homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Giving that make you smile

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Giving that make you smile
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going into shopping malls during December makes me want to scream, so I try to avoid doing this every year. But there are some gifts and some giving that does bring a smile to my face.

Finding a comic book style bible with the Christmas story done in Minecraft pics was a delightful find for me this week, as two of my grandchildren love Minecrafting.

What gifts have you received or given/giving that have made you smile?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband is getting into mixology -- the mixing of cocktails. Naturally I encourage this hobby with energy. This Xmas I am buying him a silicon mold that allows him to make ice cubes in the shape of the Death Star. (It is desirable to have one solid chunk of ice in some drinks, rather than many cubes.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Going into shopping malls during December makes me want to scream, so I try to avoid doing this every year.

Me too, me too - I avoid shops from the end of October.

quote:
What gifts have you received or given/giving that have made you smile?

My nieces are both over 40. Through the year I buy them all sorts of gifts which I know they will like. I wrap them up separately and put them in a gift bag for them like I did when they were 7 years old. I love doing it and they love receiving them [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something I really, really would have loved to get my Dad: one of those “give an experience” days driving a JCB. He’s always wanted to have a go. Unfortunately all the ones I’ve found are too far away. I have a bit of a sad about this.

Brenda has reminded me: for my husband I have found a print your photos site where you can print Star Wars film posters with your own photo inserted. I may also get him a chocolate Darth Vader.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an uncle to 5 children aged 7-11 (yes, we had 5 consecutive years when there was a new addition each year), I love seeing their face when you've got something just right.

It's something that they love, but they didn't ask for. Thing is, I am a bit competitive, so I love seeing the kids playing the present I bought them.

Often it's something very small. This year, I expect the Top Trumps - Baby Animals will go down a treat with one young lady.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of ours assumed he would not have children and delighted in buying noisy, messy or downright dangerous gifts for ours.

Ours are now young adults and he has 8 year old twins. Oh, the joy of buying them fart whistles, kazoos, football rattles etc. This year we have bought them science kits to make alarms.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My niece is one of those people for whom sprouts taste horrid. Every year she is asked to try them, just one. This year I think of getting her chocolate sprouts. Please note I would not get her sprout flavour chocolate or chocolate covered sprouts. Those are just mean.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by NEQ:
A friend of ours assumed he would not have children and delighted in buying noisy, messy or downright dangerous gifts for ours.

Ours are now young adults and he has 8 year old twins. Oh, the joy of buying them fart whistles, kazoos, football rattles etc. This year we have bought them science kits to make alarms. [Big Grin]

I believe my sister is now getting her come-uppance for much the same reason. kingsnephew is now three and a quarter so not really old enough for science kits yet, but I'm waiting....
[Two face]

[ 26. November 2015, 11:47: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
... kingsnephew is now three and a quarter so not really old enough for science kits yet ...

He's old enough for a miniature drum-kit though ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All noisy toys that my nieces and nephews receive "accidentally" get left at Grandma and Granddad's house.

For a 4 year old, fuzzy felt goes down quite well with both child and parent.

My one 'policy' was that I never gave the kids weapons of any kind. There's enough violence in the world, without confusing them into thinking it's fun.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For my birthday earlier this month I received a Tom Hiddleston colouring book. That made me smile [Biased] In previous years I received a battery-operated tribble (it has two modes: distressed twitter and contented purr) which still makes me laugh.

As for present giving, Godson#1 is getting a paint-your-own rubber duck this year. Hope it goes down well.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think that if I do a really lovely paint job on the paint-your-own-rubber-duck my sister gave me, and then give it back, that would go down well?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Penny S: Do you think that if I do a really lovely paint job on the paint-your-own-rubber-duck my sister gave me, and then give it back, that would go down well?
Just make sure the paint is water resistant.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the paint from the kit!
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc: Yes, I did worry about that. But as Penny S says, the paint comes with the kit, so either it'll be fine, or it won't and I'll be a long way away [Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Do you think that if I do a really lovely paint job on the paint-your-own-rubber-duck my sister gave me, and then give it back, that would go down well?

A friend (the same one who gave me the tribble) gave me a paint-your-own gnome. I loath and detest gnomes, so I painted it up and gave it to somebody else.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
For my birthday earlier this month I received a Tom Hiddleston colouring book. That made me smile [Biased]

Oh...wow. Is he dressed as Loki, is he, please, please, is he Loki, pretty please?? I want one NOW
[Snigger]

I'm sorry, I just had to look that up on Amazon...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy the look on the face of a young giver when someone opens the gift he gave them and their face lights up. Very heartwarming.

GG

[ 27. November 2015, 22:19: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016