homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hair (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hair
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the days when I had a jawline and just the one chin, i had sharp, layered and very short. I was determined not to be one of the little old ladies pottering along for the weekly wash and set.

But this year I thought wotthehell and let it grow. Also, no more of the tactful ash blonde to meld with the grey. Auburn, chestnut, mahogany, plum.

So, are you
  • I've worn it this way since 1977. I see no reason to change.
  • Life without sculpting clay, gel, rollers and a hairdrier is inconceivable.
  • Wash'n'go
  • I put my twice wekly visits to the salon down as professional expenses
  • What hair?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried letting it grow. It looked horrible - thin, limp, straggly with an annoying bend on one side of it. I cut it back, shorter than I wanted but it seems to work better that way. With the passage of the years I've had to cut it increasingly short, at this rate by the time I retire it'll be a Number 1 haircut.

I colour it. I used to use auburn but that no longer goes with my skin tones and I've switched to dark instead. Other than that it's wash'n'go. I never bother with a hairdresser, I don't want to pay a small fortune to have something cut off and thrown away when I can do a quite respectable trim myself for free.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cut it when I feel like it, which happens every 8 months or so.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've kept it pretty short and curly (permed) for about 20 years. It's wash-and-wear with no fussing on my part. The last five or so years I'd had it slightly colored as well.

Last spring my long-time hairdresser retired, so I got some recommendations from friends. I tried the first one for several months, but she just wasn't the person for me. I've just started with a new one who seems to be great. She may recommend some changes, so we'll see how that goes.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have long curly hair. It was semi-afro style, and a bit of a mess.

One day, I decided to have it cut short - to half an inch, rather than the 9 inches it used to be. It looked much better. So I have kept it short ever since.

These days I get it buzzed to a #2 cut every 6 months and that does me well. Easy and manageable. I normally reckon that if I have to dry it or comb it, it needs cutting.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine is now very long indeed.

I find it easy, I can tie it back every day and up on hot days, but if I need to be posh I can have a snazzy 'updo'.

I can't decide on fringe/no fringe 'tho and keep veering between the two.

I'm growing the colour out to ascertain my natural colour, I have about 8 inches natural now. I'm mouse mouse mouse but hardly any grey. Once it's all mouse I will decide on some suitable, subtle highlights.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the daughter of an army officer we lived all over the world so I was taken to the army barber with my brothers... [Eek!]
After we settled in the UK I insisted that my parents let me grow my hair and they eventually did but my Dad maintained it was better short. It was long, thick glossy and wavy and a rich ash brown.
At 17 I realised that my Dad had in part been right and although my hair was lovely it dwarfed my face and so I saved up my money and took myself off to Vidal Sassoon's salon to have it cut- I saw a TV programme about him and for some weird reason decided that was the only place I would trust.
Apart from two other excursions back into long hair (first at the request of husband and then later my daughters) it has been a short, pixie cut all my adult life.
When I started going grey I experimented with colour and had a lot of fun and varying degrees of success....the henna disaster in particular comes to mind.
Then I moved to Kenya and decided that the colour options here looked a bit dodgy so I let it be and most people including me like it grey. So I have a youthful pixie cut from my Kenyan stylist on my elderly grey hair!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a really good hair stylist who cut my hair to a good short style - on the cruise ship! I'm now weighing up the possibilities again.

when I realised that people thought I was a brunette, while I thought I was mousy blonde, I started having highlights, so I looked the way I thought I did, but once I started greying, I stopped, as the colour looked more like what I thought again. I'm still not entirely grey.

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 'difficult' hair. The hours hairdressers have spent restraining or straightening my curls have been hours wasted - however pleased they are with the end result I know it will only last an hour or two at the most. My hair loves to live in the west of Ireland, the damp atmosphere suits it very well. Unfortunately I have to live elsewhere!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wash'n'go pretty much, never colour it now (the last time I had colour/highlights was 2001). The grey is really showing now, highlights-style, it has been for some years, but I have found a great hairdresser who is always very complementary about it and says people pay a fortune for colour like it. He is in Glasgow, but although we moved from there 4 years ago I still go there to the same guy, as I so appreciate that I have found someone who gets that I am not going to spend hours straightening/styling/curling/bunging gunk on my hair but will just give it a blow dry for a couple of minutes. I only go twice a year, so I don't mind paying a little bit extra.

I quite happily use Lidl shampoo, it seems no better or worse than any of the more expensive ones I've tried. I might have to concede and start buying a conditioner as well though, as it has got particularly dry over the last couple of years, and goes really frizzy in damp weather.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I can't decide on fringe/no fringe 'tho and keep veering between the two.

I don't have a problem with that these days.

I tried a shampoo that said it "brings out the shine", but people objected to the reflection from my bald patch.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
The grey is really showing now, highlights-style, it has been for some years, but I have found a great hairdresser who is always very complementary about it and says people pay a fortune for colour like it.

When my hair first started going grey that's the way I felt. I had strangers come up to me in the grocery store and compliment me on it. My then hairdresser used to try to take credit for my lovely highlights. [Smile] But then it got greyer and greyer and I looked a lot older than I felt, so I started to color it just enough to "turn back the clock" a few years.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh, henna.... I always associate it with crocheted maxi dresses and patchouli incense. The powder made up into a green mud that smelt like stewed tea, but it did condition beautifully. Colour varied - probably the most...interesting... result was the summer I applied it onto sun-bleached hair. Orange. No two ways about it. Plus my favourite outfit at the time was a bright pink boiler suit.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, the only hair dye I am not allergic to is henna. So grey it is.

Currently my hair needs cutting. I had 7 inches cut off earlier this year, not for the first time, and went back to short for the summer.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't fuss with my hair, and therefore it must always be wash and wear. For some years after I began to go gray I had my hairdresser color it. But then my California relatives announced that hair coloring was Probably Dangerous for the Environment, so I had to quit. My hairdresser allowed that she could cut it so that it would look like I Meant To Do That, and so I told her to have at it. And it does indeed now look as if I have artfully streaked it myself!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My head is due its twice weekly shave.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
UKCanuck
Shipmate
# 10780

- Posted      Profile for UKCanuck   Email UKCanuck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty much a wash-n-go kinda guy. I'll spiff up the top with an itty-bitty dollop of wax if I'm feeling fancy but, otherwise, it's so short that I don't even need to comb or brush. In fact, the only mirror I have in the house is a small travel one for shaving. As for colour, progressively silvery. If I ever coloured it, it would be something like purple or green. [Cool]

--------------------
"No, the Canadian flag does not look like a giant nosebleed, so put that thought out of your mind right now." - Will & Ian Ferguson

Posts: 148 | From: Cardiff, Wales | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have very thick dark brown hair (darkest, almost-black shade) which is just starting to get silvery grey hairs. I got it cut into a pixie cut almost a year ago now and it was the best decision I ever made - my hair is so thick that it took a long time to dry after washing and was so hot and heavy in summer. I just wash and go, using a little hair serum if it's feeling dry. I love Palmers products despite not having afro/black hair.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have baby fine hair that used to be naturally blonde. The blond is now out of a bottle. For the last few years I've worn it long, usually up in a librarian style bun (I like a bit of type casting). I'm considering going back to the short crop I had before, but can't quite make up my mind.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good cut every four to six weeks and for the rest wash, dry and out. I had it permed twice and henna'ed for a while when it started fading. I was upset that it was not going grey!

I do fuss about the cut, as despite being short and straight my hair still manages to be contrary. I find a hairdresser who can cut it and stick with them. I have also had the same style for over a decade. I am short haired but with the rate of growth if I ever wanted it long then I think that would take about six months only as it has totally grown out in five weeks and displaying its contrariness.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
So, are you
  • Wash'n'go
  • What hair?

I'm almost of the "What hair?" breed. I do have some vestigial hair which I allow Mrs Whale to take a number two trimmer to every so often. She mourns the thick hair I had when we married. In my 40s I went through the midlife crisis stage of growing a pony-tail, but it started looking ridiculous when even more of my hair fell out. I am so happy that baldness is not as uncool as it was when I was a kid. Remember those embarrassing Bobby Charlton comb-overs anyone? Exemplified by this Hamlet advert.

One of my sons let Mrs Whale at his hair with a number two earlier this month. He seems to want a regular hair cut - once every seven years or so. We still have his pony-tail from the previous time.

[ 21. November 2015, 21:04: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

So, are you
  • Wash'n'go
  • What hair?

Wash'n'go probably describes my hair - it's longish, and I have it cut about once or twice a year. Possibly also 'I've worn it this way since 1977' - I was three in 1977, and my hair was also longish and wavy and unstyled back then. I've had a couple of different hairstyles in between (not sure that 'styles' is quite the right word, but they could be categorised into short, awkward in-between length, and long) but they were all wash'n'go.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extremely thick, dark brown hair and way too much of it with reddish highlights--though by this time it's doubtless all steel-gray, as I got my first white hair at 19. [Waterworks] For basically the first time in my life I'm growing it out long in a fit of rebellion--at least in my neck of the woods, it's the younger women at work who all have long long hair, and the older ones are supposed to have very short old lady cuts. (By the way, guess who gets promoted?) So I said "fuck that" and began growing it out--only to get fired anyway. But the hair growing continues, because the next time I cut it short it'll likely be forever.

I am trying to learn things to do with it that don't look too severe or otherwise wonky on a fat round face. Advice much appreciated! Bangs are from hell, and I will never do them again.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 1-2 cut every few weeks - if it gets to the stage where it needs any more attention than a towel dry and a quick rub with my hand it is too long. Back when I was a wee lad of about 30 I had it shoulder length and it was a pain but I was vain and wanted it like that until one lunchtime when I disappeared to the barber and came back with it short - it's stayed mostly short since. I am also receding a little so this looks loads better. Last time Saheer tried to get me try a 1-2-3 but I stuck to my guns. I have occasionally had a Number 1 but prefer the 1-2.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had it short for the last couple of years.

Right now it's Blue and Pink but it has also been Red, purple and brown, Blue and Purple and just Purple in the last few months.

I am living my teenage years later in life.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I am trying to learn things to do with it that don't look too severe or otherwise wonky on a fat round face. Advice much appreciated! Bangs are from hell, and I will never do them again.

Mine is that length - just to the shoulder - where it is too short to put back or up to any great extent. I'm reluctant to blow dry too much, as it makes the hair dry and brittle. Plus I am rubbish at styling (unless 'haystack' counts as a style). My SiL recommends some high end clays - which while they don't induce the desire to immediately go wash it out of some styling products - don't reward with that spectacular a difference, given the price of them.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Extremely thick, dark brown hair and way too much of it with reddish highlights--though by this time it's doubtless all steel-gray

I love stell grey, I want steel grey. I even considered dying it steel grey - but would then have to deal with dark roots [Paranoid]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I have baby fine hair that used to be naturally blonde. The blond is now out of a bottle. For the last few years I've worn it long, usually up in a librarian style bun (I like a bit of type casting). I'm considering going back to the short crop I had before, but can't quite make up my mind.

Mine is baby fine too and used to be white/blonde - I find it much easier to deal with long!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Big Bruvva [72] is all white, a full head of it - and I am SO jealous! It really looks fab.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was two, with a baby fine natural "bubbles" style, my aunt took me with her to the hairdresser and told them that she wanted hers done like mine.
Now I'm in my seventh decade, it's reverting to type, only with some thinner areas! In between, I thirsted for long hair, but even when I had it, the wig ladies in the opera house, when asked what they would do with it, chorused "cut it" (in French.) I would love a Judi Dench cut , but the whirlpool swirl of my double crown prevents it. However, the transition from light reddish brown to grey looks OK, and my present hairdresser goes with what the hair will do. When it starts to cover my ears, I know it's time for a trim. Definitely washn'n go.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hair was a mop of curls 80 years ago and it's still got a good wave. For many years I cut it myself but I love the feel of having it cut, and when I'm at Matarangi I go to a local hairdresser with whom I have a special relationship: I'm 'the lady who comes all the way from the capital city to have Maggie cut her hair'. Just off the collar is about right; there was a very brief period when I went as far as a pony tail just to see what it looked like but it wasn't me. The Grandad would get very cross if someone cut it too short, resulting in an Old Lady Short Short Cut.
My darling mother-in-law tinted her hair almost to the end. She said to me 'GG, your hair is going white. You should put some colour.' To which I replied, 'Nana, when you are young you have brown hair and smooth skin; when you are old you have white hair and wrinkles, and that's life.' It's actually still pepper-and salt.
I wonder if it's actually got finer and finer over the years. It's always in my eyes as soon as I step out into the ever-present wind. They ask if I want some Product on it, but no thanks.
The Grandad had a shock of white hair to the end, making it easy to spot him if we got separated in a crowd, even though he wasn't extra tall.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was forced to have very short hair when I was young. Once I got to an age where I could grow it out it's been long ever since, with the exception of one year in my late twenties. While it used to be brown with deep red highlights it is now all white. I got my first white hair at the age of 17. Dyed it after the white streak in the front I had in my late twenties started creeping back. Gave up on dying it over a decade ago and have kept it long and all one length. I too, hate bangs with a passion.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hairdressers will tell you that white hair has a different texture and body than darker hair. Also your hair does change texture over time.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Extremely thick, dark brown hair and way too much of it with reddish highlights--though by this time it's doubtless all steel-gray, as I got my first white hair at 19. [Waterworks] For basically the first time in my life I'm growing it out long in a fit of rebellion--at least in my neck of the woods, it's the younger women at work who all have long long hair, and the older ones are supposed to have very short old lady cuts. (By the way, guess who gets promoted?) So I said "fuck that" and began growing it out--only to get fired anyway. But the hair growing continues, because the next time I cut it short it'll likely be forever.

I have a fat round face and love my pixie cut with bangs/fringe! My haircut is based on this.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My haircut is based on this

(Code fix)

[ 22. November 2015, 19:59: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Aaargh! This is what I get from trying to post a link on my phone. Sorry.

--------------------

Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Short, greying (since I was 15) and wash and go. When I was in my 20s and the greying was beginning to show, my mother told me to "Get a rinse, as I am not old enough to have a daughter with grey hair." But I replied that if she was old enough to say "rinse" in this context then she certainly was old enough for anything! Anyway, I don't feel like me with dyed hair.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hair's thick with a bit of a curl. It frizzes at the first sign of humidity so I have to work at it with the straighteners.
I was a blonde child but went darker so once the grey started to appear I had blonde highlights put in - much better!
I now have 2 colours put on, the lighter shade is more ashy so the grey roots hardly show.
Good to have a great hairdresser, don't know what I'll do when she retires.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When younger dark, almost black and very curly (eyelashes too)

Now white and receding. Number 4 cut - so short. Complimented on tidy hair tonight!

One of the misses M has inherited the dark curly hair: she's looks rather pre raphaelitish

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hair has always been straight and has been brown for twenty-five years since it changed from baby blonde. I did briefly try bleaching it, and it was horrible and labour-intensive and didn't suit me at all. I envy people with thick hair, and they envy me.

For an opera a few years ago I learned to put in curlers and then, for the second act, wheech them out and make my hair into Victory Rolls. the wave (with the help of mousse and gel spray) lasted for just long enough while I was performing, then fell flat.

For a Gilbert and Sulivan I was required to do tiny plaits all over my head all day, then take them out just before each performance leaving my head looking like I'd been plugged into something high voltage. I then wound the resulting frizz around a fake-flower headdress and put on a ridiculously melancholy expression and a long pink frock made from old curtains. I managed to get the frizz to last two nights.

For weddings I put it up, for work I scrape it back. It was cut professionally about 18 months ago and I hang over the bin to trim the ends when it gets ridiculously long.

I had a really lovely jaw-length trim in New Zealand in 2010. Mr C hated it and wanted to see it grown back as soon as possible.

Cattyish, waiting for the grey, or perhaps to just fade gradually.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was young and broke I used to cut my own hair, longish and straight round. I even learned to put a fair layers in the front. I was always very chuffed when people complimented me and I would say, “I have this hairdresser called la vie en rouge…” After that I cut it into a short angle-cut bob. This is one of the most difficult cuts to get right, so no way could I cut it myself. My hair grows fast so this required trimming at least every six weeks.

I had an amazing hairdresser who I would have trusted with my life. After a while I used to just turn up and say “do what you like”. He always did a great job. Then one day I turned up at the salon and he was gooooooone [Waterworks] . A couple of years later, I’m still looking for someone else and I can’t find anyone else who cuts my hair nearly so well. It is one of the frustrations of my life.

I grew it completely out for my wedding and I think I’ll keep it like this for a while. In some ways I think this is less work than short. In the summer, I can just wash it, roll it up and let it dry on its own. A classic bob definitely requires blow-drying and really needs straightening with irons to make it look impeccable.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
My haircut is based on this

My haircut is based on this.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For almost as long as I can remember I've wanted straight hair; I remember asking my mum (who had properly Naturally Curly Hair™) why other girls' page-boy hairstyles and bobs sat beautifully and mine didn't. She replied, in a matter-of-fact sort of way, "that's because they have straight hair, dear". She was right: every specific hairstyle apart from actual perms seems to require straight hair for it to work properly.

What I actually have is short, dark, slightly wavy* hair which will go its own way unless ferociously herded with hair-dryer and straightening-iron.

It gets washed, blown dry and straightened every morning; if it didn't, I'd look as though I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. Every couple of months or so I colour it just before having it cut - I'm not quite ready to let the greys take over yet.

* just wavy enough to be a pain in the ar$e, but not curly enough to be properly curly

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
She was right: every specific hairstyle apart from actual perms seems to require straight hair for it to work properly.

erm... [Biased]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to grow my hair and it got to the point where it was almost to the top of my legs when I stood up. I had to tie it back at work (stupid uniform rules) and because I work outside a lot of the time one windy night shift I got really irritated by it.

I went to the hairdresser the next day and got it shaved to a number 4 on top and a number 2 round the sides. The hairdresser kept asking me if I was sure and genuinely looked a bit scared when she took the clippers to it. I love it because it's so easy. I wash it and by the time I'm out the bath it's dry and I never have to think about it. I get it reshorn about every month or so.

I've had a lot of women come up to me and say that they wish they were brave enough to shave their heads and I always advise them to go for it. The only disadvantage is that my friend's wee boy insists I'm a man because 'girls have long hair.' But then at 3 he's old enough to tease about his gender stereotyping (sort of).

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
She was right: every specific hairstyle apart from actual perms seems to require straight hair for it to work properly.

erm... [Biased]
Oh all right then - every specific hairstyle apart from ones that only look good on non-Caucasians. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was as blond as can be until in my 20s. About the same time I started to form the tonsure I have now, it went sort of a light brown grey. Then my moustache started coming in white, and beard more salt than pepper. Somewhere in there I stopped getting the french braids which alternated with the 1975 John Foggarty look. We spent a fair bit of time letting our freak flags fly because we thought we were rebels and somehow cool. No doubt today I'd have a "man bun" and consider myself equally cool (I was never actually cool).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
A classic bob definitely requires blow-drying and really needs straightening with irons to make it look impeccable.

Ain't it the truth. I actually went to the Bother of blow drying this morning and was rewarded with a neat halo - for about 10 minutes. Then it was back to wispy mophead.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother insisted on my hair being kept short. I have a bit of a natural wave, and short always meant some tuft sticking out at right angles. I hated it, and begged to be allowed to grow it. I have no idea why my mother wouldn't let me, but she was implacable. She used to come with me to the hairdresser because she knew I couldn't be trusted to have it cut short. I was 18 the last time my mother stood over me and had it cut, and I cried for hours afterwards.

The plus side to this is that while my contemporaries went to University and thought "Freedom! Sex 'n' drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll!" I went and thought "Freedom! Hair longer than my chin!" And so it was. I've never had short hair again. Alas, I've never been able to grow it much past my shoulders. I'd have it waist length if I could.

It's wash n go. I like the idea of doing something with it, but am entirely clueless.

[ 23. November 2015, 18:28: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Melisande
Shipmate
# 4177

- Posted      Profile for Melisande   Email Melisande   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hair is extremely straight and extremely long (when I start tucking it into my waistband it gets a trim), and pretty much always has been, though once or twice a decade it hops partway up my back. I had bangs/fringe from first haircuts to about 34, and then grew them/it out. With that, and with the great deal of grey now in, especially around my face, the kids on my younger daughter's schoolbus thought I looked like a witch. I miss having the dramatic contrast of dark hair/dark eyes/pale skin, but I also resent the implication that I should dye my hair to look other than who I am at the moment, even like a younger version of myself. The way I look 44 is a valid way to look 44. And 44 is a valid age to be.

That said, one of these days someone will ask me to dye my hair for a community theatre show, and I will, and I will like it better, and I will be deeply conflicted about that.

Posts: 302 | From: The western Main Line | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016