homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The quick brown Lord's prayer loves my big sphinx of quartz

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The quick brown Lord's prayer loves my big sphinx of quartz
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the Purgatory thread debating the appropriateness of running the Lord's prayer as a cinema ad, a much more serious issue has emerged: having cinema ads suitable for winning the game of "let's see who can spot all the letters of the alphabet".

In view of this, the lack of Qs, Xs and Zs in particular in the Lord's Prayer has been bemoaned.

Your suggestions for alphabet-completeness-friendly alterations to the Lord's Prayer are hereby invited.

I would like to introduce an X by adjusting a late-on line: "lead us not into taxation".

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
"lead us not into taxation".

I think the American right already do pray that.

To which I must add: "Forgive us our xenophobia, as we forgive those who are xenophobic against us."
[Two face]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thy Queendom come.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lead us not into hazards.

Now we need the missing J.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Lead us not into hazards.

Now we need the missing J.

You have done away with my X!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Give us this day our daily bread and jam.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Our Father in Heaven, we just want to say Hallowed be thy name".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

[Killing me]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does not add any letters, but...

...lead us not into advertising seems apt.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Give us our daily smørrebrød.

(Just making sure we're being inclusive in our alphabet.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reminded of this version which I think will appeal to Baptist Trainfan:

Our father who art in Hendon
Harrow Road be thy name
Thy Kingston come, thy Wimbledon
In Erith and it is Hendon
Give us this day our Berkhamsted
And forgive us our Westminsters
As we forgive those who Westminster against us
Lead us not into Temple Station
But deliver us from Ealing
For thine is the Kingston
The Purley and the Crawley
For Iver and Iver
Crouch End

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Westminster may be beyond redemption and forgiveness

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

I'll give you two guesses as to where I work (and am sat at the moment)....

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

I'll give you two guesses as to where I work (and am sat at the moment)....
1. The boudoir of the Whore of Babylon

2. The stables of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

How'd I do?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There should clearly be a special stanza on the end.

Oh Lord, we pray for the unfortunately named, including all called Ungainix, Venelux, Xzy and Zandu. Give them rest and their parents an ounce of sense.

--------------------
arse

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always said "Howard be thy name", which clarified Jesus H. Christ. We also wondered ahout "Our Father Witch" and his art in Heaven. What's he painting anyway?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
We always said "Howard be thy name", which clarified Jesus H. Christ. We also wondered ahout "Our Father Witch" and his art in Heaven. What's he painting anyway?

So much more polite than 8-year-old me's blasphemy of "who farts in heaven".

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a long-running debate with my wife about a line in God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen.

Other than being totally over-used, one of the verses says:

"The which his mother Mary
Nothing did take in scorn."

Which is either a) bad English or b) calling Mary a witch.

--------------------
arse

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... actually its
The which His mother Mary
Did nothing take in scorn:
O tidings ...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I was reminded of this version which I think will appeal to Baptist Trainfan:

Our father who art in Hendon
Harrow Road be thy name
Thy Kingston come, thy Wimbledon
In Erith and it is Hendon
Give us this day our Berkhamsted
And forgive us our Westminsters
As we forgive those who Westminster against us
Lead us not into Temple Station
But deliver us from Ealing
For thine is the Kingston
The Purley and the Crawley
For Iver and Iver
Crouch End

The great Ian Dury, I believe. And
here he is performing it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

(Does this thread's title miss an f and a j? [Razz] )

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... actually its
O tidings ...

Are you commenting on my punctuation? If so.. well, y'know..

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
The great Ian Dury, I believe. And
here he is performing it.

I have to admit that version was being sung in our household as I composed the OP.

If we accept "Queendom" we have lost a "K".

[ETA and if we accept "hazards" we have lost an X unless we accept Mr Cheesy's extra line, which seems a bit like cheating to me]

[ 24. November 2015, 15:47: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

OK, here is an effort to do it without adding extra clauses or words that make no sense:

Our Father in heaven,
Your name be exalted!
Let your kingdom come, let your justice rein,
On earth as in heaven.

Equip us today the food we need.
Please overt your gaze from the sins we have committed as we try to forget the hurts others have done to us.

And please don't test us.

--------------------
arse

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... actually its
O tidings ...

have never heard that line/verse

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mr cheesy: OK, here is an effort to do it without adding extra clauses or words that make no sense:

Our Father in heaven,
Your name be exalted!
Let your kingdom come, let your justice rein,
On earth as in heaven.

Equip us today the food we need.
Please overt your gaze from the sins we have committed as we try to forget the hurts others have done to us.

And please don't test us.

This one has no b?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Sorry, overlooked it. It does have a B.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr cheesy: [Overused]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pedant alert: it should be "avert" and "reign"...

Very impressed though [Overused]

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangentially, we see the same construction in John Pearson (1676), "and to all the flock over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overſeers."

From an article in the National Review: Even stranger is the moment when we’re told that the newborn babe was laid within a manger — the which his Mother Mary / did nothing take in scorn. You’d think that would create some which–witch confusion for modern singers, but not even children hesitate at the line. English doesn’t use the which as a construction much anymore. Still, when carolers sing it out, the phrase seems to come from the authentic heart of the language. It feels right, somehow. It feels old.

Not "much anymore?" I knew the National Review had antiquated attitudes. I didn't realize they sometimes used antiquated grammar.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016