homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hair (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hair
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of cruel things mothers do to your hair, I'm still getting over having a ribbon knotted painfully into mine (see avatar for details). The next episode of sustained hair-pulling was the Home perm - anyone else remember those acrid saucers of pink goop? And when did it stop being an everyday sight to see women with their hair in curlers?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine thin mouse coloured hair, crown off centre, neither dead straight nor curly - just a slight kink in it here and there - means I have never been good at doing my own hair, and neither have many hairdressers. Even the occasional perms I tried when younger fell out quickly. A sensitive scalp means staying away from a lot of products.

I hated the fact that older women seemed to always have short hair, badly permed - blech - and loved seeing elegant old European ladies with neat chignons or crowns of plaits. This was ever my ambition, but sadly as I got older my hair got even thinner. My dad went a glorious silver in his old age so I wanted to see if mine would too - but around the age of 50 could not stand that the top of my head was silver and the rest of it still mouse brown with pepper and salt in between.

The turning point was when I had to go to a party dressed as a diva, so I chose someone I could do a passable imitation of - Susie Quatro. The hairdresser obligingly razor cut my hair into a mullet and put caramel highlights through it to blend all the different colours. It was so damn easy to look after it has stayed that way ever since. Still long enough to twist up into a clip or cage if I want to lose the wild mullet and look "neat" but loved that the inner rock chic finally was outed in my middle age.

Thoroughly recommend finding a hairdresser who can razor cut if you have fine thin hair. It is a bit of a dying art, but was the answer to all my hair woes. So was the half head of caramel highlights. Much easier to look at myself in the mirror these days!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went through a phase of putting my hair up in my twenties. It was never very long, a bit below my shoulders, there's a lot of hairs, but they are fine. Not enough length for a chignon. I could never get them to lie flat properly. There were always loops of the under hair pushing up through the top layer. Imagine Evita Peron with solar prominences every so often round the scalp. Not a good look, either in a French pleat or the sort of topknot (backcombed ponytail curved under and gripped down over pleat) the hairdresser tried once. I had to sneak home through the back streets and get it out immediately. (Have a look at Prom Queen, down at the bottom of this page for what she was aiming at. She so failed. Updos! )
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The next episode of sustained hair-pulling was the Home perm - anyone else remember those acrid saucers of pink goop?

Remember them? I can still smell them.

And the results were horrid.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my age I thank goodness I still have it all (having had a made-for-scientist forehead since I had hair), and that it's still the same colour (blond). Beyond that it gets a wash and a comb and after that it can lump it.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

erm... [Biased]

Oooies. I think the braided hawk with black/blue extensions would possible be a bit too extreme for work but I so want it.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wash'n'go. Can't be bothered with anything more.

I hate the faff of having my hair cut - it gets done once or twice a year. Mostly at the point I have to make a double loop when tying it up to get it under a clean room cap without it doing an escape trick.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
quote:

erm... [Biased]

Oooies. I think the braided hawk with black/blue extensions would possible be a bit too extreme for work but I so want it.
Yeah! I keep mine close-cropped, but if I decide to let it grow again...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wash'n'go. I have fine straight hair which I wore long for years, and then in a bob which was high maintenance to keep looking neat. Now I wear it short with layers - if it won't fall into shape after a wash and brush it is too long.

I was dark blond until nature's platinum highlights took over so now I have two colours of woven highlights to restore it to something approaching the colour of my youth. Hairdresser's latest comment after the obligatory faff with the back of my hair before she headed off for the colours trolley - "Ooo, you are white now, aren't you?" [Roll Eyes]

One of these days I will embrace the white, but not yet. I might go a bit outrageous with it. I'm thinking pink streaks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very few non-hair colours look right with human skin, IMO.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feet are for pavements, but Pink is lovely. And this is gorgeous!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The last sentence was supposed to include this link.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like many women my age, I had my hair cut à la Lady Diana circa 1983, and apart from a couple of fairly disastrous deviations into perms and bobs, it's been like that more-or-less ever since. I've gradually had them cut it shorter, but it's still the same basic layered "flick-cut" with a side parting ("out of the eyes, dear" as my mum used to say).

I rather envy people who have the nerve to have interesting colours added. My boss (also in her mid-50s) gets a lovely riot of colours added whenever she has her hair cut, and it always looks well, but my colouring only extends to covering up the emergent greys.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My mileage varies!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:

My mileage varies!
[Big Grin] And naught wrong that it does.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hair is thick,course and slightly wavy, I have always tended towards long hair and on the few occasions I've had it short I didn't feel like me, In a moment of weakness a few weeks ago I had it cut into a long bob and it feels ridiculously short, but it does grow quite quickly.

My mother used to try to nag me into having a short crop as a child but my Dad was an on my side so she didn't win, apart from when I was due to start school and she had my waist length hair cut very short with the excuse that it was to prevent me catching nits

My natural colour is strawberry blond but I have a few white streaks at the front so tend to cover it up with die. My mother at age 81 has hardly any grey and her hair which was mousy when younger darkened into brown in her fifties. My Son, on the other hand, at age 31 has a lot more grey than me.

If I didn't have to work, or worked at a place where I could get away with it, I would love to have it died in royal blue and jade green

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I grew up with long lovely red hair and then I hit my 20s and the red began to fade to a slightly redish brown. I cut it short in mylate 20s and grew it back but never dyed it because of a disaster in my late teens whch gave me pink hair for a while.

About 7 years ago I had it cut short and spikey and discovered short really suited my face shape. About 5 years ago still mourning the loss of my childhood red hair I started dyeing it back to its origional red. I have now settled on a short pixie cut and a home dye job about every 6 weeks.

This week I tryed a new red and ended up with Elmo hair. My friends and my husbannd all think it looks funky and I love the fact that in 6 weeks any disaster has mostly faded and grown out and I can have another go!

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Dee, lovely to hear from you.

For years my curly, untamable hair was long. It was plastered down with pins etc but little bits still wormed their way out. The brethren group I married into seemed to regard loose hair as seductive and sinful, so every bit was fastened down. Hats at meetings to cover it all.

After we left, I cut it, much to my husband's disgust. He easily cast off any expectations which had been placed on him, but believed hair on women should be long.

For some years recently son's partner who was a very good hairdresser cut and coloured it. I paid her,she did a great job. After they separated I continued but then found the travel of two buses and an hour in the train a bit much.

She cut it last Christmas day and left it to now go silver which suits me. It had not been cut since. Yesterday fiancée of middle son took me to audiologist and we found a local salon with a vacancy. So I now have it very short again. I hardly recognise it. My sons will be happy. They have been nagging for months to gave it cut.

[ 28. November 2015, 03:23: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
On the subject of cruel things mothers do to your hair, I'm still getting over having a ribbon knotted painfully into mine (see avatar for details). The next episode of sustained hair-pulling was the Home perm - anyone else remember those acrid saucers of pink goop? And when did it stop being an everyday sight to see women with their hair in curlers?

Yes. My mother used to put my hair into curling clips, with the lotion and the little slips of paper, and I used to have to sleep with these in to be taken out first thing in the morning. I must have looked like a scowling Shirley Temple. When I was a bit older she gave up on trying to make my irredeemably straight hair curly, and I had to wear a hairband instead to get my hair swept back off my face and out of my eyes. I really hated these.

The home perms were fun, weren't they. I ventured on one at the age of 17 and was quite excited as I undid the rollers, only to find that my hair was even straighter than it had been before and because it had just been permed there was nothing that could be done about that for at least another month, and I couldn't even colour it to cheer myself up.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had a h**rc*t. The one before was in April. I'll be fine until September.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I have just had the shaggy look tamed. It's really cold on my head, now! [Eek!]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wednesday, Daughter-Unit gave me my yearly hair cut. It was halfway down my...um...posterior, and a bit too long. She took twelve inches off, and now it's halfway down my back.

When it's this length, I either braid it, or wear it in a bun. When it's longer, it's braided or in a braid bun. I used to wear it loose, but in this Personal Summer™ age, it's too hot. I figure my hair will be good for keeping me warm in the next, colder stage of life!

I had strawberry blond hair most of my life, then the dreaded white clump appeared. When I dyed the thing to disguise my age, it stubbornly refused to stay colored. It won. Now my hair is a third white, a third dark red, and a third gray. Oh, there's one strange clump of gold hair. Does that make me a calico?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother tells hair-raising (apologies for bad pun) tales of the things she and her friends used to get up to styling their hair in the 1960s. Sellotaping a curl to your face while you slept was apparently one favourite technique. Ironing it (i.e. with the iron you use for laundry) was another [Eek!] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
My mother tells hair-raising (apologies for bad pun) tales of the things she and her friends used to get up to styling their hair in the 1960s. Sellotaping a curl to your face while you slept was apparently one favourite technique. Ironing it (i.e. with the iron you use for laundry) was another [Eek!] .

While sitting in a bath in your jeans and filling the sink with tie-dyeing T-shirts. What fun we had in those days.

[ 30. November 2015, 13:44: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. Remember the endless backcombing and gallons of hairspray?
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Did anyone else scorch chunks of her hair whilst drying it in front of a gas fire?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are photos of me, age 3 months (unable even to sit up!) with curlers in my hair.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... Sellotaping a curl to your face while you slept was apparently one favourite technique ...

Yup, remember that (although I didn't actually do it myself). I do, however, remember having spongy rollers in my hair on Saturday nights to curl it inwards when I had a page-boy cut.

I needn't have bothered - it wanted to curl outwards, and the rollers made the square root of diddly-squat of a difference. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite long, dyed black for now. Crimped unless I'm in a hurry.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016