends upon the reader you have in mind. A boy will not do well with Little Women, but every girl should read it. An older child of bookish bent will do great with Phantastes or perhaps the Curdie books by George MacDonald, but a kid who demands a modern tone would be better with something recent.

A bookish child may do well with almost anything, aimed at girls or boys. When I was under ten I wasn't much interested in anything that had the air of 'social realism' or girl's boarding schools, but Little Women was far enough in the past to be historical fiction, which was acceptable.
I blame C.S.Lewis and Arthur Ransome. Both wrote children's adventure novels with prominent girl leads. I never felt books with girl leads weren't for me.
I read Princess and Curdie when I was under ten and loved it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Diana Wynne Jones books. She was an atheist, but I think she went to a Quaker school and I think that might have influenced the way the magic works in her stories.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In this day, when everything has to compete with the kids' texting, I would simply encourage reading fiction. Any and all fiction -- let the child graze. The lamb knows when the grass it's eating is good, and instinctively seeks more. I doubt if anything really important to me was given to me or recommended to me by anyone. I found them all, myself, hand over hand, following from one author to the next. From Narnia to LOTR, to Sayers to Dante with a long side trip into Nero Wolfe and Donald Westlake, and now I am knee-deep in Dickens and Trollope...

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
. She was an atheist, but I think she went to a Quaker school

She did indeed.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016