homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Stir-up Sunday (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Stir-up Sunday
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

I detest Christmas cake, which is probably why I can be so cavalier about making these, but as TP loves any kind of fruit cake, he will be my guinea pig. If they work even moderately well, they will be my effort for a charity bake sale. As I am running the bake sale, I feel I have to contribute.

UK Fruit cake is absolutely delicious. I was very glad visited in Advent last time came, as people were pressing their fruitcake on me everywhere.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"Gave us", as in, people in the UK actually eat prairie oysters? I have only heard the thnigs referenced as a joke or a dare, around here.

'Lamb's fry' certainly used to - and may still - be sold in butchers particularly in the north of England.

And the cook in an 18th C country house would expect to send up not only joints but whole head, tongue, udder, feet, cheeks, ears, 'stones', sweetbreads, tripe, brains and eyeballs.

Nowadays, of course, we just call them burgers.

Ah. Here they become "Hot Dogs."

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Ah hahaha. I just love the idea that USAmericans shudder at British food.

I wave my pork-scratchings at you, cliffdweller.

OOoooooo scary.

Hubby has a lot of Scottish blood in 'em so he's already waved the haggis my way...

Today I tried to suggest BBQ for Christmas dinner (more Californian than American I suppose) but he won that round... I'm willing to give that up as long as Christmas pudding is off the table for discussion.

[ 20. November 2015, 21:38: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

BBQ Christmas just seems so--- southwest. I would balk too, I'm afraid. "Whomp up some wings as a side dish and leave the turkey alone!"

There is nothing in Haggis that isn't in salami, right? I guess I would be willing to try it.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you've had a truly great homemade Christmas pudding, you understand why the shop bought ones are so unpalatable to people. However trifle is my preferred Christmas dessert - I prefer Christmas cake with Wensleydale as a mid-afternoon snack in the strange week between Christmas and New Year, watching one of the middling quality Bond films with a cup of tea.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now see, tea and trifle I could do. Maybe I'll suggest that...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The Christmas coffee hour/ tea time staple specific to the Bay Area seems o be the See's chocolate 1 pound box. Forget Ghirardelli, Sees is downhome San Francisco Peninsula.

They make these wonderful things called molasses chips-- basically very thin, very crisp toffee wafers dipped in chocolate, and his one bonbon which is some sort of nougat with rum ,soft cherry and walnuts center, which I used to hate but have grown to love.

[ 21. November 2015, 03:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh and just in case this is an official "who can take it" contest-- A magical Lutheran Christmas to you.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gentle reminder: recipes to the recipe thread, please, where foodies who may not be reading this thread will enjoy them, and where they can be preserved (or pickled, hardboiled or baked) for posterity, long after this thread has gone the way of all other threads. Thank you!

Fruitcake and mince pies are traditional here at this time of year but there are some truly awful ones around that have put many people off. The Classic British Christmas Cake is typically made by an old lady who used to make these in munitions factories during the war. It has bombproof icing that has to be attacked with a power saw and which then shatters, a thin layer of marzipan and some quite inedible dark stodge with gritty raisins underneath. The Classic British Mince Pie is made of thick, heavily sugared shortcrust pastry with an unidentifiable sludgy filling with gritty raisins that tastes of vinegar and sugar. The Classic Christmas Pudding... well, you get the idea.

It's not easy to buy a good commercially made mince pie or fruitcake. Homemade are variable but can be quite a lot better, ditto Christmas pudding. At least you can make them to your own taste and put in as much brandy over the preceding weeks as you want.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they need feeding. Why would you expect a half-starved Christmas cake or pudding to taste good?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*moans orgasmically*

We had a truly fantastic fruit cake today - made for last Christmas - full of great lumps of candied fruit, black as the inside of Satan's posing pouch, and solid enough to build walls from. Moister than a new bride, and richly fed with brandy like the bride's father.

It was amazing! It also seems to have inspired my tongue to run away with itself, must be the brandy.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't agree with putting chocolate into Christmas pudding, but have taken to substituting grated beetroot and grated carrot for some of the dried fruit because the many diabetics in the family were having problems.

Anyway, pudding mixture is 'resting' in a vast pan at the moment, ready to be put into basins and steamed [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by cliffdweller
quote:
The things you Brits eat just make me shudder.
This from a native of the nation that gave the world Twinkies, Grits, Cheese Wizz, Velveeta, the jello salad, corn dogs - the list in endless.
L'o -- I agree with most of your list, but as a 'son of the south' I must protest your inclusion of grits. Properly prepared (with cheese & backed) they are truly something to 'make glad the heart of man.' (And woman, too, of course!) JMHO, naturally.

Plus I ate Jell-o most days of my growing-up, and apparently suffered no ill effects. The red kind got peaches and the green kind got pears (both canned, of course) included if it was to be taken to a church supper. (But MY mother never did it that way!) [Snigger]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I don't get the grits objections - not that much different to polenta surely? Also corndogs are delicious. Wish you could get them here!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Don't agree with putting chocolate into Christmas pudding, but have taken to substituting grated beetroot and grated carrot for some of the dried fruit because the many diabetics in the family were having problems.

I usually put carrot in mine, but I've never put beetroot in. It sounds really odd to me, but that's mostly because I usually eat beetroot pickled.

Chocolate seems like altogether the wrong flavour.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, a kitchen hater like me is rather unlikely to visit a recipe thread. The OP did not state we were to discuss stirring up our cakes and puddings without mentioning what was in them. In fact it asked for recipes and stories.

Anyway, the smell of fruitcake and gingerbread is wafting through Chez Banner; the first lot of the 3 ingredient mini cakes is out; (although I added a 4th ingredient - a goodly amount of tawny sherry) TP has obligingly done the taste test and given it the thumbs up. In fact he has lined up for seconds, thirds and fourths and has declared it a wondrous recipe because it is not sickly sweet.

I shall be making this again because it is so dead easy. The ginger ale and fruit provide enough sugar. It is a moist cake, and the soaked fruit leaves a very pleasant aftertaste on the palate.

The next bowlful I make I shall put butterscotch schnapps in it instead of sherry to see how that affects the taste.

The gingerbread dough got hijacked by one of my daughters who needed to contribute to a bake sale at her workplace tomorrow to raise money for Movember. She has made 50 packets of rather fetching Gingermo's - ginger nut cookies in the shape of moustaches. They even have icing sugar "milk mo's" along the lipline of each.

Simply created using two different sized heart shaped cookie cutters. I have obviously raised a clever cookie...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not directly on topic, but I feel the need to raise the matter here. Waitrose has brought out a new Christmas cake design. Iced in white fondant, and with three 3D edible fondant figures on top, two of them standing. That's Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus in the manger. My first thought was "that's not on". My second was, there can't be any theological objection to eating the baby, but Mary and Joseph? It just doesn't feel right.

[ 22. November 2015, 20:37: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
*moans orgasmically*

We had a truly fantastic fruit cake today - made for last Christmas - full of great lumps of candied fruit, black as the inside of Satan's posing pouch, and solid enough to build walls from. Moister than a new bride, and richly fed with brandy like the bride's father.

It was amazing! It also seems to have inspired my tongue to run away with itself, must be the brandy.

Quotes file! [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... then there was BSE, after which brains and T-bone steaks were totally off the menu ...

Not totally; there was a butcher up the road from us in Belfast who carried on selling the most magnificent T-bone steaks all the way through the "crisis".

And I do mean "magnificent" - they overlapped the edges of a dinner-plate, and were utterly delicious.

I think I'll pass on the brains though ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubtless those steaks were brought over the border from the Republic fresh every morning. Oh yes. Oh definitely. Honest.
Long time since I've had calves' brains but I remember liking them- a soft, rather creamy flavour IIRC.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... That's Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus in the manger.... there can't be any theological objection to eating the baby, but Mary and Joseph? It just doesn't feel right.

[Killing me] This kind of post could only happen on the Ship. All hail, baby-eater!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like liver, kidneys and sweetbreads, but brains are vile. Without prejudgement that one, I was fed them in a French bistro as a child, didn't know the French, had never seen them before and hated them on first taste.

My local butcher got used to me buying odd things to cut up while my daughter was taking GCSE biology. We did go on to eat the kidneys.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little thing which might please some: the Stir Up collect mentioned above featured in the service I attended yesterday. No communion, so it was the collect.

--------------------
arse

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We're among the fortunate few who still use the Book of Common Prayer (Canada, 1962), so it was the collect of the day for both our services yesterday - Eucharist and Evensong.

I love that collect - it just gets me in the right mood for the start of Advent next week.

Cranmer's matchless prose rocks ... [Smile]

[ 23. November 2015, 13:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may well look down your nose at this, but I did use a conflation of the CW Collect and Post-Communion in our service yesterday ... of course including the "stir up" bit!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not at all, BT - you're heading in the right direction ... [Devil]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I'm agin putting chocolate into things it shouldn't be in.

But definitely for using "agin" as often as possible in conversation for the rest of the day.

Like Hot Cross Buns.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

They are also agin the haggis - but not alone in that. I remember hearing a former diplomat recount how she was trying to buy the ingredients in a butcher's in Geneva: 'You do sell those parts, don't you?' 'Yes madam, but not for humans.'

/Tangent
Lodging in the UK in '58, where my landlady had a very dependable stove I decided to make bran muffins, a favourite back home. Went to the grocer and asked for bran. Blank response; the only name I could think of was Allbran but that was clearly not flakes. Came a senior woman, who found some coarse wholemeal. No good. The manager in turn thought maybe rolled oats. No. So very hesitantly, he suggested that the corn merchant who was a very reputable dealer would have such a product for pet food – he was sure it would be clean. I checked with a friend to see what their kids fed their guinea pig – definitely the right stuff.
I made some excellent muffins and shared them with the friends and their boys – they called them Laxative Buns.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love bran muffins, I used to bake them for my brothers who called them Ragamuffins due to their texture.

I'm making 4 cakes this year but I'm putting a cardboard divider in a couple of them as they are for fewer people. (this is easier than using smaller tins as the divided cake bakes for the same time and at the same temperature as a whole one).

I love Christmas baking, but for myself I make a diabetic cake and share it around as many people as possible.

Huia

[ 25. November 2015, 07:44: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never thought of using a divider in the cake tin - thanks Huia, I will try this! I had four small round cake tins but the mixture made enough for 6 small cakes. So I emptied out a couple of large cans of peaches and used those tins with a baking paper lining. Worked very well. I love the different versions of Christmas cakes available now - I particularly like the ones that are tall and cylindrical and iced to look like a large white Christcandle.

Not that I like marzipan or fondant - I was taught how to do all those things by a wedding cake maker, but it is so involved I really can't be bothered. The small cakes I made are simply topped with flakes of blanched almonds.

I may make a chocolate cake for Christmas and ice it with white fluffy icing and put chocolate Christmas trees around the side. I saw a pic of simple drizzled chocolate trees (the kind Mr Messy might make) and I liked them a lot. Much easier than carefully following a traced pattern on baking paper and then trying to peel them off in tact. It won't matter if these ones don't come off perfectly.

BL. Mrs.Messy in the kitchen.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were thinking of making a batch using some mini-muffin silicone trays we have, a dozen to a tray. From the quantities in the recipe, I'd say that the 3 trays would be enough. We weren't going to ice them. Some flaked almonds as you say would be good. What temperature oven did you use and for how long did you cook them please?

You said mixed fruit - I assume that means a packet of mixed fruit and peel from the health food shop?

[ 25. November 2015, 19:55: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I like liver, kidneys and sweetbreads, but brains are vile. Without prejudgement that one, I was fed them in a French bistro as a child, didn't know the French, had never seen them before and hated them on first taste.

My local butcher got used to me buying odd things to cut up while my daughter was taking GCSE biology. We did go on to eat the kidneys.

If they're done properly, brains are very delicate and a good starter dish. They really are a restaurant item though as the cleaning, then crumbing and deep-frying don't really fir into our household routine. Other offal is delicious - liver (either calves or lamb's fry) kidneys, tripe... Sweetbreads are hard to get here and you rarely see them on a menu either.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We were thinking of making a batch using some mini-muffin silicone trays we have, a dozen to a tray. From the quantities in the recipe, I'd say that the 3 trays would be enough. We weren't going to ice them. Some flaked almonds as you say would be good. What temperature oven did you use and for how long did you cook them please?

You said mixed fruit - I assume that means a packet of mixed fruit and peel from the health food shop?

Like all fruit cake recipes they need to go in a moderate to slow oven for a fairly long time. Fan forced will cook quicker than gas. If baked as one cake, about an hour and a half. Divided into smaller separate cakes, close to an hour. As muffins I guess about 30 minutes. They don't rise a lot, so pick a minimum time and keep checking them until they are not soft in the middle.

Ikg mixed fruit from the supermarket was what I used. If buying from organic fruit stores or market places watch the content of mixed peel. Some vendors pack out their bags with lots of citrus peel - it makes for a far less tasty cake imho.

Be warned: This 3 ingredient cake mixture cooks into a light coloured fruit cake, so it you want a dark batch, you will need to add Parisienne essence.

I also intend to mix some of the baked ones with sticky date ice cream and freeze them to make cold Christmas puddings.
When the temperature in parts of Oz is 40 degrees celsius at Christmas time, an ice cream pud is much appreciated around 2pm on Christmas Day.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Oh, and any unwanted/leftover or surplus to requirements Christmas cake will be crumbled, mixed with melted chocolate and made into Christmas balls during the Christmas to New Year period.

Hopefully this is the Christmas cake recipe that just keeps on giving!

BL. Trying to simplify things and still meet family expectations.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks for the tips, we'll give it a go some time over the weekend. Even better than an ice cream pud is plenty of fresh summer fruits in a bowl with an excellent home-made christmas pudding we get. It is made at home, and all proceeds apart from reimbursement of those ingredients which have to be bought goes to various charities.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Someone suggested to me that I make the little fruit cakes with gluten free flour as they don't contain egg or milk. Brilliant idea for gluten free Christmas cake.

I shall report back on the outcome.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banner Lady the divider is most successful when you use a long piece of thin cardboard and tent it in the middle with its ends braced against the ends of the tin (if you see what I mean) because it's difficult to stand the card up on edge - which I've done with the cake currently [Biased] in the oven.

A friend was very unimpressed when his 'slice' of carrot cake at a local café was transformed into one of those candle shapes, he complained that the surface area for the icing was severely reduced.

Huia - another messy baker

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

A friend was very unimpressed when his 'slice' of carrot cake at a local café was transformed into one of those candle shapes, he complained that the surface area for the icing was severely reduced.

I'm with your friend. That ain't right.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Oh, and any unwanted/leftover or surplus to requirements Christmas cake will be crumbled, mixed with melted chocolate and made into Christmas balls during the Christmas to New Year period.

{my emphasis}

Sorry, does not compute - how can Christmas cake be 'left over'? I know you're in another hemisphere, but that sounds like an alternate universe! [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I accidentally kept Stir-up Sunday by putting the cherries in brandy for Back Slider Cherries, the dried cranberries in Cointreau for Cointreau-ed cranberries and salted cashew clusters, I may call them C4s and the mint leaves in the icing sugar (I made the mint crunch last weekend).

This coming weekend is make boxes with next the big make weekend.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016